Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

McD's Mozaic sequencer off the cuff demo

I really enjoyed using your new script @McD, here’s a demo using it with just a jazz guitar. It starts with just that, then I added midiGATES to cut down the notes. Also, out of the blue, I figured out a use for Bleass Slow Machine for detuning the guitar; then finally sent it all through Shimmer. I also used the Mozaic velocity randomizer with your script.. I hope you keep working on it; it’s a great idea to port that to Mozaic.

Comments

• McDMcD
    edited May 2022

@Stochastically - Thank you for sharing a work that used the Mozaic script. Script author's rarely get to hear their creations put to use by forum members so I value this feedback.

For the causal reader: This Mozaic script is inspired by the Eventide "Misha" hardware sequencer. Several Moziac developers had the same reaction to the Misha demo video.
    @_Ki is finishing up a script with his ideas.

You can download the script from here:

https://patchstorage.com/meesha-interval-pads-with-step-sequencer/#comment-5146

and watch the Misha hardware demo here:

The Moziac GUI looks like this - ("Repeat" acts like the 0 button on the Misha)

The Root 4th 5th 6th pads are useful for left hand drones underneath right hand melodies. Holding PADS sustains and multiple PADS can be active to produce some nicely voiced chord structures. It takes some getting used to but acts unlike any other MID controller keyboard I've used on an iPad/iPhone device. I'd like to see it as an option in more apps. "

"-4 to +4 pads"

There's also a step sequencer capability behind the RECORD / PLAY Pads.
    Rest inserts a rest into a RECORDING SEQUENCE.

And now the question of the day... can you do this in Drambo? Show me!

• I made a video of a live jam using 3 Mozaic "Meesha" scripts:

• That is freaking impressive @McD ! I will have to investigate this script.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    That is freaking impressive @McD ! I will have to investigate this script.

Thanks. I find the intervals greater than +/- 1 produce nice open chords.

• I was thinking about the suggestion to have incoming notes change the "root" and the initial issue is hanging notes... you get hanging notes galore by using the Transpose knob and I think I'll swap it out for a volume knob to be able to fade in/out sequences in a performance.

An easy update would be for the root to be modified by the "Root, 4th, 5th, 6th" pads.

@_Ki is exceptional at predicting hanging note flaws and fixing them before he shares his scripts.

• @McD Best way to overcome hanging notes in that kind of script is to store the issued note per pad and on pad release just send the note-of for the stored note. Do not try to recalc the issued note (for a pad) from the settings. As you already experienced, these may have changed between pad-down and pad-up.

Impressive demo btw :)

• @_ki said:
    @McD Best way to overcome hanging notes in that kind of script is to store the issued note per pad and on pad release just send the note-of for the stored note. Do not try to recalc the issued note (for a pad) from the settings. As you already experienced, these may have changed between pad-down and pad-up.

I will do that. Makes sense.

I have implemented the change to knob 3 to change Volume and it's very useful to mix
    multiple instances and do fade in fade outs. I have uploaded version 1.3 to patchstorage.
    @_Ki: Do you leave multiple versions in place on patchstorage or just expose the last version.

Impressive demo btw :)

Thanks. The scale based design allows you to just focus on rhythms and it makes cool chords and melodies. Making a sequencer that is more like a recording than a step recorder is a nice challenge.

• I usually just update the patchstarage script with the latest version and add an ‚update‘ comment with the things changed. I also add the version number to the filename (before upload), so it doesn‘t overwrite previous versions in Mozaic itself.

• I added an Update (v1.4) that saves the state of the current instance.

As a best practice for multi-instance use I recommend saving each of them after getting nice Step Sequences that fit well together. BUT save them with unique names like Meesha1, Meesha2 and Meesha3 so each saves and does not overwrite the others sequence data.

• edited May 2022

Nice stuff @McD I have been playing with your code. My main addition is key velocity and swing. Also took care of some bugs. Decided to create a branch or a fork or whatever, and rename it SamChillian.

• @Alfred said:
    Nice stuff @McD I have been playing with your code. My main addition is key velocity and swing. Also took care of some bugs. Decided to create a branch or a fork or whatever, and rename it SamChillian.

Wow, that just blew my mind.

• @lukesleepwalker Yes a supercool invention by Leon Gruenbaum. I encountered the Samchillian years ago when researching midi software for computer keyboards.
    Indeed mindblowing.

• @Alfred said:
    @lukesleepwalker Yes a supercool invention by Leon Gruenbaum. I encountered the Samchillian years ago when researching midi software for computer keyboards.
    Indeed mindblowing.

Thanks for sharing that. I bet i could create something similar with two sensel morph pads—and Bluetooth to boot!

• Any 25 key midi keyboard should do once some keymapping is in place. Imagine a microFreak playing through this plugin.

• This blew my mind.. love the progressions, mate.

@McD said:
    I made a video of a live jam using 3 Mozaic "Meesha" scripts:

• @McD said:
    I made a video of a live jam using 3 Mozaic "Meesha" scripts:

I went outside this afternoon to start a new project. Before getting started, I checked into the forum to see what was going on and I found this. I need to know, in great detail, how you did this. It's extremely good. I have a of of experience with scripting languages such as Perl and PHP. My heads spins with possibilities. Don't spare any details!

• Excellent. I will give your script a ride and maybe do a demo.

I was not aware of the "Samchillian" hardware... my inspriration was the pending Eventide
    Misha sequencer and controller. I like the upper row of +1 steps and lower row of -1 steps.

• McDMcD
    edited May 2022

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Alfred said:
    @lukesleepwalker Yes a supercool invention by Leon Gruenbaum. I encountered the Samchillian years ago when researching midi software for computer keyboards.
    Indeed mindblowing.

Thanks for sharing that. I bet i could create something similar with two sensel morph pads—and Bluetooth to boot!

FYI: AUM exposes the Mozaic knobs and Pads so you can "MIDI Learn" inputs to any combination of controllers that AUM detects and is routed to it's MIDI Control matrix. I mapped the knobs and a scale on my Arturia MK II. There's a bug related to Knob 1 (which the code calls Knob 0... since programmers think of the number as a offset from from starting point: hence 0 is root).

Not sure if the bug is Arturia's, AUM's or Mozaic... all the other knobs on the Arturia can be mapped without the bug.

• @gothamoddisee said:
    This blew my mind.. love the progressions, mate.

Thanks. I will admit that this key layout takes me outside of music theory and I just
    seek interesting sounds and learn some key patterns that sound cool. The enforced scales
    make the music modal and I tried to force some music history into the results with the "Root, 4th, 5th, 6th" pads. They can make bass pedals and work best in their own instance
    with a good bass target... maybe even taken down 12 semi-tones in AUM.

So the "progressions" might come from me pushing the voice leading into traditional patterns as an real time editor but breaking the connection to the 12-step keyboard is
    freeing for me because the ability to predict the resulting note is challenged unless I just press +/- 1's and run the scale to some target stopping note.

Using BPM =20 and turning up the Length knob can make some useful ambient washes with the right targets... like the amazing @Spidericemidas "Continua" presets or Nave synth or your favorite moody synth.

• Did you try shift + pad 2 on the arturia minilab 2?
    The standard setup uses a relative midi cc on knob 1.

• @Paulieworld said:
    I went outside this afternoon to start a new project. Before getting started, I checked into the forum to see what was going on and I found this. I need to know, in great detail, how you did this. It's extremely good. I have a of of experience with scripting languages such as Perl and PHP. My heads spins with possibilities. Don't spare any details!

I created an AUM config (which I could make available via patchstorage I think) and started practicing music making in AUM. After a few hours, I make a screen recording using some of my key take aways... like pad combinations that make nice chords and such.

I'm sure the interface will resonate with you and you'll make something that comes from your inner architect. Short taps produce staccato and for step sequences there's a length Knob #4 to run from staccato to reverb-is blended "pedal down" chords.

If you want Mozaic coding details I could start another teaching thread to build a similar script that uses easy to understand concepts like pad labels, knob labels and event processing for both. I had a teaching thread that ran its course of enthusiasm and launched a couple scripters who just took off and never looked back.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/36604/learn-to-program-the-mozaic-workshop-to-create-midi-fx-and-controllers-you-could-learn-something/p1

• @McD said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Alfred said:
    Indeed mindblowing.

FYI: AUM exposes the Mozaic knobs and Pads so you can "MIDI Learn" inputs to any combination of controllers that AUM detects and is routed to it's MIDI Control matrix. I mapped the knobs and a scale on my Arturia MK II. There's a bug related to Knob 1 (which the code calls Knob 0... since programmers think of the number as a offset from from starting point: hence 0 is root).

Not sure if the bug is Arturia's, AUM's or Mozaic... all the other knobs on the Arturia can be mapped without the bug.

Yeah, I’m gonna hook up a controller and MIDI learn it all!

• McDMcD
    edited May 2022

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Yeah, I’m gonna hook up a controller and MIDI learn it all!

Please let me know if Knob 1 doesn't sweep from "1 to 12" PPQN settings.
    For me it just toggles between 5-6. I expanded the range in the code to 1-127 and it toggles from 63-64.

People can also map piano keys to the pads and use your 8 fingers to the
    -1 to -4 (left hand) on C-F and +1 to +4 to the right hand to G-C. Using a octave
    space between is allowed too or any space interval. I do find using 3 fingers set over the -1/+1 split point to be very effect for arpeggio runs. Anyone that has piano chops can twiddle those 3 fingers really fast and impress their friends with some sweeping runs up and down the keys.

• Doing the Google thing I can see that Leon worked with the Eventide team on the Misha hardware implementation. I'd expect there are some demo's of his mastery out there or coming when the hardware ships. He's integrated his knowledge of music theory with the
    intervalic patterns and can improvise with the same skills as a pianist (at least for single not runs) I haven't seen him mining the chord possibilities yet and that may not be a feature of the Misha either.

• I have created an Update (v1.5) that allows you to save sequences (up to 14 per instance).
    To save a sequence use the SHIFT button and select any of the available (Yellow) pads 1-14.
    Pads 15 and 16 are for PLAY and RECORD requests.

https://patchstorage.com/meesha-interval-pads-with-step-sequencer/

• @Alfred said:
    Did you try shift + pad 2 on the arturia minilab 2?
    The standard setup uses a relative midi cc on knob 1.

Thanks. I did not know that... it's good to know it's "user error" and not
    AUM, Mozaic or the Arturia Minipad 2. User Errors can be fixed by users.

• @McD @lukesleepwalker ,
    I have updated Samchillian to version 1.2.

New are the keybindings for the MiniLab2 keyboard. For other 25 key keyboards shift two octaves down to find suitable keys.

The algorithm for finding the right notes has been updated.
    Now key and scale changes are possible for the sequenced notes.
    Modwheel recording has been added.

• @Alfred said:
    @McD @lukesleepwalker ,
    I have updated Samchillian to version 1.2.

New are the keybindings for the MiniLab2 keyboard. For other 25 key keyboards shift two octaves down to find suitable keys.

The algorithm for finding the right notes has been updated.
    Now key and scale changes are possible for the sequenced notes.
    Modwheel recording has been added.

wheeeee, this great fun! nice additions, thanks for your excellent script (and McD's foundation, of course).

• @Alfred Very cool :) I just downloaded the latest v1.2 aum-session and happily played around with it.

Before my implementation i didn‘t even look on how the real Meesha keyboard behaves, just tried around with idea of interval playing via pads and started to devlop own idea how several pad presses at one (for chords) could work.

Therefore, it is not surprising that our script variants play slightly differently regarding chords, while beeing similar for melody input :)

On both your and McDs script, the root, 4th,5th,6th pads are playing an octave lower than the main -4..0..+4 pads. Even if the main note changes, these 4 pads stay on the same initial notes., which together with the lower octave is a bit like a drone or a held chord and playing melodies above it - nice.

In my variant my chord pads (+2,+3,+4,+5) are relativ to the current note, starting in the same octave - so the chord can move up and down in the scale. I‘m still trying around and playtest to find better a chord logic (Maybe keep the chord base-note fixed as long as one of the chord notes is pressed and one moves to a different chord type by changing just one of the chord pads, i will find out if that‘s better - or i make the behavior configurable and additionally support your chords idea)

BTW: I’m still not planning to add a sequencer to my script variant :)