Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

JWM - My Mellow was Harshed (Dark Ambient)

Yes, it's a dumb title, lol. The piece is pretty much super mellow Dark Ambient, but it has a sense of tension. Of course I fiddled with the Pitch Shifter 1 knob of the feedback section in FAC Alteza which introduced a "rushing" effect roughly around the 5m45s mark, which in turn "harshed my mellow".

I used AUM as my main playground this time. SO, here's what I did. First of all, I recorded a bit of output from Fundamental into Gauss and slowed that down, adding in a bit of warble and internal delay with sync off.

THEN I grabbed this random coffee maker recording from Freesound, recorded a bit of that into Gauss and slowed it down, adding in a bit of warble.

FINALLY, and this is my most audacious move, I used Audanika for the vibraphone sound. However, it has no IAA or AUv3 capabilities! That didn't stop me. I screen recorded playing a little bit in Audanika, extracted the audio in Koala standalone, added some internal FX to taste, recorded that output, played that into Gauss via AUM's file player, slowed that down, and added warble and internal delay with sync off.

Then I bussed everything to the master buss, ran it through a modded version of Alteza's Northern Lights preset, and ran it through Chow Tape which I think emulates a ratty old reel-to-reel tape from the 60s better than Reelbus. (Although believe me I absolutely love Reelbus for subtler tape emulation.)

Then I live-played it back, twiddling the Pitch 1 knob of Alteza's feedback section as well as mucking about with low-pass filters and the volumes of the three sonic elements, and VOILA! We have Ambient of some sort here, lol.

Cheers and enjoy!

(Extra note: This sure beats the hell out of my MiRack experiment, lol. Not to worry, I'll return to generative stuff later, but I get a much bigger thrill out of live performing my shit. :lol: )

Comments

• Anyone? ๐Ÿคท

• The life-support system of my stasis-pod still functions after so many years in the emptiness of space, rushing towards the centre of the galaxy near light speed to station 31XB, circling around the supermassive black hole, defying the forces of gravity.

• Itโ€™s a David Lynch soundtrack. Nightmarish and tense for sure! ๐Ÿ‘

• Nice work!

• โ€œFINALLY, and this is my most audacious move, I used Audanika for the vibraphone sound. However, it has no IAA or AUv3 capabilities! That didn't stop me. I screen recorded playing a little bit in Audanika, extracted the audio in Koala standalone, added some internal FX to taste, recorded that output, played that into Gauss via AUM's file player, slowed that down, and added warble and internal delay with sync off.โ€

This is what I love about iOS. There is always a cunning workaround to be found for those who have the motivation and lateral thinking to pursue what they want. Itโ€™s so satisfying when one solves a limitation like this.

I donโ€™t have Koala, but I extract audio from videos and screen recordings using Brusfri.

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

• @Identor said:
    The life-support system of my stasis-pod still functions after so many years in the emptiness of space, rushing towards the centre of the galaxy near light speed to station 31XB, circling around the supermassive black hole, defying the forces of gravity.

Love this description!๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Spidericemidas said:
    Itโ€™s a David Lynch soundtrack. Nightmarish and tense for sure! ๐Ÿ‘

That man is a soundscape god! Love it mate.

@Spidericemidas said:
    This is what I love about iOS. There is always a cunning workaround to be found for those who have the motivation and lateral thinking to pursue what they want. Itโ€™s so satisfying when one solves a limitation like this.

I donโ€™t have Koala, but I extract audio from videos and screen recordings using Brusfri.

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

I didn't know Brusfri did that! That's awesome!

@bygjohn said:
    Nice work!

Thanks mate! ๐Ÿ˜ Always appreciated.

• alright alright alright
    This set the right mood

Thanks for the info on how you approached the track

• @senhorlampada said:
    alright alright alright
    This set the right mood

Thanks for the info on how you approached the track

Of course mate. :) I've missed you. Let me catch you up a bit.

One of my friends from outside of this forum said "My Mellow was Harshed" reminded him of Silent Hill's OST. Being likened to the incredible Silent Hill soundtrack by my friend and to a god like David Lynch here by the wizard of making presets himself @Spidericemidas is so humbling and a huge honour. ๐Ÿ˜Œ

It means I'm producing the type of Ambient I've always wanted to craft, and crafting it by recording a live performance via Gauss has proven far more fruitful to my creative soul than producing it by programming notes in Gadget/NS2/Drambo like I did last year. (Of course two things have remained the same for the most part between last year's programming and this year's live producing - I still use Alteza and Reelbus on the master buss no matter which method I use, lol.)

To think mate - this all started with me lusting after the OP-1 Field last month. I first used Koala to live produce a couple of Ambient pieces and run the resulting audio through Alteza and Reelbus in AUM. Then I discovered Gauss and produced a couple of pieces with that in AUM. Then I used PaulXStretch to help me produce "Bruno Walks on Eggshells", but the resulting audio was so long that instead of live producing it, I laid it out in Cubasis 3 instead, lol. Then I learned Loopy Pro and produced a couple of pieces with that, one being "Haunted Marimbas". Then I gave MiRack a shot, and while I love listening to generative music produced by modular environments a LOT, producing it in MiRack has a hefty learning curve. (Note: I think for my next generative piece, I'll revert back to Drambo and incorporate Rozeta Particles somewhere in there, lol.)

"My Mellow was Harshed" was my return to Gauss and AUM, although as outlined above, instead of Reelbus, I used Chow Tape so I could replicate the sound of a manky worn cassette.

I have no idea what I'll be producing tomorrow for Make Music Day 2022, but I DO know HOW I'll produce it. It'll be live produced, using AUM as my environment of choice, and Gauss will be involved somewhere. I will probably also use PaulXStretch to get me a couple of drones going that'll be played through AUM's File Player. And while Alteza will be my main reverb as always, I think I'll once again use Chow Tape for my tape emulation. I just love that gritty worn cassette aesthetic.