Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tutorial: How to record AUv3 audio generators (GAUSS, Esoteric Synth) into Cubasis 3 with automation

edited August 2021 in Knowledge Base

Trying to move my workflow from AUM to Cubasis 3, one of the great limitations that I found is that a lot of AUv3 units were ineffective when loaded into a MIDI instrument track. Because Cubasis 3 doesn’t work saving the audio signal into the track like AUM, and it only registers the MIDI messages instead. Trying to replicate the audio every time, based on the MIDI inputs.

The problem is that a lot of the AUv3 units doesn’t work at all with MIDI notes, and they’re instead audio generators. In Cubasis 3, there is no way of loading an AUv3 instrument into an audio slot. And even if you try to route the audio from a MIDI track to an audio track using something like ApeMatrix external buses, the resulting audio file will only contain the audio recorded from the microphone.

Some examples of AUv3 units don’t rendering the audio at all into Cubasis 3 were Esoteric Synth, Gauss Field Looper inserted in the FX chain, WebSDR, the internal sequencer of SKIIID

Until now, the solution was to load these units into AUM, and then routing the audio into Cubasis 3 via one of the 8 IAA ports of AUM.

But with this method, you weren’t able to use the automation tools of Cubasis 3. And automation, together with a timeline, it’s the main reason for using Cubasis 3 instead of AUM. As great as AUM is as a tool for live performance, there are complex musical ideas that will require a subtle and precise edition of some CC parameters, using a timeline.

After struggling with this problem for an entire week trying different options, I finally found a solution for recording audio from MIDI tracks directly into audio tracks and in a transparent way. Using the transport and record buttons of Cubasis 3. And of course, with the AUv3 units loaded into Cubasis 3, so you can automate parameters!

Thanks to the powerful tools included in ApeMatrix, which is a Swiss knife of audio routing tools for unconventional use cases, weirdness and experimentation.

Here is a tutorial of how you can achieve this:

1. In the Cubasis 3 MIDI instrument track, in the insert effects slot, load ApeMatrix (FX) as an InterApp audio instance.

2. Open ApeMatrix. And then route the audio from Cubasis 3 to one of the ApeMatrix internal buses. In this picture, you can see how to make the connection. The red dot is sending the audio from Cubasis 3 to the A internal bus of Apematrix.

3. Return to Cubasis 3. Create a new audio track. In the routing tab at the left, select InterApp audio as the source, and then choose ApeMatrix (Bus A) as the input.

4. The work is done. Now, if you press the record button in Cubasis 3, you will get an exact audio copy, perfectly synced from you MIDI instrument track. And all inside from Cubasis 3, without needing to open the ApeMatrix window again.

5. Once you have recorded the audio, I recommend to move the resulting .wav to a new empty audio channel. Remember, you’re loading ApeMatrix as IAA instances. So you only have a FX instance and two internal recording buses. If you want to repeat this in other MIDI instrument track, you will need to unload the IAA Apematrix (FX) instance and removing the IAA audio track in Cubasis 3. Also, before deleting the audio track used for the routing, be sure of closing ApeMatrix first, or Cubasis 3 will crash.

While this method seems similar to use AUM buses for recording into Cubasis 3, the difference here is that all you AUv3 units will be loaded into Cubasis 3. So you can create any automation that you want before recording the audio.

Other tip is that ApeMatrix is connected to Cubasis 3 via the IAA protocol. So you can load AUv3 units into ApeMatrix. I’m thinking in A2M real-time Audio to MIDI as a practical use case. This AUv3 unit didn’t work at all inside Cubasis 3. Now, you can load A2M into ApeMatrix, route the audio of Cubasis 3 to ApeMatrix, and sending the MIDI notes back to Cubasis 3.

Comments

• Thank you for sharing this! Was driving me nuts

• Is this in the Wiki? If not, it should be. This question has come up a lot.

• Seeing this old post surfacing again, it has remembered me the hellish Summer in which I spent weeks trying to hack Cubasis 3 to convert this in a real DAW, overcoming its limitations :D

• @Pynchon said:
    Seeing this old post surfacing again, it has remembered me the hellish Summer in which I spent weeks trying to hack Cubasis 3 to convert this in a real DAW, overcoming its limitations :D

I just wanted the frickin audio out of auGEN X for eg!

This is a neat solution.

• @Pynchon said:
    Seeing this old post surfacing again, it has remembered me the hellish Summer in which I spent weeks trying to hack Cubasis 3 to convert this in a real DAW, overcoming its limitations :D

Well it’s appreciated.
    I haven’t even gotten there yet (so many apps I need to learn) - but I inevitably would have. So thanks in advance!

• I'm glad that you find this useful @Kewe_Esse and @BirbHope . Giving that English is not my native language, it's incredibly time consuming to write a tutorial, trying to not fuck up the grammar too much :)

• I think, @Pynchon, that although it is apparent the author is not writing in their mother tongue, you have very little to worry about in terms of command of written English.

Your communication of this technical matter is fluid, simple and clear.

Anyway, imma go do the thing this tute helped me do

• Lol or should that be “simple, fluid and clear”?

🤷🏻‍♂️

• edited June 2022

Doublepost