Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - June 2022

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine

Comments

• edited June 2022

My entry this month, lyrics in the spoiler:

Who are you?
    What is it that feels true?
    The things you say, that you believe
    All those things you thought you knew

Now you’re older
    You feel colder
    So many days just feel the same
    Just apathy and pointless blame
    Now you’re older
    You feel cold

What to do?
    When the bill becomes due
    What’s left to say, that you believe
    If there’s nothing here for you

Now you’re older
    You feel colder
    Now you’re older
    You feel cold

• This is a music track that I improvised on an iPad with Animoog Z, TAL-U-NO-LX, and Continua. I used MIDI Tape Recorder (within AUM) to capture the performance and AUM to record the audio.

After bringing the AUM recording over to my PC, I applied the Lurssen Mastering Console plug-in to the audio mix within Vegas Pro.

It's titled Later That Night.

• edited June 2022

This one is about the family cat.

The iPad link is that I recorded the Acoustic on the iPad (Shure MVi - awesome little interface). The rest was achieved outside the iPad. See below for the vocal recording booth and microphone. Very mobile solution I've only recently discovered. It's really freed up my ability to record vocals. Maybe there is a drop in quality but my voice doesn't deserve any better.

Vocal Booth

Microphone

• @Ailerom said:

The iPad link is that I recorded the Acoustic on the iPad (Shure MVi - awesome little interface). The rest was achieved outside the iPad. See below for the vocal recording booth and microphone. Very mobile solution I've only recently discovered. It's really freed up my ability to record vocals. Maybe there is a drop in quality but my voice doesn't deserve any better.

Vocal Booth

Microphone

It's great, I love everything about it. Catchy tune, well-performed, great vocals, bouncy happy vibe that is perfect for the song. The cat noises are fun too :)

The vocals do sound a tad muffled, that's probably down to the zoom mics. Cars are well-known for being good to record vocals in.

My only crit is that last month you posted your track and didn't give any feedback to anyone else. Please take the time to do this, otherwise the whole concept of the club falls apart, if everyone just posts without listening to others. Thanks :)

• edited June 2022

@richardyot said:

I enjoyed this. Tight playing and nice vocals.

@DavidEnglish said:
    This is a music track that I improvised on an iPad with Animoog Z, TAL-U-NO-LX, and Continua. I used MIDI Tape Recorder (within AUM) to capture the performance and AUM to record the audio.

After bringing the AUM recording over to my PC, I applied the Lurssen Mastering Console plug-in to the audio mix within Vegas Pro.

Lovely!

@Ailerom said:

Wow, love the playing here and the vocals! I am not crazy about the meows throughout (at the beginning it was OK), but I understand it's about a cat.

@prtr_jan said:
    with [[]]togethermachine

smooth!

• My contribution to the SOTM June 2022 is an upbeat 80s dance track inspired by the songs of Modern Talking. Hope you like it (and feel the grove :smiley: ). Will comment on other songs soon.

• songs this month was very close to end up in the trash, I was not in the ”flow”. Decided to finnish them up instead of throwing them away

Spotify

Bandcamp

• @richardyot said:
    My only crit is that last month you posted your track and didn't give any feedback to anyone else. Please take the time to do this, otherwise the whole concept of the club falls apart, if everyone just posts without listening to others. Thanks :)

Sure. It's a poor excuse but I get barely enough time for my music, work, family. You're right, I'll find time to listen to the others.

• @AlexY said:
    I am not crazy about the meows throughout (at the beginning it was OK), but I understand it's about a cat.

Yep, it's the theme. And she annoys me, so I guess it makes sense that the song is annoying as well. Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated.

• @richardyot said:

Who are you?
    What is it that feels true?
    The things you say, that you believe
    All those things you thought you knew

Now you’re older
    You feel colder
    Now you’re older
    You feel cold

What to do?
    When the bill becomes due
    What’s left to say, that you believe
    If there’s nothing here for you

Now you’re older
    You feel colder
    Now you’re older
    You feel cold

I like the intro synth arp, its also returning later in the song, chord progression has some nice ”dark tension” wich makes it alot more interesting, the chorus is great, I like it

• edited June 2022

Hi Guys.. This track i did is with P Monie .. Who is a radio DJ in the U.S.A.. Its a Soulful House meets Hip House.. Its being released on Promo in a couple of weeks.. P Monie (Mr Pierre Giles) wanted to make a track & a statement over the Ukraine situation.. So he messaged me if i was up for a Collab.. So i said, Yep!.. So this is the first project together we did.. Even the Record label was surprised in combining different genre's.. ''Coming to Veksler Records next week, it's the exclusive collaboration with Darren Studholme & Pierre J. Gilles in this Soulful House vocal unlike anything before. Hip House is back! Thanks for spreading the word!''

Enjoys everyone..

• @richardyot said:

Part of the reason I don't respond is because I find it really difficult to know what to say. I don't want to be critical but I also can't just say something is wonderful for the sake of it.

Here goes. The arp, when it came in I really liked that as the start of the song. That's what we used to call a goog track 30+ years ago. We used to try to work something like that into most songs to give it some movement. I like that. I think I would have liked it to drop down in level, thin out, lose the effects and keep going. When the vocal came in it sat with the mix really well. That is one of the hardest things I find to do. My vocals always seem to come in sounding like they don't belong, and pretty much stay that way. The one thing I would say is that I really can't handle wrong notes and that was the thing that bugged me about the vocal. It sounded fine but there were notes that were off and it just ruined that moment of the song for me. I'd rather here Melodyne step in for a brief moment to correct that sort of issue. It did also have a bit of a vibe that it was an instrumental with vocals slapped over the top. Is there a way to create more space for the vocals? I know there is, it's not easy, I'm terrible at it, but this song would benefit from it. I did my best, sorry if it is too harsh. I try not to think about whether I like the song or not and that's what I focused on here. Not the sort of track I would ever listen to but I can tell it is well mixed apart from the relationship between the vocal and instruments (IMHO of course).

• edited June 2022

@studs1966 said:
    Hi Guys.. This track i did is with P Monie ..

I would never listen to a song like this by choice so all I can do is tell you want I think, without knowing what a song like this is supposed to sound like. The vocal sits fairly well in the mix. It's about 70% there as far as sitting in the mix for me. For reference, I think I generally achieve about 20 to 40%. When the harmony comes in it sits nicer but that is pretty normal as a vocal get more layers. I would have like a little more melody in the verse (in between choruses) vocal. A bit too repetitive and lost a bit of the interest it started with.

Nearly forgot, it's was not half bad. A fun sounding song, upbeat, a bit too fat in the low end for me but overall a good mix. A bit repetitive but still fun to listen to.

• @richardyot said:

Quite pleasantly surprised with the sparse synth arp / drum intro before the pads rolled in. It was a refreshing touch. And that interlude with the arp once again with the percussive drums does provide a nice break. Overall I'd say this is a lovely piece that can be improved to be even better. Thank you for sharing, as always. :smile:

• @DavidEnglish said:
    This is a music track that I improvised on an iPad with Animoog Z, TAL-U-NO-LX, and Continua. I used MIDI Tape Recorder (within AUM) to capture the performance and AUM to record the audio.

From the sound and feel of this ambient piece I'd say that what happened Later That Night was a smooth, meditative trip of relaxation and lead to a deep, restful sleep. It is late at night that I am listening to it and it has put me in such a mood. As always, lovely stuff! :smile:

• @Ailerom said:

That is a lot of fun! I have two cats and I can relate. But I gotta say, none of my cats make this sound. Your cat sounds like it's giving orders! haha. The song is great; engaging guitar work that mimic the cat and there is good forward momentum, too. On top of that, really good songwriting! This one is perfect for those home videos (of the cat). Thank you for sharing! :smile:

• @martinsa82 said:
    songs this month was very close to end up in the trash, I was not in the ”flow”. Decided to finnish them up instead of throwing them away

Spotify

Bandcamp

I would have preferred this one without the drums. I was expecting a really well-rounded bass to come in at any moment and fill the bottom end and transport me somewhere. I listened through to the end and this one left me feeling a little anxious as I unconsciously wanted a resolution somewhere. Out of habit I think. Not the fault of this piece. One of my favourite 3-piece bands with an upright bass, drums and piano is Gogo Penguin and this one has that sort of feel which kept me listening and made me appreciate it. Thank you for sharing! :smile:

• @spyrogaia said:

@martinsa82 said:
    songs this month was very close to end up in the trash, I was not in the ”flow”. Decided to finnish them up instead of throwing them away

Spotify

Bandcamp

I would have preferred this one without the drums. I was expecting a really well-rounded bass to come in at any moment and fill the bottom end and transport me somewhere. I listened through to the end and this one left me feeling a little anxious as I unconsciously wanted a resolution somewhere. Out of habit I think. Not the fault of this piece. One of my favourite 3-piece bands with an upright bass, drums and piano is Gogo Penguin and this one has that sort of feel which kept me listening and made me appreciate it. Thank you for sharing! :smile:

Thank you! yes I agree with you about some kind of resolution is missing, im not that happy with this track actually but it has some moments, but I like the drums for keeping it going. I like gogo penguin aswell 😁!

• @DavidEnglish said:

The late-night vibe is perfectly captured :)

It's a nice minimalist piece with a simple but effective melody and some lovely sound design.

• @DavidEnglish you captured a wide sound, medative song, nice sound design.

@Ailerom you got nice voice for rock songs, I think the cat sound is a bit annoying like said before :) good mix and sound overall, I think the fun thing nowdays is that like you made here a good recording with simple equipment in a simple enviroment. We got so much possibilities with just an ipad, or a computer.

@prtr_jan nice vibe, good production, feeling like an afternoon winedrinking restaurant type of tune

@spyrogaia I like the 80s music alot and I think the sounds fits really nice 👍 maybe a bit repetitive, but I like it! captures the modern talking groove

• An enjoyable slice of downtempo electronica. The main theme/riff is pleasing and the background sounds and textures add some life to the track. Maybe the beat is a little monotonous though, I might like it better with more swing or more variety, but overall the track works well and is an enjoyable listen.

• @spyrogaia said:
    My contribution to the SOTM June 2022 is an upbeat 80s dance track inspired by the songs of Modern Talking. Hope you like it (and feel the grove :smiley: ). Will comment on other songs soon.

You captured the 80s vibe perfectly :)

The bass patch has a classic (is it DX7?) feel, that takes you back in time. I like the call and response arrangement in the first half of the track (between the bass and synth parts) and then the more dense arrangement in the second half. The melodies are very good and are what make the track so enjoyable to listen to.

There's a beautiful summery vibe to the whole thing that works perfectly with the retro feel, and you managed to make an 80s-sounding track that wasn't cheesy, which is a feat in itself!

• edited June 2022

@martinsa82 said:

Spotify

Bandcamp

Beautiful piano performance, the melody is very varied and constantly evolving and is interesting to listen to all the way through, it would have been a shame to trash this :)

The arrangement is well done, and it ebbs and flows nicely, with changes to the drums and to the melodic themes being played. It's a good piece, maybe just a fraction too long though.

• This month I'm participating with a partial cover of a Steve Stills song that I love.
    https://soundcloud.com/kitusai/420a-1

• @Kitusai said:
    This month I'm participating with a partial cover of a Steve Stills song that I love.

This is cool, I’m no expert in Stills songs and dont know what song this is partial cover from, I have listened to Crosby, stills nash and young alot. You capture the feeling here! great work and great sound/production, but a bit short! I could easily listen for one more minute or more :smile:

• @Kitusai said:
    This month I'm participating with a partial cover of a Steve Stills song that I love.

Nice cover, I especially like the banjo (or is it a guitar that sounds like a banjo?). The vocal performance is good, and so is the playing. The synth at the end is a lovely touch.

@martinsa82 the song is 4 + 20, it's from the classic CSN&Y album Deja Vu, you probably have heard it :)

• @richardyot said:

@Kitusai said:

Nice cover, I especially like the banjo (or is it a guitar that sounds like a banjo?). The vocal performance is good, and so is the playing. The synth at the end is a lovely touch.

@martinsa82 the song is 4 + 20, it's from the classic CSN&Y album Deja Vu, you probably have heard it :)

aha ok, I have definitly heard it 👍 great album

• @DavidEnglish said:

Sounds like a soundtrack that could easily be slotted into any number of grandiose sci-fi scenes. I imagine flying in over some totally bizarre but beautiful alien planet for the first time.

• @Kitusai said:

I like the exotic percussion. Always enjoy that sort of thing. And the swells are beautiful. If there is one thing that took away from it I'd say the vocal was a bit on the harsh side.