Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad Pro 11"

I’ve recently been on a trip to the hardwareworld for about 2 years. During this time I've been making much less music on the iPad. I bought the Deluge, MC-101, MPC Live II, Akai Force, Octatrack, Syntakt and the latest purchase is the Polyend Play. This made me realize that hardware is NOT better. I have already sold the 101, Live 2, octa and the force. And I will probably sell the Syntakt soon as well. As you can see my GAS has been outrageous :s This is my search for the perfect groovebox to make music on when I’m not on my primary setup with Maschine MKIII.

Last weekend I picked up my 2020 12.9 iPad Pro and made some music in beatmaker 3 and used some of the new AUv3-synths that has been released. And now I realize that my perfect groovebox has been lying around in my home all this time. I mean the songs I make with beatmaker 3 sounds way better than what anything that comes out of the syntakt for example. The Deluge is different, the workflow is superfast and it sounds good almost every time.

Now to the point of this thread. After selling all this gear I thought I’d get myself another iPad that is even more portable than the 12.9”. I’m thinking of buying the 11” iPad pro with the m1 chip. I know it’s nearing the end of the cycle and apple will probably release a updated iPad pro 11" with the new m2 chip in sep-oct. But after hearing about the review’s on the m2 I’m not that impressed so maybe it’s not worth the wait?

I wonder if anyone here is using the 11 iPad pro and what do you think about it? Is the screen too small for music production?

Comments

• Considering that with iPadOS16 we'll get proper support for external displays on the M1 based iPads I feel the 11" is just about perfect.

And yes, I might be a bit biased as I got my 256GB M1 11" M1 iPadPro WiFi with some 'connectivity stuff' yesterday...

I would not focus on the M2 too much for the new iPadPro's, what will matter are the connectivity options...
    ...will we got more than one USB-C port? Will the 3.5mm jack make a comeback?

When it comes to performance it's quite and upgrade from my trusty iPad Air 2...
    ...but I do miss the 'home button' to bring up the 'app-switcher/task manager'. It's a lot faster than the 'long swipe up from the bottom', but I guess I'll get used to it :sunglasses:

• For me the bigger the better for music. I have a mini and a 12.9 pro. Almost always use the 12.9 for music. I'm playing instruments on screen though so that's mainly why but also find you need the screen real estate for (the amazingly good btw) Scaler 2

• Congrats @Samu. At last!!!

• It really depends on what you do. If you want an ultraportable rig that recalls all of your sessions at the press of the button then software is the way to go. I’ve flirted with hardware many times, always ending up selling it in favour on an ipad with a bunch of controllers.

• @CapnWillie said:

>

I highly recommend magic keyboard for new iPads. The trackpad and shortcuts makes it easier to do several functions missed without home button and many more.

I can already use 'Universal Control' from my Mac if/when I would have the need for a keyboard or other stuff...
    ...stage manager will solve the remaining multi-tasking issues when iPadOS16 drops.
    (When the Mac is not on I can easily pair the bigger keyboard and mouse to the iPad when needed).

Considering I'm NOT using the iPad on a desk all the time the whole magic keyboard thing feels pretty pointless as it's NOT as 'stable' as a real laptop.

If I wanted a 'Laptop Replacement' I would have gotten the M1 MacBook Air and not an iPadPro with an overpriced keyboard that doesn't even have F-Keys that also adds to the 'bulk' (the iPad + Magic Keyboard is heavier than the M1 MacBook Air).

Thankfully we're all allowed to have our own preferences :sunglasses:

Cheers!

• @Samu said:
    Considering that with iPadOS16 we'll get proper support for external displays on the M1 based iPads I feel the 11" is just about perfect.

And yes, I might be a bit biased as I got my 256GB M1 11" M1 iPadPro WiFi with some 'connectivity stuff' yesterday...

I would not focus on the M2 too much for the new iPadPro's, what will matter are the connectivity options...
    ...will we got more than one USB-C port? Will the 3.5mm jack make a comeback?

When it comes to performance it's quite and upgrade from my trusty iPad Air 2...
    ...but I do miss the 'home button' to bring up the 'app-switcher/task manager'. It's a lot faster than the 'long swipe up from the bottom', but I guess I'll get used to it :sunglasses:

Congrats... :D

• The 11” is perfect for me and music apps. Easier to hold and carry, and more than enough screen space.

• I also swapped 12.9 with 11.

11 M1 is perfect especially now that iOS 16 will let it drive a full screen external monitor experience when needed.

• @Samu said:

👍