Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Clickbait and Self-Promotion

edited May 2022 in Other

Figured this might be a good place to have a discussion around this forum’s feelings regarding clickbaity titles and self-promotion instead of bogging down other threads with it.

Here’s my two cents on the matter. This isn’t a forum for producers and consumers. This is a forum of peers. Yes, some on this forum make apps that other buy. Some make albums that others buy. Some make videos that others watch. But this isn’t a marketing platform. It’s not a capitalist venture. It’s a bunch of peers sharing stuff.

So with that, it feels very ingenuine to me for people to post clickbaity titles and use this forum primarily as a method of self-promotion.

Now don’t get me wrong. Self-promotion is totally okay. But make sure you’re giving something back. Participate in other conversations, give feedback on the work that others share. Give something for what you’re getting. There are plenty of devs and YouTubers that do exactly that. They integrate themselves into the community. And I think that’s entirely welcome.

But if you’re just self-promoting and not otherwise participating in the community, you’re kind of like a door-to-door solicitor. You’re asking for something without giving something back.

So that’s my perspective. What’s yours?

Comments

• wimwim
    edited May 2022

Mine is it simply isn't enough of a problem to bother with. I'll go as far as to say I dislike that kind of thinking, which IMO encourages nothing positive.

... to what purpose? To save some people the effort of simply exercising judgement over what they prefer to consume vs. skip? No one is forced to read anything here, and there is the ignore function if there are individuals who are too irritating.

• @wim said:
    Mine is it simply isn't enough of a problem to bother with. I'll go as far as to say I dislike that kind of thinking, which IMO encourages nothing positive.

... to what purpose? To save some people the effort of simply exercising judgement over what they prefer to consume vs. skip? No one is forced to read anything here, and there is the ignore function if there are individuals who are too irritating.

I agree. Pure spam messages don't seem to show up here, so that's a big plus. And there's nothing wrong with telling people about something they're excited about.

• @ChancedMusic - I believe your sentiment is more "If you self-promote please think about contributing in other ways as well" than "Please don't post here if all you care about is self-promotion", but it's too easy to fall into the more negative direction of that line of thinking IMO.

• Some times we just need to be reminded of the simple things:

• I just wish the “ignore” feature on this forum was a bit more robust. 😉

• I didn't know "ignore" was an option. Thx for the tip :D

• edited May 2022

It's funny. I don't really care that much. But it's so easy to point out that someone is being a dickhead I think why not. For the record:

• Clickbait = Dickead in certain places like a forum.
    • Self Promotion - There are limits. Posting your latest creation is self promotion but I think we all gain from that to a degree (learning, hearing what an app can do etc). Bombarding a forum like this with your deceptively titled youtube content is just using the forum as an easy way to get some free attention.
  • @ChancedMusic said:
    Figured this might be a good place to have a discussion around this forum’s feelings regarding clickbaity titles and self-promotion instead of bogging down other threads with it.

I don't see that there is a problem.

I get more annoyed at people who post any old rubbish under "General Apps Discussion" but I'm pretty grumpy. LOL.

• Ah yes thank you. I thought this topic might have come up before.

• @wim said:
    @ChancedMusic - I believe your sentiment is more "If you self-promote please think about contributing in other ways as well" than "Please don't post here if all you care about is self-promotion", but it's too easy to fall into the more negative direction of that line of thinking IMO.

It’s definitely a bit of both, but definitely more the former.

• @ChancedMusic said:

@wim said:
    @ChancedMusic - I believe your sentiment is more "If you self-promote please think about contributing in other ways as well" than "Please don't post here if all you care about is self-promotion", but it's too easy to fall into the more negative direction of that line of thinking IMO.

It’s definitely a bit of both, but definitely more the former.

I remember that thread you should go there and read those comments then you will have a pretty good idea how the people here feel.
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/47802/what-do-we-think-of-drive-bys/p1

• Heh, read that thread. Whatever happened to MeatWalrus?

• The thing I find sad is that this thread and the previous one mentioned above both seem to have been generated in response to posts by people who have done a HUGE amount for the iOS music community, and continue to do so. If you’re not interested just ignore the posts. You can see who the thread starter is in the forum start page listings, it’s not hard.

I for one find the posts a useful heads-up, and if it’s about something I’m not interested in, then wow, I’ve wasted a couple of taps looking at the thread and backing out again. Big deal.

The likes of Jakob Haq, MobileMusicPro, Electronisounds, The Sound Test Room and all the others I’ve not listed (there are many) put a huge amount of time and effort into their work, for an increasingly poor return thanks to YT's algorithm lottery and Apple dropping affiliate links for apps. For heaven's sake, cut them some slack if they don’t spend hours in the forums every day as well!

• @bygjohn said:

The likes of Jakob Haq, MobileMusicPro, Electronisounds, The Sound Test Room and all the others I’ve not listed (there are many) put a huge amount of time and effort into their work, for an increasingly poor return thanks to YT's algorithm lottery and Apple dropping affiliate links for apps. For heaven's sake, cut them some slack if they don’t spend hours in the forums every day as well!

This.

• Fortunately I never have to worry about Clickbait anymore after I checked out
    HTTPS//:clickbait.com
    Oops I typed it wrong

• edited May 2022

@bygjohn said:
    The thing I find sad is that this thread and the previous one mentioned above both seem to have been generated in response to posts by people who have done a HUGE amount for the iOS music community, and continue to do so. If you’re not interested just ignore the posts. You can see who the thread starter is in the forum start page listings, it’s not hard.

I for one find the posts a useful heads-up, and if it’s about something I’m not interested in, then wow, I’ve wasted a couple of taps looking at the thread and backing out again. Big deal.

I agree with this. I do think there’s a fine line, but most of the people posting “clickbait” here are also the ones really helping to prop up the iOS music community, and they all give back and are usually very active here when they post. They all also comment on posts from other people, which I think is very telling.

• @ChancedMusic said:

Here’s my two cents on the matter. This isn’t a forum for producers and consumers. This is a forum of peers. Yes, some on this forum make apps that other buy. Some make albums that others buy. Some make videos that others watch. But this isn’t a marketing platform. It’s not a capitalist venture. It’s a bunch of peers sharing stuff.

So with that, it feels very ingenuine to me for people to post clickbaity titles and use this forum primarily as a method of self-promotion.

Now don’t get me wrong. Self-promotion is totally okay. But make sure you’re giving something back. Participate in other conversations, give feedback on the work that others share. Give something for what you’re getting. There are plenty of devs and YouTubers that do exactly that. They integrate themselves into the community. And I think that’s entirely welcome.

But if you’re just self-promoting and not otherwise participating in the community, you’re kind of like a door-to-door solicitor. You’re asking for something without giving something back.

So that’s my perspective. What’s yours?

It seems to me that if people don’t find something of interest, they should choose to not read the thread.

I don’t get the point of these threads that seem intended to stir up bad feeling. What matters to me is whether a post is potentially relevant to the community not whether the person posting is a frequent poster to the forum.

In my opinion, being a frequent poster doesn’t mean one’s posts are likely to be more relevant than those of someone creating a thread to bring attention to some iOS music related topic…even if it is self-promotion.

• Without those threads you’ll never develop your personalised filter...
    (now I’m curious what the original title could have been)

• Don’t tell me what to do // You’re not my mom!!!

• If I’m not in the mood to listen to music, I simply don’t click. If curiosity calls and I don’t end up liking the music, I’m out of the thread at around 10-20s, which is far less than the amount of time I spend being distracted by threads like this. But for some reason, it’s harder for me to ignore users being micromanagers and backseat drivers than it is to ignore political discussions and content promoters. And as some have mentioned, most of the regular content/music creators on this forum reciprocate or contribute in some way.

• @espiegel123 said:
    It seems to me that if people don’t find something of interest, they should choose to not read the thread.

That's the issue. Posts that don't provide information to enable to to decide before you watch their video through the forum. I don't care about YouTube as that is the uncontrolled wild west. I don't think it's reasonable to deliberately leave out information and slip it into the forum as helpful information when the intent is to drive up views. Yes it's getting harder to make a living, but there are limits to what people with a conscience will do. There are plenty of people that post content here in an informative and up front way. Then they participate in the discussion. These members are not the issue here.

• @Ailerom said:

@espiegel123 said:

That's the issue. Posts that don't provide information to enable to to decide before you watch their video through the forum. I don't care about YouTube as that is the uncontrolled wild west. I don't think it's reasonable to deliberately leave out information and slip it into the forum as helpful information when the intent is to drive up views. Yes it's getting harder to make a living, but there are limits to what people with a conscience will do. There are plenty of people that post content here in an informative and up front way. Then they participate in the discussion. These members are not the issue here.

It takes what 10 seconds to click on a link and see what the post is?

If there is an issue with the post or it’s subject, just post a respectful note in the relevant thread requesting a more informative title.

• Oops // just being playful

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    Oops // just being playful

Omg I clicked it. Help, what do I do now?????????

• Yes some people post a bit of clickbait here, but it’s so much less than pretty much any other forum I’m on that I personally don’t care. If you’re a regular here anyway you know pretty quick who’s posts aren’t really your thing and don’t click on them.

• I’ve tried to consolidate my chaos into one thread // different series // different thread

I can smell what the OP is stepping in // there’s a metric shit ton info everywhere // very difficult to thin it out

• HOPEFULLY YOU’RE PLAYING IT LOUD!!!

@maxwellhouser said:

@iOSTRAKON said:
    Oops // just being playful

Omg I clicked it. Help, what do I do now?????????

• Rule #1: Nobody get offended on the internet.
    Rule #2: Business never personal.

Alrighty.

If I talk about the tiresome spam of YouTube, it does not equal personal slander against any video maker. It’s a business discussion.

So in the spirit of this thread I would like to share that I am sick of the YouTube spam. Done with it. The baity titles, the goofy facial expressions, the relentless begging to Like and Subscribe, the paid for promos.

I love a lot of what is in those videos. Love the workflows, the musicianship, the apps, plugins and hardware. It’s pretty much my TV now. But I hate these spammy elements. Because they are ubiquitous. Just like the loud ads were/are on traditional TV. They take away from the authenticity of the presenter.

And if you call it out then, who knows, it might start to improve. It would be a shame to see that sort of content start to creep in here and the recent thread that inspired this one stepped into that territory.

The flip side is that I appreciate the hustle. The trying to make a living (or at least get some free shit).

It’s a discussion, for sure. Just not personal :wink:

• @gusgranite said:

So in the spirit of this thread I would like to share that I am sick of the YouTube spam. Done with it. The baity titles, the goofy facial expressions, the relentless begging to Like and Subscribe, the paid for promos.

I really hope the thumbnail faces are getting to a boiling point. I agree they are ubiquitous and I just want to fast forward to a time when the dumbfounded facial expression thumbnail will be just a way to tell how dated a video is at a glance. Like the mullet in my childhood photos.