Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Request new Mozaic Scripts *HERE*

Comments

• The "NooDLeR" is an excellent stimulus for Mozaic implementations. I remember seeing it when it was announced and marketed thinking many of the ideas could be scripted.

If there are already implementations please link to the them here so no one re-invents an existing "clone" of a NooDLeR wheel.

There are also great desktop plug-ins that have video demos that might provide inspiration for IP theft in a Mozaic script that is free and gets a handful of downloads and then is never used even by the creator.

• @_ki said:
    @belldu How to output Mozaucs floats with one or two decimal of fractions can be found in this section of the Mozaic Scripting Tips & Tricks wiki page.

Awesome, exactly what I was looking for.
    So for completeness and for posterity, here is the Mozaic code to convert MIDI CC to db for usage with AUMs -inf to +6db scale:

// Convert MIDI CC to -inf -> 6b
    // set _ccValue and _currentKnob vars before using this code
    _amplitude = pow (_ccValue / 127) * 1.4142135623730951, 2
    _dbLevel = 20 * (log10 _amplitude)

n = Round Abs(_dbLevel * 10)
    f = Div n, 10
    r = (n-f*10) % 10

if _ccValue = 0
      LabelKnob _currentKnob, {-inf}
    else
      if _dbLevel >=0
        LabelKnob _currentKnob, {+},f,{.},r
      else
        LabelKnob _currentKnob, {-},f,{.},r
      endif
    endif

• edited May 2022

@McD said:
    If there's a video demo of any Max for Live devices or other hardware products that would inspire a script please share a link here.

Make a "Press Your Luck" game with the pad layout that constantly changing random stuff is displayed on the pads while your sequence is playing..... when you press on a pad, if you get a whammy, it just plays a god awful fill out of time, tempo, and key...

• Hello everyone!
    This is my first time here, and I came because I have a MIDI “problem” that needs fixing, and Riley, who created the amazing Jambo controller for Drambo, suggested to come here for help! So here I am! :smile:

Here is the background for a start:

I have to take over all the synths/drum machine duties in my electro/afrobeat band, but I'll still have to play guitar and sing. I'll go the Drambo route, because it's awesome, and try to have most of the commands at my feet.
    Pattern switching works fine by MIDI learn, and while I imagine I won't have much trouble mapping the crossfade to a MIDI expression pedal by MIDI learn as well, I cannot find a way to change scenes incrementally with pedal buttons. You can select a specific scene with a button but that’s it.
    I'm imagining a pair of +/- buttons for the left side, and another pair for the right.

I have zero experience at coding, and I just got Mozaic, but do you guys think that a script could be made for changing Drambo scenes incrementally this way, with MIDI notes or CC buttons?

If anybody wants to make a script like that, it would make my life a lot easier! If not, I guess I’ll have to learn how to code :smile:

Thanks a lot!

• wimwim
    edited May 2022

@AdamL said:
    Hello everyone!
    This is my first time here, and I came because I have a MIDI “problem” that needs fixing, and Riley, who created the amazing Jambo controller for Drambo, suggested to come here for help! So here I am! :smile:

I have to take over all the synths/drum machine duties in my electro/afrobeat band, but I'll still have to play guitar and sing. I'll go the Drambo route, because it's awesome, and try to have most of the commands at my feet.
    Pattern switching works fine by MIDI learn, and while I imagine I won't have much trouble mapping the crossfade to a MIDI expression pedal by MIDI learn as well, I cannot find a way to change scenes incrementally with pedal buttons. You can select a specific scene with a button but that’s it.
    I'm imagining a pair of +/- buttons for the left side, and another pair for the right.

I have zero experience at coding, and I just got Mozaic, but do you guys think that a script could be made for changing Drambo scenes incrementally this way, with MIDI notes or CC buttons?

If anybody wants to make a script like that, it would make my life a lot easier! If not, I guess I’ll have to learn how to code :smile:

Thanks a lot!

[edit] - pls ignore all this below. I didn't research scene selection well enough, in particular how to map midi messages to individual scenes. I'm not sure it's possible to do that other than to switch between the two scenes to the left and right of the slider. How to accomplish incremental scene changing via MIDI needs to be understood first before assuming a Mozaic script could be used to translate foot switch messages to the needed MIDI messages.

As far as I know, Drambo doesn't have any midi-mappable function for next or previous scene, it only has mappings to each scene button. So, your only recourse is to have a script that increments up or down a list of midi messages which are midi mapped to the scenes. That's doable, but will get confused if you change scenes on-screen, and probably between sessions.

For instance, a script could cycle cycle through midi notes [C1, C#1, D1, D#1, E1, F1, F#1, G1, G#1, A1, A#1, B1, C2, C#2, D2, D#2] when you press foot switch B. You'd have to assume Drambo is on scene A to start. The first press of switch B would send C#1 which would be mapped to scene B. The next press would send D1, which would be mapped to scene C, etc.. Foot switch button A could be used to decrement though those messages/scenes.

So far, so good. But, there's no way for the script to know which scene Drambo is on. So, let's say you started up on scene G rather than on scene A. Pressing switch B the first time would still switch you to scene B. Basically, any time the script doesn't know what scene Drambo is actually on, things will get out of whack.

If you can live with that, and assure things will never get out of sync, then such a script is easy enough. But it doesn't seem like a real robust solution for live work. Too many things that can go wrong.

It could be possible to have your scenes send some kind of midi message to let the script know what scene they're on. But I think the transport would have to be running for that to work.

• @wim said:

@AdamL said:
    Hello everyone!

Thanks a lot!

As far as I know, Drambo doesn't have any midi-mappable function for next or previous scene, it only has mappings to each scene button. So, your only recourse is to have a script that increments up or down a list of midi messages which are midi mapped to the scenes. That's doable, but will get confused if you change scenes on-screen, and probably between sessions.

For instance, a script could cycle cycle through midi notes [C1, C#1, D1, D#1, E1, F1, F#1, G1, G#1, A1, A#1, B1, C2, C#2, D2, D#2] when you press foot switch B. You'd have to assume Drambo is on scene A to start. The first press of switch B would send C#1 which would be mapped to scene B. The next press would send D1, which would be mapped to scene C, etc.. Foot switch button A could be used to decrement though those messages/scenes.

So far, so good. But, there's no way for the script to know which scene Drambo is on. So, let's say you started up on scene G rather than on scene A. Pressing switch B the first time would still switch you to scene B. Basically, any time the script doesn't know what scene Drambo is actually on, things will get out of whack.

If you can live with that, and assure things will never get out of sync, then such a script is easy enough. But it doesn't seem like a real robust solution for live work. Too many things that can go wrong.

It could be possible to have your scenes send some kind of midi message to let the script know what scene they're on. But I think the transport would have to be running for that to work.

I intend to start every project with scene A on the left and B on the right, so if the script is reset everytime I open a new project, then things should be fine (as long as I don’t change scenes directly on screen!)
    That’s a limitation I could totally live with if it’s the only solution!

• wimwim
    edited May 2022

@AdamL said:

I intend to start every project with scene A on the left and B on the right, so if the script is reset everytime I open a new project, then things should be fine (as long as I don’t change scenes directly on screen!)

I edited my post above. There may be more problems than that. I didn't do enough investigation before writing. I'm not sure there's a way to map midi to select individual scenes other than the two buttons to the left and right of the slider.

It has to be determined first if midi can even do scene selection. If it can’t then Mozaic will be of no help. You might want to ask this over on the Beepstreet forum, or at least on the Drambo 2.0 thread here.

Are you sure you need to use scenes rather than patterns + p-locks for this? Does it have to be Drambo, and not, say, something like Loopy Pro using audio clips instead?

• @AdamL said:

Ahh, I finally figured out how to select scenes by midi. So this seems doable.

But, when you say you want to increment through the scenes, that means changing the scene that’s in the left or right button. Which do you want to change?

Ideally, describe exactly what you want to happen each time you tap a switch, or switches.

• edited May 2022

@McD said:

@auxmux said:
    Also, definitely recommend checking out that max for live devices documentation, lots of neat ideas that would be perfect for Mozaic.

If there's a video demo of any Max for Live devices or other hardware products that would inspire a script please share a link here.

Also check out MXL Random in that doc, it creates amazing musical results. Basically, it drops incoming notes based on some probability criteria and shifts notes in a defined range to create more melodic patterns.

• @wim said:

@AdamL said:

But, when you say you want to increment through the scenes, that means changing the scene that’s in the left or right button. Which do you want to change?

Ideally, describe exactly what you want to happen each time you tap a switch, or switches.

OK nice!

What I would want is 4 buttons:
    -next scene on left side
    -previous scene on left side
    -next scene on right side
    -previous scene on right side

The ABSOLUTE best :smile: , for space saving, would be to combine things on 2 buttons instead of 4:
    -short press: next scene on left side, long press: previous scene on left side
    -short press: next scene on right side, long press: previous scene on right side
    But I don’t know if that would be possible, except maybe for having a programmable controller like Morningstar MC6

Thanks for the help!

• edited May 2022

@AdamL
    Thanks for the use case, gotta think about it...

• @wim said:

@AdamL said:

I edited my post above. There may be more problems than that. I didn't do enough investigation before writing. I'm not sure there's a way to map midi to select individual scenes other than the two buttons to the left and right of the slider.

It has to be determined first if midi can even do scene selection. If it can’t then Mozaic will be of no help. You might want to ask this over on the Beepstreet forum, or at least on the Drambo 2.0 thread here.

Are you sure you need to use scenes rather than patterns + p-locks for this? Does it have to be Drambo, and not, say, something like Loopy Pro using audio clips instead?

I use Loopy pro for another project, where the songs are well defined and always played the same, so I can launch a pre made backing track, with all the filter sweeps and fx sends at the right places, and I play my instrumental parts on top of this. But for this afrobeat project, it’s a lot more “elastic”, as there are tons of improvised bits, and the lengths are not fixed. I need to be able to, for example, open the filter of a synth while increasing the decay of the hats played by Ruismaker Noir, while sending a little bit of stuff into the reverb and slightly distorting the drums, so I can follow the horn soloist when he’s going nuts, and give him a little extra energy push. :smiley: To me, the Drambo scenes are perfect for that, since I can do all that with one single fader!

• @AdamL said:

@wim said:

@AdamL said:

OK nice!

-next scene on left side

The ABSOLUTE best :smile: , for space saving, would be to combine things on 2 buttons instead of 4:
    -short press: next scene on right side, long press: previous scene on right side
    But I don’t know if that would be possible, except maybe for having a programmable controller like Morningstar MC6

Thanks for the help!

I can make it detect short vs. long press so only two buttons are needed.

When the increment goes past top or bottom scene, should it wrap, or just do nothing. In other words, if you've reached scene P and press the next scene button, should it stay on P or go back to A?

Do you know the midi messages your foot switch sends for the buttons you want to use?

• @wim said:

@AdamL said:

@wim said:

@AdamL said:

OK nice!

-next scene on left side

Thanks for the help!

When the increment goes past top or bottom scene, should it wrap, or just do nothing. In other words, if you've reached scene P and press the next scene button, should it stay on P or go back to A?

Do you know the midi messages your foot switch sends for the buttons you want to use?

Wow amazing!

The midi messages could be literally anything, but let’s put the 2 lowest possible midi notes on channel 16…

Thanks, this is really really cool!

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Welcome @AdamL

Thanks! :)

• @AdamL said:

@wim said:

@AdamL said:

@wim said:

@AdamL said:

OK nice!

-next scene on left side

Thanks for the help!

Wow amazing!

The midi messages could be literally anything, but let’s put the 2 lowest possible midi notes on channel 16…

Let's see if I actually make it work before thanks are due. ;)

What about the question about the behavior when incrementing goes past the first or last scene?

• @wim said:

@AdamL said:

@wim said:

@AdamL said:

@wim said:

@AdamL said:

OK nice!

-next scene on left side

Thanks for the help!

Wow amazing!

What about the question about the behavior when incrementing goes past the first or last scene?

Haha ok… Thanks for trying at least!
    Let it stick to P. I doubt I will ever go this far up…

• @AdamL said:

@wim said:

@AdamL said:

@wim said:

@AdamL said:

@wim said:

@AdamL said:

OK nice!

-next scene on left side

Thanks for the help!

Wow amazing!

OK, so if you're on scene P it'll ignore "up" switch presses, and if you're on scene A it'll ignore "down" switch presses.

• @wim said:

@AdamL said:

@wim said:

@AdamL said:

@wim said:

@AdamL said:

@wim said:

@AdamL said:

OK nice!

-next scene on left side

Thanks for the help!

Wow amazing!

OK, so if you're on scene P it'll ignore "up" switch presses, and if you're on scene A it'll ignore "down" switch presses.

That sounds good to me…

• @AdamL said:

@wim said:

@AdamL said:

I use Loopy pro for another project, where the songs are well defined and always played the same, so I can launch a pre made backing track, with all the filter sweeps and fx sends at the right places, and I play my instrumental parts on top of this. But for this afrobeat project, it’s a lot more “elastic”, as there are tons of improvised bits, and the lengths are not fixed. I need to be able to, for example, open the filter of a synth while increasing the decay of the hats played by Ruismaker Noir, while sending a little bit of stuff into the reverb and slightly distorting the drums, so I can follow the horn soloist when he’s going nuts, and give him a little extra energy push. :smiley: To me, the Drambo scenes are perfect for that, since I can do all that with one single fader!

I’m doing something similar to you and have vacillated between Drambo scenes and Loopy Pro follow actions (which act as scenes). For your use case, I think Drambo most easily does the job based on your description. But I’m pretty sure you can do it in LP too with follow actions and midi parameter automation. To me, I’m opting for LP because i like the flexibility of creating my own layouts vs the grid scene UI in Drambo and i do some live looping s as well.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@AdamL said:

@wim said:

@AdamL said:

I’m doing something similar to you and have vacillated between Drambo scenes and Loopy Pro follow actions (which act as scenes). For your use case, I think Drambo most easily does the job based on your description. But I’m pretty sure you can do it in LP too with follow actions and midi parameter automation. To me, I’m opting for LP because i like the flexibility of creating my own layouts vs the grid scene UI in Drambo and i do some live looping s as well.

Interesting! How do you deal with midi sequencing in LP?

• @AdamL said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@AdamL said:

@wim said:

@AdamL said:

Interesting! How do you deal with midi sequencing in LP?

I use several AU MIDI solutions (LK, Riffer, zoa, Atom2, etc). I basically use the sequencer that best does the job in front of me. I’ve grown quite fond of Riffer since it can break me out of monotonous loops; I lock a few notes or chords that i want to be always played and then let the randomizer fill in the accents. Closest thing to a live musician that I’ve found. Anyway, I did mock up my setup in Drambo and it was super easy with the clip launcher but I lost too much of the custom interface that I like in LP. My next experiment is to run Drambo inside LP.

• _ki_ki
    edited May 2022

@McD My Mischa Interval Keys variant still needs some more development time. I‘m not yet happy with the usage experience :)

The script is currently targeted at live play of intervals, as it doesn’t offer a sequencer. My initial concept on how to enable chords didn‘t work well, so i‘m still investigating. But i don‘t have enough spare time to really play for longer periods. The script advances in baby steps, but the main features are done, there are still some glitches though.

I already came up with different melodies than on the standard keyboard, but nothing as elaborate as in your demos.

• @_ki said:
    @McD My Mischa Interval Keys variant still needs some more development time. I‘m not yet happy with the usage experience :)

The script is currently targeted at live play of intervals, as it doesn’t offer a sequencer. My initial concept on how to enable chords didn‘t work well, so i‘m still investigating. But i don‘t have enough spare time to really play for longer periods. The script advances in baby steps, but the main features are done, there are still some glitches though.

I already came up with different melodies than on the standard keyboard, but nothing as elaborate as in your demos.

I’m sure I have fun learning to use it.

• @_ki said:

I hope this one reaches fruition!

• Hi all,
    New to Mozaic. Is it possible to create something like this using Mozaic? Not sure whether I can achieve this using scaler 2.

• That app has a very rich User Interface and Mozaic provides 5 fixed User Interface layouts:

0: Mix: 4 trigger pads, 10 knobs and an XY pad
    1: Knobs: 22 knobs
    2: Pads: 16 trigger pads and 4 knobs
    3: Sliders: 10 sliders and an XY Pad (sliders are treated in scripts as if they are knobs) 4: Minimal: 4 knobs and a description text box

Notice that none of them provide a keyboard layout like this app which has 2 keyboards to interact with.
    Some scripts force the 16 Pad layout into a keyboard design to get around this limitation.

This app would be better cloned using a more sophisticated programming tool like Swift or the Xcode environment with a C language and a complex set of graphics libraries. But there are ideas demo’ed that
    Might stimulate someone to make a cool Mozaic script for playing melodies or bass lines over chords.
    There might be one already written available on patchstorage. @_Ki’s cooking up something with a keyboard
    Interface (using Pads).

• edited June 2022

Love that bum note over the second chord in the demo…
    The trick to this stuff is using passing notes that make sense in the context of the chosen chord. The interface itself can be pretty simple. I wrote a script that constrained the input from one MIDI channel to custom scales built on the combination of any notes coming in from up to three other MIDI channels. I didn’t even have to work out the root of the chord, the method I used just worked in a pleasingly musical way.

• heshes
    edited June 2022

@McD said:
    That app has a very rich User Interface and Mozaic provides 5 fixed User Interface layouts:

Notice that none of them provide a keyboard layout like this app which has 2 keyboards to interact with.
    Some scripts force the 16 Pad layout into a keyboard design to get around this limitation.

This app would be better cloned using a more sophisticated programming tool like Swift or the Xcode environment with a C language and a complex set of graphics libraries. But there are ideas demo’ed that

Might stimulate someone to make a cool Mozaic script for playing melodies or bass lines over chords.

It looks to me like the two one-octave keyboards on Chordism are mostly just for informational purposes. Would not be hard to replicate that information in slightly different form, and use an external physical controller or software keyboard to actually play notes.

I agree, yes, this could lead to interesting Mozaic setup to enable a new way of playing melodies over chords.

There are definitely ways to implement similar functionality in Mozaic without an identical UI. Potentially even integrating some actual chord generating app with its own interface that already has rich functionality (like Tonality, Navichord, etc.) and using Mozaic mostly just to set the scale and offset of the keyboard being used for the melody.