Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

JWM - Sinister Thermostat (Dark Industrial Ambient)

Yeah it's a dumb title, lol. It's named after Thermo Synth.

Okay, so I was split between getting Samplewiz 2, Thermo Synth, or Crystalline reverb, and my mates Gavinski and Philandering_Bastard and Poppadocrock all said to get Thermo. So that's EXACTLY what I did.

SO of course it wouldn't be JWM Ambient without Gauss being involved. First I recorded Thermo into Gauss and slowed that down. I recorded a Mononoke performance into Gauss and slowed that down. Then I recorded Module with one of the new 90s IDM presets into Gauss and, you guessed it, slowed THAT down. Lol.

On the master bus I put Alteza, ChowTape, and a peak limiter in case of peaks (which there were none this round). I started my live performance with Mononoke, then introduced the 90s IDM patch, and then the piece de resistance, Thermo Synth. All blended together with the luscious spacious sound of Alteza.

Normalised in TwistedWave to -3dB so the mix is at a decent volume but has space to breathe as any proper Ambient track should. Enjoy!

Comments

• This is great. Sounds like you took the right decision.

• @jwmmakerofmusic It's a great texture piece ... reminded me a bit of this:

• I'm glad you worked through the bad case of GAS.

Have you tried making recordings in Tardigrain? It makes really interesting textures.
    Personally I feed it instrument samples using an SF2 app, Audiolayer, KQ Sampei and
    get these smooth instruments. But you can feed it any kind of noisy, industrial sample and it will spit out sounds similar to Thermo.

I know you're on a quest to discover new sounds and this was a highlight of my week last week. This week I'm all over Steel Guitar Pro. I love pure oscillations in general. I like
    "Ahhhm"bient. Musical No Doze.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    This is great. Sounds like you took the right decision.

Thanks mate. :) I believe I did. I watched some Youtube videos about Samplewiz 2, and the best way I can sum it up is "if Borderlands Granular and a simple sampler had a baby". I'll consider buying it sometime in the future if GAS strikes, but meanwhile if I don't win Crystalline from Gavinski, I'll either beg him for a copy (haha, just kidding), or I'll simply buy the damn thing outright. 😜

@craftycurate said:
    @jwmmakerofmusic It's a great texture piece ... reminded me a bit of this:

Thanks mate. :) I love Tom Scott's videos, and I've seen that one before. I love that endless-sounding long echo. Alteza recreates this perfectly. (Although now this video has got me thinking...are there AUv3 convolution reverbs out there that allow me to import my own impulse responses? I could sample this Youtube video and use that as an IR, lol. 😂)

@McD said:
    I'm glad you worked through the bad case of GAS.

Cheers. :)

Have you tried making recordings in Tardigrain? It makes really interesting textures.
    Personally I feed it instrument samples using an SF2 app, Audiolayer, KQ Sampei and
    get these smooth instruments. But you can feed it any kind of noisy, industrial sample and it will spit out sounds similar to Thermo.

I don't have Tardigrain yet. Depending on what my finances are looking like tomorrow, I'll simply buy it and have a play with it. Only $6. Easy purchase.

I know you're on a quest to discover new sounds and this was a highlight of my week last week. This week I'm all over Steel Guitar Pro. I love pure oscillations in general. I like
    "Ahhhm"bient. Musical No Doze.

I'm always on that quest for new sounds. :) Funny thing is, I kind of given up trying to learn MiRack for the moment and am mastering the art of tape looping in Gauss and just mangling sounds in general.

Steel Guitar Pro looks sick by the way. Yonac, aka the developer of Magellan, made that it seems. I'll probably purchase that one on Thursday. I don't know how to play a guitar, but for now it doesn't matter since I'm all about experimenting with sound and not playing "correct" notes anyways (unless I'm performing piano live at a gig that is, lol).

• edited June 2022

@jwmmakerofmusic : As someone else who doesn’t play guitar (or in my case, anything else unless you count drums, 40 years ago!) I can definitely recommend Steel Guitar Pro. It sounds fantastic, has multiple guitar amp and fx models you can mess with, and can even be used as a unique MIDI controller for other AUV3s, as McD is demonstrating. I made a thing with it very quickly, and it even has a built in wav recorder for easy capturing of twangs and slides which of course sound wonderful… slowed down! ;) For the intro price, it’s an absolute steal. Go for it. You won’t be sorry.

Interested in what you think of Thermo Synth. On the one hand it’s weird experimental-ness is right up my street. On the other hand, it’s pretty pricey. Unique enough to justify the outlay?

• This is great, mate! Remember that scene in Eraserhead with the noisy radiator? That is what comes to my mind when listening to this piece. Especially influenced by the “Sinister Thermostat” title. Freaky af, man. David Lynch would be proud.

A perfect soundtrack for one of those ‘Backrooms’ videos.

Never heard of Thermo synth. Intrigued now.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:
    This is great. Sounds like you took the right decision.

Thanks mate. :) Although now this video has got me thinking...are there AUv3 convolution reverbs out there that allow me to import my own impulse responses? I could sample this Youtube video and use that as an IR, lol. 😂)

These will all allow you to import your own IRS or wavs in general: JAX Convolutor Pro, Thafknar, Altispace 2 and Impulsation (stand alone or IAP in IFX Rack). I prefer Thafknar.

A neat trick is to import something out of left field like crowd noise or the sound of a brook and use it as an additional texture.

• edited June 2022

@Spidericemidas : ah, another fan of the Backrooms videos…! https://youtube.com/c/KANEpixels

They are genius, just waiting for the (16 year old!!) kid that made them to get signed up to direct a full movie. And indeed @jwmmakerofmusic this would go great for an environmental soundtrack there. Though you’d have to fight me for the gig! :)

Actually kind of daunting that one so young is so competent across all the disciplines necessary to make that thing work, and love the way it is developing it’s own deeply detailed mythology. Makes Lovecraft’s Mythos (and fans like me) seem so… last century ;)

• edited June 2022

Man this is amazing… For some reason, my ears (or brains) were eagerly waiting and sometimes hearing an aggressive sea wave splashing a huge rock!!

• @Svetlovska said:
    @jwmmakerofmusic : As someone else who doesn’t play guitar (or in my case, anything else unless you count drums, 40 years ago!) I can definitely recommend Steel Guitar Pro. It sounds fantastic, has multiple guitar amp and fx models you can mess with, and can even be used as a unique MIDI controller for other AUV3s, as McD is demonstrating. I made a thing with it very quickly, and it even has a built in wav recorder for easy capturing of twangs and slides which of course sound wonderful… slowed down! ;) For the intro price, it’s an absolute steal. Go for it. You won’t be sorry.

Okay, definitely getting it Thursday. My finances are tight at the moment as I'm expecting some bills to come in.

Interested in what you think of Thermo Synth. On the one hand it’s weird experimental-ness is right up my street. On the other hand, it’s pretty pricey. Unique enough to justify the outlay?

Thermo is incredible! Very glitchy and cool, and definitely unique and great sounding, especially slowed down. ;) Definitely worth the asking price!

@Spidericemidas said:
    This is great, mate! Remember that scene in Eraserhead with the noisy radiator? That is what comes to my mind when listening to this piece. Especially influenced by the “Sinister Thermostat” title. Freaky af, man. David Lynch would be proud.

❤️ That means so much! Yes, I remember that scene in Eraserhead. That movie was freaky af, and I loved it! Been years since I last saw it, but what a memorable acid trip.

A perfect soundtrack for one of those ‘Backrooms’ videos.

I'll have to check those Backrooms videos out! I...don't know how I didn't know they exist! 😅

Never heard of Thermo synth. Intrigued now.

Bloody hell, this synth is worth every last penny. You won't be sorry.

@Svetlovska said:
    @Spidericemidas : ah, another fan of the Backrooms videos…! https://youtube.com/c/KANEpixels

Thanks for the playlist! I'll be watching these!

They are genius, just waiting for the (16 year old!!) kid that made them to get signed up to direct a full movie. And indeed @jwmmakerofmusic this would go great for an environmental soundtrack there. Though you’d have to fight me for the gig! :)

Wait, these videos were made by a teen!? That's raw talent!

Actually kind of daunting that one so young is so competent across all the disciplines necessary to make that thing work, and love the way it is developing it’s own deeply detailed mythology. Makes Lovecraft’s Mythos (and fans like me) seem so… last century ;)

Hahaha, quite literally. I'll be sure to watch them!

@supadupa555 said:
    Man this is amazing… For some reason, my ears (or brains) were eagerly waiting and sometimes hearing an aggressive sea wave splashing a huge rock!!

Thanks mate! And that "agressive sea wave splashing a huge rock" sound is me tweaking the pitch knobs of Alteza's feedback section. It's become one of my go-to performance techniques. Which is why I'm chomping at the bit to grab Crystalline, so I can have another reverb to mess around with live and see what shapes and textures I can evoke from that.