Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Percussive Synth by Vadym Rostok

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1586110300

Description:

Percussive Synth will accompany you while you jam, be your groove experimentation space, or be your source of recording material you may export and mix in a DAW.

The app consists of the sequencer and the synths engine:

SEQUENCER
A rhythm or a melody can be created using the sequencer. Tap notes into one of the four tracks, one track for each voice of the synthesizer.
Each synthesizer voice has a completely independent set of parameter values, so you get four different synths playing polyphony.
One cool feature of the sequencer is the ability to switch between straight and odd subdivisions - a note can be one-fourth of the bar, but also one-sixth, and one-tenth. Also, notes can overlap and re-trigger after overlap ends, which allows for creating weird rhythms when used with odd subdivisions. And if you're into drone music - BPM can go over 9000.

SYNTHS
The basis of each voice is two oscillators and a white noise generator. Each oscillator can produce a square or saw wave shape.
The second oscillator's frequency can be discretely shifted from -2 to +2 octaves, or smoothly offset using the "osc2 freq" knob.
Oscillators' frequency can glide to a higher or a lower value - "decay time" will set the duration of this glide, and "decay amt" the frequency destination - it's quantized to octaves and fifths.
A mix of these sound sources goes into the low-pass filter.
The filter's cut-off frequency can be dynamically controlled by ADSR (attack, decay, sustain, release) module.
The amount and direction of this control are set by the "env" knob.
The second ADSR module controls the volume envelope.

OTHER FEATURES

• Sequencer and synths modules have separate preset managers and separate undo histories
  • Audio can be recorded and exported as .wav files from the app
  • Recording's start and end time can be quantized to the sequencer transport's start and stop
  • Single synth voice can be used as an AUv3 AudioUnit
  • MIDI io, CC mapping
  • Export preset files
  • Toggle between quadratic and linear ADSR
  • Toggle velocity sensitivity in knobs

Details:
Universal: Yes
Minimum OS version: 12
Rated: 0 based on 0 votes

Comments

• looks good!:)
    if any1 gets it, pls share audio/video
    I couldnt find any...:)

• I think this it. There’s a few short vids on this account

• This one got me curious

• Curious also
    Like the sequencer built into the synth
    Would like to see, hear more before parting with cash….
    Times are hard
    Did I read that only 1 voice in av3?
    Can you add more In AUM and then have a 4 voices ?

• Single synth voice can be used as an AUv3 AudioUnit

What this means?

• ‘Single synth voice can be used as an AUv3 AudioUnit’

That’s what it states in app description

• The synth engine feels way, way too 'basic'.
    No FM or Ring/Sync options which are very handy for percussive sounds.

I know what I will be using instead of this...

• @Samu said:
    The synth engine feels way, way too 'basic'.

Tera? Or Drambo? 👻

• @Gavinski said:

@Samu said:
    The synth engine feels way, way too 'basic'.

Tera? Or Drambo? 👻

Starts with a D :sunglasses:

• Hmmm interesting. Sounds good based on the videos on the App Store. Looks a little basic and the “one voice as an AUV3” is concerning. Still might take the dive on it. Anyone else tried it?

• My main hesitations with this one are the oscillator shapes and the filter: only square and saw for the oscillators and no triangle / sine (which I often employ). And it’s unclear if the filter is only one type as opposed to lowcut / bandpass / highcut options.

This is a case of the developer’s roadmap making or breaking some initial sales (I believe).

All that said I’m still tempted cos drum synth addict.

• @Proppa said:
    My main hesitations with this one are the oscillator shapes and the filter: only square and saw for the oscillators and no triangle / sine (which I often employ). And it’s unclear if the filter is only one type as opposed to lowcut / bandpass / highcut options.

This is a case of the developer’s roadmap making or breaking some initial sales (I believe).

All that said I’m still tempted cos drum synth addict.

You hit the nail on the head. I hope some FM/ring mod type stuff will be added. The apple descriptions seems to imply it will be devolved further so I might take a chance. Like you I’m also a drum machine addict. I have almost every one on the App Store.

• Hello!

I'm the creator of this app. Thank you for your attention to Percussive Synth!
    You can read the manual and the quick start guide here - https://percussive-synth.rocks/

Can you add more In AUM and then have 4 voices?

Yes, you can add as many AU instances as you'd like.

I see that the limit to one voice in AUv3 causes confusion, so I'm not sure if it was the right decision.
    In the standalone app, you can play only one note at a time, so you have only one voice for each synth. In the sequencer, you can have multiple notes overlapping, but they re-trigger the same note, so each synth is monophonic.
    I use the same code base for the audio engine in the standalone app and in AU.
    So this limitation of one voice per since is present in AU.
    I could allow AU to play multiple synths, but I thought that it'd be unintuitive to use multiple synths that act as multiple voices of one synth that sound differently.
    It'd probably be better to allow multiple voices to play polyphonically in AU, I'll plan it for a future release...

Unfortunately, there's a known bug in AU interface - dropdowns don't work, so you can't change wave shape or the second oscillator's octave. It will be fixed in the upcoming release, as well as allowing multiple voices in AU, hopefully by the end of the next week.

Actually, I believe that decay time and decay amount params are a simple implementation of frequency modulation.
    As for the ring modulation - thank you for the idea, I'll look into it.
    Not sure what you've meant by "Sync"...

My main hesitations with this one are the oscillator shapes and the filter: only square and saw for the oscillators and no triangle / sine (which I often employ).

I'll consider adding sine, it'll be easy, as for the triangle - I think it's also doable...
    Thanks!

And it’s unclear if the filter is only one type as opposed to lowcut / bandpass / highcut options.

Only low-cut for now.

Thank you for the reviews, even though a lot of it is only judged by description - it is still very important information.

Let me work on the new release and I'll post here an update and give away a couple of promo codes for you to check the new version out.

• @vadymrostok said:
    Hello!

I'm the creator of this app. Thank you for your attention to Percussive Synth!
    You can read the manual and the quick start guide here - https://percussive-synth.rocks/

Can you add more In AUM and then have 4 voices?

Yes, you can add as many AU instances as you'd like.

I see that the limit to one voice in AUv3 causes confusion, so I'm not sure if it was the right decision.
    In the standalone app, you can play only one note at a time, so you have only one voice for each synth. In the sequencer, you can have multiple notes overlapping, but they re-trigger the same note, so each synth is monophonic.
    I use the same code base for the audio engine in the standalone app and in AU.
    So this limitation of one voice per since is present in AU.
    I could allow AU to play multiple synths, but I thought that it'd be unintuitive to use multiple synths that act as multiple voices of one synth that sound differently.
    It'd probably be better to allow multiple voices to play polyphonically in AU, I'll plan it for a future release...

Unfortunately, there's a known bug in AU interface - dropdowns don't work, so you can't change wave shape or the second oscillator's octave. It will be fixed in the upcoming release, as well as allowing multiple voices in AU, hopefully by the end of the next week.

Actually, I believe that decay time and decay amount params are a simple implementation of frequency modulation.
    As for the ring modulation - thank you for the idea, I'll look into it.
    Not sure what you've meant by "Sync"...

My main hesitations with this one are the oscillator shapes and the filter: only square and saw for the oscillators and no triangle / sine (which I often employ).

I'll consider adding sine, it'll be easy, as for the triangle - I think it's also doable...
    Thanks!

And it’s unclear if the filter is only one type as opposed to lowcut / bandpass / highcut options.

Only low-cut for now.

Thank you for the reviews, even though a lot of it is only judged by description - it is still very important information.

Let me work on the new release and I'll post here an update and give away a couple of promo codes for you to check the new version out.

Hey thanks for stopping by and clearing everything up! It looks like a really interesting app and by all accounts seems to sound great! Looking forward to the new update, I’m a sucker for drum machines.

• Yeah, it looks interesting, I’ve definitely got my eye on it…

• @eylvy said:

Sounds great! How are you liking it?

• I caved and bought this one and Zero regrets: it is truly unto itself in practice and rewards instantly.

Disclaimer: one must be into the idea of off the grid music making here and speaking of that the sequencer will either be heaven or heck depending on your disposition (I find it 100% the former).

Immediate pluses include note/pitch displayed within oscillators, ability to save/load sound sets and sequencer patterns independently, overall nature of the sound which feels greater than the sum of the parts (ie: it’s easy to arrive at many “ah Ha!” moments while tweaking). Closer to modular exploration than straight ahead drum machine and blissfully so - thank you for this one @vadymrostok !

• @Proppa said:
    I caved and bought this one and Zero regrets: it is truly unto itself in practice and rewards instantly.

Disclaimer: one must be into the idea of off the grid music making here and speaking of that the sequencer will either be heaven or heck depending on your disposition (I find it 100% the former).

Immediate pluses include note/pitch displayed within oscillators, ability to save/load sound sets and sequencer patterns independently, overall nature of the sound which feels greater than the sum of the parts (ie: it’s easy to arrive at many “ah Ha!” moments while tweaking). Closer to modular exploration than straight ahead drum machine and blissfully so - thank you for this one @vadymrostok !

Well I think you just sold me. Gonna take a dive and see what’s what. Thanks!

• edited May 2022

Alright took the plunge and yep, it’s a lot of fun so far. Unique sequencer implementation as well. However, can’t figure out how to change to note of each individual step, or if that’s even possible. Would be great for synth melodies.

Things I love about it:

The bpm can go from 6 to 9999 which makes from some great drones.

The gain adds a lot of colorful distortion.

The filter and oscillators sound great.

The interface is easy to navigate.

And the sequencer is fun.

Very happy with it overall. Totally worth the $7.99, imo.

• @HotStrange said:

@eylvy said:

Sounds great! How are you liking it?

It's nice to tweak the sounds and jam with, I probably won't use it that much though. A nice thing you also mentioned on thsi thread is that it can go to 9999 bpm, which makes drum patterns sound drone-y.

• edited May 2022

You had me at 9999 bpm… and it goes down to 6bpm. Bought. :)

Definitely a kind of experimental thing. (I think @iOSTRAKON might like some of the heavier sound presets here.) Functional as is, but has scope for a lot more potential. Clearly a responsive dev, to be encouraged, hence the purchase. Gonna be good for Doom Drums and drones, as is, I think, but excited to see where this could go eventually. Sugar Bytes’ Drum Computer had some experimental style tweakability but inside a drum machine paradigm I didn’t find compelling, and the other analog drum synth one I’d’ve really like to have got into (had graphical envelope, which was cool, name escapes me) never made it beyond IAA, so: high hopes and all that! :)

@vadymrostok : I love the extreme tempo control, but it would be handy to have Ableton Link / Transport control at least as an option for the AU instance (I’m only ever going to use it in AUM.) And I’m fully in favour of the other suggestions made above re more waveforms/filter options.

Also, and this is always there for me: can you please expose all the on screen knob parameters as MIDI CC targets so I can use MIDILFOs to waggle them? That would really help.

Further ahead: rubber band /cut/copy/paste/drag for events on the sequencer timeline?

But… a great start! Thanks :)

• I didn't expect such an overwhelmingly positive response as some of you have shared here.
    Thank you! Especially @HotStrange, @Proppa, @Svetlovska
    That's some really strong motivation for me to refine and improve the app!

I've taken the easiest tasks from the planned changes and implemented them today.
    Most importantly it is the fix for dropdowns in AU, allowing up to 8 voices to play polyphonically in AU, and adding triangle and sine wave shapes.
    I submitted the new version to the app store and the review went surprisingly fast, it's actually live now, version 1.1.

PM me to get a promo code, I'll share 5 today. Even if you already bought the app - I can give you a promo code so you could give it to someone else :)

My next target would be adding Abelton link integration, ring modulation, and adding sequencer as a separate AudioUnit. After that - I'll add automation and the ability to use different pitches for different notes. Both releases will probably take a lot of time, I'll write an update note here when the time will come.

can you please expose all the on screen knob parameters as MIDI CC targets

They are exposed, but I didn't prepare documentation for that.
    And there are a lot of limitations. I guess I'll work on that primarily, and then the rest, because most of the work there is done, it shouldn't take a lot of time...

• @vadymrostok said:
    I didn't expect such an overwhelmingly positive response as some of you have shared here.
    Thank you! Especially @HotStrange, @Proppa, @Svetlovska
    That's some really strong motivation for me to refine and improve the app!

I've taken the easiest tasks from the planned changes and implemented them today.
    Most importantly it is the fix for dropdowns in AU, allowing up to 8 voices to play polyphonically in AU, and adding triangle and sine wave shapes.
    I submitted the new version to the app store and the review went surprisingly fast, it's actually live now, version 1.1.

PM me to get a promo code, I'll share 5 today. Even if you already bought the app - I can give you a promo code so you could give it to someone else :)

My next target would be adding Abelton link integration, ring modulation, and adding sequencer as a separate AudioUnit. After that - I'll add automation and the ability to use different pitches for different notes. Both releases will probably take a lot of time, I'll write an update note here when the time will come.

can you please expose all the on screen knob parameters as MIDI CC targets

They are exposed, but I didn't prepare documentation for that.
    And there are a lot of limitations. I guess I'll work on that primarily, and then the rest, because most of the work there is done, it shouldn't take a lot of time...

This is awesome, glad to see you’re implementing those changes. Can’t wait to see what it’s it like in the future! I’m already a big fan of it, and adding those waveforms will make a big difference in the sound possibilities. Very excited for the ability to change pitch also.

Great work on the app and thanks for taking the time to stop by :)

• Great work
    Still learning
    Nice interface
    Got to put some time in
    So far so good

• @vadymrostok great to see you here and the (quick!) updates are mega appreciated.

I can’t stop playing with the app and love using Record in stand-alone for doing quick exports with live tweaks.

One feature that’d take the fun over the top for me is a dice/randomizer per voice and I say this because the “happy accident” potential would be bonkers (it already is just by manual settings but instant surprise patches would maximize the potential). Regardless thanks again for such a fun app!

• @Proppa said:
    @vadymrostok great to see you here and the (quick!) updates are mega appreciated.

I can’t stop playing with the app and love using Record in stand-alone for doing quick exports with live tweaks.

One feature that’d take the fun over the top for me is a dice/randomizer per voice and I say this because the “happy accident” potential would be bonkers (it already is just by manual settings but instant surprise patches would maximize the potential). Regardless thanks again for such a fun app!

Oh wait so you can record parameter changes too? That’s really cool.

I agree, it’s a fantastic app.

• @HotStrange said:

Yes! In standalone mode ‘Record’ is a real-time capture of what your hearing. It’s really fun to mutate a rhythm take by take.

• Positive vibes surrounding this one, and a new proactive dev welcomed into the iOS family.
    Purchased to support further development.

• @Proppa said:

@HotStrange said:

Yes! In standalone mode ‘Record’ is a real-time capture of what your hearing. It’s really fun to mutate a rhythm take by take.

That’s awesome! Time to record some drones 😈