Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI Loopers for iOS - any good ones?

I found MIDI Looper LIVE...but not a lot more.

I had a quick look at Loopy Pro, but while relatively easy to get audio loops down, it seemed a lot more complicated to do MIDI loops out to iOS synths.

Comments

• @pax-eterna said:
    I found MIDI Looper LIVE...but not a lot more.

I had a quick look at Loopy Pro, but while relatively easy to get audio loops down, it seemed a lot more complicated to do MIDI loops out to iOS synths.

Loopy Pro is only an audio looper. Capturing audio loops of MIDI synths is straightforward in Loopy, but it doesn’t capture MIDI. (It will some day, though).

For midi looping, there are AUs you can host in Loopy or AUM or Drambo of other hosts such as Atom 2, LK , MIDI Tape Recorder, Drambo.

• wimwim
    edited June 2022

Not quite sure what you mean. Looper as in "loops midi files for playback" or Looper as in a performance tool for live loop capturing like Loopy Pro, Quantiloop, Group the Loop, etc?

LK by Imaginando
    Helium by 4Pockets
    Atom Piano Roll 2 by Victor Porov
    MIDI Tape Recorder
    Drambo

• edited July 2022

wim, what I want to do is from the midi keyboard, record in some playing via MIDI in, and then save that as a loop in a looper so I can build tracks etc, rather than a DAW...DAW's are not really live tools.

I thought from the Loopy Pro intro it could do it but nope it cannot...hence asking if there is a MIDI one....MIDI Looper Live can, in that it records your midi data and then you can assign it out to a synth (or drum app, NOT a drumming app, a drum sound app)....then build up more layers (again in a live setting) with say a bass line and then playinb live keys over the top of that.

That's just an example really. And no, recording it into AUM and then assigning is not really the same thing :) even if it SEEMS the same.

I have a hunch I may have to look at a hardware looper somehow.

• @pax-eterna said:
    wim, what I want to do is from the midi keyboard, record in some playing via MIDI in, and then save that as a loop in a looper so I can build tracks etc, rather than a DAW...DAW's are not really live tools.

I thought from the Loopy Pro intro it could do it but nope it cannot...hence asking if there is a MIDI one....MIDI Looper Live can, in that it records your midi data and then you can assign it out to a synth (or drum app, NOT a drumming app, a drum sound app)....then build up more layers (again in a live setting) with say a bass line and then playinb live keys over the top of that.

That's just an example really. And no, recording it into AUM and then assigning is not really the same thing :) even if it SEEMS the same.

I have a hunch I may have to look at a hardware looper somehow.

All of the above apps can be used for that. Maybe not exactly how you're picturing though. LK, and Helium are probably the most intuitive. My gut tells me what you're looking for is more like a hardware midi looper than these though.

• Some day Loopy Pro will be the bomb for this.

• @wim said:
    Some day Loopy Pro will be the bomb for this.

yes, after having had a look at it (just started the 7 day trial) I think you are correct there!

• @wim said:

All of the above apps can be used for that. Maybe not exactly how you're picturing though. LK, and Helium are probably the most intuitive. My gut tells me what you're looking for is more like a hardware midi looper than these though.

Yes that was where my thinking was going too...pretty expensive for an experiment though hahaha!

• There is also a handy midi loop script in streambyter.

• Not sure whether it would meet your specific needs but ZenBeats does pretty good midi looping in the style of Ableton Live.

• edited July 2022

Found this from Jack Haq (funny guy) on using AUM and Drambo and it is pretty much exactly what I want to do...albeit swapping out the controllers he is using for my keyboard controller.

Will take some setting up in AUM, but only got to set it once and the "template" it.

• edited July 2022

@zzrwood said:
    Not sure whether it would meet your specific needs but ZenBeats does pretty good midi looping in the style of Ableton Live.

Thanks, but no, not looking for anything like ableton (LK mentioned in the above video does that and as Haq comments it is not for him, me neither)

• @pax-eterna said:

Found this from Jack Haq (funny guy) on using AUM and Drambo and it is pretty much exactly what I want to do...albeit swapping out the controllers he is using for my keyboard controller.

Will take some setting up in AUM, but only got to set it once and the "template" it.

This is what you want.

I use Drambo for live MIDI looping. It’s cool in AUM because you can have some instances with Auto grow on/off and quantise on/off. Quite versatile.

• @BroCoast said:

This is what you want.

I use Drambo for live MIDI looping. It’s cool in AUM because you can have some instances with Auto grow on/off and quantise on/off. Quite versatile.

thanks

• edited July 2022

In no particular order

Loop Bud
    Atom
    Atom 2
    Helium
    LK
    Photon
    Mozaic- I believe there are a couple midi looping scripts.

Oh yea…

Drambo
    Midi Tape Recorder - good for MPE

• Haq didn’t revisit after they added midi mapping

• Drambo is the midi looping king on iOS, especially since the introduction of auto grow.

• @supadom said:
    Drambo is the midi looping king on iOS, especially since the introduction of auto grow.

Does Drambo do completely unquantized MIDI recording that also includes CC's pitchbend and aftertouch?

What is the max loop length?

• @espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:
    Drambo is the midi looping king on iOS, especially since the introduction of auto grow.

Does Drambo do completely unquantized MIDI recording that also includes CC's pitchbend and aftertouch?

Yes, good questions. I'd be interested to know before purchase also!

• edited July 2022

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

Drambo supports unquantized recording. I’m not sure the exact micro-timing resolution but it seems plenty accurate. I’m still SUPER green with Drambo so there may be workarounds I’m not privy to for the following: It doesn’t seem to record “naked” CC’s but if you map the CC to a parameter, it will record movements to an automation lane. If you want to record CC’s to send to external gear, you can use a CC Modulator or CC Generator device.

My current controller (Electribe 2s) doesn’t have aftertouch or pitchbend so I don’t know if either is recorded by default, but there is a Pitchbend device that lets you record it and send it back out as needed.

Maximum clip length is 16 bars but you can drop the playback resolution down as far as 1/64th for a maximum theoretical loop length of 1,024 bars relative to the rest of your song. Note that, as with any other sequencer, this will reduce resolution for micro-timing.

Have either of you checked out MIDI Tape Recorder? It’s free and was specifically designed to do what you’re asking.

• MTR has no tempo control that I can see. Seems it was more designed for MPE data than anything else. haha ok if you have good timing!

• Gestrument Pro can also loop midi on the fly. It’s a lot of fun there

• wimwim
    edited July 2022

@pax-eterna said:
    MTR has no tempo control that I can see. Seems it was more designed for MPE data than anything else. haha ok if you have good timing!

It runs in a host and the host takes care of the tempo control. It’s not designed for MPE data any more than anything else. It’s designed to be robust enough and accurate enough to be able to handle MPE, but doesn’t give a rip what kind of MIDI data is thrown at it.

• @jrjulius said:
    Have either of you checked out MIDI Tape Recorder? It’s free and was specifically designed to do what you’re asking.

Yeah MTR is great but I find Drambo more suited to what I do.

IIRC Drambo unquantized mode is high resolution (960 ppqn or something.)

I can’t notice timing discrepancy, it picks up my sloppy playing perfectly.

• Firo4 is an application which I specifically use to loop MIDI live. I connect it via IAA to apps like AUM or AUdiobus but the app itself is able to loop MIDI.

I believe FIro4-CE, which is the free version, also allows for this feature. I actually use this more due to the brighter interface. Give it a go.

https://apps.apple.com/sg/app/firo4-ce-classroom-edition/id1509042974

• Does anyone knows if it’s possible to use Scaler 2 as midi looper?

• @BroCoast said:

@jrjulius said:

Yeah MTR is great but I find Drambo more suited to what I do.

IIRC Drambo unquantized mode is high resolution (960 ppqn or something.)

I can’t notice timing discrepancy, it picks up my sloppy playing perfectly.

I’ve been recording sampled snare drum rolls played with sticks and what goes in comes out. No issues.

• Zenbeats

• @seonnthaproducer said:
    Firo4 is an application which I specifically use to loop MIDI live. I connect it via IAA to apps like AUM or AUdiobus but the app itself is able to loop MIDI.

I believe FIro4-CE, which is the free version, also allows for this feature. I actually use this more due to the brighter interface. Give it a go.

I don’t have the paid app but the free version is a ton of fun. Sample import/recording leads to some cool stuff.

• edited July 2022

@wim said:

@pax-eterna said:
    MTR has no tempo control that I can see. Seems it was more designed for MPE data than anything else. haha ok if you have good timing!

It runs in a host and the host takes care of the tempo control. It’s not designed for MPE data any more than anything else. It’s designed to be robust enough and accurate enough to be able to handle MPE, but doesn’t give a rip what kind of MIDI data is thrown at it.

Fair...I'd prefer something that has some sort of tempo guidance when laying the first loop - my adherence to strict tempo is pretty ordinary hahaha!

• @HotStrange said:

@seonnthaproducer said:
    Firo4 is an application which I specifically use to loop MIDI live. I connect it via IAA to apps like AUM or AUdiobus but the app itself is able to loop MIDI.

I don’t have the paid app but the free version is a ton of fun. Sample import/recording leads to some cool stuff.

Does it have MIDI in from an external keyboard?