Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A Pack O' Kools

You're tearing me apart!

Comments

• Many layers of great feels in this. What made the female choir parts? And how much is live instrument(s)?

• Sounds amazing Paul!

• Energetic!

• Slammin' deep in the groove. Nice work.

• @Proppa said:
    Many layers of great feels in this. What made the female choir parts? And how much is live instrument(s)?

I put this together a little at a time over several weeks, so I am going by memory. I don't think I have ever finished a song in one sitting! I love the assembly process and I find it to be very relaxing after a long day at work. Only a few more years!

I believe the female vocals were a combination of Pipa or Sopranotron, and maybe some voice samples. The female 'voice' in the beginning is, I think, something from a Blocs Wave pack. There is actually no 'live' playing. I like to use the MIDI editor in Cubasis. I usually punch in something, then try it out with various synths until I find something I like. When I have something with possibility, I 'Freeze' the track, turning it into audio. I have found that I can have a lot more tracks that way. MIDI driven synths and effects seem to really bog down the CPU, so I just render everything out to audio. I can always come back later and make adjustments.

Everything is made up of small blocks of audio, Some I make myself, and some that I buy. There is also a ton of free stuff out there. I just signed up with a site called Looperman. They have some stuff that sounds like it will be fun. I might actually try doing some rap! I'm an old white guy, so that should be... interesting!

Thanks for listening and commenting!

• @Edward_Alexander @Svetlovska @McD Thank you for listening and your comments! Have a great weekend!

• Great sounding and very nicely varied, as always.

• Trying to catch up on listening. I’ve been in my own head too long. As always this is unique and creative and accessible all at the same time. Actually more laid back than I am used to hearing from you. Very enjoyable.

• @JudasZimmerman said:
    Great sounding and very nicely varied, as always.

I think the variety is probably just due to my short attention span. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for listening!

• @boomer said:
    Trying to catch up on listening. I’ve been in my own head too long. As always this is unique and creative and accessible all at the same time. Actually more laid back than I am used to hearing from you. Very enjoyable.

So much music. So little time. I feel your pain, bro. Laid back? I must be slipping! I'll see what I can to to remedy that. Thank you very much!

• edited May 2022

That opening beat really grabs you and each part builds interest throughout. Your tracks make me think of great instrumentalists like Art of Noise but with modern sound and production. I’ll echo what @boomer said. So unique and creative.

• @Paulieworld said:

@Proppa said:
    Many layers of great feels in this. What made the female choir parts? And how much is live instrument(s)?

I put this together a little at a time over several weeks, so I am going by memory. I don't think I have ever finished a song in one sitting! I love the assembly process and I find it to be very relaxing after a long day at work. Only a few more years!

I believe the female vocals were a combination of Pipa or Sopranotron, and maybe some voice samples. The female 'voice' in the beginning is, I think, something from a Blocs Wave pack. There is actually no 'live' playing. I like to use the MIDI editor in Cubasis. I usually punch in something, then try it out with various synths until I find something I like. When I have something with possibility, I 'Freeze' the track, turning it into audio. I have found that I can have a lot more tracks that way. MIDI driven synths and effects seem to really bog down the CPU, so I just render everything out to audio. I can always come back later and make adjustments.

Everything is made up of small blocks of audio, Some I make myself, and some that I buy. There is also a ton of free stuff out there. I just signed up with a site called Looperman. They have some stuff that sounds like it will be fun. I might actually try doing some rap! I'm an old white guy, so that should be... interesting!

Thanks for listening and commenting!

No live instruments? Wow!
    Really impressive work.

• @MadeofWax said:
    That opening beat really grabs you and each part builds interest throughout. Your tracks make me think of great instrumentalists like Art of Noise but with modern sound and production. I’ll echo what @boomer said. So unique and creative.

Thank you Mac! If you get a chance, please check out my latest post. I decided to try my hand at rap music. I don't really like that genre, but once I got started it was sort of fun. It's called 'On My Own Terms'. It' pure evil!

• Holy! That underbelly of this thing; it is something thick and gooey and bubbling, no?And the transitions and structure is engaging. I felt a bit like I was walking late night in some unknown city. Very hot track!

BTW, what does A Pack o' Kools mean?

• @spyrogaia said:
    Holy! That underbelly of this thing; it is something thick and gooey and bubbling, no?And the transitions and structure is engaging. I felt a bit like I was walking late night in some unknown city. Very hot track!

BTW, what does A Pack o' Kools mean?

Kools are a brand of cigarette. They were popular among the juvenile delinquents that I knew in high school. The government is talking about banning them, and I just happened to be thinking of that at the time. I'm glad you enjoyed the track. Thanks for listening and commenting!

• I still don’t understand how the heck you do these tracks but please carry on… the guitar break at 2:30 was great.

• @GeoTony said:
    I still don’t understand how the heck you do these tracks but please carry on… the guitar break at 2:30 was great.

I don't really know, either. I just stumbled into the workflow while trying to find a way to get more tracks in a song. Thanks!

• You had me at the title.

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    You had me at the title.

Titles are usually an afterthought. For whatever reason I was thinking about menthol cigs at the time. I thought of the 'greasers' I knew in high school with their Kools rolled up in their T-shirt sleeves. I thought of James Dean. I don't know if he smoked Kools, but he was cool. He also made some really good sausage. (just kidding)