Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

2 channel iPad or battery powered interface that can do +4dB line inputs?

Hey all,

Ran into a situation where I need to be able to record a live set remotely in the next two to three weeks using hardware, and discovered my portable recorders can only do -10dB line level signals and are clipping no matter what I do with +4dB signals. Obviously, sigh…

I’ll likely be backpacking all my gear over some distance to do the set, so I need something battery powered or ideally able to be powered by an M1 iPad Pro or even better an iPhone 13 Pro (though that last one’s not likely I know). Size and weight matters I only need stereo inputs and could care less about mic inputs for this use.

iRig Duo Pro looks like it will do the trick, but open to other ideas to look into too if anyone has them. Thanks for suggestions that might help get me out of a bind!

Comments

• I'm quite happy with my Tascam US800 that I got second hand recently.
    Small enough to be portable and there are more input channels when you need them, still a rare thing with halfway portable iPad interfaces.
    I'm using a power bank with it (mine has moved to inside the box).

From the spec sheet:

• @CapnWillie said:
    https://centrance.com/mixerface/

Maybe overkill but tailor made for these type of projects. Exceeded expectations. Founder/owner Mike is very accessible and will answer any specific questions.

Very promising thank you.

• edited June 2022

@rs2000 said:
    I'm quite happy with my Tascam US800 that I got second hand recently.
    Small enough to be portable and there are more input channels when you need them, still a rare thing with halfway portable iPad interfaces.

I need to avoid power banks if I can, already hauling more of them to do this than I want unfortunately.
    Thanks though!

• @CapnWillie said:

Maybe overkill but tailor made for these type of projects. Exceeded expectations. Founder/owner Mike is very accessible and will answer any specific questions.

Found a B-Stock unit for half price, seems like a no brainer, thanks very much! Looks perfect for what I need.

• @Tarekith said:

@rs2000 said:

I need to avoid power banks if I can, already hauling more of them to do this than I want unfortunately.
    Thanks though!

If you have an audio interface already and all you need is level matching then I'd really go ahead and solder simple R/R voltage dividers into the plugs. Reducing +4dB to -10dB means reducing the voltage to roughly a quarter. When choosing resistors, it helps to know the impedance of the source that you're going to record.

• @CapnWillie said:

That’s a really rad piece of kit.

• How about -10/-20db attenuators? Those usually used for drums?

• @rs2000 said:

@Tarekith said:

@rs2000 said:

Thanks though!

If you have an audio interface already and all you need is level matching then I'd really go ahead and solder simple R/R voltage dividers into the plugs. Reducing +4dB to -10dB means reducing the voltage to roughly a quarter. When choosing resistors, it helps to know the impedance of the source that you're going to record.

Thanks, that was definitely an option I was considering, but I was really hoping to find a more long term solution for issues like this. Remote recording is going to be something I’ll be doing a lot of in the future I think. I appreciate the suggestion though!

• edited June 2022

@Tarekith said:

@rs2000 said:

@Tarekith said:

@rs2000 said:

Thanks though!

Thanks, that was definitely an option I was considering, but I was really hoping to find a more long term solution for issues like this. Remote recording is going to be something I’ll be doing a lot of in the future I think. I appreciate the suggestion though!

BTW (OT?), a friend of mine just got a Zoom R24 and I was surprised how straightforward it works for recording 8 channels to SD card. Eats up to +4dBm input and runs on 6 AA batteries too.

• my Apogee Duet 3 with iPad Pro M1 12`9 can do this

• @CapnWillie said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@CapnWillie said:

That’s a really rad piece of kit.

I can’t recommend it enough. There are a lot of pro reviews and mentions scattered about the webs and tubes to confirm this little best kept secret. Also, our forums very own @ipadbeatmaking took a leap off my rec in his thread focused on interfaces. Needless to say he was 🤯 and did a deep dive to share his experience demoing different mics.

I’m a super Apogee fan and previously used Duet or One for on location/remote work and I prefer Centrance by a very large margin.

Mike (founder of Centrance) is clearly an audio junkie who built this thing out of love and passion. From the build quality, control layout to pre-amps he didn’t skimp on anything and some how crammed everything into something so small and rugged you really have to get one to experience how amazing it is. I mean even where you plug in everything is perfect, no breakout cable shananigans and the onboard filter is SOOOOOO clutch for recording on location. No more wind clipping!

It’s actually more than an interface thus the name. Mixer + interface = Mixerface aka Cheatcode.lol

I agree and I’m usually apogee down to the socks, but Centrance outclasses the Duet/One to me, for my needs, for it’s adaptable workflow. The fact that I’ve got a mixer that does not need to be plugged into a computer/idevice is an incredible bonus. I also like the camera compatible screw threads, perfect for days I wanna be a filmmaker!

I also love not having to tote breakout cables and it having such a small (total) form factor. Especially when coupled with the Gefell m930 mic. It’s tiny on tiny and everything I could want in a portable song makers kit.

Thanks @CapnWillie for putting me up on game!!

• The more reviews I read on t little bad boy the more excited I am for it to arrive.

• @CapnWillie i took a gander at the manual but doesn’t say usb ins and outs.
    Is it just a stereo pair in/out? Stereo out + headphone separate?

• edited June 2022

That may apply to the Mixerface R4R, a version that can do standalone recording to micro SD (max 512GB).
    The version here is called just R4 ;)

• edited June 2022

@CapnWillie That I found, my question is how many usb channels show up in AUM or other hosts/software. Is it just a stereo pair? Can the headphone be used as 2nd stereo pair or is it monitoring only? My apologies for not being clear.

• Thanks for the recommendation on this one @CapnWillie! It arrived a couple days ago and I've been putting it through it's paces, such a great little unit. Simple to use, sounds great, and covers a lot of roles for mobile recording. Perfect!

• @Tarekith said:
    Thanks for the recommendation on this one @CapnWillie! It arrived a couple days ago and I've been putting it through it's paces, such a great little unit. Simple to use, sounds great, and covers a lot of roles for mobile recording. Perfect!

Good to know.
    Thanks!

• Definitely getting a review!

• edited September 2022

@Tarekith you ever do the review? how did it work out for you in the field?

• Yep, here's the review:

It worked out great, I really enjoy this little box for portable recording. No issues at all, other than wishing I would have known there was a newer version with USB-C they had released :)

• @Tarekith said:
    Yep, here's the review:

It worked out great, I really enjoy this little box for portable recording. No issues at all, other than wishing I would have known there was a newer version with USB-C they had released :)

Great review, thanks. The lack of a stereo link would bug me too. Also not a fan of the single volume control for both monitors and headphones.

• I think it’s just a limitation of the size tbh, it’s really not all that big considering they also fit XLR inputs on it. But yeah, always room for improvement.