Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

miRack — now AUv3! — for Beginners

Comments

• @wim said:

@Bob said:
    I am yet to start learning more about modular setups and patching, but MiRack looks brilliantly made.
    I was wondering if it can be used mixer wise within Cubasis to kind of overcome Cubasis lack of subgrouping, aux channels and having the send channels as audio tracks.
    I often feel limited when wanting to group my drum instruments separately within the entire drum group.
    Can we route tracks to a MiRacks Mixer for Multi Output purposes?

I'm not sure I understand. Do you want to be able to route multiple Cubasis tracks to a single miRack instance, then to be able to mix them individually within miRack, then output them back to Cubasis? If so, then no, that's not possible.

Yes, that’s about it. Thanks for letting me know, Wim.

• Hi.
    I suddenly cannot get any audio from MiRack when loaded on Audiobus.
    That’s strange because it sounds fine when loaded as stand alone.
    Anyone has had this issue?

TIA
    Paolo

• wimwim
    edited January 2022

. deleted .
    Responded to duplicate question in another thread: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/48702/no-sound-from-mirack-through-audiobus

• I know almost next-to-nothing about modular gear, but this guy has a pretty entertaining channel in which he regularly discusses synths, sound engineering and modular equipment: https://www.youtube.com/c/BennandGear

• How to midi learn miRack parameters in auv3 mode?

• @KMTGN said:
    How to midi learn miRack parameters in auv3 mode?

Just send MIDI CC messages to the miRack AUv3 and while doing that, enable MIDI Learn. Works here when hosted in Drambo.

• Definitely finding the idea of miRack very alluring.

I've wanted to understand modular for a while, just not enough that it ever became a priority. But - and this probably sounds like a dumb reason - the pen and tablet interface for makes it seem more direct and accessible. More than that, the idea of whiling away the hours, under the shade of a tree, drawing connections in order to have the tablet make music for/at me seems pretty damned meditative (at least it might be after having navigated the leaning-curve).

• You’re right @el_bo , the touch interface is rally nice with mirack, as it feels very intuitive to plug and unplug stuff with your finger. I’ve never used the pen with it though, but I’m sure it’ll be almost as good. And as you say, meditating under a tree while a few modules interact in some sort of fugue is definitely the vibe 😁

You never run out of cables either, especially the long ones 😅

• @Krupa said:
    You’re right @el_bo , the touch interface is rally nice with mirack, as it feels very intuitive to plug and unplug stuff with your finger. I’ve never used the pen with it though, but I’m sure it’ll be almost as good. And as you say, meditating under a tree while a few modules interact in some sort of fugue is definitely the vibe 😁

Haha! yes...cables ;) Am I right in thinking they can be made more transparent, allowing easier knob-fiddling?

Good to know it's very good with finger-touch. My assumption is there'd be no real difference with the pencil, except for being able to better see what's being manipulated (If you've sausage-fingers like me, anyway).

• @el_bo said:

@Krupa said:
    You’re right @el_bo , the touch interface is rally nice with mirack, as it feels very intuitive to plug and unplug stuff with your finger. I’ve never used the pen with it though, but I’m sure it’ll be almost as good. And as you say, meditating under a tree while a few modules interact in some sort of fugue is definitely the vibe 😁

Haha! yes...cables ;) Am I right in thinking they can be made more transparent, allowing easier knob-fiddling?

Good to know it's very good with finger-touch. My assumption is there'd be no real difference with the pencil, except for being able to better see what's being manipulated (If you've sausage-fingers like me, anyway).

I think you can make the cables invisible as an interface option, you can lock the modules in place as well once you’re happy with the layout and don’t want to keep grabbing them with the aforementioned sausages 😁

• @rs2000 said:

@KMTGN said:

Just send MIDI CC messages to the miRack AUv3 and while doing that, enable MIDI Learn. Works here when hosted in Drambo.

But this way not working in AUM

• @Krupa said:

@el_bo said:

@Krupa said:

I think you can make the cables invisible as an interface option, you can lock the modules in place as well once you’re happy with the layout and don’t want to keep grabbing them with the aforementioned sausages 😁

I think invisible would be good once everything is set, and it's all about the knob-tweaking. But I was curious as to whether the opacity could be set while designing, so as to still show the connections but not have them get in the way.

• @el_bo said:

@Krupa said:

@el_bo said:

@Krupa said:

I think invisible would be good once everything is set, and it's all about the knob-tweaking. But I was curious as to whether the opacity could be set while designing, so as to still show the connections but not have them get in the way.

Actually, you can set them to whatever opacity you like while you work, I’d forgotten but just checked

• @KMTGN said:

@rs2000 said:

@KMTGN said:

Right, disclaimer from the start: I haven’t done this, and I was initially working from memory, as I’m about to hit the sack! I’ve just loaded MiRack in AUM, though and what follows looks correct, though hopefully someone with more of a clue will come along and clarify.

In AU mode you have a set of 32 parameters that are exposed to AUM, and you have to map controls within MiRack to this parameter set that’s externally visible. This is because your patch may have all sorts of combinations of modules in it, so the AU can’t just expose things automatically.

In AU mode, you have a toolbar button called MAP. You press this and mappable controls are outlined in red. When you tap one, a pop-up allows you to assign it to one of the numbered parameters.

Once that’s done, you can then use AUM's MIDI mapping to map a controller to the parameters you’ve assigned to controls.

Hope this helps, or at least gives you a helpful pointer.

• @el_bo said:

@Krupa said:

It’s the sausage fingers thing that makes the pencil really useful - I find it much more accurate, and because you can operate smaller controls you don’t have to zoom in and out as much.

• @KMTGN said:

@rs2000 said:

@KMTGN said:

Another way you can automate miRack with CC’s is using the MIDI CC In module. See the screen-shot below, which does nothing but adjust the volume of an oscillator as an example. To set the MIDI CC to listen for, tap the “Configure” button, then you can either set the CC number or use midi learn. Then, just route to whatever it is you want to control.

Conceptually this might be a little easier to get your head around than using AUv3 parameter automation. It has the added advantage of being portable between hosts and standalone without having to redo mapping.

• @Krupa said:
    Actually, you can set them to whatever opacity you like while you work, I’d forgotten but just checked

Thanks!

Thought that might be the case. I seemed to remember that from experimenting with VCV, years ago. Good that it's still a feature :)

• @bygjohn said:
    It’s the sausage fingers thing that makes the pencil really useful - I find it much more accurate, and because you can operate smaller controls you don’t have to zoom in and out as much.

I'm finding that to generally be the case with iOS instruments. But playing around with Model 15, yesterday, i really noticed how patching was made pretty difficult due tot he sockets being obscured by my finger.

• @wim said:

@KMTGN said:

@rs2000 said:

@KMTGN said:

Another way you can automate miRack with CC’s is using the MIDI CC In module. See the screen-shot below, which does nothing but adjust the volume of an oscillator as an example. To set the MIDI CC to listen for, tap the “Configure” button, then you can either set the CC number or use midi learn. Then, just route to whatever it is you want to control.

Conceptually this might be a little easier to get your head around than using AUv3 parameter automation. It has the added advantage of being portable between hosts and standalone without having to redo mapping.

Thanks for this tip: much more elegant and portable.

• I’ve always been fascinated by modular stuff (hell I freaking LOVE Ripplemaker which is one of my go tos) …but I cannot imagine this being that usable on my phone due to screen size. When I get an iPad though I think that will change !

• @Fear2Stop said:
    I’ve always been fascinated by modular stuff (hell I freaking LOVE Ripplemaker which is one of my go tos) …but I cannot imagine this being that usable on my phone due to screen size. When I get an iPad though I think that will change !

I did use it on an iPhone before I got an iPad. For big patches it's a pita, but using the midifxau to use the sequencers for example is doable and quite fun.

• tip:
    I make my MiRack patches on mac or on iPad,
    I assign the controller and
    I load and use them on iPhone:)

btw
    MiRack huge update comming soon:)

• @waka_x said:
    tip:
    I make my MiRack patches on mac or on iPad,
    I assign the controller and
    I load and use them on iPhone:)

btw

Intriguing, I guess I fell off the beta list, there wasn’ta new one for so long I had to reinstall the store version…

• @waka_x said:

btw

Ooh, that sounds good. Could you hint, if it's about new modules, or if it's more of a workflow update, maybe the way voices are handled?

Either way, I'm sure it will be nice.

• edited April 2023

@tyslothrop1 said:

@waka_x said:

btw

Ooh, that sounds good. Could you hint, if it's about new modules, or if it's more of a workflow update, maybe the way voices are handled?

Either way, I'm sure it will be nice.

Oooh looking forward to this and wondering what it is! Polyphony would be great indeed

• Yeah, curious as well on update. Haven't seen a beta either. Was something posted on Twitter?

• edited September 2023

v3.73!

• Great update! New modules 😍