Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

getting roadmap loopy stuff in cubasis and changing tempo there

I’m a big fan of the immediacy that a self-made set-up in Loopy Pro allows you. You’re free to put in all the things/controls you need and can play everything you need from there in an immediate/intuitive/real-time way. For me there’s nothing like it.
There’s a lot of great stuff on the roadmap, but I find myself looking for ways to work around some of the stuff that is not there yet. Tried a lot of things, but today I came across what I think is a promising set-up that I wanted to share here.

I’ve set up 3 Loopy AUs in Cubasis 3 (I started playing in standalone with 3 loops, saved the project to the AU folder, opened that project 3 times in Cubasis and then in every one always deleted two other loops). Then I set up a Xequence pads AU in Audiobus, which allows me to slide over on Cubasis and MIDI-learn all 3 loops in the Loopy AUs to from 3 pads in the Xequence AU. I can now play the 3 loops from one contoller (Xequence pads/gives the immediacy/you can also set-up CC-controllers from there) and have the loops on three different tracks (allowing to side-chain between them, allowing to use Cubasis automation system for the effects you insert on the tracks).
You can also record and play back the MIDI/your performance. I find the sequencer in Loopy still somewhat uneasy to use.

For fun I set up the fourth track to send MIDI notes to control two tempo presets in AUM (in the background), which allows to change the tempo of the track. IOS music is all workarounds and modularity..

Tell me what you think about it. Maybe there are simpler ways..

Comments

• For fun I set up the fourth track to send MIDI notes to control two tempo presets in AUM (in the background), which allows to change the tempo of the track. IOS music is all workarounds and modularity..

I don't think you need AUM here since if you enable Ableton Link in both Loopy and Cubasis, you can control the tempo directly in Loopy and Cubasis should follow. I think you may be able to send the midi notes directly to Loopy to change the tempo there.

• @wim said:

For fun I set up the fourth track to send MIDI notes to control two tempo presets in AUM (in the background), which allows to change the tempo of the track. IOS music is all workarounds and modularity..

I don't think you need AUM here since if you enable Ableton Link in both Loopy and Cubasis, you can control the tempo directly in Loopy and Cubasis should follow. I think you may be able to send the midi notes directly to Loopy to change the tempo there.

Thank you! I will try. I thought you couldn’t control the tempo from within a Loopy AU with Cubasis as host.

• @prtr_jan said:

@wim said:

Thank you! I will try. I thought you couldn’t control the tempo from within a Loopy AU with Cubasis as host.

Yep. Disable host sync and enable Link in Loopy AU. Enable Link in Cubasis. 👍

• edited June 2022

@wim said:

@prtr_jan said:

@wim said:

Yep. Disable host sync and enable Link in Loopy AU. Enable Link in Cubasis. 👍

That seems to work! But I need some more fiddling around to do experimenting what is and what is not possible with the different loopy instances having different synchronization settings (they seem to interact).

edit: I just need to enable link (with start/stop) in all instances

Thanks again for the tip, much simpler!

• Pretty efficient