Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy Pro inside Drambo — Where do you put it?

I know some of you host Loopy inside Drambo ( @echoopera ), but where do you put it? And why?

• In a track, after something you want to record?
  • In a return track, and send audio to it via the send level?
  • In its own track with an Audio Input module in front, to select the source on the fly?

It seems to me that the second and third options seem most practical, as Loopy is so good at running several loops together, but maybe you have another method, or use multi-out, or something?

Comments

• Also, when routing audio between tracks, LP seems to record slightly quiet.

• @mistercharlie said:
    Also, when routing audio between tracks, LP seems to record slightly quiet.

If loopy’s faders are left at unity gain (the default setting), there shouldn’t be any change in volume at all (assuming you aren’t using the internal mic as the source). If you find a case where there is a volume change, please provide a project that can be examined…as it would be a bug.

• @espiegel123 said:

@mistercharlie said:

If loopy’s faders are left at unity gain (the default setting), there shouldn’t be any change in volume at all (assuming you aren’t using the internal mic as the source). If you find a case where there is a volume change, please provide a project that can be examined…as it would be a bug.

I will do further testing. I'm recording FAC Drums to another track containing LP.

• @mistercharlie said:

@espiegel123 said:

@mistercharlie said:

I will do further testing. I'm recording FAC Drums to another track containing LP.

One way to check if Loopy is responsible is to turn loopy off and on with the default loopy patch and see if there was a a difference in level. I have experienced level surprises in Drambo that were the result of my not having fully understood how the audio routing worked.

• wimwim
    edited June 2022

I do it the other way around - Drambo inside Loopy. Drambo is where I create the ideas, using either internal sounds or midi-out to plugins hosted in Loopy. This allows me to commit to audio and idle plugins as I go. I don't idle Drambo though as it seems to cause occasional issues when I do.

• @wim I started off with Drambo in Loopy, but I found I was using Drambo to control so much that it seemed to make more sense the other way around.

I was hoping to get some ideas for good ways to route the audio into LP.

• wimwim
    edited June 2022

@mistercharlie said:
    @wim I started off with Drambo in Loopy, but I found I was using Drambo to control so much that it seemed to make more sense the other way around.

Until Loopy gets multiple AU audio inputs IMO that's pretty straightforward. One instance per track that you want to use it on. Loops controlled by notes in the sequencer.

My main use case is to save CPU, so Loopy in Drambo doesn't do as much for me.

• @wim said:

@mistercharlie said:
    @wim I started off with Drambo in Loopy, but I found I was using Drambo to control so much that it seemed to make more sense the other way around.

Until Loopy gets multiple AU audio inputs IMO that's pretty straightforward. One instance per track that you want to use it on. Loops controlled by notes in the sequencer.

I’m in a similar situation. I’ve built my usual Audiobus looping setup in Loopy pro but I get latency crackles with all things being equal.

Also Samplr doesn’t recall state in LP or Drambo so I’m stuck with good old AB until Samplr AU

• @supadom said:

@wim said:

@mistercharlie said:

I’m in a similar situation. I’ve built my usual Audiobus looping setup in Loopy pro but I get latency crackles with all things being equal.

Also Samplr doesn’t recall state in LP or Drambo so I’m stuck with good old AB until Samplr AU

If you are experiencing latency or crackles in LP , please report/demonstrate them so @Michael can address them.

• @espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

@wim said:

@mistercharlie said:

If you are experiencing latency or crackles in LP , please report/demonstrate them so @Michael can address them.

I’m still waiting for him to reply to my comment in Loopy Pro questions thread. He must be busy, I don’t want to cause overloads.

• @supadom said:
    I’m still waiting for him to reply to my comment in Loopy Pro questions thread. He must be busy, I don’t want to cause overloads.

Yeah, sorry about that – it’s still in the queue

• What’s the best motivation and benefits of doing so.
    Might be an ideal solution for me

• I host it on it’s own track.

Has to be LP in Drambo because I can’t live without Drambo automation of AUv3.

• @BroCoast said:
    I host it on it’s own track.

Has to be LP in Drambo because I can’t live without Drambo automation of AUv3.

You can still automate AUv3's with midi out from Drambo if Drambo is in LP. But yeh, not as direct by a long shot.

• edited June 2022

Also side by side LP and Drambo both standalone is a nice combo. Especially drag’n’drop from flexi to donut, and DRAMBO sequencer control LP (kind of automation). In theory it works, but in practice I will try it more (cpu, memory, screen split ergonomy).

• I’ve been using it on the master track and recording a loop at a time but it’s a clunky workflow and haven’t thought of a better way yet

• Lots of flexibility for sure. I’ve been using it on its own track, with an audio-input picker before it. That’s working quite well.

• @mistercharlie said:
    I’ve been using it on its own track, with an audio-input picker before it. That’s working quite well.

I tried this just now. (Didn't even know there was an audio input picker module!) I picked my Drambo drum track, but it's not recording in Loopy. Is there something else I need to do, either in Drambo or Loopy, to get the Drambo track audio into a donut?

• I was just trying Loopy inside Drambo.
    There’s one thing that I found confusing. In the “default” Loopy mode the loop would not start from the beginning when starting/stopping Drambo. It would just play from wherever it was last stopped, which means it’s out of sync with Drambo sequence.
    I had to enable “Phase lock loops” which says “keep in sync with clock, even when not playing”. This makes it so loops start from the beginning and in sync with Drambo start. But to me it’s quite confusing. Maybe I don’t want to phase lock loops, I just want them to play from the beginning,every time. Rather, I want all loops, the whole of loopy to “reset” and follow Drambo. Am I missing something?.

• @dokwok2 said:

@mistercharlie said:
    I’ve been using it on its own track, with an audio-input picker before it. That’s working quite well.

I tried this just now. (Didn't even know there was an audio input picker module!) I picked my Drambo drum track, but it's not recording in Loopy. Is there something else I need to do, either in Drambo or Loopy, to get the Drambo track audio into a donut?

Not sure. It just works for me. Do you have the correct Loopy AU loaded? You need the Audio Unit Processor in order to receive input.

• edited June 2022

@tahiche said:
    I was just trying Loopy inside Drambo.
    There’s one thing that I found confusing. In the “default” Loopy mode the loop would not start from the beginning when starting/stopping Drambo. It would just play from wherever it was last stopped, which means it’s out of sync with Drambo sequence.
    I had to enable “Phase lock loops” which says “keep in sync with clock, even when not playing”. This makes it so loops start from the beginning and in sync with Drambo start. But to me it’s quite confusing. Maybe I don’t want to phase lock loops, I just want them to play from the beginning,every time. Rather, I want all loops, the whole of loopy to “reset” and follow Drambo. Am I missing something?.

Did you turn host sync on in loopy? Also check the pause clock on idle settings.
    EDIT: it looks like Loopy's clock might not be resetting when it should.

• @mistercharlie said:
    Not sure. It just works for me. Do you have the correct Loopy AU loaded? You need the Audio Unit Processor in order to receive input.

Thank you. That did it. I could have wandered lost a long time without that pointer.

• @tahiche : this may be a Loopy bug.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @tahiche : this may be a Loopy bug.

Ok thanks!. Should I report it in Slack?.
    Sort of glad it’s a bug, because some things I find really strange are normal and expected behavior for others.

• @tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @tahiche : this may be a Loopy bug.

Ok thanks!. Should I report it in Slack?.
    Sort of glad it’s a bug, because some things I find really strange are normal and expected behavior for others.

Perhaps , you could add to the mention I made on slack and maybe post a simple project for Michael to use and a video how-to

• @dokwok2 said:

@mistercharlie said:

Thank you. That did it. I could have wandered lost a long time without that pointer.

👍