Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Just The Face Of Life

edited May 2022 in Creations

This is one of the best and most beautiful pieces I have written…. Over half a century ago. It was part of a larger work, lol, lost to the ages.

ISymphonic “Aah” Choir and Soprano voice.

Comments

• I’m a sucker for choir music. This is beautiful and uses chords that most choir music doesn’t unless the composer plays some jazz piano.

A choir is so essentially human and spiritual when voices blend into something larger than the sum of the parts.

When did you write this and did you make a paper copy or render from memory now?

• edited May 2022

@McD, playing with choirs on a keyboard is too cool. We have good choices now with ISymphonic, PureSynthPlatinum and Module. There’s still BeatHawk, but I find I rarely use that now.

I wrote it around 1970. The original intent was not magisterial, but more narrational. This is an improvised version, of course. There was a paper copy but it’s gone with the wind.

• I’d actually like to see the BeatHawk rendition. I find those to be more realistic. The “Ihs” are particularly interesting, different, and well recorded/ sampled

• @mjcouche i plugged in the BeatHawk patch you mentioned and it was not very good. Probably because I would have played the whole thing differently if I had been using it. Choirs are pretty individualistic, I think.

• Ah interesting. Well thank you for trying! Beautiful piece!

• I’m glad you liked it @mjcouche. Thx, bro.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @mjcouche i plugged in the BeatHawk patch you mentioned and it was not very good. Probably because I would have played the whole thing differently if I had been using it. Choirs are pretty individualistic, I think.

I also got the BeatHawk choirs. I changed the envelopes a bit and thought it helped. I hope you do more like this. This would sound great with a real choir. Write some verses for it maybe.

• Thank you @Stochastically. There were some lyrics when I first wrote it. Here’s a sample, redolent of the 60s…

Come with me, thru my country
    Let’s all take hands for the crazy ride.
    Deep inside, inner space glide,
    Then we’ll all come back in time.

• Very nice piece, but I'm still thrown off a bit by the synthesized choirs and I think I understand why now: Best example is at 2:12-ish, where there is a small pause. It is completely silent in a way which would be very disturbing if you were in a room full of people, like a choir. Maybe some more reverb would fix that, or some other sounds mixed in.. just some background noise or something.

• @JudasZimmerman agreed. I noticed it when I was doing it but glitched on adding the reverb. I added Kleverb and replaced at top of the thread. Have a listen and see if you like it better.

• McDMcD
    edited May 2022

The reverb remix helped a lot.

I recommend the Choir IAP in Korg's Module Pro. I think you own it already because it has those "Doot" and "Doo-yat" jazzy choirs you use every other year. Please don't use them here but there are some truly epic choirs too.

• Heavenly!

• @LinearLineman said:
    @JudasZimmerman agreed. I noticed it when I was doing it but glitched on adding the reverb. I added Kleverb and replaced at top of the thread. Have a listen and see if you like it better.

Yes, that fixed it. Supernice! For maximum realism we probably need an AU3 for feet shifting, chairs creaking, muffled coughs too..

• Thanks @McD @AlterEgo_UK @JudasZimmerman. This forum is a great place to get positive criticism.

• I love your music. I am not a keyboard player and simply can’t improvise like you do. I wish I could. But I do have a little skill programming synth patches. For a similar effect to adding reverb, try adding a longer release time to the adsr and improvise with that for awhile. If the synth allows for it also play with the shape of the release. Maybe also a little longer attack time. You might like the way that feels.

• Thanks @boomer. I mess with the ADSR on BeatHawk. ISymphonic has no such controls tho I do have Attack Softener. As to improvising. Did you read my essay on improving such skills?

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/27012/how-to-improve-your-keyboard-improvising-100-in-three-weeks