Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPhone only for now. Help or suggestions on iPhone only bedroom beatmaker’s workflow and apps?

For reference I make beats from Lofi to boom bap to trap or even emo/cloud trap/rap. I want to be able to mix down full tracks I’m not much of a live, let the music flow, not record just go with it type of producer. Typically I make tracks that local artists in my area record vocals too to make some side income. My iPad recently got stolen. I used that almost exclusively, but now I don’t have beat maker3 which way my main go to.

Any suggestions on workflows for iPhone only to make beats like this? I have lots of samples and loops and used koala a lot, recently bought Sitala.. I like AUM but it’s hard to get full mixed down tracks out of it. I do have Xequence2 but haven’t used it on the iPhone only yet… I also do like Zenbeats but it can be frustrating at times. My main thing is getting quick ideas out with koala but now I don’t know of an easier way to kinda get the stems out and further produce each element of my koala loops.. in considering AUM koala multi out and buying 4pockets multitrack recorder to separate and produce each track and add separate FX, then add them all back together with Multitrack, maybe adding different things with other AUv3s and plug-ins… idk if anyone has any easier workflows than that. I’m thinking Sitala seems it could be more helpful in certain apps than koala as a drum machine…

Idk I’m just both frustrated and need some other iPhone only beatmakers (please God let there be some) input. Also with my busy schedule it could be just a matter of sitting down and trying out different things. Problem is I just don’t know where to start… I usually started with bm3. Any guidance or help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• I usually make Lofi beats on my phone using koala. My workflow for it is to make my beats, export the stems, and then arrange and mix them using cubasis. I’ll export the finished song from cubasis and then be all done with it. Cubasis runs a little expensive but would let you develop more since it has a lot of stock instruments and effects plus you can use any auv instruments and effects as well

• Can’t recommend Auxy enough for iPhone only environment. Close second is Korg gadget.

• nanostudio 2?

• I would get Koala and unlock Samurai Mode for starters. It's simple on the surface but can go deep and has a shedload of amazing features. :) It can also be used as an AUv3 in a host app.

If you need a DAW for mixing down stems (and I think it does multitracking with an audio interface if I'm not mistaken), Cubasis 3 and its IAPs are really great.

Audioshare for your samples of course (but I assume you have it already).

I hope this helps mate.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    I would get Koala and unlock Samurai Mode for starters. It's simple on the surface but can go deep and has a shedload of amazing features. :) It can also be used as an AUv3 in a host app.

If you need a DAW for mixing down stems (and I think it does multitracking with an audio interface if I'm not mistaken), Cubasis 3 and its IAPs are really great.

Audioshare for your samples of course (but I assume you have it already).

I hope this helps mate.

Actually I have all three of those already lol I mentioned that in my post. I have both IAPs from Koala, Cubasis 3 (which I have always found slightly unintuitive and kinda strange or difficult to work with, like should I add AUv3s through an Audio channel or a MIDI channel? It’s annoying with koala to keep switching back and forth. However going from AUM koala multi out routed to a bus and then recording each koala channel through one bus into a Cubasis track to master? Or I could record groups through different buses into more than one track?

But with how heavy Cubasis can be and running AUM with all 8 koala multis, plus maybe a couple Drambo synths or FX, or some other synths, plus a bunch of AU fx on each channel… all being routed into Cubasis…. I have the newest iPhone 13 pro max but it sounds kinda heavy (it might not be idk it may handle it like a champ)

But that makes me wonder about 4pockets multitrack recorder app and if it’s lighter on cpu recording into that then mixing down and then mastering with cubasis? I’ve never used 4pockets multitrack recorder I’m not sure if I even own any 4pockets app but I’ve heard good things..

Idk lol I feel like there’s option overload but whenever I try to go for it in a certain direction I end up getting frustrated just cus I’m so used to the iPad. But that’s not an option right now and I need to keep producing lol.

• @ion677 said:
    Can’t recommend Auxy enough for iPhone only environment. Close second is Korg gadget.

So what about auxy it’s always seemed a little tame to me and not very much able to do what I’m wanting.. does it host AUv3s? Which are the best korg gadget IAPs for the type of music I’m going for? I’ve always been a little confused by gadgets workflow….

I also have Drambo and damn it I have tried so many times to just create a simple beat with it and always end up getting so frustrated and confused and I’ve looked at tutorials and read the manual etc… sigh

• If you don’t need integrated audio tracks, Nanostudio 2 is quite capable. Excellent built-in synth and sampler.

• @espiegel123 said:
    If you don’t need integrated audio tracks, Nanostudio 2 is quite capable. Excellent built-in synth and sampler.

I do a lot of sample based beats and I’ve messed with NS2 a couple times.. idk there’s something about the sampler that just kinda kills my creativity… and idk how good it is at taking long samples or making chops.

This is why I’m considering 4pockets multitrack recorder with AUM and even xequence2 also for other synths surprisingly (to me) it works on the iPhone

• edited June 2022

@pr4y_4_beats said:
    Actually I have all three of those already lol I mentioned that in my post.

Ah I must've missed that, lol. I was reading on my phone rather than my iPad, lol. Sometimes I can't see for beans. :lol:

I have both IAPs from Koala, Cubasis 3 (which I have always found slightly unintuitive and kinda strange or difficult to work with, like should I add AUv3s through an Audio channel or a MIDI channel? It’s annoying with koala to keep switching back and forth. However going from AUM koala multi out routed to a bus and then recording each koala channel through one bus into a Cubasis track to master? Or I could record groups through different buses into more than one track?

Well Cubasis is a pretty handy app once a person gets the hang of it, but perhaps you don't need Cubasis afterall if you are using AUM and 4Pockets multitrack recorder. I've never used 4Pockets multitrack recorder, but it seems the perfect thing to use for audio tracks within AUM.

But with how heavy Cubasis can be and running AUM with all 8 koala multis, plus maybe a couple Drambo synths or FX, or some other synths, plus a bunch of AU fx on each channel… all being routed into Cubasis…. I have the newest iPhone 13 pro max but it sounds kinda heavy (it might not be idk it may handle it like a champ)

An iPhone 13 Pro Max definitely can handle more advanced tasks. The A15 chip may not be as powerful as an M1, but it certainly is a lot more powerful than my old iPhone 11, and that phone was pretty darn powerful.

(Not gonna lie, I'm saving up for an iPhone 14. I don't need to Pro Max screen or cameras, just something with longer battery life than my SE 2 has lol.)

But that makes me wonder about 4pockets multitrack recorder app and if it’s lighter on cpu recording into that then mixing down and then mastering with cubasis? I’ve never used 4pockets multitrack recorder I’m not sure if I even own any 4pockets app but I’ve heard good things..

Me too. 4Pockets multitrack recorder may be the next app I spend some money on. Shoot, it's only $10.99.

Idk lol I feel like there’s option overload but whenever I try to go for it in a certain direction I end up getting frustrated just cus I’m so used to the iPad. But that’s not an option right now and I need to keep producing lol.

Yep, in my opinion, you probably don't need Cubasis 3. You can do all of your recording and mixing down in AUM and MIDI programming with Xequence 2, no Cubasis needed. You can record multiple tracks at once in AUM, which will automatically be stored in Audioshare. Then you can load those recordings either into AUM's fileplayer, or I think you can import into 4Pockets Multitrack Recorder, I'm not sure. Dang it, now I have to purchase that darn app and have a play with it to see what it can and can't do. :lol:

(Another option for MIDI would be Atom Piano Roll, but the MIDI programming isn't as fluid as Xequence 2 is for me. I really hope @SevenSystems will create a Xequence 3 that can be loaded as a MIDI AUv3 into AUM. That would be a huge game-changer, and I'd buy that in spite of already owning Xequence 2. ;) )

• If you sample, I'd say just build a full track in Koala, export stems to Cubasis, arrange layer as needed, mix, export.

• @pr4y_4_beats said:

@ion677 said:
    Can’t recommend Auxy enough for iPhone only environment. Close second is Korg gadget.

So what about auxy it’s always seemed a little tame to me and not very much able to do what I’m wanting.. does it host AUv3s? Which are the best korg gadget IAPs for the type of music I’m going for? I’ve always been a little confused by gadgets workflow….

For my taste, Gadget has always been far ahead of Auxy in terms of available sounds and instruments and its sequencer is easy enough to keep the fun. I'm not into trap but for using samples, bilbao has done a "fair enough" job. Stockholm is even better but if you want to go beyond the factory loops, you'll need a collection of your own choice REX/RX2 files.
    I've kept my old copy of ReCycle to create my own loops.

I also have Drambo and damn it I have tried so many times to just create a simple beat with it and always end up getting so frustrated and confused and I’ve looked at tutorials and read the manual etc… sigh

I guess the main problem is the lack of ready-made instruments, right?

• Maybe an off the beaten path recommendation but Beatly Pro is amazing. It’s more generative but you can upload your own samples, and arrange things as needed on the timeline. Very active developer who’s always adding new features, and it’s perfect for lofi. Even has a lofi mode.

You could also try some other groovebox apps. GR-16, Hypertron, Ampify. Blocs Wave as well.

It’s a little pricey but Beathawk is great on the iPhone. Gagdet as well. Hell, Triqtraq too. Most of those have a free version you can try.

• Vote for sticking with Xequence and AUM. You already know them and won’t waste time finding limitations with other apps. If everything’s labelled and bookmarked in AUM then still quite a fast workflow.

• edited June 2022

I work exclusively on iPhone (can’t afford an ipad 😢)

I use NS2 exclusively (start to finish - inc rough mixing & rough mastering using 3rd party auv3s). It’s rock-solid and its UX is second-to-none.

I use Koala auv3 for samples that require timestretching, and the built in Obsidian & Slate for samples that don’t. For stability I always resample the stretched samples from Koala and then load them in to Obsidian or Slate.

I use Audiolayer auv3 for long samples as it disk-streams.

Anything else (such as resampling) then I use 4Pockets’ MTR and Neon auv3s, but these then get imported in to Obsidian, Slate or AudioLayer.

As I’m building a track I resample all synth elements/parts as I go along (i.e. I commit everything “to tape” - i.e. I bounce in place) so my tracks end up very sample heavy even if in reality many of those samples originated as synth lines written within the track.

By the time the track is finished the only instruments I have left on the tracklanes are multiple instances of Obsidian, Slate & AudioLayer - all playing samples. No Koala, no MTR or Neon, and no synths.

I produce various styles of electronica, and the above works really well for me.

• That sounds like a great iPhone workflow, @attakk 👍🏼

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    (Another option for MIDI would be Atom Piano Roll, but the MIDI programming isn't as fluid as Xequence 2 is for me. I really hope @SevenSystems will create a Xequence 3 that can be loaded as a MIDI AUv3 into AUM. That would be a huge game-changer, and I'd buy that in spite of already owning Xequence 2. ;) )

Thanks, appreciate the fact that people (including myself!) still haven't given up hope on such a version still arriving some day ☺

• @SevenSystems said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Thanks, appreciate the fact that people (including myself!) still haven't given up hope on such a version still arriving some day ☺

If it's funding you need for development, add a tip jar or a GoFundMe. ;)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@SevenSystems said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

There'll probably be a separate "toy" app that I will recklessly announce as a tip jar for Xequence 🤣

• @SevenSystems said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@SevenSystems said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

There'll probably be a separate "toy" app that I will recklessly announce as a tip jar for Xequence 🤣

Lol! 🤣 Well anything we can do to fund you can and will be done.

• @pr4y_4_beats said:

@espiegel123 said:
    If you don’t need integrated audio tracks, Nanostudio 2 is quite capable. Excellent built-in synth and sampler.

I do a lot of sample based beats and I’ve messed with NS2 a couple times.. idk there’s something about the sampler that just kinda kills my creativity… and idk how good it is at taking long samples or making chops.

This is why I’m considering 4pockets multitrack recorder with AUM and even xequence2 also for other synths surprisingly (to me) it works on the iPhone

For making chops, I think you'll find Koala the star of the apps you've mentioned. The ability to have everything in the host rather than switching back and forth between apps is nice.

I think you will find that for midi editing, NS2 is similar to xequence and superior to Cubasis. It also has the advantage over the others in regards to the ability to change tempo and/or meter.

• @rs2000 said:

@pr4y_4_beats said:

@ion677 said:

For my taste, Gadget has always been far ahead of Auxy in terms of available sounds and instruments and its sequencer is easy enough to keep the fun. I'm not into trap but for using samples, bilbao has done a "fair enough" job. Stockholm is even better but if you want to go beyond the factory loops, you'll need a collection of your own choice REX/RX2 files.
    I've kept my old copy of ReCycle to create my own loops.

I guess the main problem is the lack of ready-made instruments, right?

No the main problem is figuring out multi out AUs like Koala and how to route them properly, or when creating a sampler or synth, somewhere along the line the routing seems to get messed up (it’s all user error) I know what makes a synth but it’s the routing I’m not sure about. Also the step sequencer is kinda annoying to me, seems glitchy but it’s probably just cus I’m not used to it

I’m glad he added a piano roll but.. yeah I think Drambo is amazing and I love the fact that you can create some awesome sounding synths and stuff. But for sample based or old school boom bap it’s just too much set up sometimes and I know I know there’s patch storage and I can make my own templates but yeah it’s like, trying to route the drums from koala or eg pulse to different tracks to put different fx on each drum sample is seemingly too difficult for me and I literally don’t have time in my schedule to sit down for 6 hours and really REALLY learn Drambo. I need something quick and intuitive. It took me about 1.5 hours to learn BM3 pretty well then when koala came out it was so intuitive to me it was pretty much that and bm3. Chop samples in koala, export each chop to bm3, had many drum banks and could easily get a song going pretty fast..

• @HotStrange said:
    Maybe an off the beaten path recommendation but Beatly Pro is amazing. It’s more generative but you can upload your own samples, and arrange things as needed on the timeline. Very active developer who’s always adding new features, and it’s perfect for lofi. Even has a lofi mode.

You could also try some other groovebox apps. GR-16, Hypertron, Ampify. Blocs Wave as well.

It’s a little pricey but Beathawk is great on the iPhone. Gagdet as well. Hell, Triqtraq too. Most of those have a free version you can try.

I actually own beathawk just didn’t like my first try with it so didn’t bother putting it on my iPhone. I also own gadget (any IAPs you recommend for grimey rap beats? Think wu tang clan, not “Gucci gang” or lil penis pump or lil yachty or any of the “lil” kids except maybe lil peep with the emo rap type stuff and juice wrld, it’s different, better IMP and not so… sold out? Also easier to make lol.. think mobb deep “shook one’s” not Nelly or Drake lol)

Oh and I own triqtraq too the pro version. Last I remember it seemed a little toy-ish… can you add user samples? Been messing with flip sampler as well… changed a lot since it first came out it’s slowly getting there

And i gotta be honest. I downloaded beatly pro cus the concept sounded awesome, but i could not figure out what in the hell to do, and the piano roll was really hard to work with and kinda strange controls. Really unintuitive (for me at least), maybe you know a good tutorial that would convince me to buy it again cus i straight up refunded that lol

• @SevenSystems said:

Hey, I tried the AUM to xequence2 destination using MIDI thru and being careful to set each channel to the right instrument midi port, etc.

I was trying to use xequence’s keyboard to record some sample chops with MSXII’s Chomplr.

What happened was I went to the keys tab and started randomly touching keys to make sure it was routed right (it was) but the keys i touched started flashing really fast and wouldnt stop and some keys i touched stay completely pressed. I know that there’s this feature where you press keys and some of them stay lighter color or something? Ive never been able to figure out what that is and have always had to touch them again to get them back to normal. Sustain is never on.

Anyway back in AUM and Chomplr the keys that where flashing EXTREMELy quickly like seizure inducing fast, were still triggering Chomplr so it was literally making noise like “dududuududahagwejgsgagagasdjjajasssshhsalasududud” and I couldn’t get them to stop even trying to press them again to disable the keys like they were stuck, then i cant remember if i turned off xequence or just unloaded Chomplr but thats all i had time to do and have not tried with any other apps in AUM so idk if it’s Chomplr related or what.

I had it going from AUM virtual source to xequence destination and then in X2 midi thru on and made sure that the only port being used on both ends was 1 as it was the only AUM track i had so far.

I also had start stop sync with absolute selected..

So this may be a bug idk i can try to reproduce it and send you logs? Shoot me an email at [email protected] if you would like me too. Meanwhile i will try x2 and AUM again with other instruments and ill even try using audiobus (easier to switch back and forth with that anyway,,, i just forget how to route it all in audiobus lol)

But just thought if youre already in this thread (which thank you for stopping by it means a lot I LOVED your app on my iPad Pro 2020 it was beautiful) that i would report a bug to you. Thanks!

And thank you everyone for your suggestions! You’ve all been a big help. Ive also been trying zenbeats and am undecided about it (just as i was on my ipad lol).. so much potential with zenbeats… it just seems… idk sometimes i love it and im like this is the perfect app! And sometimes im like where what when how and most importantly, WHY?!

• @espiegel123 said:

@pr4y_4_beats said:

@espiegel123 said:

For making chops, I think you'll find Koala the star of the apps you've mentioned. The ability to have everything in the host rather than switching back and forth between apps is nice.

I think you will find that for midi editing, NS2 is similar to xequence and superior to Cubasis. It also has the advantage over the others in regards to the ability to change tempo and/or meter.

Sounds like NS2 with 4P multitrack would be the best. Midi sequencing similar to x2 and audio sequencing thats apparently pretty good. Put them together? Anyone done this?

• @pr4y_4_beats said:

@espiegel123 said:

@pr4y_4_beats said:

@espiegel123 said:

Sounds like NS2 with 4P multitrack would be the best. Midi sequencing similar to x2 and audio sequencing thats apparently pretty good. Put them together? Anyone done this?

I have. I prefer Loopy Pro for recording audio but used the 4P app before that.

• @pr4y_4_beats said:

@HotStrange said:
    Maybe an off the beaten path recommendation but Beatly Pro is amazing. It’s more generative but you can upload your own samples, and arrange things as needed on the timeline. Very active developer who’s always adding new features, and it’s perfect for lofi. Even has a lofi mode.

I actually own beathawk just didn’t like my first try with it so didn’t bother putting it on my iPhone. I also own gadget (any IAPs you recommend for grimey rap beats? Think wu tang clan, not “Gucci gang” or lil penis pump or lil yachty or any of the “lil” kids except maybe lil peep with the emo rap type stuff and juice wrld, it’s different, better IMP and not so… sold out? Also easier to make lol.. think mobb deep “shook one’s” not Nelly or Drake lol)

Oh and I own triqtraq too the pro version. Last I remember it seemed a little toy-ish… can you add user samples? Been messing with flip sampler as well… changed a lot since it first came out it’s slowly getting there

And i gotta be honest. I downloaded beatly pro cus the concept sounded awesome, but i could not figure out what in the hell to do, and the piano roll was really hard to work with and kinda strange controls. Really unintuitive (for me at least), maybe you know a good tutorial that would convince me to buy it again cus i straight up refunded that lol

TriqTraq does allow user sampling as long as you have the pro version. It’s really intuitive imo. I’m also a fan of Flip sampler, I need to get into using it more. As for Beatly Pro, Doug from the soundtestroom has a 40+ minute video on it that should be enough to get you started. There should also be a manual in-app as well.

Really dig your influences. Shook Ones is a masterpiece of a song.

As for Gadget I think any of the stock modules will get you there. Bilbao and London are great. And Tokyo.

• @pr4y_4_beats said:

@SevenSystems said:

Hey, I tried the AUM to xequence2 destination using MIDI thru and being careful to set each channel to the right instrument midi port, etc.

I was trying to use xequence’s keyboard to record some sample chops with MSXII’s Chomplr.

What happened was I went to the keys tab and started randomly touching keys to make sure it was routed right (it was) but the keys i touched started flashing really fast and wouldnt stop and some keys i touched stay completely pressed. I know that there’s this feature where you press keys and some of them stay lighter color or something? Ive never been able to figure out what that is and have always had to touch them again to get them back to normal. Sustain is never on.

Anyway back in AUM and Chomplr the keys that where flashing EXTREMELy quickly like seizure inducing fast, were still triggering Chomplr so it was literally making noise like “dududuududahagwejgsgagagasdjjajasssshhsalasududud” and I couldn’t get them to stop even trying to press them again to disable the keys like they were stuck, then i cant remember if i turned off xequence or just unloaded Chomplr but thats all i had time to do and have not tried with any other apps in AUM so idk if it’s Chomplr related or what.

I had it going from AUM virtual source to xequence destination and then in X2 midi thru on and made sure that the only port being used on both ends was 1 as it was the only AUM track i had so far.

I also had start stop sync with absolute selected..

So this may be a bug idk i can try to reproduce it and send you logs? Shoot me an email at [email protected] if you would like me too. Meanwhile i will try x2 and AUM again with other instruments and ill even try using audiobus (easier to switch back and forth with that anyway,,, i just forget how to route it all in audiobus lol)

But just thought if youre already in this thread (which thank you for stopping by it means a lot I LOVED your app on my iPad Pro 2020 it was beautiful) that i would report a bug to you. Thanks!

And thank you everyone for your suggestions! You’ve all been a big help. Ive also been trying zenbeats and am undecided about it (just as i was on my ipad lol).. so much potential with zenbeats… it just seems… idk sometimes i love it and im like this is the perfect app! And sometimes im like where what when how and most importantly, WHY?!

Hey. Thanks a lot for the praise, happy to know you've been getting along well with Xequence since at least 2020 :)

What you're describing sounds a lot like a MIDI feedback loop to me -- i.e. you're pressing a key in Xequence, Xequence sends the MIDI to AUM, and then it gets sent back to Xequence, which has MIDI Thru enabled, thus again sending it to AUM etc. ad infinitum -- that would explain all the flickering and fast notes you're getting.

If this is the case, you'd have to break the loop at some point. i.e., turn OFF MIDI Thru in Xequence, as it doesn't sound like you actually need it in your situation anyway.

And by the way -- the fact that keys (the note names) stay lit up for a few seconds after pressing them is just a "convenience feature" for when you're looking for ideas and you wanna stay "in scale" so to speak. I hope that makes sense 😁

Cheers!

• Copy/paste from another thread:

I’ve made the vast majority of my music on my iPhone. It is the only way I can be productive because I always have it with me and I don’t often have a lot of dedicated music time. So I just fit it in where and when I can.

My past workflow was a bit much. I had Cubasis 3, EG Pulse, Bass 808, BLEASS Alpha, Lagrange, and TB Flowtones. I would then bounce it over to my iPad for mixing and mastering. But all of the composition happened on my phone. Example:

Nowadays, I mostly make lofi using Koala to chop drum samples and I throw in drum loops made in Beatly Pro. I compose, mix, and master all on my iPhone. Example:

I also sometimes make little pixel art animations and pair them with chiptune loops made with Beatly Pro, again all in my iPhone. Example:

Ultimately, it can be done. It does take some patience working with a smaller screen, but I also do all of my professional work on a single laptop screen whereas most others in my role have at least two monitors. So I’m used to a minimalist setup.