Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Don't Go Gentle

Comments

• McDMcD
    edited March 2022

You are really on a roll making a very special blend of music from collected pieces and I assume some played. Did you play the great bass part here? I know you always have great bass lines in your works.

There's a fragment in the trumpet part that I needed to place and thankfully I found it before it drove me crazy - Horace Silver's "Sister Sadie":

• I like that. Great atmosphere and teh metal guitar part is surprising and refreshing.

• @McD I haven't heard that song in years! I think I played it in a jazz ensemble that I did occasional gigs with years ago. Great song. Thanks for posting it. I can hear it, too.

The trumpet and bass solos were from one of my go-to apps, SB. I still have my fretless and probably could have played it. Instead, I just did what I do. I output a bunch of random bits, cut them up, and reassembled them. I think I rushed this one. When I listened this morning, the mix wasn't what I heard last night. Oh well, I'll try to do better on the next one.

This is the first of 3, maybe 4, tracks that get their titles from the poem. I'm not a Dylan Thomas expert, but I just like this one a lot. It has some great word jazz.

Thanks for listening!

• @Lorichs said:
    I like that. Great atmosphere and teh metal guitar part is surprising and refreshing.

That's the great thing about making music on an iPad. You can create bands that would probably never exist in the real world. Thank you for listening and commenting!

• A crazy collage of musical genres, like a musical exquisite corpse.

• @richardyot said:
    A crazy collage of musical genres, like a musical exquisite corpse.

I wasn't familiar with that term. I'm glad you linked it to an explanation. I think that may be my new genre!

• It’s amazing how you manage to meld together bits of music and instruments that superficially sound unrelated but produce an end result that is always incredibly musical and enjoyable. Nice one!

• @GeoTony said:
    It’s amazing how you manage to meld together bits of music and instruments that superficially sound unrelated but produce an end result that is always incredibly musical and enjoyable. Nice one!

"incredibly musical and enjoyable". That's music to my ears! Thank you so much. I really appreciate that!

• Your “Fear of Bjork” song caught my attention several weeks back and I have since become a fan to the point of wanting to study your composition technique a little more in depth. I agree with what was said above about melding different elements so masterfully. I also enjoy trying to guess which instruments you are playing or have played. And I’ve also been digging the vocal elements and guitar pieces. So well done without stealing the show. You said something to linearlineman about planning your compositions. I’ll be eagerly looking for a more in-depth explanation of the magic you are producing!

• edited March 2022

@Sawiton Regarding planning, I think I was quoting Jacques Clouseau (Peter Sellers, A Shot In The Dark) - "Every move I make is carefully planned!" I actually have somewhat of a process, if you can call 'entropy' a process. I am at work now, so I will try to come up with something in the next few days. Thank you very much for the kind words. Very much appreciated!

• @Sawiton The process is pretty simple. I create a lot of short snippets, a few at a time. Then I come back and find things that sound like they belong together. I pull them into Cubasis and start arranging them. I like songs to be between 3 and 4 minutes long, so I include parts that yield that approximate duration. When I have a basic structure, I start editing the parts to make them transition smoothly... or not! The individual parts are based on patterns that I create with various apps, or synths in a MIDI editor, or with audio samples. I found that my iPad starts to choke when I have a lot of synths and effects, so I render everything to audio with all effects in place. Working with straight audio, I found that I can have an almost endless number of tracks without a hiccup. If a particular track doesn't sound right, I unfreeze it and try again.

The actual musical content is a matter of personal preference and taste. Keep in mind that the people that frequent this forum are not your typical consumers of pop music. What we find musically interesting may just sound like bunch of noise to others who aren't into it like we are. My wife is a perfect example. She loves country music and politely refers to my music as "interesting".

Regarding my playing, I have been a musician all of my life. I started music lessons at 8, and was in my first band at 9 - Dolores Jacklin's Junior Accordianaires! Since then I have played piano and bass in a wide variety of bands well into my mid 40s. I abandoned music in 2004 due to circumstances beyond my control, and only started up again in 2018.

This iPad stuff is a whole new ballgame. I don't actually play any physical instruments. I only use apps, a MIDI editor, and audio samples to create music that I like to listen to. I can carry everything I need in one hand!

I know that what I do will never appeal to the masses, and I'm fine with that. The fact that there are a few like-minded creators that enjoy what I do, is enough to inspire me to persevere.

Thank you for taking time to listen and sharing your thoughts!

• Thank you for the explanation. my bad for not seeing something of the same farther up. I honestly was betting you made the anchor and then built up from there. And only apps, I for sure would have guessed some of the bass and guitars were played. Very convincing on the guitar parts and I like they aren't set up to steal the show. I am definitely enjoying your music. Thanks again!

• @Sawiton That's quite a compliment. Thank you very much! I am looking forward to warmer weather. One of my favorite things is to sit outside in the early morning with my coffee and do this. Please weigh in on anything you hear. I appreciate your input.

• Very nice track (and process) @Paulieworld! I like the Dylan Thomas reference, too. Last time I heard that poem was in the movie Interstellar - Michael Caine did a 'bloody good job' reciting it.

• @Paulieworld said:

@richardyot said:

I wasn't familiar with that term. I'm glad you linked it to an explanation. I think that may be my new genre!

I was just thinking about this and I wanted to give you a shout out. I have been using that term as my new genre on Soundcloud. Anytime something doesn't fit into a conventional category, I label it as 'Exquisite Corpse'. Thanks!

• @Paulieworld said:

@Paulieworld said:

@richardyot said:

I was just thinking about this and I wanted to give you a shout out. I have been using that term as my new genre on Soundcloud. Anytime something doesn't fit into a conventional category, I label it as 'Exquisite Corpse'. Thanks!

It's a good fit 😃

• I missed this on the first go round. A very enjoyable track that kept me listening. Good to get a clearer picture of what you do. I hope you’ll add your actual playing skills to the mix sometime soon. 👍👍

• @LinearLineman said:
    I missed this on the first go round. A very enjoyable track that kept me listening. Good to get a clearer picture of what you do. I hope you’ll add your actual playing skills to the mix sometime soon. 👍👍

Thank you! It's actually a really simple process, just time consuming, but I enjoy it. I have a little iRig controller, but it feels like I'm playing a bag of marshmallows. I don't enjoy it at all. I usually like to sit on my couch or my directors chair on the patio when I play with my iPad. The controller just gets in the way. I like this new approach that I have settled into. I also think I come up with new and different ideas this way. Maybe one of these days I'll give it a go, but I am about 20 years out of practice!