Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Hippocampo-cortical Coordination Through REM Sleep Patterns (part 1)

More piano using the wonderful Pianoteq; this time the Pleyel 1926 model.
As before, I begin using my iPad. In this case the Mozaic script Clusters by Bryan Appel. This script has many parameters to tweak to generate a stream of midi notes in all sorts of ways that come out as you play the keyboard. I recorded this with Midi Tape Recorder. I also added some random noodling that I recorded with LoopBud. Then using Xequence to edit things down to a manageable size and export it to my desktop for detail work and use Pianoteq which lets me pick various piano models and also edit and modify them.

Comments

• I almost skipped this thinking it was a thread on insomnia. Glad I didn’t. So you play a note and it generates a stream of others? The piano sounds good. Not metallic as is so often complained about.
    A little more explanation would be helpful. I enjoyed it.

• Very interesting. This type of music is a bit more challenging to me personally; I don't know what to expect so to say. I kept waiting for the tablas to kick in :)

• @LinearLineman said:
    I almost skipped this thinking it was a thread on insomnia. Glad I didn’t. So you play a note and it generates a stream of others? The piano sounds good. Not metallic as is so often complained about.
    A little more explanation would be helpful. I enjoyed it.

Thanks for listening! Clusters is like a kind of fire hose of notes that you can spray with varying density and focus. When you play a note it “clusters” around that note. At the extreme it’s like a Jackson Pollock of notes but it can be tamed down. With midi editing I combed through to find areas that had some sense to me and then, for example, in one case, I shaved off the end of a cluster and held chords of the ending notes. That sort of thing. Also removed or elongated notes. But I mixed in some of my own improvised playing.
    Also I’ve been getting more involved with Pianoteq parameters and wanted to show some of the different piano models that come with it. You can change things really subtly. I liked the old fashioned piano sound of the Pleyel for this kind of “impressionism”.

@JudasZimmerman said:
    Very interesting. This type of music is a bit more challenging to me personally; I don't know what to expect so to say. I kept waiting for the tablas to kick in :)

Thanks for your attention. Ha! I thought I'd try something kind of anti-beat for a change. It all reminded me of how in sleep sometimes vague unassociated images can solidify into what seems like a coherent story.

• I like ‘anti-beat’… This is almost in an alternative universe to most of the pieces posted (including mine) which tend to be far more complex / rhythmic / louder etc. Enjoyed it a lot.

• I liked this a lot. Would this work with an existing MIDI track in Cubasis? If so, I am thinking it would be fun to do a small ensemble arrangement with multiple instruments. I have been interested in Mozaic ever since I heard a demo by @McD. I am always looking for new ideas and this sounds really intriguing!

• edited June 2022

@GeoTony said:
    I like ‘anti-beat’… This is almost in an alternative universe to most of the pieces posted (including mine) which tend to be far more complex / rhythmic / louder etc. Enjoyed it a lot.

@GeoTony, your music is always an inspiration for me.

@Paulieworld said:
    I liked this a lot. Would this work with an existing MIDI track in Cubasis? If so, I am thinking it would be fun to do a small ensemble arrangement with multiple instruments. I have been interested in Mozaic ever since I heard a demo by @McD. I am always looking for new ideas and this sounds really intriguing!

Thanks to you both for listening. Be forewarned, I've got another rambling anti-beat in the works. Yet, I love rhythm and been thinking about how beats get you into a trance but maybe the anti-beats are when you're in a trance already.

Yes, if you want to experiment with all kinds of ways to use midi, Mozaic is essential. It would be great to hear what you come up with.

• McDMcD
    edited June 2022

I had to check out Bryan Apple’s Cluster script. It’s what I hoped it might be. 2 channels of MIDI with 1 being the notes you play and 2 being the extra clusters that the script adds. Lot’s of controls over note length, number of notes and so forth… I like a strong percussive lead with something gentle to follow like a dreamy harp or pan flute.

There’s a desktop app that calls this idea Swarms. Picking the right apps is key to the magic.

The Cluster script has "Presets" and flipping through them I found the type of
    Clustering/Swarming I was hoping for.

Nice project @Stochastically.

• @McD said:
    Nice project

Thanks, @McD! I'm glad it helped you discover Clusters. I'll be looking forward to where you might go with it. Lately I'm trying out various ways of using your Misha. The addition of recording the snippets is helpful.

• @Stochastically said:

@McD said:
    Nice project

Thanks, @McD! I'm glad it helped you discover Clusters. I'll be looking forward to where you might go with it. Lately I'm trying out various ways of using your Misha. The addition of recording the snippets is helpful.

It’s nice to get feedback on these Mozaic experiments. @Alfred’s fork of “Meesha” called “SamChillin” adds touch
    Features and some other interesting tweaks.

@Alfred mentioned in a PM that he wants a script with 16 pages of Pad triggered MIDI snippets… so I took off in that direction. I created a script that can record the steps (up to 1024 steps per page) and play them back on PAD touch. I stopped at 4 pages. Going to 16 would involve copy junks of code and remaining variables with internet extension. Then I though it would be great to record the input like a tape machine and started working on that variation. I discovered I can save incoming and replay up to 256 MIDI events per pad.

• @Stochastically Hi, it was your demo track with Jazz Guitar using meesha wich got my attention. It is realy magical what @McD is doing with his experimental composer scripts.
    So I jumped in to make this a joined effort. The relative key system used by Misha was invented by Leon Gruenbaum in the nineties. His instrument is called Samchillian, that is why I renamed the project.

https://patchstorage.com/samchillian/

Anyone who has a MiniLab2 keyboard should try the latest Aum demo project, wich corrects the previous one.

• Hey, thanks @Alfred! Yes, I think the way notes are played creates some unexpected new ideas. It can take me out of my usual playing patterns. I just realized you have a new update of Samchillian so I’m going to try that next. I don’t have a MiniLab but I’ll see if my Nektar works.
    Thanks for your other great Mozaic scripts.