Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Percussive Synth by Vadym Rostok

Comments

• Stunning..
    Download and play various minutes and want to come here to say..
    Really Good work man, different from my habitual drums seq plays, and this is good..
    Thank U

• dice/randomizer per voice

Great idea, thanks @Proppa!

Purchased to support further development.

Much appreciated! 🙏

Really Good work

Thank you, @Granc!

• Definitely some lovely sound coming out of this, immediate thinking is some sort of note probability / mutation, and automation/ other way of varying parameters, l but I think I need to rtfm and get my head round it properly before diving in with feature suggestions, thanks @vadymrostok

• The sequencer looks very unique and interesting for odd and glitchy tunes. Is there a public beta?

• edited May 2022

@vadymrostok Many thanks for the app and welcome to ABF. We’re always into percussion synths here (SeekBeats sets the benchmark high but will probably be lost to an iOS update one day).

Dial control is a little jerky. They jump to 100% too easily.
    Would like to see an easier way to scroll without accidentally changing a dial.
    Yes, always up for 🎲 randomizer.

The 9999 bpm sounds are really interesting. I would like to be able to control the pitch of the synths via midi while the sequencer is running. Is that possible yet? If I open AUM to load a sequencer I lose the sound of Perc Synth (is this a background audio thing?). Then modulation of the parameters in this situation will be really interesting.

Thanks!

[Edit: Midi in is indeed possible while the sequencer is running. Just tested with Quantum]

• Manually changing the pitch dial while the sequencer is running and with midi input from an external app appears to crash Perc Synth

• Gotta say this is one of my favorite apps I’ve had in a while so I’m glad to see it getting love from everyone here and a responsive dev to boot! Excited for the possibilities of this one, I can’t seem to put it down.

• @HotStrange said:
    Gotta say this is one of my favorite apps I’ve had in a while so I’m glad to see it getting love from everyone here and a responsive dev to boot! Excited for the possibilities of this one, I can’t seem to put it down.

Thanks guys for making me pull the trigger on this one, such great reviews on this one! Welcome to ABF Dev and thank you for joining such a brilliant and friendly place. Its a pleasure to support your work. Best wishes in ios app land. Cheers, ED

• Thank you, everyone! My pleasure!

Is there a public beta?

Not yet, but eventually will be, with the next big release.

Dial control is a little jerky. They jump to 100% too easily.

That's velocity sensitivity, I'll have to work on its configuration so it'd be more intuitive. It's possible to turn it off in the "extra" sub-menu. That'd be definitely more intuitive, but some controls require fine-tuning, like the second oscillator's frequency and pitch.

Manually changing the pitch dial while the sequencer is running and with midi input from an external app appears to crash Perc Synth

Thanks, I'll look into it!

Cheers, ED

Cheers!

I would like to be able to control the pitch of the synths via midi while the sequencer is running. Is that possible yet?

I released a new version today - 1.1.1. iOS review took only minutes once again, I guess they just prioritize paid apps. The main feature is the full MIDI CC support. Now you can control all 4 synths with MIDI CC, including pitch. Here's a small doc on the subject - https://percussive-synth.rocks/midi-cc.html

@Svetlovska, just checked it with midiLFOs, works as expected :)

• @vadymrostok you are absolutely Killin’ it right now and continued Thanks for the awesome developments. The speedy inclusion of triangle and sine oscillators has really expanded the palette potential.

A note and a request for stand-alone mode:
    To any who may not know the button marked ‘Check’ in oscillator section triggers that voice so one can hear as they shape the controls.

And unless I’ve missed it is there a way to Mute voices?. This would be very handy especially in stand-alone jamming mode. Thanks again!

• @Proppa said:
    @vadymrostok you are absolutely Killin’ it right now and continued Thanks for the awesome developments. The speedy inclusion of triangle and sine oscillators has really expanded the palette potential.

A note and a request for stand-alone mode:
    To any who may not know the button marked ‘Check’ in oscillator section triggers that voice so one can hear as they shape the controls.

And unless I’ve missed it is there a way to Mute voices?. This would be very handy especially in stand-alone jamming mode. Thanks again!

Good call on the mute option! I’ve been having fun making all kinds of crazy noises. Next step is to record some and throw it into Koala/Flip to mess around with em. Or whichever sampler strikes my fancy at the time lol.

• @ElektrikDiva said:

@HotStrange said:
    Gotta say this is one of my favorite apps I’ve had in a while so I’m glad to see it getting love from everyone here and a responsive dev to boot! Excited for the possibilities of this one, I can’t seem to put it down.

Thanks guys for making me pull the trigger on this one, such great reviews on this one! Welcome to ABF Dev and thank you for joining such a brilliant and friendly place. Its a pleasure to support your work. Best wishes in ios app land. Cheers, ED

Glad you’re enjoying it as well. Kinda like Beatly Pro, this one took me by complete surprise at how much I loved it. Definite stand out of the year so far.

• Thanks so much! I have only scratched the surface of it. Going to be awesome for sure. Wow high praise indeed. Can hardly wait to play some more. Enjoy! Cheers, ED

• @vadymrostok : wow, thank you, that was quick work!

• And unless I’ve missed it is there a way to Mute voices?. This would be very handy, especially in stand-alone jamming mode. Thanks again!

There's no dedicated control to mute at the moment, but you can use the "gain" knob to mute all oscillators and a white noise generator at once for one voice.

Thank you everyone for the kind words and the reviews!

• edited May 2022

@vadymrostok I’m getting a crash whenever I hit ‘record’ in standalone.

This is with the sequencer on and off.

This is on iPhone 6s, latest iOS.

Edit: It doesn’t do it on my iPad mini 5 latest iOS. That seems to work fine.

Also, finding the the sequencer to be very fun. Any chance of that being available as a midi auv3?

• Thanks, @MichaelRocketship!
    I'll try to debug it on Simulator. Hopefully, I'll get your crash report and will be able to fix it.

midi auv3?

I've been thinking to make the sequencer a separate AUv3 unit, you've reinforced this idea, will definitely work on it!

• edited May 2022

@vadymrostok said:
    Thanks, @MichaelRocketship!
    I'll try to debug it on Simulator. Hopefully, I'll get your crash report and will be able to fix it.

Good news! I guess I’m mostly going to use it on the iPad, but it’s got a really fun one handed Interface, I can see it getting some phone use on my commute.

I've been thinking to make the sequencer a separate AUv3 unit, you've reinforced this idea, will definitely work on it!

Excellent. Maybe with some sort of pattern switching capability? I can see it being a lot of fun to put rhythm tracks together with other sound sources too.

• I bought app then refunded as I couldnt add notes to sequencer. Is the sequencer what makes app good. I like all au's to be able to program drums. Would the oscilators offer anything from other synths or easier use, drum synths?

• @sigma79 said:
    I bought app then refunded as I couldnt add notes to sequencer. Is the sequencer what makes app good. I like all au's to be able to program drums. Would the oscilators offer anything from other synths or easier use, drum synths?

I was just thinking about purchasing. What’s this about not being able to add notes to the sequencer? Has anyone else had this issue?

• edited June 2022

@robosardine said:

@sigma79 said:
    I bought app then refunded as I couldnt add notes to sequencer. Is the sequencer what makes app good. I like all au's to be able to program drums. Would the oscilators offer anything from other synths or easier use, drum synths?

I was just thinking about purchasing. What’s this about not being able to add notes to the sequencer? Has anyone else had this issue?

Not an issue. Just didnt read manual.

Wondering if I need to buy for the oscilators or just use Drambo oscilators/modulators.

If its the sequencer is what makes the app. Or its cool with polybud.

Just trying to gain sound sources. So I can have quirky p-locked sounds. Like a volca drum. Even though I can just use volca drum. I believe that ios perhaps, easy sequencing to p-lock ratio isnt the same but definately believe its because of swing. I think we need Abelton swing.

• @sigma79 said:

@robosardine said:

@sigma79 said:

Wondering if I need to buy for the oscilators or just use Drambo oscilators/modulators.

Just trying to gain sound sources. So I can have quirky p-locked sounds. Like a volca drum. Even though I can just use volca drum. I believe that ios perhaps, easy sequencing to p-lock ratio isnt the same but definately believe its because of swing. I think we need Abelton swing.

Ah OK, thanks. It’s got a manual too. That makes a change these days - good to hear that.

• @robosardine said:

@sigma79 said:

@robosardine said:

@sigma79 said:

Ah OK, thanks. It’s got a manual too. That makes a change these days - good to hear that.

Bought the app. Will see what the sequencer is about. I can load more oscilator types in Drambo. If thats what app is about but obviously seeing if theres character in apps oscilators.

• @vadymrostok said:

midi auv3?

Yes, please do! the sequencer in the standalone is really interesting and fun to play, would love to have it as AUv3

• @sharifkerbage said:

@vadymrostok said:

midi auv3?

Yes, please do! the sequencer in the standalone is really interesting and fun to play, would love to have it as AUv3

Seconded. That would be fantastic. Especially if you could send all 4 parts to separate outputs.

• I work on it. Turns out that making a separate AU with sequencer only (alongside the existing AU) is way trickier than packaging both sequencer and synths in one AU.
    Still, I think it's worth it, separate sequencer AU will provide superior agility.
    I have a full-time job that gets in the way though :) I hope I'll be ready to ship a big update this summer.
    By now I've done a 2 column view for iPads. I've seen in statistics that most people use the app on iPads. And current UI is designed for vertical phone view. So I decided to give an option to toggle the app view as two columns - sequencer on the left, and synths on the right.

• Thanks for all your work @vadymrostok !

I’m still using (and loving) Percussive daily.

• That's awesome! Thanks, @Proppa!

Btw, I started an Instagram page to run small ads and promote the app there, https://instagram.com/percussivesynth/. I've posted a short "speedrun" of a track creation and export and shared some history about the app's development in stories.

• @vadymrostok said:
    That's awesome! Thanks, @Proppa!

Btw, I started an Instagram page to run small ads and promote the app there, https://instagram.com/percussivesynth/. I've posted a short "speedrun" of a track creation and export and shared some history about the app's development in stories.

Excellent and in just watching a couple videos there I’m hearing some sounds that I didn’t realize were possible with Percussive 👌🏽

• @vadymrostok said:
    By now I've done a 2 column view for iPads. I've seen in statistics that most people use the app on iPads. And current UI is designed for vertical phone view. So I decided to give an option to toggle the app view as two columns - sequencer on the left, and synths on the right.

This is great to hear! I really like the app but the GUI is cumbersome on an iPad Pro. Lots of wasted space and unnecessary scrolling but the sequencer and synth is great - I think you have a winner here and I’m sure it’ll get even better with time. Don’t stress yourself out though and thank you for the updates!