Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Couple of loopy pro recording questions

Just going to try and ask these here before I try and work out how to use disscord. I think they're pretty simple but I just can't work them out

1. Is there a quick way to get a series of loops recording one after the other. I can go manually into a clip and use a follow action to say 'when finished recording, start recording on this next clip', but if I want to add a third, forth fifth to record consecutively i have to go into each clip and do it separately for each. I feel like there must be an option for something like 'record all yellow clips one after the other', but I can't find it.

2. How can I get it so a clip starts recording not as soon as I touch it, but so that it starts on exactly 2/4/8 beats?

As I said, these are pretty basic questions but they're beyond me right now.

(Using loopy pro as an effect AUM but I don't think that's important for this)

Comments

• @nickneek said:
    Just going to try and ask these here before I try and work out how to use disscord. I think they're pretty simple but I just can't work them out

1. Is there a quick way to get a series of loops recording one after the other. I can go manually into a clip and use a follow action to say 'when finished recording, start recording on this next clip', but if I want to add a third, forth fifth to record consecutively i have to go into each clip and do it separately for each. I feel like there must be an option for something like 'record all yellow clips one after the other', but I can't find it.

2. How can I get it so a clip starts recording not as soon as I touch it, but so that it starts on exactly 2/4/8 beats?

As I said, these are pretty basic questions but they're beyond me right now.

(Using loopy pro as an effect AUM but I don't think that's important for this)

There isn’t an option like record all yellow clips one after another.

Loopy has count-in and count-out options that easily let you set when recording starts in relation to the clock and a master length setting you can change on the fly to determine when recording kicks in.

The Loopy manual can be found here:

https://loopypro.com/manual/

• Thanks, i did try the manual…

• Everything you want to do is in the edit settings for an individual loop. You obvs need to spend some time with YouTube tutorials but just know that it can be done. Dive in, bruv!

• @nickneek said:
    Thanks, i did try the manual…

See the Settings->Recording Settings section for information about count-in/out

• Sorry, I still don't get what I'm missing. It says in the manual

COUNT IN QUANTIZATION
    The synchronisation interval for beginning loop recordings. None: Start recording loops immediately. Master: Wait until the beginning of the next clock master cycle to begin recording. Custom: Define a custom sync interval. Default value: Master

My master clock setting is 8

Recording count in quantisation is master (count out too) so shouldn't they be enough for me to tap so that it starts recording exactly at and for 8 bars? But it is still starting immediately. There aren’t any other colour or clip specific parameters set up, everything is at default.

I know I’m being dumb.. maybe i should leave this for the night

• @nickneek said:
    Sorry, I still don't get what I'm missing. It says in the manual

COUNT IN QUANTIZATION
    The synchronisation interval for beginning loop recordings. None: Start recording loops immediately. Master: Wait until the beginning of the next clock master cycle to begin recording. Custom: Define a custom sync interval. Default value: Master

My master clock setting is 8

Recording count in quantisation is master (count out too) so shouldn't they be enough for me to tap so that it starts recording exactly at and for 8 bars? But it is still starting immediately. There aren’t any other colour or clip specific parameters set up, everything is at default.

I know I’m being dumb.. maybe i should leave this for the night

You have intro and tail recording on. When intro recording happens, it starts recording the intro right away and when the clock gets to 0, the main loop is recorded. I recommend turning intro and tail recording off until you have the basics down as they will confuse things.

• That was it. Didn’t even think to check. Thank you very much indeed.

• I'm pretty sure you can use the sequencer to record all your clips sequentially. Draw clips on different 'channels' on the timeline and they will each start to record as the playhead reaches them. If there is no clip drawn straight after the first clip then the loop will stop, but if there is it will continue playing.

This was how I imagined I'd use Loopy pro initially, but I actually haven't for several months now so I'm not sure if anything has changed there. It could solve your problems but it does mean planning the number and length of every loop in advance so maybe not.

• @SimonSomeone said:
    I'm pretty sure you can use the sequencer to record all your clips sequentially. Draw clips on different 'channels' on the timeline and they will each start to record as the playhead reaches them. If there is no clip drawn straight after the first clip then the loop will stop, but if there is it will continue playing.

This was how I imagined I'd use Loopy pro initially, but I actually haven't for several months now so I'm not sure if anything has changed there. It could solve your problems but it does mean planning the number and length of every loop in advance so maybe not.

You can do that, but it sounded like he was hoping that there was an automatic way that didn't require setup.

• @espiegel123 True. I was thinking it avoided setting up a bunch of follow actions, but, yeh, drawing loops in is probably a similar amount of work, or even more, and less flexible.

• @SimonSomeone said:
    @espiegel123 True. I was thinking it avoided setting up a bunch of follow actions, but, yeh, drawing loops in is probably a similar amount of work, or even more, and less flexible.

There is a way to set it up with a single follow action kind of. You could set up a follow action for a color that on finish recording selects the next clip and plays/stops (which will record if the clip is empty). I also set a start recording action to select the tapped clip.

This works except it records one loop too many. I.e. it records one loop in the next color group.

• edited April 2022

When the last yellow loop finishes, a blue loop gets recorded (because there isn’t a way to restrict “next” to a color group.

• wimwim
    edited April 2022

@espiegel123 said:
    When the last yellow loop finishes, a blue loop gets recorded (because there isn’t a way to restrict “next” to a color group.

If the colors are arranged vertically then Select Clip Below would work, and would stop at the last clip.

A select clip to right/left action in addition to the the select clip above/below would be handy - as would "select next empty clip" (with directional options).

• @wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

If the colors are arranged vertically then Select Clip Below would work, and would stop at the last clip.

A select clip to right/left action in addition to the the select clip above/below would be handy - as would "select next empty clip" (with directional options).

Good idea. Arranging the colors vertically would solve it.

I believe “next empty” is coming (hopefully with context options)

• Hello!

I just purchased Loopy pro without even trying it, and just realized it is perhaps not doing what I wanted :D

But just to make sure; here is what I want to do. In AUM, I have loopy pro, and in a different track I have an interapp audio (e.g. samplr, bordelands, etc). Is there any way to record from this track (samplr in my example) to one of the clips inside Loopy Pro?
    Perhaps the question is more general, can Loopy Pro record from another track inside AUM (audio, midi, interapp, anything)?

• @cfour said:
    Hello!

I just purchased Loopy pro without even trying it, and just realized it is perhaps not doing what I wanted :D

But just to make sure; here is what I want to do. In AUM, I have loopy pro, and in a different track I have an interapp audio (e.g. samplr, bordelands, etc). Is there any way to record from this track (samplr in my example) to one of the clips inside Loopy Pro?
    Perhaps the question is more general, can Loopy Pro record from another track inside AUM (audio, midi, interapp, anything)?

Yes it can. I recommend you check out the Loopy Pro pages in the wiki. There are links to some video tutorials, one of which covers this use case. Short version: route samplr’s output to a node that has loopy pro running as an effect. There are a number of ways to that.

• @cfour : in your picture you are running loopy pro as an instrument. You need to run it as an effect in order for it yo receive audio.

• @espiegel123 said:

@cfour said:
    Hello!

Yes it can. I recommend you check out the Loopy Pro pages in the wiki. There are links to some video tutorials, one of which covers this use case. Short version: route samplr’s output to a node that has loopy pro running as an effect. There are a number of ways to that.

Thanks, I did not find videos on my initial search, so will look into that

• @cfour said:
    Hello!

I can’t test it right now but could you use the mix busses in AUM to do that? Something like this?

• Thanks @mtenk, I tried that but did not work. I think @espiegel123 has the answer; it did not occur to me to try LP as an effect :)

• @cfour : what mtenk should does have loopy loaded as an effect and would work. Please watch the tutorial I mentioned.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @cfour : what mtenk should does have loopy loaded as an effect and would work. Please watch the tutorial I mentioned.

@espiegel123 Thanks! No need to watch anything, it worked right away... magic! <3