Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What’s the closest we’ve got to a Prophet 6?

I know very little about hardware, but whenever someone’s playing a prophet 6 on instagram or whatever it always sounds so great to my ears.

What iOS synth do you think gets closest?

Comments

• None really.
    If only U-he REPRO-5 was available on iOS!

• @rs2000 said:
    None really.

Such a beautiful plugin :)

• @el_bo said:

@rs2000 said:
    None really.

I've played both and I have to say that I even prefer the sound of REPRO-5 over the Prophet-6.
    The P6 is a well made hardware synth but sound-wise, the REPRO-5 has more sweet spots and nails "that vintage Prophet sound" better IMO.

• This doesn’t really answer your question but Starsky Carr can make a Prophet 6 and a Jupiter 6 sound almost identical here:

It’s not the same instrument exactly but isn’t there a Jupiter 8 you can use in Zenbeats?

• edited May 2022

There's the Arturia iProphet which gives sounds from the prophet.

That said, it's not necessarily the instrument that you're a fan of, but that particular synth player, and his/her/their sound selection.

You could:

1. Sample the sounds that you like. (whether from the actual synth, or use an audio seperation tool like Koala/Let's Unmix to get the tone you're looking for

2. Try and replicate the synth patches. There are a lot of apps that can get you similar features as the prophet synth in terms of oscillator, and effects. Synthmaster 1 or 2, and the Moog apps are my personal favorites for full synths. But you could also replicate it by using an app like Drambo, which then turns it into your synth.

Here's a video I did with @Gravitas showing how we did #2. We went step-by-step in creating a Moog Voyager, based on the design of the original.

• Korg iMonoPoly is in the same ballpark. SSM filter, X-MOD.

• Synthronik as Pro-V

• Thanks all. Will digest the videos a bit later on.

This may be a dumb question but how different is the prophet 6 from the prophet 5?

From all the videos I’ve watched it, the 6 has a kinda warm subtle softness to it compared to usual growly v/a’s. Maybe that’s just the people playing it though, and the presets they’re using.

• edited May 2022

@R_2 said:
    Korg iMonoPoly is in the same ballpark. SSM filter, X-MOD.

Monopoly does use SSM but the Prophet 5 uses SSM. The Prophet 6 uses a Curtis filter. @gregsmith

The voice architecture is different as well. Prophet 6 uses variable shaped waveforms while P5 uses the fixed shapes of the original P5.

P5 has overall better sound imo, because the SSM filters. It's my favorite filter which I have in Eurorack as well.

• @rs2000 said:

@el_bo said:

@rs2000 said:
    None really.

I've played both and I have to say that I even prefer the sound of REPRO-5 over the Prophet-6.
    The P6 is a well made hardware synth but sound-wise, the REPRO-5 has more sweet spots and nails "that vintage Prophet sound" better IMO.

Re-pro is emulating a P5 where as P6 is different, since they use different filters. Re-pro is fantastic indeed.

• @rs2000 said:

@el_bo said:

@rs2000 said:
    None really.

That's pretty crazy. Far and away the best sounding synth plugin I own. Would love to compliment it with GForce's OB-E one day (From listening to the demos, I get the same 'hairs standing on end' feels) :)

• @el_bo said:

@rs2000 said:

@el_bo said:

@rs2000 said:
    None really.

That's pretty crazy. Far and away the best sounding synth plugin I own. Would love to compliment it with GForce's OB-E one day (From listening to the demos, I get the same 'hairs standing on end' feels) :)

Oh indeed, I really have to demo the OB-E soon, GForce has built excellent synths (still loving their Oddity 2 a lot).

• R_2R_2
    edited May 2022

@auxmux said:

@R_2 said:

Monopoly does use SSM but the Prophet 5 uses SSM. The Prophet 6 uses a Curtis filter.

Prophet 6 doesn’t have a Curtis filter, it’s a new discrete design inspired by the original P5 filter.
    P5 rev3 has a Curtis filter.

• Stumbled across this vid featuring the Soundforce SFC5 V2 MIDI controller designed for Repro-5 or similar plugin. GAS starting to rise after seeing his comment about the SFC5's build quality being superior to those of his hardware synths (Elektron, Nord, etc.).

• @GovernorSilver Nice!
    Not sure though if I'd want to use it instead of REPRO-5 on a touch screen. The SFC doesn't have endless knobs so tweaking sounds after switching presets will most often be a "jumpy experience" as you never see what the knob position is like inside the next preset.

Might not be as relevant for designing your own sounds of course 😊

• edited May 2022

@rs2000 said:
    @GovernorSilver Nice!
    Not sure though if I'd want to use it instead of REPRO-5 on a touch screen. The SFC doesn't have endless knobs so tweaking sounds after switching presets will most often be a "jumpy experience" as you never see what the knob position is like inside the next preset.

Might not be as relevant for designing your own sounds of course 😊

If the knobs feel as good as he says they do, endless vs. not endless may not matter all that much.

OTOH, for those of us who need to control our spending, any argument we can use - like the "no endless knob" argument - might help us convince ourselves not to buy a boutique controller like that.

OTOH again, that controller is way cheaper than a real Prophet 5 Desktop.

I recall the Prophet 6 has a "live" mode - you press a button or something to get the sound of where all the knobs actually are, and can toggle back to the preset. No idea if the SFC works that way too.

That reminds me - a real Prophet 5 Rev. 4 has presets. I forgot to check for jumping when switching presets on it, when I tried it. I believe it has pots, not endless knobs.

• Yes, the hardware Prophet has simple pots and they "jump" as well.
    So it's like deciding between better overview in software or better tactile control in hardware...
    Plus the fact that purchasing a dedicated controller will lock you into that specific synth.
    Which can be a good thing in the long run 😄

• @auxmux said:

@rs2000 said:

Re-pro is emulating a P5 where as P6 is different, since they use different filters. Re-pro is fantastic indeed.

Not really… The P5 uses Curtis Filters (CEM3320). Just the early rev2 prophets used the SSM filters. Repro-5 models a emulates a P5 rev.3 with Curtis filter. Wish U-he bring the SSM as an optional filter!

• @Synthi said:

@auxmux said:

@rs2000 said:

Not really… The P5 uses Curtis Filters (CEM3320). Just the early rev2 prophets used the SSM filters. Repro-5 models a emulates a P5 rev.3 with Curtis filter. Wish U-he bring the SSM as an optional filter!

When U-he developed the REPRO-1, they've posted a public prototype of a simplified synth with a few different, unnamed filter models (all emulating the Curtis 3320!) in order to find out which one people liked the best:
    https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=460687

I found that a very interesting approach, and what surprised me is that there wasn't a single "perfect" filter model that all users found to be the best. While 117 people liked model #4 the most, 171 users gave two other models a fairly high rating too.

I also found the voting question fun: "To your ears, which filter behaves most analogue?".
    Whatever "analogue" meant to the users.

• @Synthi @auxmux @el_bo
    If you had to choose a few standout patches from the REPRO-5 factory sounds, which ones would you choose?

• Is Zeeon capable of recreating a Prophet, or at least get there very close soundwise?

• @Slush said:
    Is Zeeon capable of recreating a Prophet, or at least get there very close soundwise?

I love Zeeon so I hope so. Does anyone know what it’s filters are modelled on?

Also Flowtones seems like a good option with it’s large range of oscillator and filter options?

• @rs2000 said:
    @Synthi @auxmux @el_bo
    If you had to choose a few standout patches from the REPRO-5 factory sounds, which ones would you choose?

Haha! Hmmm...Actually, my favourite REPRO patch is from R-1 - The Unshushabble Cocktor's (TUC) Orange Radio. I also love Chris Kay's BodyRox, as it's a great copy of the bass sound in 'Yeah Yeah'

From R-5, there's obviously Bronte Scorpio's JH Beauty Pad. Also some great plucks from Aiyn Zahev and Joseph Hollo. And of course, a ton more from TUC, who is just a fantastic sound-designer :)

Will perhaps find a moment to go through them and pick out some highlights.

Also, if you don't already own the free 'Backdrops_and_Undertones' bank from fr4anceso, I can highly recommend it. Lots of very simple, but very elegant sounds that work very well for, erm...backdrops and undertones ;)

https://u-he.com/PatchLib/repro.html

• Yeah @rs2000 I remember that U-he filter survey years ago! I remember there was great differences with high resonance. I had a P5 rev3.2 for several years, one of my fave synths all time. About the original sounds, I have to check, I never use presets, but something that I love about the P5 is modulating the PWM and filter w/osc2 thru poly modulation. The pwm of the Curtis VCOs (CEM3340) is great specially at the extremes when goes almost silent.

• Interesting re-pro5 @Synthi, they should definitely have the option to use SSM. I dig Curtis filters too, as I have Matrix 6R, but SSM is simply lovely.

@rs2000 I need to use Repro5 more, usually always use Repro1.

• @gregsmith said:

@Slush said:
    Is Zeeon capable of recreating a Prophet, or at least get there very close soundwise?

Also Flowtones seems like a good option with it’s large range of oscillator and filter options?

Since TeraPro is more modular than Zeeon, so it's likely more possible in there. Flowtones is an interesting one, and bit more modular too.

• @auxmux said:

@gregsmith said:

@Slush said:

Since TeraPro is more modular than Zeeon, so it's likely more possible in there. Flowtones is an interesting one, and bit more modular too.

If Tera Pro goes universal, it’s an instabuy for me!

• @auxmux said:

@R_2 said:

Monopoly does use SSM but the Prophet 5 uses SSM. The Prophet 6 uses a Curtis filter. @gregsmith

The voice architecture is different as well. Prophet 6 uses variable shaped waveforms while P5 uses the fixed shapes of the original P5.

P5 has overall better sound imo, because the SSM filters. It's my favorite filter which I have in Eurorack as well.

What euro module are you using for the filter?

• edited May 2022

@Fingolfinzz said:

@auxmux said:

@R_2 said:

What euro module are you using for the filter?

I have a Rossum Trident and Pittsburgh Lifeforms B. I also tend to use VCV as well with Expert Sleepers ES-8. I'll send Plaits or Instruo modules in my euro filters.