Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

JWM - June 11th (Simple Ambient Piece)

I haven't produced anything in a week, so here I made something basic in AUM. VHS Synth recorded into Gauss for the drone (and a bit of Velvet Machine). The piano is the default from Korg Module Pro recorded into two instances of Gauss: one being the melody, and the other being the IV-I chords. This time instead of Alteza, I put on the master track Bleass' Shimmer and Bleass' Reverb, followed by a peak limiter (though the sound never reached the threshold, lol, but it's good practice to have a limiter on the master track just in case of unexpected sound spikes).

Comments

• Nice! You just can’t beat the distant heavily reverbed sound from a piano. I agree with your practise of using a limiter even if you don’t think anything will peak, just in case. Some things on iOS can suddenly give you a nasty loud surprise! 😁 Great stuff, mate. You’re getting quite the collection of ambient drones now! 👍

• The piano really added something to this… very enjoyable!

• @Spidericemidas said:
    Nice! You just can’t beat the distant heavily reverbed sound from a piano. I agree with your practise of using a limiter even if you don’t think anything will peak, just in case. Some things on iOS can suddenly give you a nasty loud surprise! 😁

coughAudio Damagecough

Great stuff, mate. You’re getting quite the collection of ambient drones now! 👍

Thanks mate. 🤩 Means a lot to me.

@u0421793 said:
    👍

☺️

@GeoTony said:
    The piano really added something to this… very enjoyable!

I'm glad. 😃 Thank you so much mate.

• I love dark ambient and noise taking me into spacial voids. But you implement a story with melodies that lead the way. Jim, this is it, mate!! Everlasting tracks that dont ever start nor end. I feel you are happy doing your ambient vs previous edm. It works, it really does. I feel happy too, listening and become at ease, thank you ❤️

• @Bob said:
    I love dark ambient and noise taking me into spacial voids. But you implement a story with melodies that lead the way. Jim, this is it, mate!! Everlasting tracks that dont ever start nor end. I feel you are happy doing your ambient vs previous edm. It works, it really does. I feel happy too, listening and become at ease, thank you ❤️

Thank you so much mate. Your kind words mean a lot to me. ☺️

Oh I still like producing EDM music don't get me wrong and can produce it at a moment's notice, but for the life of me I just cannot seem to come up with any new melodies or ideas within the many EDM genres that exist! With EDM, there's the planning of the main melody, programming the beats, etc. It just becomes stale and unfulfilling after a while, and in reality, I think I'd enjoy EDM production more as a collaborative effort than a solo one.

When I remixed "Together Again" by Sash! ("Encore Une Fois", "Ecuador", "Mysterious Times", etc), I didn't quite do it on my own. I would send Sascha the work-in-progress file for feedback, and then adjust things to taste, whether the vocals were too quiet or too loud, or if a sound needed to be swapped with another, or the Trance lead needed beefing up, etc. He and I worked together to make my remix shine! (It was also a dream come true for me to work with my hero Sascha as I've listened to Sash! music since I was a pre-teen!)

Anyways, back to Ambient. With Ambient, I have the option to program things on a timeline much like with EDM production, but what fun is that? Unlike with EDM production, I can live produce/perform Ambient, and that's where the real happiness and satisfaction comes in. (I know some folks can live produce EDM, but it really doesn't interest me.) I can start an Ambient project with a basic idea, or I can plan out what I want to do, or I can just let spontaneity take over and make "happy accidents" like an aural version of Bob Ross!

And this is why I have my iPhone on me at all times. Not just for social media and business but also to record interesting sounds at a moment's notice to airdrop to Audioshare on my iPad Pro. Or if I come up dry for ideas, I'll just go to freesound.org and see what the "random sample of the day" is and start an Ambient project from there.

I held off buying Flip Sampler for so long, because I felt it was very limited and rudimentary in what it could achieve compared to Koala. However, today I just purchased it and produced a dark Ambient track with it that I'll post tomorrow. Well okay, MOST of the Flip track was live performed in Flip. Then I ran the resulting recording through Alteza and Reelbus in AUM with a peak limiter at the end of the chain in case the signal decided to spike beyond -0dB lol. Of COURSE I twiddled the knobs within Alteza live to produce tension and release, lol.

But yeah, how the hell did I sleep on Flip for so long!? Sheesh! All my talk about seeking a workflow from "working within limitations", and man I was sleeping on Flip!

Anyways, thank you for listening to my music and reading this half-drunken wall of text, lol. I'm glad my music makes you feel happy. :) Cheers mate.

• Thanks for sharing your journey with us. It's interesting to see how things develop in your creative world. The processes and the apps you're using. Ambient is an interesting rabbit hole to go down (blurry edges and all). Nice stuff.

• This one has a “Swarm of Locusts” vibe. It’s nice to hear them without the actual infestation.

It’s also what I imagine small particle physics videos would sound like… just and endless vista of quarks and
    Other essential pieces of reality.

I could dance to this with the right medicines and have a great time.