Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Greenwich Time Signal challenge…

See what you can create from the Greenwich Time Signal (commonly known as the Pips 🕛)… Just two rules…

1) No other sources of sounds allowed
2) Just one playing of the Pips

An optional 3rd rule is not to use apps such as PaulXStretch or SpaceFields… just makes it too easy!

The Pips are attached below…

Here is my attempt… look forward to hearing yours 🤔

Pips.mp3 145.2K

Comments

• What a brilliant idea and a superb result! 👍

• edited June 2022

Challenge accepted

All made in Koala Sampler using internal FX

• Excellent @dasgoods 👍
    I was beginning to think that nobody would rise to the challenge so many thanks for this. I found it strangely relaxing and preferred your version to mine. I don’t use Koala but this has made me want to investigate further. All the best.

• I'm in... Sorry I'm late I've had (have) covid again.

• @GeoTony said:
    Excellent @dasgoods 👍
    I was beginning to think that nobody would rise to the challenge so many thanks for this. I found it strangely relaxing and preferred your version to mine. I don’t use Koala but this has made me want to investigate further. All the best.

Thanks Tony

I'm very pro Koala Sampler, but I know you and others here have much more professional means to produce and compose your tracks.

I may share this challenge in the Koala Sampler group and see if anyone is willing to have a go.

• I love this idea, really impressed with both @GeoTony and @dasgoods' versions. There's something very soothing about the pips.

• No need to apologise @sevenape , not a race ! I’ve had covid once , not too bad but don’t want it again. Hope you soon recover fully.
    Not sure what I do or use is any more professional @dasgoods . It’s the end result that matters and yours is excellent.
    Feel free to join the pip party @FastGhost 😊

• Great idea!
    So I gave it a go as well and guess what I've used... yes.
    Both tracks by @dasgoods and @GeoTony are brilliant ambient pieces of music. I just clicked generate button and assigned samples. No artist over here. Anyway this is what I got and I think it's crazy but positive!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/tcsLfCJOYK0

• Made this a couple of days ago, but then had doubts if it was good enough. Just played it again, and I think it is, though in hindsight I could have faded it out a bit earlier.

Setup is multiple Gauss loops of different lengths and with different degradation settings, with at least one using the speed sequencer. Each loop has a different effects chain, including QVox, Quinta, Other Desert Cities, Rymdigare, Stratosphere, Black Hole and PhaseDelayArray. Everything hosted in AUM.

The pips sample is played once at the start to feed into the setup, everything else happens automatically until I start to fade out elements towards the end.

• I liked it @AntoninCharvat , for some reason I thought of it as the theme tune to a 1970s childrens TV program. Nicely done!

• It’s good enough @bygjohn ! Liked the piece and liked the video.
    I think knowing when to fade out is one of the biggest challenges with music like this.
    I had so many effects (MU Delay, Resonator, Alteza, Magic Dice, MixBox, Granular, Spirangle, Flux Mini 2, ModalEffect, AU3FX Space, Velvet Machine and PhaseDelayArray (one in common at least!)) and feedback loops in mine it would have gone on for ever…

• @GeoTony said:
    No need to apologise @sevenape , not a race ! I’ve had covid once , not too bad but don’t want it again. Hope you soon recover fully.

Thank you!! Maybe it’s the brain fog, but what exactly do you mean by just one playing of the pips? That I just play it once through effects and use the feedbacks from them to create something Or can I chop and edit the sample?

• Ooh tricky question. I meant the first one i.e just one play but life's too short to be pedantic so go for the chop and edit if you want .. Good luck!

• Here's mine...AUM, Gauss, Velvet Machine, Crystals, Undulator, MangledVerb ,Gatelab, Other Desert Cities, BLEASS Shimmer...

• Really liked the ringing bell sounds all the way through… be funny if the manipulated pip sounds meant something in morse code…

• edited June 2022

I'm afraid I can't make anything without rhythm, especially if it involves the pips. The drums were all made in apps from the original pips sounds though (in Sitala, Slate and DrumComputer), the rest is Koala, Crystals, VelvetMachine, Volcano and SpaceCraft.

• Here is my attempt.
    All made within Koala.
    Cheers.

• That is terrifying and brilliant in equal parts @Hegrind

• Thanks @FastGhost , I’d planned on more rhythm and percussion in mine but it finished up going in a different direction. Especially liked when the different rhythms come in at 1:15 and 2:15 (ish) in yours although I think you might have used everybody elses pips up 😊

• Great version @Hegrind . I watched the new version of Dune on Sunday night and this could have easily been part of the sound track. Another post that makes me want to investigate Koala!

• Thanks @GeoTony! This was a great idea and a lot of fun to put together. It’s interesting hearing different peoples’ takes on the same material.

For my track I used the Burns Audio Resonator and Granulator, the Blue Mangoo Stratosphere Cloud Reverb, the Audiomodern Panflow and lots of Velvet Machine.

• edited June 2022

Nicely done @rottencat . I can clearly hear the influence of Resonator and Granulator, great apps given that they are free. Bonus video as well! Thanks for taking up the challenge…

• Enjoyed that a lot @rottencat

• Here’s my contribution

I only used 3 apps - OtherDesertCities, Eos and Eventide ShimmerVerb

• @GeoTony said:
    See what you can create from the Greenwich Time Signal (commonly known as the Pips 🕛)… Just two rules…

Beautiful, spacey, and quite relaxing.
    The flow of electrons, I suppose if making my body atoms alive, hahahaha.
    Love this.
    Rene

• Thanks @barabajagal for your offering… very other worldly at a minute in and then slightly frightening at about 2:30. Despite this it felt a bit lighter than some of your work… or would you take that as an insult? Not meant as one! 😊

• @GeoTony said:
    Thanks @barabajagal for your offering… very other worldly at a minute in and then slightly frightening at about 2:30. Despite this it felt a bit lighter than some of your work… or would you take that as an insult? Not meant as one! 😊

Cheers, no I don’t take that as an insult at all. Although I’m not sure it’s on the light side 😂

• edited June 2022

Late to the party, and looking forward to listening to everyone else’s efforts (decided to make mine in isolation to avoid any influence/despair at better work by others…)

“He talked about terrible meetings in lonely places, of Cyclopean ruins in the heart of the Maine woods beneath which vast staircases lead down to abysses of nighted secrets, of complex angles that lead through invisible walls to other regions of space and time, and of hideous exchanges of personality that permitted explorations in remote and forbidden places, on other worlds, and in different space-time continua.” - H.P. Lovecraft, ‘The Thing On The Doorstep’

Danvers State Hospital was a psychiatric hospital in Danvers, Massachusetts, USA, opened in 1878. Danvers had previously been called Salem Village and was the site of the famous Salem Witch Trials of 1690, the name having been changed to distance itself from the events of the past. The buildings of the vast psychiatric facility, the model for Lovecraft’s Arkham Asylum, were linked by a series of underground tunnels, and the facility earned an evil reputation after a laboratory on site was rumoured to be engaged in unethical human experimentation. Wilder speculation even suggested these experiments in strait jacketing and sensory deprivation enabled the already fragile minds of the unfortunate parties subjected to the ‘treatments’ to range freely in space, time, and even to other dimensions. See also Jack London’s 1915 novel, ‘The Star Rover’:

‘ I trod interstellar space, exalted by the knowledge that I was bound on vast adventure, where, at the end, I would find all the cosmic formulae and have made clear to me the ultimate secret of the universe. In my hand I carried a long glass wand. It was borne in upon me that with the tip of this wand I must touch each star in passing. And I knew, in all absoluteness, that did I but miss one star I should be precipitated into some unplummeted abyss of unthinkable and eternal punishment and guilt.’

The Danvers facility, abandoned in 1992, was demolished for redevelopment in 2006, before falling victim to a mysterious fire in 2007 whilst still under (re)construction.

The piece, ‘In The Mean Time’, inspired by the unmooring from mundane time experienced by inmates undergoing such cruel and unusual ‘treatments’ as Lovecraft and London both drew upon - ‘mean times’, indeed - uses only the pips as a sound source, sliced, vari speeded, and otherwise unmoored in AUM File Players, no PaulXStretch, SpaceFields or any other instrument or sequencer used. Effects employed include Borderlands, Spacecraft, Rydimgare, and MIDILFOs on pitched playback.

• Here’s mine… not too far from my usual boring drones. Must say I’m really really impressed with what everyone has done… blimey!

• Blimey is a good word @sevenape ! Both @Svetlovska and your pieces are fantastic 👍
    I found ‘In the mean time’ quite disturbing @Svetlovska , too reminiscent of a recent brief stay in an Intensive Care Unit but that’s a good thing as it shows the power of music! Also the Dark Side of the Moon(ish) Heartbeat (ish) sound really worked.
    Yours was light relief in comparison @sevenape 😊 liked the repeated deep drone on yours and also the percussive , slightly insectivorous sounds.
    BTW the speaking clock ‘pips’ are different to the GMT pips. The clock is ‘on the third stroke…’ etc followed by three pips. The GMT pips are transmitted by many BBC stations on the hour and are the 6 pips used here.