Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apps tp remove reverb from a sample and bring it to the front more

I have splice and often find great samples i want to use but they have reverb, and some distortion and sound too distant/far away. i want to cut the reverb, bring the sample more to the front,

whats your suggestions? like, an effect chain of apps or maybe theres one app thats good for this? any advice would be appreciated. thank you.

Comments

• To shorten the reverb and bring it closer in the stereo image?

I would use a transient designer to shorten the sustain,
    a noise gate with a short release time and an M/S decoder.
    If you don't have a transient designer then simply use the noise gate and M/S decoder.
    AUM has one inbuilt and here's an M/S decoder for dRambo.
    https://patchstorage.com/ms-decoder-v-1/

You could also use

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/simplestereowidening/id1501592457

Another thought, you could also try using an expander instead of the noise gate.
    Same thing applies which is a shorter release time.

• edited June 2022

Pan the sound to bring it more to the center.
    Use an EQ like LRC5, Fabfilter, or Toneboosters to try and cut out some of the reverb.

You could also use Brusfri to capture some of the reverb sound and use it to filter it.

Hope this helps. #SEONN

• Not iOS but if you don’t mind going to desktop zynaptic makes high quality plugins
    Unveil is perfect for what you need

https://www.zynaptiq.com/unveil/

• @Gravitas said:
    To shorten the reverb and bring it closer in the stereo image?

If you don't have a transient designer then simply use the noise gate and M/S decoder.

You could also use

Another thought, you could also try using an expander instead of the noise gate.

thank you! i was thinking transient effects. didnt know aum had one inbuilt, thanks for the drambo patch too. i suck at noise gates always make it too static/distorted.. need to learn them better.

can you explain what a Mid/Side DECODER is?
    i know M/S and what it means, kinda, but never heard of a decoder..

what about using AUMs transient designer (or i was think FACs transient) and then Pro Q3 and do some sharp notches on some of the higher freqs, and m/s EQ the mid range frequencies a little higher to bring them out while kinda slightly low shelfing the higher end? then finally maybe some slight saturation +compression or something to bring it out more so it sounds less... "recorded in a room"?

also i have simple stereo widener and i thought widening it would bring it to the background even more? am i missing something? i want it more in the front so its the prominent melody instrument playing, over the mono bassline and very centered drums, i want this sound to be the main sound, then i have some background effects and atmosphere effects. eventually vocals will sit in the center of the mix and be MOST prominent but under the vocals i want this sample to be the driving melody over the drums and bass. if that makes sense

• @joniqwest said:
    Not iOS but if you don’t mind going to desktop zynaptic makes high quality plugins
    Unveil is perfect for what you need

https://www.zynaptiq.com/unveil/

im low on funds, i do have a PC and reason 11, havent used it in a while. how much is it?

• @seonnthaproducer said:
    Use an EQ like LRC5, Fabfilter, or Toneboosters to try and cut out some of the reverb.

You could also use Brusfri to capture some of the reverb sound and use it to filter it.

Hope this helps. #SEONN

was thinking Brusfri! also, how do i pan something to bring it more to the center? like, ive already converted the sample to mono (still have an unconverted version though) so im not sure what you mean

• @pr4y_4_beats said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

Eq doesn’t cut out reverb though if you were using a lo or hi pass filter
    you could use the filter itself to quieten the reverb but it also affects
    the frequencies of the sound that the OP needs to be in front.
    When using eq you’re only adjusting frequency not time
    and reverb is both frequency and time.

Getting deep, you could use an envelope filter but
    it’s to fiddly for something quite straight forward.

Brusfri is a good suggestion.

Hope this helps. #SEONN

was thinking Brusfri! also, how do i pan something to bring it more to the center? like, ive already converted the sample to mono (still have an unconverted version though) so im not sure what you mean

Once you’ve removed all stereo content from the sound then the only way
    to make the sound more prominent is by mixing the other sounds around it
    and as the sound is now mono then leave it panned dead center.

• @pr4y_4_beats said:
    im low on funds, i do have a PC and reason 11, havent used it in a while. how much is it?

Then it‘s rather Acon Digital‘s DeVerberate for $99, UnVeil is back to it‘s regular price in the $300 range.
    I have UnVeil myself and once compared DeVerberate 2, similar performance but imho better control in UnVeil.
    The current version of DeVerberate is 3, which I don‘t know... probably improved significantly.

The Transient Designer approach works, too, but of course not that detailed.
    As a quick approach even surprisingly well. It‘s all I ever used the SPL TD for.

• @Gravitas said:

>

AUM has one inbuilt

so i just opened up AUM and could not find the transient designer you spoke of. is it actually called transient designer or is it called something else?

is it one of their paid AUs like Dub, Space, Push, etc?

so to me, it seems like brusfri and a transient shaper + tight subtractive EQing (there are some sharp high pitched ringing around 1000hz that interefers with a higher pitched background effect sound im using its almost the exact same frequency so you cant even really hear the background effect), then some kind of slight saturation to give the sound some more character (maybe better done with send or bus or parallel?) and then another eq to bring out the mid freqs more, using both stereo and m/s bands with pro q 3....? then finally, and only possibly, with a send/bus/or parellel, add a very tight and short and subtle delay to the higher end (to make it sound like its in the front by adding subtle high end delay like its starting from front and "traveling to the back"?)

am i thinking correctly here?

• @pr4y_4_beats If you're taking the EQ approach, make sure you're using one with dynamic EQ bands like Toneboosters EQ or Pro-Q3. It will help you to carve out the specific sound of the original sample and adjust its dynamic response in fine detail, giving you back a lot of the punch that has been lost due to reverberation. That only works OK if there's not too much reverb though.

This is only a hack, a better approach would be de-convolution with a known impulse response of the reverb but that's likely not available in your case. Using Zynaptiq Unveil is certainly the second best option.

• @rs2000 said:
    @pr4y_4_beats If you're taking the EQ approach, make sure you're using one with dynamic EQ bands like Toneboosters EQ or Pro-Q3. It will help you to carve out the specific sound of the original sample and adjust its dynamic response in fine detail, giving you back a lot of the punch that has been lost due to reverberation. That only works OK if there's not too much reverb though.

This is only a hack, a better approach would be de-convolution with a known impulse response of the reverb but that's likely not available in your case. Using Zynaptiq Unveil is certainly the second best option.

well ive been posting my intended approach and mentioned that i have pro Q 3. my post right above yours i kiinda have an idea for what im trying to do. its not just the reverb. the sample sounds like it was recorded in a room instead of directly into an audio interface digitally, so it already sounds distant, plus reverb, so my goal is to make it sound more prominent (the leading melody just underneath the vocals that will be added in the end) so EQ wont really work completely I dont think.. I think i need to add some saturation and play with transients. the sample is a series of multiple brass instrument quick notes, almost like stabs but slower attack, and it already sounds distant, and then in between each hit is some reverb. playing with the transients i think i can shave off some of that reverb and then surgically eq it, add some subtle saturation for more prominent character, and then more eq, bringout the mid range with both stereo bands and m/s bands in pro Q 3...

someone said that AUM has a built in transient shaper but i cannot find it. do you know what its called?

• @pr4y_4_beats said:

@Gravitas said:

>

AUM has one inbuilt

so i just opened up AUM and could not find the transient designer you spoke of. is it actually called transient designer or is it called something else?

I think Gravitas was referring to a gate.

• Can you share one of these samples (maybe on SoundCloud) or in a screen capture uploaded to YouTube?
    Then we can try and remove reverb and bring the sound forward and share our recipes.
    Just one would do…

I think Bark Filer with the TripleBand preset and limiter turned on will bring it forward in a mix.
    FAC Transient can “take the room away” on one of the presets.
    4Pockets “SideBand Remix” is worth checking out too.

• @rs2000 said:

UnVeil is an ad hoc deconvolver, it generates the IR on the fly.
    It analyzes the spectrum of the source and it‘s time relations and can even save the intermediate as an IR for future use.
    Main focus is natural reverb from real spaces, though, certain parts from algorithmic reverbs are deliberately passed, though (according to the documentation).
    According to my experience best results can only be achieved in combination with UnFilter, which captures the room (or any) resonances.

Afaik DeVerberate is based on the same strategy as UnVeil, but doesn‘t distinguish between natural and artificial.

• you should also try
    https://www.sonible.com/proximityeq/
    I had great results with this:)
    ( has a 30 days demo so...)

• also good but not so flexible...
    https://www.accentize.com/deroom-pro/

• @McD said:
    Can you share one of these samples (maybe on SoundCloud) or in a screen capture uploaded to YouTube?
    Then we can try and remove reverb and bring the sound forward and share our recipes.
    Just one would do…

I think Bark Filer with the TripleBand preset and limiter turned on will bring it forward in a mix.

i was looking at both of those apps! its good to know im growing enough in knowledge that im kinda on the same page as others who know what they are doing. yes i will share a clip of the sound hold on

• @jebni said:

@pr4y_4_beats said:

@Gravitas said:

>

AUM has one inbuilt

i hate gates.. i dont understand them well enough and end up with a choppy distorted sound. its because i cant wrap my head around ratios i think. i KINDA maybe understand threshold its the cutoff point. and attack is how quickly the gate shuts release is how slowly it opens again, but ratio throws me off. its the same with compressors. no matter how many copy and pasted infographics i see on instagram about them i just dont get what the ratio does in a compressor...

do you think he meant noise gate or just a regular gate, or both?

• @jebni said:

@pr4y_4_beats said:

@Gravitas said:

>

AUM has one inbuilt

nvm i just re read his post more carefully lol... im even worse at noise gates

• edited June 2022

@pr4y_4_beats said:

i hate gates.. i dont understand them well enough and end up with a choppy distorted sound. its because i cant wrap my head around ratios i think. i KINDA maybe understand threshold its the cutoff point. and attack is how quickly the gate shuts release is how slowly it opens again, but ratio throws me off. its the same with compressors. no matter how many copy and pasted infographics i see on instagram about them i just dont get what the ratio does in a compressor...

@pr4y_4_beats ratio is just how much the sound is turned down (after the sound hits the threshold level). Higher ratio means more gain reduction, lower ratio is less gain reduction. Same for compressors and gates. You can kind of think of ratio as “amount”.

• @maxwellhouser said:

@pr4y_4_beats said:

@pr4y_4_beats ratio is just how much the sound is turned down (after the sound hits the threshold level). Higher ratio means more gain reduction, lower ratio is less gain reduction. Same for compressors and gates. You can kind of think of ratio as “amount”.

ok, thanks! this makes sense!

• @pr4y_4_beats said:

@jebni said:

@pr4y_4_beats said:

@Gravitas said:

>

AUM has one inbuilt

The OP did not mention what app you were using.
    I described the functions you need not the apps.
    If you don't have the apps then that way you can figure it out for yourself.

nvm i just re read his post more carefully lol... im even worse at noise gates

Well, now is a good time to learn about them.

• @Gravitas said:
    To shorten the reverb and bring it closer in the stereo image?

You could also use

you literally gave me three apps with a link to one and a patch for another. i misread your post and thought you said AUM has an inbuilt transient designer. but you did not. you said it has a noise gate, i misread and was looking for "transient designer" in AUM

• heres an upload of the sample im working with

• @Gravitas said:

Well, now is a good time to learn about them.

aaaand why do you think im here lol

• @pr4y_4_beats said:
    heres an upload of the sample im working with

@McD

• @McD said:
    Can you share one of these samples (maybe on SoundCloud) or in a screen capture uploaded to YouTube?
    Just one would do…

heres the sample im working with

• @Telefunky Exactly.
    Thanks for the hint about saving an intermediate IR, I didn't know that! :+1:

• edited June 2022

@pr4y_4_beats Your sample doesn't sound much like it has reverb on it. More like a bit of a short delay. But it's an interesting example anyway, I'm looking forward to hear what people are able to extract from it 😊