Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

"Prog Rocker"

McDMcD
edited June 2022 in Creations

I've been working on a Drum generator script in Mozaic. This is a jam using 3 copies of it for the drums and 1 copy used for the bass ostinato (iFretless Bass).

Then I added some keyboards using the "Meesha" intervalic keypads pointed at Hammond B-3X and Poison-202 apps. The Poison-202 is a Mini-Moog like Mono Synth with Portamento enabled (like Keith Emerson would have used) while Carl Palmer went crazy with double bass drums and a lot of complex snare drum patterning. Of course, Greg Lake would jump in with this grounding bass line.

The drums are from KQ Sampei using it's Standard MIDI drum kit(s).

Apologies for the length... the drum solo at 5:02 is pretty cool for a scripted tool. I start tweaking the PPQN (Pulses per quarter note) on various drums and get some double bass and polyrhythmic insanity for the prog rock drum nerds to freak out on...

Comments

• This is a very cool beat.
    The keys are melodic and enjoyable.
    They are mixed very well.
    Lovely combination.
    Rene

• @ReneAsologuitar said:
    This is a very cool beat.
    The keys are melodic and enjoyable.
    They are mixed very well.
    Lovely combination.
    Rene

Thanks for checking it out. I sat on it for a day or 2 wondering if I should put it up.
    There's another Mozaic infused jam on SoundCloud that I didn't post a thread but it's
    interesting in a similar manic vein:

• Love the Poison-202. Just wish the developer would bring it to M1 computers. Looks like it hasn't been updated in a very long time. https://www.jimaudio.pro/poison202/

• @NeuM said:
    Love the Poison-202. Just wish the developer would bring it to M1 computers. Looks like it hasn't been updated in a very long time. https://www.jimaudio.pro/poison202/

Jim Pavlov is the developer that lives in Ukraine. Probably has more important issues to deal with right now.

• edited June 2022

@McD said:

@NeuM said:
    Love the Poison-202. Just wish the developer would bring it to M1 computers. Looks like it hasn't been updated in a very long time. https://www.jimaudio.pro/poison202/

Jim Pavlov is the developer that lives in Ukraine. Probably has more important issues to deal with right now.

Last I heard (on the boards here), he had left the country. Maybe that was bad information. Also, the Poison-202 has not seen any big updates longer than the current war over there. Especially the desktop version, which is still only optimized for the Intel-chip Macs. The M1 chips have been out since November of 2020.

• Maybe Poison hasn't had many updates because it is complete and functions well. Apps don't need updates when they do what they are supposed to.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Maybe Poison hasn't had many updates because it is complete and functions well. Apps don't need updates when they do what they are supposed to.

I’m not going to speculate on the reasons.

• Well, you’re a drummer after all. I would expect no less. I liked DMachine better. Send me a drum track.

• At the very opening I heard some shades of Billy Cobham 'Stratus', but the melody is pure Zawinul. Nice!

• Poison-202 > @Paulieworld said:

At the very opening I heard some shades of Billy Cobham 'Stratus', but the melody is pure Zawinul. Nice!

Most musicians tend to hate comparisons to other artists but I love it especially when the
    references seem to be on point. I can hear that short bassline that Lee Sklar played on Stratus. At the time I thought the artists Billy selected were a bit odd: Lee came to fame playing behind James Taylor and Tommy Bolin (guitar) played with rock bands Zephyr and The James Gang and later Deep Purple.

But Billy was working to expand his audience and the record crossed over and made fusion rock a real thing. What I loved was the fact that Billy wrote all the tunes. He's a personal hero that took my head out of the jazz idiom and open doors to his extreme independence... just watching his left hand technique on a standard right handed set with a matched grip made me realize that using the left hand on the high hat made perfect sense for a "rightie" too.
    Simon Phillips (as a true rightie) perfected this ambidextrous approach.

Now hearing Zawinul on the synth line comes from this intervalic user interface in the "Samchillin" or "Meesha" Mozaic apps. I hope more app developers add this simple interface to their UI's. It would be pretty easy to add to GeoShred for example since it's PAD based.
    The benefit is that it stops someone like me from running scales or outlining the usual chord shapes and the lines are more like a master like Joe Zawinul. Joe (like the @LinearLineman) trained himself NOT to play "licks" like the pop jazz keyboardists do... "blues" lines giving everything a slick sound that communicates very well to a larger audience. Joe can play some great blues too... having worked with Cannonball Adderly and writing "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" and "Country Preacher". Joe moved up to work with Miles as he founded the jazz fusion era and became the leading commercial band leader with "Weather Report".

So, hearing these little germs of some really pivotal music warms my heart since this music
    is not played so mach as it was generated by writing code.

It inspires me to keep adding more sequences to these *-ster apps: DrumSter, StepSter, RecordSter, ZapSter. I just need to remind myself that the results are a product of my music tastes just as much as if I went into a practice room and drilled poly-rhythmic double bass solo vocabulary and then went to a keyboard and mastered more improvisational vocabulary that links my ears to my fingers via neural networks like the @LinearLineman can do.

@Paulieworld, you input means a lot to me since you really labor to make musical projects that inspire us all to try harder and work more before pushing out yet another creation.
    You keep raising the bar and I promise to keep running under it as fast as I can get something recorded. Most of my stuff is one take and no editing... and I'm not proud of that but I truly "Play" at music and it works for me. I just need to live with the shame of being a true hacker in music and coding. I hack. Hopefully, I inspire more to just make stuff that sounds good to them and that's enough.

• Spectrum was a major influence on me. My old bud, Steve, was a brilliant drummer. and turned me on to the whole jazz fusion scene. It was a joy to watch him play. Most drummers I played with looked like somebody from the Muppet Show band. Steve did everything with maximum efficiency. He made it look so easy.

My wife is calling me to dinner. I'll finish this later.

• @Paulieworld said:

Nice... there's more? The drummer, Nate Morton, on the TV Show band for "The Voice" says he was inspired by Monster of the Muppet Show. His drumming style has those exaggerated arm movements when he hits the cymbals but the results are solidly in the grroove. It's good to give the punters a bit of a show, right?

• @McD said:

@Paulieworld said:

Nice... there's more? The drummer, Nate Morton, on the TV Show band for "The Voice" says he was inspired by Monster of the Muppet Show. His drumming style has those exaggerated arm movements when he hits the cymbals but the results are solidly in the grroove. It's good to give the punters a bit of a show, right?

Not much more, other than Steve didn't seem to flail madly. Everything was from the wrists and he moved like a machine. He also had a sixth sense about the music. We had a lot of cool little 'bits' that we synched on. I would just give him a quick glance, he would nod almost imperceptibly, and we would nail it every time. I haven't spoken to him in over 30 years. Last I heard he was playing with a symphony orchestra.

• @McD said:
    There's another Mozaic infused jam on SoundCloud that I didn't post a thread but it's
    interesting in a similar manic vein:

This really rocks

• @JudasZimmerman said:
    This really rocks

Thanks for taking the time to check it out and drop some feedback here.