Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sitala (drum sampler) coming to iOS / iPadOS, looking for feedback

Comments

• edited June 2022

@scotchi said:

@echoopera said:

Ahh ok. I was importing melodic samples and was hoping for it to slice it up based on n# slices. Is there a reason it requires transients to be present? Is it because it’s designed to support drum samples?

Any chance it will support melodic samples with user defined slices in a future update?

At the moment Sitala is heavily geared towards being a percussion sampler. It's possible we'd do something geared towards being a melodic sampler in the future, but our general feeling is that that should be a separate app, not part of Sitala.

Interesting. Isn’t a sample just a sample until it is used by the musician to make music. Drums can be derived from any sound source.

I think you should support non transient samples which get sliced to a 16 Pad grid and let the musician decide what they want to do with the sound they import. That’s just my personal feeling since i use samples from all manner of places and sources.

You have a nice app. Seems counter intuitive to restrict it to just drum sounds or sounds with present transients. At least let the user create their own Slice marks as an override in the case of melodic sounds so we can Slice to Pads like we do in BeatMaker3 and Koala and Drambo to name a few.

Anyhoo it’s not worth a return considering the price but i just won’t be using it for sample slicing until i can bring in melodic/soundscape style audio tracks. Hope to see this in the future.

I’ll keep following the progress.

Cheers.

• Fwiw all my samples and files are in AudioShare. I don't use cloud services much at all. Backup for certain things mainly. I didn't realize there was no access to AS from this app (haven’t bought it yet, was planning on later in the week or weekend).
    I probably wont even be able to use it really if this is the case.
    Bummed. :neutral:

• @BirbHope said:
    Fwiw all my samples and files are in AudioShare. I don't use cloud services much at all. Backup for certain things mainly. I didn't realize there was no access to AS from this app (haven’t bought it yet, was planning on later in the week or weekend).

You can still import single samples from AudioShare but as AudioShare (And most Storage Provider Extensions based apps such as Readle Documents, DropBox, Google Drive etc.) do not have support for iOS folder permissions file-browsing is not supported because it can't be done without proper granted permissions...

I keep >90% all my samples inside BM3 as it's my main 'sampling workstation'.
    The remaining 10% are in the folders of the apps that created them which are visible to Files.app.
    Some are on iCloud and DropBox...

If you already have apps that do the tings you need them to do things will likely be more than ok :sunglasses:

• @BirbHope said:
    Fwiw all my samples and files are in AudioShare. I don't use cloud services much at all. Backup for certain things mainly. I didn't realize there was no access to AS from this app (haven’t bought it yet, was planning on later in the week or weekend).

Similar situation here, been using AudioShare for so long that this limitation is a roadblock with Sitala. I just started using the desktop version in recent months so it seemed like this would be a logical companion, but for the moment it seems Koala will remain my main bridge between iPad and Mac for sample based projects.

Personally I find iCloud and Files cumbersome and prefer to Airdrop files and projects between devices as needed. Readdle Documents is my go to RAR handler, AudioShare for ZIP files, and Adobe Creative Cloud is convenient when I work with files in Audition. If drag and drop was enabled in Sitala then SampleCrate would be an ideal file management solution and serve as a handy workaround for the missing directory access.

• @j_liljedahl said:

Yes, I will probably scrap it in the future AudioShare 3, and instead rely on the standard iOS Files system. But there need to be backwards compatibility so users can at least move their files from the old location.

@j_liljedahl Just from my quick glance at the API, it also looks like there's no way to get a list of files from AudioShare. Is that correct?

• edited June 2022

@Samu said:

@BirbHope said:

You can still import single samples from AudioShare but as AudioShare (And most Storage Provider Extensions based apps such as Readle Documents, DropBox, Google Drive etc.) do not have support for iOS folder permissions file-browsing is not supported because it can't be done without proper granted permissions...

I keep >90% all my samples inside BM3 as it's my main 'sampling workstation'.
    The remaining 10% are in the folders of the apps that created them which are visible to Files.app.
    Some are on iCloud and DropBox...

If you already have apps that do the tings you need them to do things will likely be more than ok :sunglasses:

I have gigs of drum samples in AudioShare. I don’t use any one program as my main thing yet. New to IOS music and haven't settled into a straightforward workflow. I also work within few genres. But I use samples and audio files to feed granular apps, conventional samplers, drum machines and drum sampler apps like this and EG, Digisticks etc and may use the same collection to feed different apps. So I keep all my audio files in AS as my files app has so much non-music stuff in it. AS just has music stuff.

In any event, if I can browse my drum samples in AS then I will probably favor this app because of the sample browsing innovations. If I can’t then I can’t. I have to admit Im still not clear on this.

Btw speaking of BM3, I havent gotten to deeply into it. I got the impression it was sort of, maybe not abandonware but not being developed much anymore. I have been reluctant to get too involved in apps that may disappear or arent being updated enough to adhere to Apples recent policy. Do you happen to know if the future of the app is reasonably stable?

• Once things cool down a bit today we'll take a look at AudioShare and see what's possible. It sounds like from what @Samu is saying that it won't be possible to get Sitala's file browser working with things in AudioShare, but beyond that, I'm not sure what level of integration will be possible. It'll probably take us a few hours of futzing with things to see what's possible and make some more reasonable comments on such.

We're already putting together a list of minor features and bug-fixes for the next release (which will hopefully be within a couple weeks), so I'll keep folks here in the loop for how AudioShare may fit into that. @luzifer is currently working on the iCloud fixes, and that's one of the high-priority things for the next update.

(In the next update we'll really just be trying to fix bugs and handle things that we missed in this release -- a larger more featureful release will be further down the line.)

• edited June 2022

@scotchi said:
    Once things cool down a bit today we'll take a look at AudioShare and see what's possible. It sounds like from what @Samu is saying that it won't be possible to get Sitala's file browser working with things in AudioShare, but beyond that, I'm not sure what level of integration will be possible. It'll probably take us a few hours of futzing with things to see what's possible and make some more reasonable comments on such.

We're already putting together a list of minor features and bug-fixes for the next release (which will hopefully be within a couple weeks), so I'll keep folks here in the loop for how AudioShare may fit into that. @luzifer is currently working on the iCloud fixes, and that's one of the high-priority things for the next update.

(In the next update we'll really just be trying to fix bugs and handle things that we missed in this release -- a larger more featureful release will be further down the line.)

But if I move all my drum samples to Files I can browse as intended? Tbh I was just surprised and had a reflexive reaction. The feature set and browsing style may be worth it to change my file locations around a bit. At least for drum files.

• @BirbHope said:
    But if I move all my drum samples to Files I can browse as intended? Tbh I was just surprised and had a reflexive reaction. The feature set and browsing style may be worth it to change my file locations around a bit. At least for drum files.

Yep, we can access anything that's available via Files. Right now it sounds like the limiting factor will be on the AudioShare side rather than from Sitala, but @j_liljedahl seemed to indicate that longer-term AudioShare will also be moving in the direction of structuring things in a way that will work with Sitala.

• @scotchi For sample folders with a lot of samples, would it be possible for the sample browser to scroll to the location of the currently-loaded sample, if you're viewing its folder? Or just remember where the viewing window was when you picked the sample? I find myself scrolling down a lot. But even with that, I think it might still be the fastest sampler workflow on iOS.

• I'm finding having files in iCloud as very easy to navigate around using Sitala. Library support for other providers like Readdle Documents and Audioshare would be great but I'd vote for drag and drop as higher for Sample Crate as mentioned.

• edited June 2022

@scotchi do you have a link to this?

• @Spidericemidas said:

@NeuM said:
    Made a quick song in macOS GarageBand using Sitala. A lot of fun! I think I'll be using it for future work. For the sake of speed, I used keyboard typing to trigger sounds.

"R U Bored?"
    ℗ & © All rights reserved.

That’s a nice bit of synth pop 👍

Thanks!

• @Samu said:
    Sitala is finally out for iPhone & iPad! ($4.99)
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sitala/id1605657678

Interesting that the desktop version is still free: https://decomposer.de/sitala/

• @NeuM said:

Interesting that the desktop version is still free: https://decomposer.de/sitala/

Koala for macOS is also free as well including all the extras except AUv3 :sunglasses:

• I’ve always found AudioShare to be a really difficult way of getting files into apps so I’m really surprised to see so many using it. Is it just because you’ve been using it since before the Files app was usable?

• @FastGhost said:
    I’ve always found AudioShare to be a really difficult way of getting files into apps so I’m really surprised to see so many using it. Is it just because you’ve been using it since before the Files app was usable?

I don't care for AudioShare either. The improvements to the Files app eliminates any need for the old methods.

• @auxmux said:
    I'm finding having files in iCloud as very easy to navigate around using Sitala. Library support for other providers like Readdle Documents and Audioshare would be great but I'd vote for drag and drop as higher for Sample Crate as mentioned.

Yes, drag and drop also seems more attainable based on an earlier reply from @scotchi in this thread. SampleCrate is an excellent audio file management solution.

• @scotchi said:

@auxmux said:
    This is an enjoyable app. It's free on desktop, so really good easy to make kits and port them over to the iPad. Modulatable start and end points will be a great addition.

It's worth noting that Sitala kits are self-contained (meaning they contain their constituent samples), so you can easily copy them between platforms. (But they still keep track of where the original samples came from, so you can still browse the original directory in the sample browser if it still exists...)

Do the samples get automatically saved on the auv3 state?

I like my projects self contained

• Yes, samplea get saved in AUM etc. But you can also make kits to use in other sessions or export.

• @cokomairena said:

The links to the sample files are saved not the actual files.
    If you need to save a copy of a samples save the kit first.

• @auxmux said:
    Yes, samplea get saved in AUM etc. But you can also make kits to use in other sessions or export.

@Samu said:

@cokomairena said:

I’m getting mixed answers xD

• @cokomairena said:

I’m getting mixed answers xD

The files are 'linked'. Save a session AUM and remove/delete one of the samples used in the session and it will not show up when you reload the session...

• @cokomairena said:

I like my projects self contained

@Samu is correct. We don't copy the samples into the AUv3 state. We tried that on the desktop years ago, and Logic was the one that dealt with it the worst, so I assume GarageBand would have similar problems. It seemed to make a copy of the samples in the state for every single save, eventually leading to project files that were multiple gigabytes and long freezes when saving.

• @FastGhost said:
    I’ve always found AudioShare to be a really difficult way of getting files into apps so I’m really surprised to see so many using it. Is it just because you’ve been using it since before the Files app was usable?

Old habits die hard sometimes I guess. I’ve been using AudioShare since it first came out, and I still use a couple of older 32 bit devices that can’t be updated. Aside from those factors I also find Files cumbersome compared to other file management apps, like Readdle Documents. AudioShare also replaces Voice Memos and serves as a field recorder for me, and works seamlessly with AUM which I also use for recording audio.

Since SampleCrate has come along it’s my main audio file manager with apps that support drag and drop, because the preview is smoother than with Files and the crate system is very handy for kit building. I also don’t need to move my AudioShare Files content to iCloud or an On My iPad directory.

Since I use other premium cloud storage services iCloud is an unnecessary expense, unless I take the tedious route of curating which files are backed up on a frequent basis (which becomes an unnecessary time expense).

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

Also, sessions in MTS from iOS to desktop aren’t retaining the Sitala kit/patch setting. It resets to the default 808 kit when opening the iPad MTS project on desktop MTS. Drambo as an auv3 for instance, does retain the patch/preset across platforms. The kit/patch/preset used in Sitala is on both the desktop on iOS versions.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

Also, sessions in MTS from iOS to desktop aren’t retaining the Sitala kit/patch setting. It resets to the default 808 kit when opening the iPad MTS project on desktop MTS. Drambo as an auv3 for instance, does retain the patch/preset across platforms. The kit/patch/preset used in Sitala is on both the desktop on iOS versions.

Our desktop app needs a small update to allow opening projects created on iOS ... This will follow soon

• @CapnWillie said:

Audioshare is and will likely remain a vary valuable app for many people.

No doubt but it needs some dev love and care to stay 'up-to-date' with the features the OS provides :sunglasses:

Fileprovider Extensions (all of them, Drop Box, Google Drive, Readdle Documents etc.) have some limitations when it comes to sharing and linking files and folders with other apps.

Single file access is ok but complete folder access is a BIG no-no and will likely remain so...
    ...I would not be at all surprised if File Provider Extensions will deprecate say within 2 years or so...

Time will tell where things go...

• Excited to try this one out over the weekend, been looking forward to it coming to iOS. It’ll be nice to have a simple, straight forward drum sampler. I’ve only ever heard good things about the desktop version.

• @luzifer said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

Our desktop app needs a small update to allow opening projects created on iOS ... This will follow soon

Thanks 🙏

Also, How can I get the Ableton to Sitala kit converter?