Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sitala or Koala sampler? | Sitalas true power! | haQ attaQ

Sitala or Koala sampler? Both apps have some similar features, however they were both designed for different styles of workflow. So choosing between them is probably easier than you think.

Sitala and Koala sampler are iOS universal app and are available for both iPad and iPhone. You can find links to both apps further down. Btw, sitala is cross platform compatible with the desktop version, which is FREE, and that link can also be found further down.

haQattaQ

Comments

• edited June 2022

Great video sir! I love both, Sitala immediately integrated into my workflow. There is definitely space for both apps. I love immediacy of Sitala. I truly hope the developers add a bit crusher/Akai 12 bit emulation. I love inserting the RX950 plugin (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/rx950-classic-ad-da-converter/id1406136418) on my drum tracks to add grit and warmth 🥰 I would be cool to able to reduce the bit rate for each pad.

• I love both, but for very different reasons. One big advantage of Sitala so far is that it behaves itself as an AUv3 inside NS2, which Koala refuses to do.

• I figured "since I have Koala, I don't need Sitala", but after watching your video mate, I bought Sitala. See, I love Koala for what it can do and how I can make Ambient within it. Sitala however is the drum sample app I've been looking for to produce music in Cubasis with. Now I don't have to worry about porting over drum samples from the library folder in NS2. Sitala can simply just play them back easy. ☺️

• @FastGhost said:
    I love both, but for very different reasons. One big advantage of Sitala so far is that it behaves itself as an AUv3 inside NS2, which Koala refuses to do.

exactly. it is just one of those products that does a simple task very well. but i’m doing so, it is not simple at all, when used in conjunction with other music making tools, it becomes extremely powerful.
    on a side note, midi out for the pads would be very handy when using in Ns2

• edited June 2022

• @CapnWillie said:
    Is there a note repeat on Sitala?

No and it ain't got a sequencer either, it's meant as a sound module for a daw...
    ...some controllers provide note-repeat, might be a good idea to get one no? :sunglasses:

• @CapnWillie said:

I definitely have a collection of controllers but like using iPad on the go without em these days. Oh well. Hopefully they’ll add that simple feature.

When you host it in a DAW that has note-repeat (Cubasis 3 and BM3 to name a few) it's already possible.

Considering that there's currently no 'layout lock' in Sitala it's easy to accidentally re-shuffle pads when finger drumming :sunglasses:

If they do add note-repeat it would be nice with a 'per pad setting' like in Gadget's Recife with an AU parameter to automate the repeat speed per pad and lay-out lock to avoid re-shuffling the pads.

I'm quite sure they'll continue adding features to it once the first round of bug-fixes is done...

Cheers!

• @CapnWillie said:

@Samu said:

@CapnWillie said:
    Is there a note repeat on Sitala?

No and it ain't got a sequencer either, it's meant as a sound module for a daw...
    ...some controllers provide note-repeat, might be a good idea to get one no? :sunglasses:

I definitely have a collection of controllers but like using iPad on the go without em these days. Oh well. Hopefully they’ll add that simple feature.

Off first glance it looks like the perfect companion for Akai’s MPD218 at less than the price of a Starbucks serving but like @jakoB_haQ pointed out, the knobs are pad dependent. Need 96 to control sound for each pad. However, it MPD does have note repeat.lol

I think they’ll fix that MIDI mapping thing pretty soon. They told me that they had gotten a load of requests for that.

• Oh and to anyone who might have missed it. Sitala for iOS is cross compatible with the desktop version, which is FREE! Any kit made with Sitala can be used on any platform that can run it basically.

The desktop version is here: https://decomposer.de/sitala/

• edited June 2022

Shame AudioShare doesn’t work yet, loading sample folders directly is awesome. Might have to buy anyway and hope for an update

• @gdtimes21 said:
    Shame AudioShare doesn’t work yet, loading sample folders directly is awesome. Might have to buy anyway and hope for an update :s

You can still link to samples stored in AudioShare (Ie. Open Individual Sample...). It's the folder linking/browsing that is not working. (ie. no swipe left/right on the sample).

• edited June 2022

@Samu said:

@gdtimes21 said:
    Shame AudioShare doesn’t work yet, loading sample folders directly is awesome. Might have to buy anyway and hope for an update :s

You can still link to samples stored in AudioShare (Ie. Open Individual Sample...). It's the folder linking/browsing that is not working. (ie. no swipe left/right on the sample).

Ah ok cool, the folder linking/browsing is what caught my eye though haha :) great looking app wasn’t expecting to want it

• Does samplecrate work with Sitala?

• Well done @jakoB_haQ - you just got Sitala another sale.
    If nothing else, I’ll probably use it to build kits to take into other apps, thanks to that amazing looking browser.

I wonder if you add a file from iCloud, then take the project containing Sitala to another device, will it automatically relink it from iCloud on that device.

Also wondering if you can browse tags with it as that’s how I build my libraries with samplecrate.

We’ll see…

• @Samu said:

@CapnWillie said:

When you host it in a DAW that has note-repeat (Cubasis 3 and BM3 to name a few) it's already possible.

Considering that there's currently no 'layout lock' in Sitala it's easy to accidentally re-shuffle pads when finger drumming :sunglasses:

Have you actually had this happen? Out of curiosity -- what triggers it? Muscle memory from playing things that send note-offs?

If they do add note-repeat it would be nice with a 'per pad setting' like in Gadget's Recife with an AU parameter to automate the repeat speed per pad and lay-out lock to avoid re-shuffling the pads.

To be honest, that's what scares me -- it doesn't strike me as a simple feature -- it feels like it probably needs a fair amount of configuration / experimentation with the interface to really get right.

One thing I find myself wondering is where to draw the lines between what fits in Sitala, and what potentially fits in some other sampler product (which we may later create).

In my head, there are kind of 3-4 different types of samplers out there:

• Melodic samplers (which mostly used pitched sounds spread across a keyboard -- could have either resampled or different samples for each key)
    • Drum-machine samplers (Sitala, Battery, et al)
    • Break choppers (Sitala does a little of this, but here I'm imagining something like the old Native Instruments Intakt)
    • Acoustic drum emulators (where stuff like humanization and velocity layers matters a lot)

I kind of think of looping as more fitting with break chopping. But I'm very open to hearing about how people imagine something like that being used.

In general, I think the interfaces for a lot of those different modes are pretty different, and I'm not yet convinced that it makes the software better to try to pack all of them into one plugin.

• @jakoB_haQ said:

I think they’ll fix that MIDI mapping thing pretty soon. They told me that they had gotten a load of requests for that.

Yeah, this mostly is a carry-over from desktop usage where finger-drumming and using Sitala live isn't as much of a thing. Each of the parameters right now is an automatable parameter, and it would have been bad mojo to have an automation that didn't do the same thing every time.

But I did a quick experiment the other day just to verify that we are actually getting the raw MIDI CC values inside of Sitala, so we should be able to get that done.

We're going to do a couple of small releases in the next 1-2 months (probably one every 2-3 weeks), and I think that will make it in towards the end of that cycle.

• @gregsmith said:
    Well done @jakoB_haQ - you just got Sitala another sale.
    If nothing else, I’ll probably use it to build kits to take into other apps, thanks to that amazing looking browser.

I wonder if you add a file from iCloud, then take the project containing Sitala to another device, will it automatically relink it from iCloud on that device.

Also wondering if you can browse tags with it as that’s how I build my libraries with samplecrate.

We’ll see…

That's an interesting question. We'll try it out when both Sitala developers are sitting in the same place (i.e. two accounts, two devices). One thing worth noting is that Sitala kits are self-contained -- so if you copy a kit, that kit will definitely work. (We actually both save the sample, and the original location that it came from, so if the original location still exists, directory browsing still works, but the kit is portable between devices.)

• Yes. Haq scores another sale… I hope these vendors get the influence model.

The ease of file access got me to start working on building some drum kits to my tastes. I started using the AutoSampler featurer in AudioLayer to pull drum sounds out of one of my walled Garden IAA apps. Then. I exported the samples captured to AudioLayers export folder so I can grab samples from these exported instruments.

I can do a lot of the tone and shape tweaking in AudioLayer but Sitala is a lot less tricky to navigate these settings. I had to grab it on sale or regret it a lot later.

• @scotchi said:

@gregsmith said:
    Well done @jakoB_haQ - you just got Sitala another sale.

We’ll see…

That's an interesting question. We'll try it out when both Sitala developers are sitting in the same place (i.e. two accounts, two devices). One thing worth noting is that Sitala kits are self-contained -- so if you copy a kit, that kit will definitely work. (We actually both save the sample, and the original location that it came from, so if the original location still exists, directory browsing still works, but the kit is portable between devices.)

Thanks, I’ll do some testing too and report back.

Sending kits themselves between devices is fine, it’s just an extra step, but no real bother.

• @scotchi said:

Have you actually had this happen? Out of curiosity -- what triggers it? Muscle memory from playing things that send note-offs?

Yepp!

I usually latch my finger on a 'beat/loop' and trigger pads by swiping my finger over them. (Ie. swipe the finger between kick, hat and snare sometimes swiping to a clap etc.). That's a habit I've picket up using Koala, BM3, Drambo, Cubasis etc.

So when long-tap is used to arrange pads I get 'confused' and have to remind myself I'm not using those other apps :sunglasses:

Cheers!

• @CapnWillie said:
    Interesting. Welp, I hope Note Repeat makes it in as it really is an essential feature to drumming for many.

Could you explain your use case to me? It's something we do get occasional requests for (but at the moment it's not among the most requested features). Of the things that we get requested, it's one that I don't immediately know what people are trying to do with it.

In my head, I've assumed it's for breaks programming, which I've only ever done personally with a break chopper (specifically Intakt).

The other case which I can't tell if people are alluding to is the sustain part of an ADSR sampler where it loops an inner portion.

Is there something else you're trying to do with it? Could you explain it and potentially link to some music using something similar?

• edited June 2022

A little stymied by the lack of import/export/sharing options so far, but purchased.

• @musikeer said:
    A little stymied by the lack of import/export/sharing options so far, but purchased.

You mean import and export from other formats? You can of course save and share kits between Sitala instances (on the desktop or mobile)...

• @musikeer said:

In what way?
    It's super easy to import and export kits?!
    (The menu next to the kit name)

• @Samu said:

@musikeer said:

In what way?
    It's super easy to import and export kits?!
    (The menu next to the kit name)

Not kits, just raw audio and samples before chopping. No way to share from/to Audioshare, as has been covered already. Not into using iCloud. Correct me if I’m wrong?

• @musikeer said:

Not kits, just raw audio and samples before chopping. No way to share from/to Audioshare, as has been covered already. Not into using iCloud. Correct me if I’m wrong?

You can link single samples from AudioShare (Open Individual Sample...) in the sample menu.
    ...It's the 'folder linking' that doesn't work due to iOS issues.

• @Samu said:

@musikeer said:

You can link single samples from AudioShare (Open Individual Sample...) in the sample menu.
    ...It's the 'folder linking' that doesn't work due to iOS issues.

In AudioShare, "Export/Share" and "Save to Files", Sitala is not to be found. Koala is. You're correct, importing from Sitala does work however. Thanks for that, Samu. Sitala is still rough around the edges but look forward to getting things worked out. It offers more options as far as linking, not copying, samples.

• @musikeer said:
    In AudioShare, "Export/Share" and "Save to Files", Sitala is not to be found. Koala is. You're correct, importing from Sitala does work however. Thanks for that, Samu. Sitala is still rough around the edges but look forward to getting things worked out. It offers more options as far as linking, not copying, samples.

In the release that's coming out in a few days we'll have:

• The "share" menu from AudioShare working
    • Drag and drop / split-screen
    • Copy and paste from other apps

(as well as a handful of small things not sharing-related)

• edited June 2022

@FastGhost said:
    I love both, but for very different reasons. One big advantage of Sitala so far is that it behaves itself as an AUv3 inside NS2, which Koala refuses to do.

What problems did you have with Koala in NS2? Seemed to work great when I tried.

• @scotchi said:

In the release that's coming out in a few days we'll have:

• The "share" menu from AudioShare working
    • Drag and drop / split-screen
    • Copy and paste from other apps

(as well as a handful of small things not sharing-related)

Great news, thanks for being so responsive!