Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

First spin with KQ Sampei: To Cemetery Station

edited June 2022 in Creations

Also a first(ish - well, third, actually) spin with accompanying visuals. I do need help. (Oh, in so many ways!) - but see below…

True story: The London Necropolis Railway was a railway line opened in November 1854 by the London Necropolis Company (LNC), to carry corpses and mourners between London and the LNC's newly opened Brookwood Cemetery 23 miles (37 km) southwest of London in Brookwood, Surrey, at the time the largest cemetery in the world. Cemetery Station, featured in the video, was literally the end of the line. Corpses needed their own ticket, and could travel First, Second, or Third Class…

I made this using only SoundFonts inside several instances of KQ Sampei, mostly pitched way out of their ‘normal’ ranges. Even the train noise was a SoundFont. Great things…

… the help is that I am still seeking quick and dirty ways to create visuals so I can legitimately put my stuff on YouTube rather than SoundCloud. I need a minimal effort/semi automated way to overlay some kind of reactive motion on a single static image. To be frank, the laser light show/kaleidoscope thing as seen here is not ideal… what works best, I think, are ‘environmental’ effects such as ‘rain’, ‘snow’, etc, changes in lighting, and ‘video glitch’ type stuff. What would be even better would be an automatic ‘rostrum camera’ effect that could pan automatically over a large image, in the way those Ken Burns Civil War docs made old photos interesting…

I have glitch studio, Staella (used here) Lumavision, Luma FX and a few others, but what would be really cool would be a way of queuing up a sequence of effects and fades and whatnot which could be collectively applied as a template over a static or moving image, without much more in input from me. Can VS (which I have) do this ? Or anything else available on IOS. Basically, I want to slap a series of filters on visuals as easily as I can slap fx on noises in AUM. A forlorn hope?

UPDATE: this software for Windows, no longer available, apparently, is exactly what I had in mind for the rostrum camera idea:

“Rostrum Camera is a unique tool for making video sequences from still images (.bmp, .gif, .jpeg). You can use a single, large image and select a start and finish point. The program will then create series of Windows bitmap files (one for each video frame), that can then be converted into a movie file (.avi) using the included BMP to AVI utility. The result is a video file that pans across the image, creating a panoramic effect.”

I’d add to that the ability to define paths, to fade, and to zoom in and out. This is probably not too difficult for a programmer (says the non programmer) and it would be fantastically useful, as indeed Ken Burns has proved, “…embedding still photographs in motion pictures, displayed with slow zooming and panning effects, and fading transitions between frames.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Burns_effect

I wonder if @sinosoidal might be interested in developing something along these lines?

Comments

• This is awesome, great stuff! How are you liking the app so far? Probably gonna buy it this weekend.

Unfortunately I can’t help on the visual side, but I’m following to find out that information myself haha.

• @HotStrange : yes, Sampei is great for my needs, less faff handling presets than BS16i, which I was using before, and a big step up in user friendliness over the horrible preset handling of the otherwise excellent KQ Dixie. Also reminded me how many good SoundFonts are out there.

• @Svetlovska said:
    @HotStrange : yes, Sampei is great for my needs, less faff handling presets than BS16i, which I was using before, and a big step up in user friendliness over the horrible preset handling of the otherwise excellent KQ Dixie. Also reminded me how many good SoundFonts are out there.

Thanks! I’m excited to try it. I like bs-16 a lot and I imagine I’ll still use it, but it’s always great to have another tool in the shed. Especially if it’s a better quality tool.

• Cannot be of any help for the visual... But will follow as I am also interested in the kind of thing you're looking for.
    The track's atmosphere is really great,. When I pressed play, I was expecting something a lot darker according to the background story. Sounds like a corpse traveling in first class to me 😉

Awesome work, as usual ! Keep them coming!

• @Svetlovska I like this a lot. Very soothing considering the back story. Question…. Are you wanting to go away from SC? Do you prefer YouTube more? Just curious.

• @JanKun : thank you! I’ll do me best!…

@onerez : re moving away from SoundCloud: partly. I’ve filled up my free allocation, which means I have to go pro or delete old material if I want to keep uploading there. Good discipline, and might even encourage me to assemble some more albums, but still a tough call which of my older kids to sacrifice to make way for the new breed…

YouTube is unlimited, so that’s one motivation. I’m also taking baby steps with video, but I also quite like the idea of making much longer long form generative ambient, possibly also using my modular, which lends itself to YouTube more than SoundCloud, I think. Making the vids is currently taking exponentially longer than the music though, so we’ll see…

• iMovie has some Ken Burns stuff, and is free.

Hyperspektiv is an iPhone app that work on iPad, and adds some amazing glitchy digital effects to photos and video.

• @mistercharlie said:
    iMovie has some Ken Burns stuff, and is free.

Hyperspektiv is an iPhone app that work on iPad, and adds some amazing glitchy digital effects to photos and video.

I was going to mention Hyperspektiv!!! I use it all the time. I have emailed them to see if we could get same features on ipad but did not hear anything.

• @onerez said:

@mistercharlie said:
    iMovie has some Ken Burns stuff, and is free.

I was going to mention Hyperspektiv!!! I use it all the time. I have emailed them to see if we could get same features on ipad but did not hear anything.

Well heck. Now it works on my iPad……. Move along. Nothing to see here.

• @mistercharlie : hey, thanks for the tip! That I think only applies to the Mac version of iMovie, though? and I’m trying to do it all on iPad (at least I can’t find it in iOS iMovie, anyway). I can probably do it with some kind of complicated key frame thing in LumaFusion too, but I was hoping for a quick, idiot proof effect I could just mess with.

Also, thanks to you and @onerez both for mentioning Hyperspektiv, it looks cool but… I never, ever do subscriptions for anything no matter how cool, and the purchase price is way too high for my casual use, so I’ll be passing on that.

• edited June 2022

Update: well I think Glitch Art Studio might be just what I’m looking for. The ‘Pro’ one time unlock for £8.99 gets you absolutely shedloads of filters which you can mess with to the nth degree. Hope to have something using it up on YouTube shortly.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/glitch-art-studio-cam-effects/id1434795782

• Touchviz I find is great and since you already have Luma you could create sections and glue them together. I also use Visualsynth which again you could import sections into Luma then layer them on top of each other using masing techniques.