Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OP-1 and AUM

Are there any OP-1 (field or not) users around? How do you integrate it in your AUM workflow or the other way round? If there would only be a way to send and receive through usbc while being properly able to monitor what you are doing, an ipad and an op1 would be a killer minimal combination.

like using all the great effects of the ipad to spice up op1 tracks.

or playing along a sequence on AUM and recording it at the same time.

Comments

• @geesbert said:

like using all the great effects of the ipad to spice up op1 tracks.

Could just go audio out into AUM to achieve this I guess?

• yes, but then you need an audio interface, as the op1 hijacks both in and out of the ipad and there is no way to monitor what’s comming back to the op1 as it feedbacks.

• For sure. I shouldn’t have assumed, but I did (assume you had an AI)

• I do! Just for on the road it would have been great to use the op1 without one.

But I degressed, I wonder whether and how anyone uses the op1 in conjunction with AUM

• 😞 I agree that they should be a dream team in the following configuration:

Headphones
               │
               │             ┌──────────────┐
               │3.5mm out    │              │
    ┌──────────┤             │              │
    │   OP-1   ├─────────────┤     iPad     │
    └──────────┤   USB out   │              │
               │             │              │
               │3.5mm in     └──────────────┘
               │
               │
         ┌─────┴──────┐
         │  External  │
         │    gear    │
         └────────────┘

…but OP-1 can’t handle loopback audio, since everything that comes in via USB audio is sent back to the output, and you immediately get some gnarly feedback. Better audio routing options in the OP-1 would make it a far more useful instrument IMO.

It’s possible to use them together in the above configuration, but you spend a ton of time just disconnecting/reconnecting the audio in/out in AUM. I found it super annoying. These days if I want to use an OP-1 in my setup, I use it strictly as a USB audio input to my iPad, and use a dongle to hook my headphones up to my iPad.

┌──────────┐                ┌────────────┐
    │   OP-1   ├────────────────┤USB to USB-C├─┐
    └──────────┤   USB out      └────────────┘ │
               │                               │
               │3.5mm in        ┌───────┐      │
               │                │USB-C  ├──────┘
               │                │4-in   │
         ┌─────┴──────┐         │1-out  │  ┌────────────┐
         │  External  │         │dongle ├──┤USB-C to    ├──┐
         │    gear    │         └───┬───┘  │3.5mm dongle│  │
         └────────────┘             │      └────────────┘  │
                                    │                      │
                                    │        Headphones────┘
       ┌──────────────┐             │
       │              │             │
       │              │             │
       │     iPad     ├─────────────┘
       │              │
       │              │
       └──────────────┘

The setup is pretty annoying, and I prefer the synths / effects on my iPad to the OP-1 anyway, so I rarely ever use this setup. OP-1 is a strictly standalone instrument for me.

I’ve only tried this with the original OP-1, I have no idea if the field version works better.

• I use my OP-1 and iPad together all the time. Since it send audio and midi over usb, I record or sample iOS stuff to the OP-1s tape, sequence it’s synths with iOS apps, or Vice versa and record the op-1 into the iPad or use its sequencers or effects with incoming audio. However the only way to use OP-1s effects with iOS synths is by recording into the tape and using the master effect.

I love the op-1 for sampling weird iOS apps that have no connectivity. That’s why I never delete them.

• edited June 2022

I do have an OP1 and AUM, and I've integrated them, and integrated Koala as well.

But TBH, in the long run, the OP1 works bests for me by itself. It's a simple and great groovebox that is the easiest path to sketch some good musical ideas.

• @joegrant413 said:
    I do have an OP1 and AUM, and I've integrated them, and integrated Koala as well.

But TBH, in the long run, the OP1 works bests for me by itself. It's a simple and great groovebox that is the easiest path to sketch some good musical ideas.

I’m 50/50 on it. I like to use it with the iPad but it’s also a blast to use on its own. Especially when I’ve got it chocked full of some weird samples.

• I’ve only tried this with the original OP-1, I have no idea if the field version works better.

unfortunately it's the same with the field. With their OP-z they managed to tackle the feedback problem, I can't understand why even their newest product op1field is not able to handle this. Probably to sell more TX6 units....

• This setup is great on a desk, but for my taste on the road a tad too much.

My dream combo would be:

ipad mini running AUM
    op1
    one usbc cable
    headphones

• @geesbert said:

This setup is great on a desk, but for my taste on the road a tad too much.

My dream combo would be:

ipad mini running AUM
    op1
    one usbc cable
    headphones

Quick off-topic question mate. Are you able to access the OP-1 Field's internal files via the Files app? Like to take mixes on the master tape into Audioshare?

• unfortunately not(hopefully yet). on a mac you need a app called field kit, which is not available on ios yet.

this funtion is dearly needed