Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Usb drive Files App Buggy?

Finding the files app extremely buggy when trying to import/export audio samples on a usb drive. Everything is formatted correctly. Using a ipad air (3) with lighting CCK with power. It recognizes the usb stick and sort of works correctly until trying to add or delete files, then super buggy.
Wondering if a newer usb C ipad would make a difference? Also if using a powered usb hub would help or any other advice.
-thx

Comments

• What brand of USB drive are you using, what model and generation of iPad and operating system?

• Everything is legit, proper power etc and all sort-of works.
    Scan disk, ipad air 3 latest ios.
    When using files app the usb drive will sometimes freeze up or not allow me to delete/add files. Sometimes it may seem to work properly but after taking the usb drive out and then back in, the files shown are not reflecting previous changes.

• @hibjshop said:
    Everything is legit, proper power etc and all sort-of works.
    When using files app the usb drive will sometimes freeze up or not allow me to delete/add files. Sometimes it may seem to work properly but after taking the usb drive out and then back in, the files shown are not reflecting previous changes.

I’ve had the same issue with my iPad Air 4 and a Sandisk Extreme USB-C drive so I think it’s an Apple/iOS/Files App problem. Sometimes it works perfectly and other times it does what you’re describing. I haven’t quite figured out the issue but I’ve started shutting down the iPad before disconnecting the drive and that seems to help. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• @mtenk said:

@hibjshop said:
    Everything is legit, proper power etc and all sort-of works.

I’ve had the same issue with my iPad Air 4 and a Sandisk Extreme USB-C drive so I think it’s an Apple/iOS/Files App problem. Sometimes it works perfectly and other times it does what you’re describing. I haven’t quite figured out the issue but I’ve started shutting down the iPad before disconnecting the drive and that seems to help. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Glad Im not alone. Yes I found that closing the files app is a must before removing the usb drive (risk corrupting files, which I’ve done). Agreed, sometimes it works no problems but others times it’s got me red and unboxing the desktop.

• My M1 Pro with a Samsung T7 (usb c) works amazingly well. Any USB drive I tried on base models or olde 2017 ipad pro was terribly buggy.

• @AudioGus said:
    My M1 Pro with a Samsung T7 (usb c) works amazingly well. Any USB drive I tried on base models or olde 2017 ipad pro was terribly buggy.

Good to know, thx. Been thinking of updating my ipad, but was fearing it may provide no solution to this issue.

• @AudioGus are you using a powered hub?

• Not AudioGus but I guess I should mention that I’m NOT using a hub with my Air 4 and USB-C drive. I just plug it in and it powers up (which is great when it works properly).

• edited May 2022

@hibjshop said:
    @AudioGus are you using a powered hub?

No hub, I just plug it in and it works even faster than with my new (non usb c) windows desktop. For editing lumafusion videos it feels just as fast as internal ipad storage for me. Amazing!

• @AudioGus hey do you think the ipad Air m1 would help my issue?
    The air models have worked well for me over the years but considering a pro if it helps alleviates such problems.

• edited May 2022

@hibjshop said:
    @AudioGus hey do you think the ipad Air m1 would help my issue?
    The air models have worked well for me over the years but considering a pro if it helps alleviates such problems.

I am by no means an expert but my gut tells me that usb c has been the real key to it working well and the way apple thinks i bet they are doubling down on just everything becoming usb c one day and not really putting much effort into helping and fixing lightning issues. They tend to be 'brave' jerks that way.

• edited May 2022

When moving something large I make sure to turn off the sleep screen function in settings, so the screen stays on the whole time with no interruptions. A couple times I have noticed an issue transferring, but I tried a second time and it worked.

Edit. The only issue I had was an incomplete move, it happened only 2 times, and as mentioned above worked with the second try.

• edited May 2022

My Sandisk was temperamental on my old iPad 6. Last year I purchased an iPad m1 with more storage so I don’t use the Sandisk as much, but seems to be more stable. In addition I have a mini SSD that works well, but like the Sandisk has its moments. I wouldn’t be surprised if the issue is combination of power consumption and operating system power management.

• @AudioGus said:
    My M1 Pro with a Samsung T7 (usb c) works amazingly well. Any USB drive I tried on base models or olde 2017 ipad pro was terribly buggy.

I bought the Samsung T5 because there were many reports of overheating in the T7. The T5 transfers data a little slower, but it's also why it doesn't get hot so quickly.

• @NeuM said:

@AudioGus said:

I bought the Samsung T5 because there were many reports of overheating in the T7. The T5 transfers data a little slower, but it's also why it doesn't get hot so quickly.

Hmm, I have not had any heat issues yet but maybe i am just using it in small bursts. It is so fast it doesnt get used for very long.

• @AudioGus said:

Ditto, not single issue at all so far.

• @AudioGus said:

@NeuM said:

@AudioGus said:

Hmm, I have not had any heat issues yet but maybe i am just using it in small bursts. It is so fast it doesnt get used for very long.

Perhaps they solved the heat problem, which was happening a few years ago and it was the only reason I didn't get the T7 at the time.

• Interesting, had't heard about the heat issue and I've been using six T7's since they came out. No issues here FWIW, mine barely get warm under heavy use.