Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sitala (drum sampler) coming to iOS / iPadOS, looking for feedback

Comments

• edited June 2022

+1 for loading samples from outside without having to import.
    I’ve also been looking for one in AU that has the feature set yours has and allows previewing the sample without loading it (or importing it). If EG Pulse did this, Im not sure I would notice the competition.
    For me these are the main things.

But in addition, I would compare your feature requests against what EG and Digisticks offer, pick the ones they lack that are the most doable and add them.
    If not then quick, intuitive, comfy workflow seems to make up for feature limitations. See Koala.
    Also, since you’re doing the slicing, if you could generate a midi file of the transients for easy use in a host I think people would like that.

• @BirbHope said:

No need to import here :sunglasses:

The files are really 'linked' once you've granted the permission to a folder where the samples are...
    ...It also remembers the recently used folders so populating pads becomes quite easy.

The only time a copy of the samples is made is when you share a kit.

If you know you'll be browsing the same folder for multiple pads, copy the pad to another pad location and keep on swiping.
    (ie. set the location on pad 1, copy it and then you can paste it to the empty pads).

So for example if a pad uses a sample in a 'Kick Folder' swipe left/right will load the previous/next sample in the folder.

What makes Sitala unique is the sample-linking and the quick per pad knobs to really alter the sound (Shape, Tuning, Tone, Compressor). It's also got support for AUv3 Multi-out (16 channels enabled in the Settings > Audio Output).

I'm quite sure there will be more dedicated threads later on...

Cheers!

• @Samu said:

@BirbHope said:

No need to import here :sunglasses:

The files are really 'linked' once you've granted the permission to a folder where the samples are...
    ...It also remembers the recently used folders so populating pads becomes quite easy.

The only time a copy of the samples is made is when you share a kit.

If you know you'll be browsing the same folder for multiple pads, copy the pad to another pad location and keep on swiping.
    (ie. set the location on pad 1, copy it and then you can paste it to the empty pads).

So for example if a pad uses a sample in a 'Kick Folder' swipe left/right will load the previous/next sample in the folder.

What makes Sitala unique is the sample-linking and the quick per pad knobs to really alter the sound (Shape, Tuning, Tone, Compressor). It's also got support for AUv3 Multi-out (16 channels enabled in the Settings > Audio Output).

I'm quite sure there will be more dedicated threads later on...

Cheers!

The swiping happens at the pad level? Like using the left/right arrows in many synth preset browsers? But swiping? On the pad?

Sorcery.

• Looks nice! Does this have note repeat?

• edited June 2022

@BirbHope said:

The swiping happens at the pad level? Like using the left/right arrows in many synth preset browsers? But swiping? On the pad?

Sorcery.

It's actually on the sample view, not on the pad. But yeah, other than that, spot on. Would it actually be desirable to have it on the pad? Seems like things might get tricky with mis-clicks.

• edited June 2022

@scotchi said:

@BirbHope said:

Sorcery.

It's actually on the sample view, not on the pad. But yeah, other than that, spot on. Would it actually be desirable to have it on the pad? Seems like things might get tricky with mis-clicks.

Actually I cant say it would necessarily be desirable or preferable. I just thought it sounded quite fancy :smile:
    Any easy way to preview samples without loading them first (a frustrating limitation of EG Pulse); basically the way BM3 does it IIRC, but as an AU, would be enough to make it an instabuy for me - based on what I’ve seen so far.
    But what you and Samu describe with the swiping makes it even more desirable than it already sounds.

Im hyped.

• @scotchi said:

Any easy way to preview samples without loading them first (a frustrating limitation of EG Pulse); basically the way BM3 does it IIRC, but as an AU, would be enough to make it an instabuy for me - based on what I’ve seen so far.

Yeah, Sitala has a built-in sample browser, and you can scroll between the sounds in a directory by swiping left and right on the sample view. You can kind of get a feel for that around the 5-second mark here:

• @scotchi said:

@scotchi said:

Yeah, Sitala has a built-in sample browser, and you can scroll between the sounds in a directory by swiping left and right on the sample view. You can kind of get a feel for that around the 5-second mark here:

Woah. :smile:
    So you are swiping on the black sample window? Whatever the case, it’s clearly righteous - i could see it changing in the pad. Thats comfy af.

• @BirbHope said:
    So you are swiping on the black sample window? Whatever the case, it’s clearly righteous - i could see it changing in the pad. Thats comfy af.

Yep, exactly. And then cycles through the samples in that directory. You can also bring up the full sample browser (without using the iOS open dialog) -- so there's basically two modes of poking through things.

• I’m wondering if I need this since I already have Koala?

• Are there a bunch of premade kits?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Are there a bunch of premade kits?

It comes with an 808 kit pre-installed but there are a bunch of good kits available for free and paid. Occasionally we share good ones that were sent to us on twitter: https://twitter.com/decomposermusic

• @Stuntman_mike said:
    I’m wondering if I need this since I already have Koala?

Me too. I like that we can cycle thru kit presets (without it being a ‘song’) and swipe a pad to cycle thru samples within a folder, but it’s almost like battery compared to maschine. I still think it’s a great addition to iOS, just maybe a touch late. I’m experimenting with sequencing it’s samples with atom as the trigger in AUM

• I really wish this had note repeat, and that it could send the note repeat midi out to Atom 2 (unlike koala which is self contained)

• Great to see Sitala on the iPad! Good luck with this release!

For those interested, last year I created a free kit for the desktop version, here are the direct download link and the demo video.

• This is an enjoyable app. It's free on desktop, so really good easy to make kits and port them over to the iPad. Modulatable start and end points will be a great addition.

• Multiple samples, velocity layers and round robin
    AUv3 Multi Output

• @nerVe said:
    Multiple samples, velocity layers and round robin
    AUv3 Multi Output

Sitala has multi out 👍🏼

• @auxmux said:
    This is an enjoyable app. It's free on desktop, so really good easy to make kits and port them over to the iPad. Modulatable start and end points will be a great addition.

It's worth noting that Sitala kits are self-contained (meaning they contain their constituent samples), so you can easily copy them between platforms. (But they still keep track of where the original samples came from, so you can still browse the original directory in the sample browser if it still exists...)

• I like Sitala's browsing system, and how the pad is named for the sample. That will be very useful.

• @Stuntman_mike said:
    I’m wondering if I need this since I already have Koala?

If the enhanced browsing (which is already pretty good in Koala) isn't a factor, then, as others have pointed out, Sitala has the multi-out. If neither of those are worth it to you then it may not be a must-have.

• @Skyblazer said:
    I like Sitala's browsing system, and how the pad is named for the sample. That will be very useful.

Indeed, very useful! Curiously quite a few iOS samplers, drum samplers or others, don't have it.

• edited June 2022

So far it seems I can only grant access to iCloud and On My iPad directories, and the file picker is a bit finicky. There doesn’t appear to be a preview before importing either. Hopefully this is addressed in an update soon.

• edited June 2022

It doesn’t support split screen or drag and drop either, which would both be nice to have. At the moment it feels like this app is still in beta.

• edited June 2022

@luzifer: liking the simplicity of this, and the auto naming of pads by sample selected. It would be very helpful if you could ask @brambos to add your default pad assignments to his Rozeta XOX sequencer drum kit template list, or at least align your settings to one of those already there, or allow users to set their own assignments within your app and save it as a template there. Apologies if there is a way to do this already somehow and I just missed it. ***Update: ok, found the pad edit dialog. Is this General MIDI layout? (In which case there is already an XOX layout for it.)

Also: direct access to the AudioShare directory from your Browser dialogs please. At present, as noted above, I can only access ICloud and the On My IPad app list, AudioShare shows up but is not selectable from the ‘Browse Sample’ main dialog, though it is accessible from the small sample button bottom right. Slightly confusing…

On the wish list: one stop arrange a single sample pitched across all pads. More obvious slice to pads option.

• How do you Slice to Pads with this? It’s disabled in the contextual menu of Sample:

• Looks dope. Funny @Samu we just talked about this…

Does it take several audio formats, ie Wav, mp3, m4a, aiff, ? that’s pretty important.

I gotta +1 @Jeezs comments all of those are ideal.

Is there a beta I’d be happy to help if needed.

• @echoopera said:
    How do you Slice to Pads with this? It’s disabled in the contextual menu of Sample:

You just drop in a sample with multiple transients, and it should automatically detect that it can be sliced.

• Does Sitala support looping of samples? Like, a sample will loop as long as I hold the pad down?