Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Eventide Misha @Superbooth

Yesterday I attended Superbooth. It was a day packed full of amazing things. Hainbach gave an fascinating introduction to Stockhausen‘s early 60s electronic music making including live tape looping. The unique rough sounds of the Motor Synth mk II. The Polyend Play. But for me the most remarkable device I’ve seen was Eventide’s Misha.

Eventide doing Eurorack modules? I wasn’t aware of that. Misha is a truly different approach to music making. It generates CV, Midi and also sound in combination with another module that was sitting next to it in a minimal rack just enough to host both modules. The most remarkable thing about Misha is it’s keyboard and the way to play music with it. They keyboard isn‘t absolute. Each key is a relative value to the last played note in the selected scale. The keys range from -4 to +4 and obviously you don‘t get the same note when you hit the same key twice (except the 0 key). First this is quite mind boggling but it is very enjoyable. You are playing intervals instead of notes.

It has 100 scales built in and you can import 100 more scales of your own. For that it reads scale definition files in an expression language called Scala. These scales can be micro tonal. It also has a sequencer that can also sequence chords. It’s a really different way of playing with surprisingly different results. The guys said that they are also thinking about a desktop model. The price tag of 600 USD seems to be quite high, though. I would really like to have an app for that which shouldn’t be too difficult - most likely doable with Drambo, too 😉

Comments

• With MTS-SEP Mini, a free plugin, you can load scala files into your DAW, tuning all the compatible synths or instruments to this scale. Newfangled Generate, Arturia Pigments, Pianoteq, Rhizomatic Plasmonic or all the U-he synths are compatible with the format.

https://oddsound.com/mtsespmini.php

There is also a paid version of MTS-ESP that lets you to change the parameters of these scales on the fly, obtaining a similar result to this module.

And of course, Bitwig also lets you to load scale files using its Micro-pitch device. It works with all the Bitwig internal synths, and you can obtain wild results by using Bitwig modulators in its different parameters.

In iOS you have Wilsonic, a free app for designing custom scale files, that can also work as an external synth using InterApp Audio. And it can be installen on M1 Macs, to create scale files to use in MTS-SEP or via the Bitwig Micro-Pitch device. The good thing of this method, is that in Mac, you can access the hidden folder of the app, so to copy the scale files is much more easy than sharing them via email.

Wilsonic can also export its scale files to be used in Audiokit Synth One.

By the way, enjoy the Superbooth! I feel jealous, playing with all these weird Eurorack modules. The Soma Laboratory stand should be something.

• Thanks for the tipps regarding Scala. I will check it out. Yeah, Soma Labs was very busy, but there was plenty of time with devices at the manufacturer booths, too. Polyend has about 5 or 6 Play devices to try. Moog is always generous at Superbooth with many devices to play around with. The countless stands of smaller module developers. It’s a shame that Apple doesn’t do a booth. It wouldn’t have to be big. Also Ableton’s booth is just a big table with 4 workstations. Why not showing Logic and Garage Band and also some iPads?

Because he has many fans here in the forum, a picture of Hainbachs‘s show.

• @krassmann said:
    Yesterday I attended Superbooth. It was a day packed full of amazing things. Hainbach gave an fascinating introduction to Stockhausen‘s early 60s electronic music making including live tape looping. The unique rough sounds of the Motor Synth mk II. The Polyend Play. But for me the most remarkable device I’ve seen was Eventide’s Misha.

Eventide doing Eurorack modules? I wasn’t aware of that. Misha is a truly different approach to music making. It generates CV, Midi and also sound in combination with another module that was sitting next to it in a minimal rack just enough to host both modules. The most remarkable thing about Misha is it’s keyboard and the way to play music with it. They keyboard isn‘t absolute. Each key is a relative value to the last played note in the selected scale. The keys range from -4 to +4 and obviously you don‘t get the same note when you hit the same key twice (except the 0 key). First this is quite mind boggling but it is very enjoyable. You are playing intervals instead of notes.

It has 100 scales built in and you can import 100 more scales of your own. For that it reads scale definition files in an expression language called Scala. These scales can be micro tonal. It also has a sequencer that can also sequence chords. It’s a really different way of playing with surprisingly different results. The guys said that they are also thinking about a desktop model. The price tag of 600 USD seems to be quite high, though. I would really like to have an app for that which shouldn’t be too difficult - most likely doable with Drambo, too 😉

This one is an even more hands-on candidate for Drambo emulation:

https://www.stochasticinstruments.com/product-page/stochastic-inspiration-generator

• @krassmann wrote:

The keys range from -4 to +4 and obviously you don‘t get the same note when you hit the same key twice (except the 0 key). First this is quite mind boggling but it is very enjoyable. You are playing intervals instead of notes.

I tried making a pad layout in Moziac that generates midi notes using this scheme. It is a nice idea for generating melodies. I'm using a Note on for pad down and note off for pad up
    and it seems responsive. It would be nice to see this layout scheme added to other GUI based apps like Geoschred. I have only implement the Major scale so far.

• _ki_ki
    edited May 2022

@McD I‘ve been playing around with the same idea as i didn‘t try it out on SuperBooth :)

• @_ki said:
    @McD I‘ve been playing around with the same idea as i didn‘t try it out on SuperBooth :)

I was hoping you'd take a swing at the idea! You will insure a quality implementation.
    It was a nice programming problem for me to get my head back into Mozaic coding on
    a new iPad with the smart keyboard.

I'm flirting with the workflow of editing in a-shell and moving the code over to Mozaic with Textastic as a middle ground. A-shell doesn't have Cut and Paste as a feature but it saves files to an exposed local directory. I've been looking for a solid Vi editor and at this point I have 4 choices but none do cut and paste easily. Go figure.

We should move this discussion over to a "Mozaic Request App" thread. I could see @wim getting the same idea and making an excellent Pad based implementation.

• edited May 2022

Cool! I was hoping you guys would get into this. I think it is perfectly doable with Mozaic. In my opinion it would be great to have Midi input additionally to the UI buttons so you can make use of the expressions that keyboards or pad controllers offer. Moreover you could use just any existing sequencer to record and playback the patterns. Probably a decent set of scales could be taken from another script.

• edited May 2022

Mozaic seems like the best tool for the job.

In case anyone wants to do something like that in Drambo, here's a patch with a step sequencer in that you can move forward and backwards using buttons. The Gate+Velocity Sequencer would hold the scale and you'd add as many of them as you want on the way to achieve something like Misha.

https://patchstorage.com/step-sequencer-with-manual-forward-and-reverse-buttons/