Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drum synth that lets you play chromatically?

Does anyone know of a drum synth that lets you play the individual drums chromatically? For example, I like making bassline melodies with bass drum sounds so would like something that allows me to do that by playing them in via the onscreen keyboard or sequencing them. I have FAC Drumkit, which lets me tune bass drums but to make a melody I'd have to use multiple bassdrums and tune them individually (I think).

I know I can do this in a sampler but it only works well if I know the original pitch of the sample, so would rather use something synthesized.

Comments

• You could use a VA synth that has drum presets , maybe someone else could recommend an AU synth (Drambo)

• I just stumbled upon SynthDrum Kick 4+, which seems to do the job. Pretty cheap too! I have Drambo but haven't figured out how to do this yet. The AN Kick module in Drambo sounds nice but doesn't seem to respond chromatically.

• @dprc8t said:
    I just stumbled upon SynthDrum Kick 4+, which seems to do the job. Pretty cheap too! I have Drambo but haven't figured out how to do this yet. The AN Kick module in Drambo sounds nice but doesn't seem to respond chromatically.

Have you tried connecting the AN Kick's tune/pitch to the midi-note input and increasing the modulation amount?
    (Tap on the AN Kicks's Tune and connect it to the note icon in the Midi 2 CV module and increase depth to max).

Another option is to record the output from AN Kick to the FlexiSampler and well, you get the idea...

• You can also 'abuse' Drambo's AN Kick module to create drone-type textures or go totally bonkers like this...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/o21gk7b0zf0nmvs/ankick.mp4?dl=0

• @Samu said:
    You can also 'abuse' Drambo's AN Kick module to create drone-type textures or go totally bonkers like this...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/o21gk7b0zf0nmvs/ankick.mp4?dl=0

This looks like good fun! Going to try this later Thanks for the tip on connecting it to the midi note input as well.

• @dprc8t said:
    Does anyone know of a drum synth that lets you play the individual drums chromatically? For example, I like making bassline melodies with bass drum sounds so would like something that allows me to do that by playing them in via the onscreen keyboard or sequencing them. I have FAC Drumkit, which lets me tune bass drums but to make a melody I'd have to use multiple bassdrums and tune them individually (I think).

I know I can do this in a sampler but it only works well if I know the original pitch of the sample, so would rather use something synthesized.

Elastic Drums

• Synth drum kick and ChowKick can both do this I think. You could also use something like sEGments. Also 808 synth from audio kit.

• wimwim
    edited June 2022

@dprc8t said:

Even if it's synthesized, you don't know the original pitch with most drum synths. They all have a tune (frequency) knob, and also usually have a "drop" amount and speed. All of these contribute to the perceived "pitch" of the kick.

• Sample drum sounds into AudioLayer and it can pitch shift according to your settings (across some note or velocity range). Ideally, a drum sound with a strong pitch element that AudioLayer detects will save a lot of work assigning keys automatically. It seeks a root tone in any sample as an option on import.

• Fractal Bits does, but it’s not a traditional drum synth.

Koala lets you play any sample loaded chromatically

Apps like Digistix 2 and hammerhead have a pitch change per step in the sequencer.

• @dprc8t said:
    I have FAC Drumkit, which lets me tune bass drums but to make a melody I'd have to use multiple bassdrums and tune them individually (I think).

Not 100% what you want but you can still get something via MIDI CC and Pitch Modulation.

Here a snapshot of the documentation:

And here more explanation:

For example, you can use Polybeat sequencer to send MIDI CC to the specific voice where you want to alter the pitch or use maybe a MIDI script to transform notes to MIDI CC? In your case you will probably use the modulation on the whole env, but sometimes it's better to only choose one point and play with it. For example, you alter the body and keep the transient points fixed or with a different values.

Hope it helps :)