Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

USB C to USB dongles

Hello

Looking for an adapter that I can use to hook up a USB soundcard that can also power my iPad.
These are the options I’ve found thus far...

I’m wondering if a powered usb C hub might work so I can keep things further away from my iPad.
Suggestions welcome!
Cheers.

Comments

• What exactly are you trying to do ? And what device are you trying to do it on?

For important connections I always get apple products. Amazon can be surprisingly hard to find official apple stuff cause there’s so many very close knock offs. I make sure it’s an official apple product. Sure some others might work, but I’ve had issues in the past with 3rd party stuff, so I go apple for my main USB adapter.

• edited June 2022

I’m trying to connect my iPad USB C to my Roland Duo capture USB.
    The soundcard is plugged in so I don’t need to power it but I would like to keep my iPad charged while it’s connected.

I agree that it’s probably worth the extra to get an official Apple adapter but since it’s USB C I thought there might be other methods such as a powered usb hub. (or an extension cable connected to one of the adapters above)

Ideally I’d like to keep the dongle out of sight. I managed to do this before with a lightning extension cable plugged into the Apple USB3 camera connection kit.

✌️

• @iamspoon There are some USB-C hubs/docks with a removable host cable, like this one. To charge your iPad at the same time, be sure the hub supports USB-C Power Delivery (those exact words, not just "powered hub"). And be sure the connecting cable supports PD as well; it needs to have a special chip in the connector.

• I also have a Roland Duo Capture and use the Apple USB C digital multiport for charging. Works fine, also looks like it is on sale in Canada here which is super rare... tempted to get another...

https://www.amazon.ca/Apple-USB-C-Digital-Multiport-Adapter/dp/B07WF96FY5/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1FSNVBBBKJIOF&keywords=Usb+c+multiport+apple&qid=1655992691&sprefix=usb+c+multiport+apple,aps,153&sr=8-5

• Thanks for the replys.

I’ve had a look and found some promising bits and bobs..

leaning towards the Apple connection Kit dongle, but using an USB C extension cable so that I can keep the clagnut hidden away.

(FWIW, this kinda setup worked very reliably on my old iPad Air)

• That cable looks like it should be OK.

Have you a specific reason for preferring a VGA (analog video) combo adapter over the more common HDMI (digital video) combo adapter?

• Just affordability, since I doubt I’d use either connection

VGA adapter seems to be available for around £20.
    HDMI adapter seems to cost around £70.

• @iamspoon said:
    Just affordability, since I doubt I’d use either connection

VGA adapter seems to be available for around £20.
    HDMI adapter seems to cost around £70.

I would definitely consider doing that too but here for some reason they are the same price.

• To be fair I should point out that the ~£20 VGA dongles were on eBay .
    Said to be genuine and new.
    Otherwise the prices for the 2 dongles is about the same on other retailers.

• I thought the USB3 camera connection kit was expensive but these new ones are taking the piss!

• @iamspoon said:
    I thought the USB3 camera connection kit was expensive but these new ones are taking the piss!

Yes, but they combine the two prior Lightning adapters, USB3 and Digital A/V (HDMI). Not good if you only want one half, of course.