Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Lazarus

The story begins with an irregular heartbeat...

Comments

• Really fun mixture here. It starts with a bang takes a interesting journey.

• Definitely like the sound design in this. You always seem to find the perfect vocal parts to add that extra bit of something magical.

• Just some album encouragement….

• @McD said:
    Really fun mixture here. It starts with a bang takes a interesting journey.

Did you hear the noise gates?

• @MadeofWax said:
    Definitely like the sound design in this. You always seem to find the perfect vocal parts to add that extra bit of something magical.

Thanks Mac! There is a story behind this one!

• @LinearLineman I'm thinking about it. Can I use this graphic? It's Yabai!

• edited June 2022

@Paulieworld said:

@MadeofWax said:
    Definitely like the sound design in this. You always seem to find the perfect vocal parts to add that extra bit of something magical.

Yes. Something about an irregular heartbeat. Do go on... don't leave me in suspense.

• edited June 2022

@Paulieworld absolutely you can use it. If you want any changes, or additional text, let me know. The image is royalty free, btw.
    👍👍😎🙏

• @LinearLineman said:
    @Paulieworld absolutely you can use it. If you want any changes, or additional text, let me know. The image is royalty free, btw.
    👍👍😎🙏

Royalty Free! I'm an 'Open Source' Linux guy. It's perfect as-is. Thank you!

• @Paulieworld said:

@McD said:

Sorry. I'm not sure what rhythmic aspect I should attribute to a noise gate. can you share a timeline pointer to the effect? Do you own the @brambos "Perforator" app. It applies rhythmic gates that can create punched out holes in the audio or do that fast glitching
    machine gun effect. Is you use the "machine gun" sound at 1:08 and again at 2:36 and 3:45?

I remember @bedheadproducer punching holes in a Cubasis audio track manually to get a similar sound.

What tool did you use for the gate?

• @Paulieworld it’s 1400x1400 pixels.

• @MadeofWax said:

@Paulieworld said:

@MadeofWax said:

Yes. Something about an irregular heartbeat. Do go on... don't leave me in suspense.

When I was very young, I read about Lazarus in Sunday School. I was conflicted and asked my mom about it. She said 'You just have to trust in your faith and believe', so I did. However, I had seen and smelled a few dead cats and racoons, and knew that flesh decayed very quickly. I couldn't understand how 150 pounds of decomposing corpse could just suddenly be brought back to life... just like that. There had to be an explanation. There had to be! Jesus knew that Lazarus had died and He wept. Why did He do that when He could have prevented it from happening in the first place? That is the question that has puzzled me. I tried to imagine what it would have been like to be in the tomb as the process took place. As Jesus drew closer and closer, Lazarus responded. I have wondered if this was incredibly horrific, or ecstatic. I imagined that it took place in three separate stages. First, the heart started beating, then fists clenched and the fluids started coursing through the veins, and finally the eyes snapped wide open when He said 'Lazarus... come forth!'

I know that it's not currently cool or fashionable to subscribe to such beliefs. However, I have known two people that have had the after-death experience, and have described it to me in detail. I believe them.

• @McD said:

@Paulieworld said:

@McD said:

Sorry. I'm not sure what rhythmic aspect I should attribute to a noise gate. can you share a timeline pointer to the effect? Do you own the @brambos "Perforator" app. It applies rhythmic gates that can create punched out holes in the audio or do that fast glitching
    machine gun effect. Is you use the "machine gun" sound at 1:08 and again at 2:36 and 3:45?

I remember @bedheadproducer punching holes in a Cubasis audio track manually to get a similar sound.

What tool did you use for the gate?

I used the default noise gate in the Cubasis Channel Strip. It just takes the R part of ADSR and makes it go away faster than you would normally expect. It works very well when there is too much reverb in a sample. It just makes things seem a bit cleaner. The machine gun thing is just a standard 'stutter' effect that you hear all the time in popular music. Basically just 'scratching'. Yes, I have 'Perforator, but I don't think it plays nice, so I don't use it... yet. Maybe I'll find a good use for it one day.

• What is fashionable to believe shouldn't matter. And regardless of my beliefs or lack thereof, I respect people who believe in something and am grateful for people in my life who don't necessarily have the same beliefs I do. We all bring our own life's experience to the table.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @Paulieworld it’s 1400x1400 pixels.

That is what I usually use for my graphics. I try to find an image that that fits the song, then I scale it proportionally so the minimum dimension is 1405. Then I cut it and paste it into a 1400 x 1400 image. That prevents any white lines from showing on any of the edges. I snag images from Yandex and other similar sites. If it's copyrighted, I will wait for their lawyers to contact me. So far, so good!

• @MadeofWax said:
    What is fashionable to believe shouldn't matter. And regardless of my beliefs or lack thereof, I respect people who believe in something and am grateful for people in my life who don't necessarily have the same beliefs I do. We all bring our own life's experience to the table.

Exactly. Treat everyone as you would like to be treated. We may differ on some things, but let's talk about it over a bottle of wine. I have some really good wine! Joy to the world.

• edited June 2022

Takes on the Lazarus story I alway pondered… what if his life force/soul/vril/whatever returned, but the physical decay continued, condemned to experience all the agonies of fleshy decay without the release of death? What if, having died once, he could never die again, condemned always to roam the earth eternally, moving on each time merely mortal friends, neighbours and lovers became suspicious, his ‘gift’ the experiencing of an eternity of endless loss and regret? What if he aged as normal, but never died, eventually becoming a spirit trapped in an impossibly aged and withered husk of flesh? What if having glimpsed the afterlife and being wrenched from it he could never again reconcile to mundane reality, an aching meaning-destroying nostalgia for the glimpse of the hereafter rendering earthly existence worthless? And so on… (full disclosure: I am an atheist, but I do like a good story.)

• @Svetlovska said:
    Takes on the Lazarus story I alway pondered… what if his life force/soul/vril/whatever returned, but the physical decay continued, condemned to experience all the agonies of fleshy decay without the release of death? What if, having died once, he could never die again, condemned always to roam the earth eternally, moving on each time merely mortal friends, neighbours and lovers became suspicious, his ‘gift’ the experiencing of an eternity of endless loss and regret? What if he aged as normal, but never died, eventually becoming a spirit trapped in an impossibly aged and withered husk of flesh? What if having glimpsed the afterlife and being wrenched from it he could never reconcile to mundane reality, an aching meaning-destroying nostalgia for the glimpse of the hereafter rendering earthly existence worthless? And so on… (full disclosure: I am an atheist, but I do like a good story.)

I like a good story, too. However, I have lived in true darkness since January 25, 2004, when our two teenage boys, 11 and 15, James Daniel and Joseph John, were killed by a drunk driver. I wanted to kill myself and everyone else within arms reach. I actually made plans to do that. I know that it is fashionable and cool to be dark and ambient, but I would never wish our experiences on any living soul. No parent should ever have to gaze down on the dead bodies of their beautiful children as we have. I'm sorry if this pisses you off, but I pray that you never experience real darkness. It is only my faith in something beyond our understanding that keeps me relatively sane. In the meantime, I make something resembling music.

• edited June 2022

@Paulieworld : obviously I had no idea of the real tragedy you have had to deal with, and there is nothing in the above thread to suggest otherwise. I won’t presume to offer you the empty sophistries of internet sympathy. I merely, and sincerely, hope your faith has offered you some comfort.

As I have no faith, the various tragedies of my own life I have encountered thus far have had to be confronted without comfort of any sort. I do find some solace however in embracing the dark, in my music and writing, small rehearsals for the inevitable loss of everything we all must face eventually. My personal credo, for what it is worth, is that life, moment to moment, can be wonderful. And life is loss. The paradox of human existence.

• @Paulieworld , I can't begin to imagine how hard it has been. For me to even think about that kind of loss...words can't describe. I'm grateful that your faith has been able to get you through it.
    We never really know how much other people are dealing with. So often we only see the highlights of people's lives. The parts they feel like they can share. I know some people say we wouldn't appreciate the good without the bad, it just seems to me the scales are so frequently imbalanced.
    I'm glad you have shared so much of your music and some of the details of your life. Your friendship means a great deal to me.
    Take care Paul.

• edited June 2022

I actually do believe in god… a nonexistent one. I often pray to my nonexistent god and I must admit, it has been very kind to me throughout my life. Always a door seems to open or an “angel” appears when there is no apparent rescue.

I should say that I do not come to this place without having investigated deism. I spent four years traveling to Jerusalem to attempt to affiliate myself to Orthodox Judaism. I pursued god in my own Jewish backyard, out of gratitude for a privileged life. But the end result, for me was “uh-uh”, no evidence of a personal god and judge.

From my POV, there needn’t be an all encompassing personalized deity in charge of the whole shebang, meting out judgement on our every move and taking a personal interest in our more than minuscule existences.

That doesn’t mean, however, that there aren’t a ton of “spiritual” things going on for us, even within our own collective minds. I immediately think of the work of Dr. Maseru Emoto’s work with water. I’m sure many of you are cognizant of this groundbreaking work that is fully scientific and demonstrates how water reacts to thoughts and feelings. If not, here’s a clip to get you started…

@Paulieworld, your tragedy is incalculable and mind boggling. In this world where the common and misguided trope is “I can’t imagine what the parents are going through”, it is time TO imagine what this is like., not distance ourselves from tragic realities with a threadbare rationale..

It’s our refusal TO imagine horrors that keeps us in the disingenuous state of denial which saccharinely smears “Gosh, I’m so sorry” and quietly thinks “This won’t happen to me”.

Wasn’t it Orwell who pointed out “Do it to her! Don’t do it to me!” as the meanest common denominator most of us whimper when faced with the excruciating? It’s time we realize it IS happening to us. All of it. Because if it isn’t happening this moment it eventually will. But, more importantly, when it happens to our brothers and sisters we cannot exclude ourselves from that collective experience of being a frail being who erects imaginary, egoistic, walls to hold back forces beyond our control and separates of from real understanding of what and who we are.

I fully support your faith, Paul. I see no contradiction with my own beliefs. They are but different facets of the same crystal. God bless, my friend.

• A lovely piece about my all time favorite zombie.
    Nice work.

• Powerful and very well made.

• @Paulieworld Of course, there are no words. I too would want to burn the world down.

Whenever I see the word Lazarus I have to listen the fantastic Bruce Haack’s ‘Stand up Lazarus’! Sublime.