Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad 9th gen vs Air 2022

edited June 2022 in General App Discussion

I am still working on a 2017 ipad with 2GB ram/A9 chip. I use Korg Gadget for rhythm & sequencing, synths like Sunrizer, DRC (Zeeon on my short list) lots of fx and bring it all together in Apematrix. I am getting audio ‘cracks’ when I’m loading too much. I try to record stuff in Paul’s multitrack recorder to make things lighter, but still.. I hit the cpu more often than not. I don’t have exotic wishes of working with 5/6 synths at the same time. I mainly do minimal/dub/techno stuff. Will the last iPad 9th gen with 3GB(?) and a13 chip be a lifesaver here, or should I move on to an Air with M1 chip? The Air is a LOT more expensive.. :neutral:

Comments

• Imho, the iPad Air 3 is a tad less powerful but still can be bought for much cheaper than the iPad 9. If you want a ship ton of Moog plugins running, then the M1 Air is the way to go!

• @frosttrance_7 said:
    Imho, the iPad Air 3 is a tad less powerful but still can be bought for much cheaper than the iPad 9. If you want a ship ton of Moog plugins running, then the M1 Air is the way to go!

IPad Air 3 is a 2019 model, will not be supported by Apple for as long as a new model..

• @Slush said:
    I am still working on a 2017 ipad with 2GB ram/A9 chip. I use Korg Gadget for rhythm & sequencing, synths like Sunrizer, DRC (Zeeon on my short list) lots of fx and bring it all together in Apematrix. I am getting audio ‘cracks’ when I’m loading too much. I try to record stuff in Paul’s multitrack recorder to make things lighter, but still.. I hit the cpu more often than not. I don’t have exotic wishes of working with 5/6 synths at the same time. I mainly do minimal/dub/techno stuff. Will the last iPad 9th gen with 3GB(?) and a13 chip be a lifesaver here, or should I move on to an Air with M1 chip? The Air is a LOT more expensive.. :neutral:

It is a no-brainer... Ipad Air M1 Chip...

• @Slush said:

I have the basic 2020 iPad and it works fine for me. Of course it all depends on the apps you use and how much synths/effects you run at the same time. My previous iPad was the 2017 one and the difference was quite noticeable. The latest one is even more powerful.

If you want you could create a simple project in Gadget that puts your CPU to the edge and send it to me. I'll load it into my iPad and report back (I have all IAPs except Gladstone, Madrid, Ebina, Otori and Darwin). I don't have Apematrix, but I have DRC and Zeeon that I use in AUM.

• @branis said:
    If you want you could create a simple project in Gadget that puts your CPU to the edge and send it to me. I'll load it into my iPad and report back (I have all IAPs except Gladstone, Madrid, Ebina, Otori and Darwin). I don't have Apematrix, but I have DRC and Zeeon that I use in AUM.

Thanks for your input. I use Gadget mainly for rhythm & the Taipei gadget sequencing external synths in Apematrix. So it’s usually Gadget with 1 or 2 synths and lots of fx in Apematrix. Before you know you got 2 matrixes full of stuff going on. Some fx are more cpu demanding. My wife and I use the same iPad, with 2 webbrowsers and lots of tabs as well in the background. So we definitely need a second iPad for sure. But the thing is, there is such a huge price gap between the iPad and the Air.

• I don't know how relevant this comparison is, but it shows a big difference between A9 and A13: https://nanoreview.net/en/soc-compare/apple-a9-vs-apple-a13-bionic

The M1 chip is definitely more powerful, but A13 is already much better than A9 that you have in your current iPad.

• @branis said:
    I don't know how relevant this comparison is, but it shows a big difference between A9 and A13: https://nanoreview.net/en/soc-compare/apple-a9-vs-apple-a13-bionic

The M1 chip is definitely more powerful, but A13 is already much better than A9 that you have in your current iPad.

Indeed it is, thanks for this info!

• I'm regularly using wired quality headphones when making music so I guess my choice would be clear...

• @rs2000 said:
    I'm regularly using wired quality headphones when making music so I guess my choice would be clear...

I don’t understand, could you explain yourself?

• @Slush said:

@rs2000 said:
    I'm regularly using wired quality headphones when making music so I guess my choice would be clear...

iPad 9 has a dedicated headphones port, the Air 2022 doesn't. The only option would be to use the USB-C to wired headphones adapter which is not as mechanically robust as the headphones port on the 9 and I believe to remember that the Air doesn't have a separate port for charging.

• Works great on an Air 5 for charging+headphones:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08519D4R4?psc=1

• This year's WWDC points towards a stratification of iPadOS between those devices with an M1 and those without. An example that applies to music creation is DriverKit and AudioDriverKit specifically. They are marked as only working on the M1 based iPads. Maybe Apple will change this in the future and bring the capabilities to A level processors. It could be that no one ever delivers an audio driver for iPadOS too (I can't see why they wouldn't though, they are the same drivers as the macOS version). Memory usage is another example. Only M1 based iPads are going to get the new higher per app memory usage based on swap being made available on the M1 iPads.

I expect that this trend will continue too. Personally, I'd either hold out and wait to upgrade or go for the M1 based Air.

• edited June 2022

@rs2000 said:

@Slush said:

@rs2000 said:

iPad 9 has a dedicated headphones port, the Air 2022 doesn't. The only option would be to use the USB-C to wired headphones adapter which is not as mechanically robust as the headphones port on the 9 and I believe to remember that the Air doesn't have a separate port for charging.

Right, I’m constantly switching between a flimsy adapter on my iPhone 12 and my iPad. Whoever came up with the idea to remove the headphone jack deserves to be reincarnated as a toilet brush.

• @NeonSilicon said:
    This year's WWDC points towards a stratification of iPadOS between those devices with an M1 and those without. An example that applies to music creation is DriverKit and AudioDriverKit specifically. They are marked as only working on the M1 based iPads. Maybe Apple will change this in the future and bring the capabilities to A level processors. It could be that no one ever delivers an audio driver for iPadOS too (I can't see why they wouldn't though, they are the same drivers as the macOS version). Memory usage is another example. Only M1 based iPads are going to get the new higher per app memory usage based on swap being made available on the M1 iPads.

I expect that this trend will continue too. Personally, I'd either hold out and wait to upgrade or go for the M1 based Air.

Good point, food for thought.

• I’m considering the same thing as my old Air 2 is definitely slowing down 6 years later. I have a 2017 iPad Pro, but it’s too big sometimes and I like the size of the Air 2. So, I’m debating between much less bass level 9th gen or go M1 Air, which if I do that I’d want the extra storage and probably buy the Magic Keyboard. So, like $1000 USD…

I’m not doing anything soon. I’m having issues justifying iPad anymore as now they are super expensive and while the new M1 features of iOS 16 look promising, I’m not sure how much it will help. I could just keep what I have and learn to use my M1 Mac Mini a bit better is probably the better idea.

• edited June 2022

Expectations are that the 10th gen iPad will be released in September, probably with A14 chip. I don’t think a M1 will happen anytime soon in the entry level iPad.

https://www.techadvisor.com/article/745221/new-ipad-2022-everything-you-need-to-know.html/amp

• @Slush said:
    Expectations are that the 10th gen iPad will be released in September, probably with A14 chip. I don’t think a M1 will happen anytime soon in the entry level iPad.

https://www.techadvisor.com/article/745221/new-ipad-2022-everything-you-need-to-know.html/amp

This is what I’m considering to replace my iPad 6. The A13 in my SE is plenty good for music, and even the A10 run great with Loopy Pro since I’m pretty much printing everything to audio in there anyways.

YMMV, I don’t do anything that justifies the expense of anything more than the entry level iPad. If these rumours play out, I think it’ll be an excellent buy for the price.

• Hello crew!
    I started my adventure with Music on iOS with a 6th generation iPad. I must point out here that my goals are specific and have nothing to do with so-called Music production; the goal is to use the iPad as an exclusive sound module for playing live. I have a 2020 iPad Pro (11in), but when I saw this new Air, I didn't think long. 8 G RAM and M1. My choice was 256 G memory. For playing I don't need 120 Hz display, Face ID, Lidar, and other embellishments (for me it can weigh even 4 pounds, as long as it is reliable, not to mention the headphone jack, which I got cured of after the first attempt to use the audio interface).
    Greetings!

• Do you think an ipad 9.

Just for synths. I guess not orchestral comps.

Is enough.

Ipad 9 for drums.

Ipad 9 for synths.

Ipad air 3 for samples and stem offest.

Move stems to synth ipad when sorted.

Maybe the synths will be still midi.

Close to a good system.

Would be a shame for main hub to not be quite there.

I estimate maybe 20% better performance max without multicore.

but it could be those extra effects etc whilst still midi.

But it would mean. Seeing if I can still return it and being without an ipad for a while until iv saved.

Then there would be m3 ipads etc soon.

but doubt id need that along with other ipads as part of system.

Unless there are types of music or devs make better synths because of ipad capabilities.

Its the cusp.

• An air 3 ipad 9 combo. If you disregard the other ipad 9.

Should be more powerful than than air 5.

But as a main hub for synths. Air 5 is obviously better than ipad 9.

Honestly dont really have the money for quite a while and kinda dubious about ipads also.

Maybe just buy another ipad in future or get a refund now and save?

• qqqqqq
    edited May 2023

[Deleted, I misread the new post]

• edited May 2023

@qqq said:
    I find the display on the base model iPad to be kind of annoying. The laminated display on the air feels much nicer imo.

Not that bothered about display. Its just for music. Worse graphics of a synth arnt priority.

Had screen issues with air 3.

So always thought it were the screen but it probably wasnt.

Not keen on any creeky ipad as it will rest and maybe bend when rested on an apple pencil case as stand.

Memory swap.

Usbc.

and any screen issues.

Havent seen people here complain about the air though.

If ipad 9 could be enough.

Maybe id buy again. Even if not needed.

For the hover pen but havent done any drawings since buying a pencil (2019 )

Is the ipad 9 actually multicore?

So if other hosts went multicore, soonish.

Then the ipad 9 as part of system would be cool

but wonder if multicore would be only be made by devs for m chips or by then ( soonish )

Would multicore ipad 9 even be multicore via host.

Maybe apps need to be multicore also?

Dont know.

• I see I started this thread, it turned out I went for the iPad pro 11” M1, no regrets.

• @sigma79 said:

@qqq said:
    I find the display on the base model iPad to be kind of annoying. The laminated display on the air feels much nicer imo.

I didn't mean graphics, but the actual touch interactions feel better. There is no air in between the layers in the display. I agree the visuals don't matter to me either. If you aren't bothered by the feel of the touch on the base model iPad then it is a great deal :)

• @qqq said:

@sigma79 said:

@qqq said:

I didn't mean graphics, but the actual touch interactions feel better. There is no air in between the layers in the display. I agree the visuals don't matter to me either. If you aren't bothered by the feel of the touch on the base model iPad then it is a great deal :)

Cheers qqq.

• If air 5 is say 50% faster than ipad 9.

Is it 50% better in terms of the auv3 apps we use.

My addition would seem like samplers added. Multi instance of same sampler and other samplers.

I guess even without a figure. It should cover additional samplers etc.

Its just even a mint ipad 9 will sell for hundreds less.

So gotta work out if the ipad air 5. Is now worth hundreds more than usual.

• @Slush said:
    I see I started this thread, it turned out I went for the iPad pro 11” M1, no regrets.

Smart decision! Once you reach the price of the Air 5 - 256G M1 , your are almost at the price of the Pro - 256g M2.

• edited June 2023

Air 5 M1 8Gb RAM.

The best power/cost iPad at this point in time.

https://9to5mac.com/2023/06/02/ipad-ram-list/

• @ecou said:

@Slush said:
    I see I started this thread, it turned out I went for the iPad pro 11” M1, no regrets.

Smart decision! Once you reach the price of the Air 5 - 256G M1 , your are almost at the price of the Pro - 256g M2.

The Air 5 - 256G M1 and Pro 11- 256g M2 have only 150$ difference.