Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sitala (drum sampler) coming to iOS / iPadOS, looking for feedback

Comments

• @echoopera said:

@HotStrange said:

@echoopera said:

@scotchi said:

@echoopera said:

Interesting. Isn’t a sample just a sample until it is used by the musician to make music. Drums can be derived from any sound source.

I understand the musical intuition you're coming from, but things are a little more complicated in Sitala. Kind of the driving philosophy behind philosophy is minimizing configuration and trying to just Get Things Right (TM). While samplers on iOS tend to be simpler in general, that philosophy is kind of the thing that makes Sitala pretty unique on the desktop -- where it feels like most competing apps really try to pack in as many controls as possible, our goal is really to do as much musically with as few controls as possible.

Sometimes that means that we need to be able to make assumptions about the content of the samples. Right now those assumptions are based on Sitala containing percussion samples. Of course you can trigger anything with it, and there's no reason not to, but it shines for percussion stuff.

For example, the Tone and Shape knobs aren't static controls. They do slightly different thing based on the content of the sample (particularly the length, leading and trailing silence and dominant frequencies).

I think you should support non transient samples which get sliced to a 16 Pad grid and let the musician decide what they want to do with the sound they import. That’s just my personal feeling since i use samples from all manner of places and sources.

You have a nice app. Seems counter intuitive to restrict it to just drum sounds or sounds with present transients. At least let the user create their own Slice marks as an override in the case of melodic sounds so we can Slice to Pads like we do in BeatMaker3 and Koala and Drambo to name a few.

That mostly came out of us asking, "How can we add a beat slicing feature while keeping the single-shot interface as simple as possible?" We then came to the idea of only turning on beat-slicing when we detected that it was relevant for the given sample.

Anyhoo it’s not worth a return considering the price but i just won’t be using it for sample slicing until i can bring in melodic/soundscape style audio tracks. Hope to see this in the future.

Sitala does support copy and paste, so you can of course copy a pad, paste it somewhere else, and then set the start and end points manually. Would something like "paste to all pads" get you most of the way there? That's something that we considered for this version, but in the end didn't end up adding.

Soooo…i should just continue using Koala, Drambo, sEGments or BM3 for my Sampling duties and only use Sitala for percussive sounds?🤷‍♂️

I guess I’d be breaking a Philosophical treatise if i used Koala to generate my Slices, then exported them to individual files and imported them to Sitala to play. Free will is a real knocker ain’t it.

Yes…i am attempting sarcasm on a forum thread. Hope it works 🤪

It seems like a nice Drum sampler you have here…i just think that not supporting user defined slicing is just a little weird. Forcing Transients to be present in an audio file in order for Slice to Pads to work seems overly demanding to the user. Transient detection should just happen in a Sampler, but also Number of Slices(even a max of 16) should just work as well.

I’ve never encountered a Sampler that cared about what kind of audio files you fed it. Sure the controls and parameters might be specific to percussive sounds. Even Atlas and XO don’t care what audio i feed it. If it detects something outside the Percussive domain, it tags it appropriately and let’s me use it…with their Percussive tuned parameters.

You have a chance to have a Digitakt style Sampler on iOS with some amazing functionality. Don’t sell it short because you want it to be so rigid in its framework. Yeah i know the Digitakt doesn’t support Slicing and forces me to do the Copy Paste tweak Star/End nonsense…but they want you to buy an OctaTrack for proper slicing. Maybe i shouldn’t have used that Sampler as an example for my case🤪

Maybe I’m more of an Alchemical subscriber to life than a philosophical one. I’m all about Getting Things Done (GTD™️) by any means necessary.

Free Will and all. 😉

Thanks for hearing me out and good luck with the app. I mean that sincerely 👊🏼™️

Thanks for stopping by our little peanut gallery as well. We’re a bunch of good hearted folks who occasionally look up from fingering our pieces of glass to smell the roses and enjoy the sunshine. 🤪

You’ve brought some light to these here parts, and i just want more light…ya know

All the best 🙏🏼💕

If you want Digitakt on iOS try Ton: Drum Machine. It’s fantastic.

Yep. But I’m fine with Drambo and the Digitakt Kit off of PatchStorage.

Oh cool didn’t realize there was a Drambo kit for the Digitakt. How much is it? Sounds awesome. I like Ton a lot because they really nailed the interface and vibe, and I like dedicated apps, but Drambo is also excellent.

• edited June 2022

@HotStrange said:

@echoopera said:

@HotStrange said:

@echoopera said:

@scotchi said:

@echoopera said:

Interesting. Isn’t a sample just a sample until it is used by the musician to make music. Drums can be derived from any sound source.

I understand the musical intuition you're coming from, but things are a little more complicated in Sitala. Kind of the driving philosophy behind philosophy is minimizing configuration and trying to just Get Things Right (TM). While samplers on iOS tend to be simpler in general, that philosophy is kind of the thing that makes Sitala pretty unique on the desktop -- where it feels like most competing apps really try to pack in as many controls as possible, our goal is really to do as much musically with as few controls as possible.

Sometimes that means that we need to be able to make assumptions about the content of the samples. Right now those assumptions are based on Sitala containing percussion samples. Of course you can trigger anything with it, and there's no reason not to, but it shines for percussion stuff.

For example, the Tone and Shape knobs aren't static controls. They do slightly different thing based on the content of the sample (particularly the length, leading and trailing silence and dominant frequencies).

I think you should support non transient samples which get sliced to a 16 Pad grid and let the musician decide what they want to do with the sound they import. That’s just my personal feeling since i use samples from all manner of places and sources.

You have a nice app. Seems counter intuitive to restrict it to just drum sounds or sounds with present transients. At least let the user create their own Slice marks as an override in the case of melodic sounds so we can Slice to Pads like we do in BeatMaker3 and Koala and Drambo to name a few.

That mostly came out of us asking, "How can we add a beat slicing feature while keeping the single-shot interface as simple as possible?" We then came to the idea of only turning on beat-slicing when we detected that it was relevant for the given sample.

Anyhoo it’s not worth a return considering the price but i just won’t be using it for sample slicing until i can bring in melodic/soundscape style audio tracks. Hope to see this in the future.

Sitala does support copy and paste, so you can of course copy a pad, paste it somewhere else, and then set the start and end points manually. Would something like "paste to all pads" get you most of the way there? That's something that we considered for this version, but in the end didn't end up adding.

Soooo…i should just continue using Koala, Drambo, sEGments or BM3 for my Sampling duties and only use Sitala for percussive sounds?🤷‍♂️

I guess I’d be breaking a Philosophical treatise if i used Koala to generate my Slices, then exported them to individual files and imported them to Sitala to play. Free will is a real knocker ain’t it.

It seems like a nice Drum sampler you have here…i just think that not supporting user defined slicing is just a little weird. Forcing Transients to be present in an audio file in order for Slice to Pads to work seems overly demanding to the user. Transient detection should just happen in a Sampler, but also Number of Slices(even a max of 16) should just work as well.

I’ve never encountered a Sampler that cared about what kind of audio files you fed it. Sure the controls and parameters might be specific to percussive sounds. Even Atlas and XO don’t care what audio i feed it. If it detects something outside the Percussive domain, it tags it appropriately and let’s me use it…with their Percussive tuned parameters.

You have a chance to have a Digitakt style Sampler on iOS with some amazing functionality. Don’t sell it short because you want it to be so rigid in its framework. Yeah i know the Digitakt doesn’t support Slicing and forces me to do the Copy Paste tweak Star/End nonsense…but they want you to buy an OctaTrack for proper slicing. Maybe i shouldn’t have used that Sampler as an example for my case🤪

Maybe I’m more of an Alchemical subscriber to life than a philosophical one. I’m all about Getting Things Done (GTD™️) by any means necessary.

Free Will and all. 😉

Thanks for hearing me out and good luck with the app. I mean that sincerely 👊🏼™️

Thanks for stopping by our little peanut gallery as well. We’re a bunch of good hearted folks who occasionally look up from fingering our pieces of glass to smell the roses and enjoy the sunshine. 🤪

You’ve brought some light to these here parts, and i just want more light…ya know

All the best 🙏🏼💕

Oh cool didn’t realize there was a Drambo kit for the Digitakt. How much is it? Sounds awesome. I like Ton a lot because they really nailed the interface and vibe, and I like dedicated apps, but Drambo is also excellent.

Oh it’s a free kit on PatchStorage. I did an overview of it on my YT Channel if you look me up. I don’t want to cross post to it on this thread.

• @echoopera said:

@HotStrange said:

@echoopera said:

@HotStrange said:

@echoopera said:

@scotchi said:

@echoopera said:

Free Will and all. 😉

All the best 🙏🏼💕

Oh it’s a free kit on PatchStorage. I did an overview of it on my YT Channel if you look me up. I don’t want to cross post to it on this thread.

Cool, thanks for the heads up! I’ll check it out. I don’t have a desktop at the moment. Can you download it via the iPad itself?

• @gosnote said:
    Really like the simple workflow approach of Sitala - thanks! I am always looking for a drum sampler that is cross-platform, since I like to transfer my productions over to Cubase on desktop for the final touch.

@scotchi Here are some refinements that I would appreciate in future updates (that hopefully would allow for maintaining the simplicity of the app's workflow):

• this one was already discussed here: having non downloaded iCloud files visible and be able to download within Sitala's browser

Yep, @luzifer is already working on that one.

• additionally drag and drop to pads from files app would be great

And I've started working on that.

• simple fade in and out handles in addition to start and end, or then ability to apply both positive and negative values for the "shape" knob at the same time

This isn't one we've talked about it in the past, but we've gotten a couple of requests for it, so we'll talk about it in our planning meeting next week.

• zoom into a waveform for adjusting start/end more accurately
    • ability to zoom in / focus on the selected sliced sample portion, possible even trim or crop to the selected portion

These are both planned, just haven't happened yet.

• ability to edit (add, delete)/ move hitpoints in a sliced sample
    • ability to adjust tuning control in semitone steps for tuning of eg kicks that are in certain key

We've got something similar planned: we're planning on having Sitala snap to notes for pitched samples.

For the desktop version I was expecting it to have a 4x4 pad layout which would reflect the layout of a typical pad controller. Maybe there could be user selectable pad layouts? e.g. 1x16 / 8x2 / 4x4?

A 4x4 layout will be part of the next desktop release. We just implemented it for the iPad release, and the desktop version is based on the same code, so we'll have something similar to the current iPad layout available. (The 1x16 layout is mostly semi-random consequence of @luzifer and I both being MachineDrum users.)

• What’s everyone’s using for sequencing this? I’ve noticed it seems like it has to be mapped to every sequencer I tried which is a bit of a pain so I’m wondering which may be best 🤔

• edited June 2022

@HotStrange said:
    What’s everyone’s using for sequencing this? I’ve noticed it seems like it has to be mapped to every sequencer I tried which is a bit of a pain so I’m wondering which may be best 🤔

Not sequencing right now…
    I record finger drumming in Sitala to Drambo MIDI FX inside AUM.
    Drambo MIDI FX out to Sitala on play.

• @HotStrange said:
    What’s everyone’s using for sequencing this? I’ve noticed it seems like it has to be mapped to every sequencer I tried which is a bit of a pain so I’m wondering which may be best 🤔

Drambo, LK, Rozeta Rhythm (use Elastic Drums template) all work.

• edited June 2022

Has anyone suggested a 12-bit switch for each pad for old school, Akai flavor?
    @luzifer

• @scotchi said:

@gosnote said:
    Really like the simple workflow approach of Sitala - thanks! I am always looking for a drum sampler that is cross-platform, since I like to transfer my productions over to Cubase on desktop for the final touch.

@scotchi Here are some refinements that I would appreciate in future updates (that hopefully would allow for maintaining the simplicity of the app's workflow):

• this one was already discussed here: having non downloaded iCloud files visible and be able to download within Sitala's browser

Yep, @luzifer is already working on that one.

• additionally drag and drop to pads from files app would be great

And I've started working on that.

• simple fade in and out handles in addition to start and end, or then ability to apply both positive and negative values for the "shape" knob at the same time

This isn't one we've talked about it in the past, but we've gotten a couple of requests for it, so we'll talk about it in our planning meeting next week.

• zoom into a waveform for adjusting start/end more accurately
    • ability to zoom in / focus on the selected sliced sample portion, possible even trim or crop to the selected portion

These are both planned, just haven't happened yet.

• ability to edit (add, delete)/ move hitpoints in a sliced sample
    • ability to adjust tuning control in semitone steps for tuning of eg kicks that are in certain key

We've got something similar planned: we're planning on having Sitala snap to notes for pitched samples.

For the desktop version I was expecting it to have a 4x4 pad layout which would reflect the layout of a typical pad controller. Maybe there could be user selectable pad layouts? e.g. 1x16 / 8x2 / 4x4?

A 4x4 layout will be part of the next desktop release. We just implemented it for the iPad release, and the desktop version is based on the same code, so we'll have something similar to the current iPad layout available. (The 1x16 layout is mostly semi-random consequence of @luzifer and I both being MachineDrum users.)

@scotchi sounds fantastic! It’s great to interact with such responsive developers. Only thing I wish I could do is pay for a good product (on desktop) 😊

• @Stuntman_mike said:
    @luzifer

We had discussed the possibility of adding a dirt knob with @scotchi quite early when we developed the first or second alpha for desktop but demand from our users wasn't that big back in the days. I guess most people just chain a bit crush effect to achieve something similar.

• @auxmux said:

@HotStrange said:

Good tip on using the elastic drums template! I’ll give that a shot. Maybe Bram Bos can add a template for Sitila 🤔

• @luzifer said:

@Stuntman_mike said:
    @luzifer

We had discussed the possibility of adding a dirt knob with @scotchi quite early when we developed the first or second alpha for desktop but demand from our users wasn't that big back in the days. I guess most people just chain a bit crush effect to achieve something similar.

I think it would be cool to have one natively in the app, but I’m also fine using other plugins for that sound. Digging the app so far though! Very simplistic in the best possible way.

• @Stuntman_mike said:

@HotStrange said:

Not sequencing right now…
    I record finger drumming in Sitala to Drambo MIDI FX inside AUM.
    Drambo MIDI FX out to Sitala on play.

Yet another reason for me to dive more into Drambo haha.

• @HotStrange said:

Also note that you can save mappings and recall them in other projects.

• edited June 2022

@luzifer said:

@eross said:
    can you copy one pad, to another pad?

yes. even across tracks, projects or apps

^^this is a great feature! copying pads from one auv3 instance to another works great in Cubasis. what do you @luzifer mean by "across apps"? that would actually be great to have in the desktop version as well: can you copy pads from one vst instance to another in e.g. Cubase Pro, or copy/drag a pad to an audio track, or even across different vst samplers (like Sitala to Groove Agent)? Sorry, these are desktop related questions...

• @gosnote said:

@luzifer said:

@eross said:
    can you copy one pad, to another pad?

yes. even across tracks, projects or apps

^^this is a great feature! copying pads from one auv3 instance to another works great in Cubasis. what do you @luzifer mean by "across apps"? that would actually be great to have in the desktop version as well: can you copy pads from one vst instance to another in e.g. Cubase Pro, or copy/drag a pad to an audio track, or even across different vst samplers (like Sitala to Groove Agent)? Sorry, these are desktop related questions...

I mean you could e.g. copy a pad from a project in Garageband to a project in Cubasis.
    The next version on Desktop will finally also include this feature :)

• @auxmux said:

@HotStrange said:

The FAC DrumKit within Polybeat gets all 16 voices of Sitala though the labeling is off (yet still totally workable). It'd be worth making a custom CC template.

@luzifer @scotchi Sitala is great! xx

• @Proppa said:

@auxmux said:

@HotStrange said:

The FAC DrumKit within Polybeat gets all 16 voices of Sitala though the labeling is off (yet still totally workable). It'd be worth making a custom CC template.

@luzifer @scotchi Sitala is great! xx

I have Cykle and love it. Looks like I finally need to get Polybeat.

• O> @luzifer said:

@HotStrange said:

Also note that you can save mappings and recall them in other projects.

Oh very cool. So if you map it once you shouldn’t have to do it again then?

• @HotStrange said:

Polybeat is borderline perfect for XOX style sequencing. I love the simplicity of Octachron too but Polybeat is Universal and has more nuanced parameter control per step and, in the case of Sitala, 16 lanes (vs Octachron's 8).

• edited June 2022

@Proppa said:

@HotStrange said:

Polybeat is borderline perfect for XOX style sequencing. I love the simplicity of Octachron too but Polybeat is Universal and has more nuanced parameter control per step and, in the case of Sitala, 16 lanes (vs Octachron's 8).

Yeah Octachron is one of my go-to’s but if it’s similar but better I’m sure I’ll love it. Is it your favorite drum sequencer?

• @HotStrange said:

@Proppa said:

@HotStrange said:

Yeah Octachron is one of my go-to’s but if it’s similar but better I’m sure I’ll love it. Is it your favorite drum sequencer?

Definitely my favorite for drum-based sequencing. Can use it on all devices, 16 lanes, great amount of parameter options. I reckon there's no way to be disappointed in Polybeat if you're a fan of Octachron. : )

• edited June 2022

@PeteSasqwax said:

@scotchi said:
    A while back we wrote a converter from Live Drum Racks to Sitala kits (to convert the whole Samples from Mars collection), which it may now be time to dust off to see if we can get it in a state that we could throw in the general direction of users. (It'd probably be a separate converting tool rather than integrated into Sitala itself.)

Holy shit, that's insane! I love my SFM collection but have barely scratched the surface of it using it within iOS whereas in Live I can just import the instruments and go nuts. Being able to do the same thing within iOS would be truly incredible

Yes I think I’ve got all their drum packs but I’ve been using ios more and more for music making. I know it won’t be able to do a 1:1 conversion due to how they set up different macros on different kits but I prefer to start them off dry anyway. This would breathe a whole lot of new life into a ton of kits gathering dust.

Also I opened up DigiStix this morning pretty sure that it could also switch samples in their directory but I guess not. Plus it kept crashing….so now I’m really interested in this.

If I can just whip together some drums in no time from sample directories that’s good enough, so this seems like it. No need for a bunch of bells and whistles. I’m fine with sequencing and fx from the outside.
    As far as slicing and melody, Koala already does it superbly (plus the best timestretch options).

Probly won’t be long til I spring for this.

And the thought of all those SFM kits ready to go on here…..omfg 🤤

But how will it handle kits with more than 16 samples? Will it break them up into separate kits?

• edited June 2022

This app has good Feng Shui! A+ user experience and attractive enough to be pleasing and informative but not distracting.

• @Proppa said:

@HotStrange said:

@Proppa said:

@HotStrange said:

Definitely my favorite for drum-based sequencing. Can use it on all devices, 16 lanes, great amount of parameter options. I reckon there's no way to be disappointed in Polybeat if you're a fan of Octachron. : )

Awesome thanks for the recommendation. I’ll be buying it later this week :)

• edited June 2022

@scotchi
    Was just thinking about iPadOS clipboard functions. Like Neon, you can copy selected audio and paste into another instance of neon. It would be cool to paste from Neon to Sitala. Whaddyathink? Unless you're thinking about sampling in the box?

• @shazbot said:
    Was just thinking about iPadOS clipboard functions. Like Neon, you can copy selected audio and paste into another instance of neon. It would be cool to paste from Neon to Sitala. Whaddyathink? Unless you're thinking about sampling in the box?

Ironically we talked about that today (though not specifically with Neon). You can already copy between different instances of Sitala.

Basically my response was, "There's such a big pile of stuff that people have asked for that how about we do that first before adding stuff that people haven't asked for." And then of course someone asks for it. ;-)

It may be possible, and if it is, it's probably not very hard. In our talks today we basically decided to do one really quick release (this week, probably) with drag and drop, and then to do another release a week or two later that has the ability to access remote iCloud storage and has a couple of bug fixes.

Annoyingly, for the techie folks to whom this will make sense, we flubbed getting the debugging symbols generated for the build we submitted, so even though we can see there are a small number of crashes, we have no idea what's causing them. So it makes sense for us to get a fresh build out as quickly as possible (and this time not to throw away our debugging symbols) so that we can fix those additional bugs while we're also working on the iCloud stuff.

• @scotchi said:

@shazbot said:

Ironically we talked about that today (though not specifically with Neon). You can already copy between different instances of Sitala.

Basically my response was, "There's such a big pile of stuff that people have asked for that how about we do that first before adding stuff that people haven't asked for." And then of course someone asks for it. ;-)

It may be possible, and if it is, it's probably not very hard. In our talks today we basically decided to do one really quick release (this week, probably) with drag and drop, and then to do another release a week or two later that has the ability to access remote iCloud storage and has a couple of bug fixes.

Annoyingly, for the techie folks to whom this will make sense, we flubbed getting the debugging symbols generated for the build we submitted, so even though we can see there are a small number of crashes, we have no idea what's causing them. So it makes sense for us to get a fresh build out as quickly as possible (and this time not to throw away our debugging symbols) so that we can fix those additional bugs while we're also working on the iCloud stuff.

👍🏽 Cool. Thanks.

• I'll just go ahead and lob this into the discussion... @luzifer got this done today...

One request for the folks following along at home: if you bought Sitala this week, would you mind leaving us a review? Currently our rating is being dragged down by a user who gave it a one star review for not having the ability to copy and paste pads... which Sitala can actually do.

• edited June 2022

@shazbot said:

And the thought of all those SFM kits ready to go on here…..omfg 🤤

But how will it handle kits with more than 16 samples? Will it break them up into separate kits?

If I remember correctly, pretty much all of the SFM drum kits only have 16 samples.

I also started working on our tool to convert kits again last night. I just did a little cleaning in the code, and still need to throw a GUI on it (it's currently a command line tool), so it'll still be a few days before that's ready for messing with. But then, in theory, it should be able to convert ".adg" kits straight into self-contained Sitala kits.

Of course the pre-made kids I posted a link to should also work as soon as they're dropped into the right spot.

The work-in-progress for the converter is up on Github:

https://github.com/decomposer/SitalaConverter