Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS AUv3 Sequencers Playhead Position issue (Drambo, Koala)

hey everyone, hope all is well.
Is anyone else having issues with auv3 drum sequencers not following host playhead position when moved ?
The only APP that works with all host is Digistix.
Drambo ignores host playhead position change. If you move host playhead to say bar 2,3 or 4, Drambo always goes back to bar 1. @giku_beepstreet is that normal ? Tested in GB, Cubasis 3 and Auria Pro same outcome.
Koala on the other hand, if you move host playhead, Koala will choose a random point to start from. @elf_audio is this a bug ?
Maybe a message (email) to @4pockets_paul could help fix this issue since Digistix and all his apps work as they should.
Here is a video of the issue

Comments

• As long as we're forced to use a 'multi app soup' to work around somewhat basic missing features (Proper Sampler, Step-Sequencer etc.) we're bound to bump into various issues.

To be honest it's 'sick' that for the entire 2021 we've had to use and rely on other 'DAW Like Apps' to cover for missing features in another DAW?!

Maybe 2022 will change that but considering that most apps we love are 'one man sweat shops' it'll likely take a few more years before things start cooking if their patience doesn't run out.

My iPad mostly serves as 'sampler fodder' for the desktop where I spend most of my time with Renoise, SunVox and Logic...
    ...I do still keep an eye on iOS/iPadOS but I don't expect any major miracles in near future, apart from a few epic updates.

Cheers!

• Interesting. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this before.

• The majority of 'issues' get discovered when creating an 'app soup' :sunglasses:

I tend to use Koala as 'stand alone'(mostly on my iPhone 8) and Drambo as a Synth/Groovebox & AUv3 host on the iPad.

It's quite ironic that the the sampler in GarageBand supports *.wav tuning & loop-metadata, something that Cubasis sampler simply ignores. Hopefully we'll see some _major_ updates in the sampling department in Cubasis during 2022 to avoid creating an even thicker 'app soup' to overcome the limitations...

Cheers!

• I use Drambo in Audiobus all the time, no issues, ever!

It has to be said that other than not having buses it is the most featured host on iOS and sync is second to none.

• edited January 2022

@Samu said:
    It's quite ironic that the the sampler in GarageBand supports *.wav tuning & loop-metadata, something that Cubasis sampler simply ignores. Hopefully we'll see some _major_ updates in the sampling department in Cubasis during 2022 to avoid creating an even thicker 'app soup' to overcome the limitations...

Ignoring sustain loop tags and rootkey tags is unfortunately the standard these days. Unfortunately also with many newer hardware devices (e.g. Roland MC-101, Elektron Digitakt). I'm afraid that many (especially younger) developers don't know that these tags are officially part of the WAVE format specification.

I was in contact with the developer of Drambo a few weeks ago and he wrote that loop tag detection will be implemented. I can't wait to use my tons of already looped samples in Drambo :smiley:

• @klangsulfat said:

I was in contact with the developer of Drambo a few weeks ago and he wrote that loop tag detection will be implemented. I can't wait to use my tons of already looped samples in Drambo :smiley:

Goodie that someone else also requested it :sunglasses:
    I'm doing my best to track down bugs in the D-betas...

• @Samu said:
    As long as we're forced to use a 'multi app soup' to work around somewhat basic missing features (Proper Sampler, Step-Sequencer etc.) we're bound to bump into various issues.

To be honest it's 'sick' that for the entire 2021 we've had to use and rely on other 'DAW Like Apps' to cover for missing features in another DAW?!

Maybe 2022 will change that but considering that most apps we love are 'one man sweat shops' it'll likely take a few more years before things start cooking if their patience doesn't run out.

My iPad mostly serves as 'sampler fodder' for the desktop where I spend most of my time with Renoise, SunVox and Logic...
    ...I do still keep an eye on iOS/iPadOS but I don't expect any major miracles in near future, apart from a few epic updates.

Cheers!

The 'multi app soup' is well stated, @Samu

I have the same feeling about this. A lot of individual apps are brilliant but it would be so nice if you can feel the 'Logic Pro X' vibe on our IOS/iPadOS device. It isn't and I'm afraid 2022 will not bring it.

• @Paa89 said:
    hey everyone, hope all is well.
    Is anyone else having issues with auv3 drum sequencers not following host playhead position when moved ?
    The only APP that works with all host is Digistix.
    Drambo ignores host playhead position change. If you move host playhead to say bar 2,3 or 4, Drambo always goes back to bar 1. @giku_beepstreet is that normal ? Tested in GB, Cubasis 3 and Auria Pro same outcome.
    Koala on the other hand, if you move host playhead, Koala will choose a random point to start from. @elf_audio is this a bug ?

I'm not sure how a timeline can be consistently applied to essentially loop based apps. Koala is purely loop based and has no song mode. If you have a bunch of 2-bar loops, where does the playback cursor go if the host timeline is at bar 7?

Drambo is similar, but it does have a song mode in that you can turn off looping and set the number of times each pattern loops before moving on to the next. So I guess in that one case Drambo would calculate which pattern and bar to jump to? But what happens to automation in that context? Let's say you have a parameter lock on step 2 of bar 1 in pattern 3. Now you jump to pattern 2, bar 1. How does that parameter lock get applied?

I think if you think the implementation details through, it reveals plenty of reasons why loop based apps don't follow host timeline position.

• @Samu said:

sorry for later reply just totally forgot about the post.
    😉
    it’s really sad that your iPad is just a sample folder, when it could be more.
    It’s been over 8 years i started using iPad for music production and yes things have improve, but could be better. Especially since the hardware keeps getting better.
    2021 was a bit of a let down indeed. i was so disappointed Apple introduced the M1 iPads with a OS which doesn’t take advantage of the hardware and only few apps introduced.
    In regards to Cubasis, i don’t understand why the sampler hasn’t had an update yet, the only reason that comes to mind, is that not a lot of people have requested it. But i do Know that Lars and his team are working hard to make 2022 better.☺️
    I also believe that once Apple gets rid of the samples/files Sandbox issue, we might see major improvements for music production.
    Fingers crossed it’s the right year for you iPad to come back to life.

As long as we're forced to use a 'multi app soup' to work around somewhat basic missing features (Proper Sampler, Step-Sequencer etc.) we're bound to bump into various issues.

Cheers!

i’

• @cyberheater said:
    Interesting. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this before.

It has been an issue for a while now.
    Initially, the “blame” was on hosts. Cubasis for example was said to not send right parameters to AUv3 APPS but i never had this issue with 4pockets APPS.
    There’s definitely something going on with Drambo and Koala.

• @Paa89 said:

There’s definitely something going on with Drambo and Koala.

Both those apps are actively being worked on at an almost insane phase, both are really 'one person sweatshops' :sunglasses:

Sandboxing is less of an issue now (iOS15) since a host can ask for permission to access folders anywhere on the device.

The core problem here is that an app has to work with multiple iOS version of which not every version has all the needed features or simply drop support for older iOS versions which would upset some users...

As long as import/export (drag'n'drop between apps etc.) works somewhat smoothly I'm more that happy with a 'secure' device that I use for many different task than having it being an 'open target' when on the move.

With that said I'm not the least interested in carrying 100's of GB's with samples with me everywhere I go and I can always fetch the samples from my network drive/server if/when needed.

Different use cases I know...
    ...I'm looking forward to iPadOS16 later on this year...

• edited May 2022

Spent 500 USD and cannot make a proper Cubasis 3 project with some pattern based plugin and internal song mode. Just reported bug to UWI Beathawk, again. 2 years and no progress.

The best workflow was MPC Live II with iPad, tried it for 1 month.

Digistix 2 is close to dream come true, only if it could trigger midi out drum synths.

LK - no song mode.

Koala, Beathawk - sync bug

Beatmaker 3 - no AU plugin version

Ableton Link - only relative sync position for live looping, not for project mode or song mode

Audiobus - nice, but none of the big players implements its native sync interface in mid 2022

EDIT: Loopy Pro has internal song mode, is AU plugin and works inside a host including playhead jump in Cubasis 3. Similar to Digistix 2.

• @CyberLuke said:
    Spent 500 USD and cannot make a proper Cubasis 3 project with some pattern based plugin and internal song mode. Just reported bug to UWI Beathawk, again. 2 years and no progress.

The best workflow was MPC Live II with iPad, tried it for 1 month.

Digistix 2 is close to dream come true, only if it could trigger midi out drum synths.

LK - no song mode.

Koala, Beathawk - sync bug

Beatmaker 3 - no AU plugin version

Ableton Link - only relative sync position for live looping, not for project mode or song mode

Audiobus - nice, but none of the big players implements its native sync interface in mid 2022

EDIT: Loopy Pro has internal song mode, is AU plugin and works inside a host including playhead jump in Cubasis 3. Similar to Digistix 2.

Drambo, Koala & Loopy Pro = the dream team. Sync issues are over.

• I don’t understand what you mean, Loopy Pro does not support midi, yet and both Drambo and Koala are buggy and do have sync issues. @BroCoast

• @CyberLuke said:

Has anyone ever tried Loopy Pro with Xequence2 and the MIDI thru option? Cus if only loopy Pro had a true audio track...

• @CyberLuke said:
    I don’t understand what you mean, Loopy Pro does not support midi, yet and both Drambo and Koala are buggy and do have sync issues. @BroCoast

What sync Issues? I host LP and Koala in Drambo with absolutely no issues.

• @CyberLuke said:
    I don’t understand what you mean, Loopy Pro does not support midi, yet and both Drambo and Koala are buggy and do have sync issues. @BroCoast

There are plenty of MIDI AUv3 sequencers that will run in Loopy Pro.

• edited September 2022

Hi guys, so we have September and I was in communication with UVI through their support portal.

They released Beathawk update last week. And guess what? Sync issues fixed!!!

So Beathawk and Digistix are the only AU app right now that supports samples, features built-in pattern editor, MPC style and does properly sync to its host:

• when moving playhead offline
    • when moving playhead actively during Play
    • Play / Pause / Continue works
    • Play / Stop / Play works - including changing position
    • Loop region in host works and Beathawk will sync properly

Beathawk should be able to trigger external synthesized drum plugins, Digistix cannot do that.

I am software developer as well so to wrap it up:
    1) your proposed solutions as MIDI AUv3 sequencers, Drambo, Koala - DO NOT WORK, HAVE BUG
    2) lesson to learn for others: When you have some issue with software, do write it on developer's support website first or second at least - do the extra mile for others as I did for you now - that is the only real solution to make progress and have a working fix...crying on reddit or forum is not in development process - you need to create the ticket in their system, describe it, document it...it might take half year, but it will be solved

• UVI support request #76702, Beathawk version: 2.2.16 [fixed] ...the version history mentions: "up to date dependencies"