Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Some degree of planning (Audio and Video versions)

edited June 2022 in Creations

I’m in severe danger of treading on @LinearLineman ’s toes here but (to mix my metaphors) I may as well (try and) stand on the shoulders of a giant…

An improvisation based on the chords of My Funny Valentine as outlined by the excellent Dutch guitarist Paul Davids in his YouTube channel… well worth digging into!

GeoShred is used to play not only Ravenscroft 275 but also, via multiple Rozeta Scalers to manipulate the notes, 2 * Roli Noise.
Effects - TB Reverb and FAC Alteza.

One take, no edits… hence the mistake(s)!

Comments

• You’ve trumped me, Tony, by playing this on GeoShred. Very nice, indeed.

• Give me a minute to pick my jaw up from off the floor. Wow. This is stunning. The fact that it was done with GeoShred makes it that much more impressive.

• Impressive chops

• edited June 2022

Wow Tony, now this is impressive!

Tell me, if you don’t mind, what exactly the Rozetta Scaler(s) are doing here, in regards to manipulating the notes. I assume constraining the scale? (Something Atom 2 is capable of as well I’ll note.)

edit: no pun intended

• Holy crap that was impressive. I’d love to see a video of you playing that in geoshred.

• Many thanks @LinearLineman , @MadeofWax , @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr , @Edward_Alexander and @lukesleepwalker for your lovely comments. 🙂 Took me a while to get there , think I started it sometime in April but had a few weeks out with a health issue so it’s nice to be able to finish it.
    @Edward_Alexander , yes it was constraining the scale. One let C Minor notes through to Oceans Lament preset in Roli and another two let through E Harmonic Minor and then C Minor to restrict the notes even further to Strings and Horns in Roli. I know I could have done this in lots of other ways but I had the Scalers there from a different project so just ran with them.
    @lukesleepwalker I nearly did it as a video… will try and do another version soon.

• I have never thought of GeoShred as a playing surface for keyboards. Very cool 'out of the box' thinking, and very well done. If there was a mistake, I didn't hear it. I am going to give this a try!

• Hi @Paulieworld , not really out of the box as it’s the only thing I can play!
    Only thing I did was limit the maximum velocity that GS sent to Ravenscroft to try and get rid of the ‘clangy’ piano sounds I sometimes get.

• Very cool! Would love to see a video of this too.

• @lukesleepwalker and @JudasZimmerman here’s a video of a new version … thanks for listening…

• Oh this is just sublime.

On a personal note, I will add that My Funny Valentine as sung by Frank Sinatra was the first song my wife and I danced to at our wedding reception, lo these many years ago.

Hearing it played in such a tender and intimate manner as you have done makes me “smile with my heart.”

Many thanks.

• Thanks very much @rottencat . The melody isn’t really there but the chords are pretty much from MFV.
    As you obviously like the original so much have a watch of this which is where I got my inspiration from…

• @GeoTony said:
    @lukesleepwalker and @JudasZimmerman here’s a video of a new version

Thank you, that was very interesting.

• @GeoTony Thanks for the video, that's very interesting to me. There were a couple of times where I said "how did he get his fingers in that shape?" and then I figured you used two hands to form the chord shape. Correct?

• Ha correct @lukesleepwalker , due to arthritis I probably have 8 available fingers so I use whatever I can!

• @GeoTony said:
    I’m in severe danger of treading on @LinearLineman ’s toes here but (to mix my metaphors) I may as well (try and) stand on the shoulders of a giant…

An improvisation based on the chords of My Funny Valentine as outlined by the excellent Dutch guitarist Paul Davids in his YouTube channel… well worth digging into!

Hi Tony,
    This is simply beautiful.
    Of course, the framework is a classic, and you made it your own!!!
    The keys are so heavenly.
    Truly relaxing and serene, I can just fade away from here.
    Great work!!!
    Rene

• That's fun to watch the GeoShred video and look for the guitar chords in your display. I don't like that
    white bubbles on every octave with the starburst on the note being touched for seeing the details but
    visually it's a cool idea.

I'm guessing you also work through these chordal concepts on a real fretboard too. Have you watched any of the Ted Green videos of lessons on voice leading?

Do you also use any of the other alternative physical musical interfaces like the harpejji or the Chapman Stick?

• McDMcD
    edited June 2022

You might like the "voice leading" lessons of Ted Green (the "Chord Chemistry" book author).
    This disciple video has a chord sheet to go along with the short lesson:

https://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/comping/Autumn_Leaves_TedGreeneComping_KeyOfEm_2_1983-12-11.pdf

• Thanks @McD , sorry about the bubbles! It was only when I watched the video back that I realised that the GS option was switched on. It's off now !
    Everything start to finish just done on GS.
    I can't use any physical stringed instrument (that I know of) due to arthritis so GS has been a blessing.
    Thanks for the video etc, will watch and Investigate later...

• @GeoTony said:
    Thanks @McD , sorry about the bubbles! It was only when I watched the video back that I realised that the GS option was switched on. It's off now !
    Everything start to finish just done on GS.

Thank you for going the extra mile.

I can't use any physical stringed instrument (that I know of) due to arthritis so GS has been a blessing.

Did you play guitars before the arthritis?

Thanks for the video etc, will watch and Investigate later...

I hope you get inspiration to do more standards with attention to voice leading… that’s my jam but it takes so much study to master. I relish even small sequences of chords taken from various sources like Steely Dan chords which are really good at this type of voice leading.

• Yes @McD , played acoustic guitar (badly) in teens / twenties then didn’t do a lot on it in thirties then got psoriatic arthritis out of the blue in forties which knackered my hands. Medication has meant that they haven’t got any worse and then when I discovered GeoShred (3 years next week) it was great as it felt far more natural than keyboards (which I tried for a while). Slightly bizarrely, playing guitar is about the only thing I can’t do as movement in general is Ok but bending the left hand around the neck and applying any pressure just doesn’t work. I’m now a far better GS player then I was a guitar player 😊