Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OP-1 feature discussion thread (no $ talk, please!)

edited May 2022 in Other

There are plenty of other places to talk about the price. Please, do not mention that here :) 👍

This thing looks pretty great. I have the original, and I like it, but I kind of stopped using it because of the audio quality. My music is sample-based. I like to chop samples. I don't care for stereo synth tracks because I can just pan them, but for samples I prefer not to lose the stereo aspect of field recordings.

The USB audio interface compatibility is also very interesting.

But the sequencers, and the hard-to-understand synths are still just as opaque to me.

What kinds of things might we be able to do with this that we can't do with the current one?

Comments

• edited May 2022

I haven’t gone too deep into the features because I’ll realistically never be able to get one, but I’m really interested in the multiple Tape modes. One is called Porta, which calls to mind my old Tascam. The original OP-1’s Tape track is unique in a day and age where so many of us work in MIDI until the last possible second.

• It looks like a legit tape recorder now, too, especially with FX on external inputs. It would even make a good looper.

• Just being able to have multiple Tapes stored at once is a HUGE update. With the original you could really only work on one song at a time unless you stored and reloaded them from a computer. At least not without doing weird things like using the end of a tape for a different song, which was a bit of a PITA too given the short time limits per tape.

Also the new stereo signal path, effects, samples, and synths is massive. I loved the UI and fun nature of composing on the first OP-1, but it just sounded kind of thin and one dimensional to me. The OP-Z came out and was soooo much better in this regard, it will be nice to have proper sounding productions with the same sound quality.

Those two things were the main reason I sold my OP-1, though at the same time I’ve regretted it now and then too and was considering getting another one eventually. This new update sealed the deal.

• As the midlife synthesist chap pointed out, I wish TE had sent these out to the people who got me into the OG: Red Means Recording, Cuckoo, Andrew Huang, Heymun. I want to hear what they can get out of it. I sold my OP-1 and bought an OP-Z. No regrets - it's my favourite piece of gear. But, as @Tarekith says, being able to have eight projects on the go is a huge deal. Plus stereo... and the sound itself is (admittedly, with limited examples so far) stunning.
    If I come into some money (not going to derail this thread), I'd be very, very interested in this, particularly if it integrates seamlessly with the Z.

• So I've learned over the years to think of OP1 as my inspirational sketch pad. It truly has been the surest way to get closer to creating a song. But only a sketch,and only for a few minutes. Even 6 minutes becomes super-tedious for me, due to no bookmarks or undo or insert, etc. The TAPE has been the defining and limitation innovation feature.

SO my question.....

Has the new TAPE given us a plausible means to create a full song without pulling our hair out? Or should we still consider OP1 only practical for a few minutes before you hit the DAW? (In my case, the Tascam DP24.)

• edited May 2022

I'm tempted, my birthday is coming up, and I just started a new job and have a juicy bonus.

Following this thread even though it might end up stealing from my Jazzmaster fund...

The multitape feature is a huge improvement for me. I ain't gonna lie, USB-C is a very nice upgrade, too. I'm so tired of juggling multiple generations of cables.

• I am curious about the potential of using it as an FM broadcaster for smaller area events. Either for onboard stuff or what really intrigues me, using it as a router for external inputs to immediate FM broadcasting. That would be a fun way to put on stuff like silent raves (albeit with an FM broadcast quality).

As well, the ability to immediately sample your own stuff in FM broadcast quality sounds fun.

• @Tarekith said:

Those two things were the main reason I sold my OP-1, though at the same time I’ve regretted it now and then too and was considering getting another one eventually. This new update sealed the deal.

So you ordered one? Nice. Looking forward to hearing your opinion.

I also like that the Field looks to have better MIDI. That’s definitely a bonus, as I use mine with the Z quite often. I think the only thing missing for me is a velocity sensitive keyboard. It makes such a difference to the expressiveness. I heard that one is coming in software, like the one in iPad Garageband, which is cool. I wonder how good it will be.

• Haven't seen it yet, but Gaz from Sonic State sees the new OP1 here...

https://youtu.be/TUOtz7l3I9Y

• It did mention extended sampling time, yet In the documentation the graphic shows 6 seconds. Im wondering if the extended sampling only applies to the drum sampler?

• Why is cost not an item of discussion? It’s ALWAYS a consideration. Decisions are not made in a vacuum.

• @NeuM said:
    Why is cost not an item of discussion? It’s ALWAYS a consideration. Decisions are not made in a vacuum.

I agree cost is an item of discussion and seemingly dominates every threads discussion of the new OP-1 field. I think since there are so many other outlets to discuss TE’s pricing decisions. The originator of this post was just looking to talk about features rather than have it devolve in pages of pages of the same posts about the price.

• i wonder if they shed weight/cheapened out on the new one. I wasn't a fan of the original at all, but it felt great in your hand. You could easily bludgeon a few people to death with it before it broke. (not the keys..those things would come off in a second)

• @mistercharlie said:

@Tarekith said:

So you ordered one? Nice. Looking forward to hearing your opinion.

Haven't ordered yet, they're already 45 days backordered so I'll wait until some people start receiving theirs first. Just to be sure.

• @CalCutta said:
    I am curious about the potential of using it as an FM broadcaster for smaller area events. Either for onboard stuff or what really intrigues me, using it as a router for external inputs to immediate FM broadcasting. That would be a fun way to put on stuff like silent raves (albeit with an FM broadcast quality).

As well, the ability to immediately sample your own stuff in FM broadcast quality sounds fun.

In the Sonic State review linked above TE says that it's a pretty lower power transmitter to comply with different broadcast regulations around the world. Sounded like the range might only be a dozen feet or so.

• does it only transmit as long as you are turning the crank?

• I absolutely love my OP-1. It’s my favorite piece of gear I’ve ever owned, despite all of its shortcomings. I can definitely see myself getting this but I don’t see myself getting it any time this summer. I’m going to wait a few months, see if there are any major bugs, see what everyone says about it, and then make my decision from there. Maybe a Christmas present to myself.

It looks very cool and the new features are worth it (to me).

• Yeah, if I get it, which I doubt because I’m waiting for an OP-Z Field, I’d buy from Thomann with its 3-year warranty.

• Nice jam here

• @Tarekith said:

@CalCutta said:
    I am curious about the potential of using it as an FM broadcaster for smaller area events. Either for onboard stuff or what really intrigues me, using it as a router for external inputs to immediate FM broadcasting. That would be a fun way to put on stuff like silent raves (albeit with an FM broadcast quality).

In the Sonic State review linked above TE says that it's a pretty lower power transmitter to comply with different broadcast regulations around the world. Sounded like the range might only be a dozen feet or so.

Thanks. That's unfortunate (if expected). All kinds of legal ramifications. The small range still allows for sampling whatever you want in an FM broadcast signal.

• edited May 2022

What is the audio interface compatibility mistercharlie mentioned? Doesn’t the og OP-1 have that? I sample ipad audio into it through usb pretty regularly (although the way iOS forces interfaces to be the input and output is annoying).

• @CalCutta said:

@Tarekith said:

@CalCutta said:

Thanks. That's unfortunate (if expected). All kinds of legal ramifications. The small range still allows for sampling whatever you want in an FM broadcast signal.

You could do that in the original op-1 too btw.

• @raindro said:
    What is the audio interface compatibility mistercharlie mentioned? Doesn’t the og OP-1 have that? I sample ipad audio into it through usb pretty regularly (although the way iOS forces interfaces to be the input and output is annoying).

The new op-1 field can be a usb host, you so can plug an audio interface into it if you wanted to. Pretty rare function in gear to be honest, and no the first op1 did not do that.

• Okay thanks that is pretty sweet.

Is it just me or would having a recording threshold on the tape track be super helpful? Ie armed recording that waits for you to start playing.

• @Tarekith said:

@CalCutta said:

@Tarekith said:

@CalCutta said:

Wait, you can put your own material in an FM broadcast format on the original OP-1? I know there's a tuner on the OP-1 but that's limited to what's already on the airwaves.

I'm talking about taking your own music (made inside or outside the OP-1), broadcasting it out of an OP-1 via-FM, picking it up on a tuner elsewhere, and sampling that.

• @CalCutta said:

@Tarekith said:

@CalCutta said:

@Tarekith said:

@CalCutta said:

Wait, you can put your own material in an FM broadcast format on the original OP-1? I know there's a tuner on the OP-1 but that's limited to what's already on the airwaves.

I'm talking about taking your own music (made inside or outside the OP-1), broadcasting it out of an OP-1 via-FM, picking it up on a tuner elsewhere, and sampling that.

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were asking if it could sample FROM an FM broadcast.

• @Tarekith said:

@CalCutta said:

@Tarekith said:

@CalCutta said:

@Tarekith said:

@CalCutta said:

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were asking if it could sample FROM an FM broadcast.

Ah gotcha. Sorry for lack of clarity. This conversation is making me window shop FM tuners with balanced outs again... :smile:

• @Tarekith said:

@raindro said:

The new op-1 field can be a usb host, you so can plug an audio interface into it if you wanted to. Pretty rare function in gear to be honest, and no the first op1 did not do that.

This part looks really wild. For instance, you could connect OP-1 F and a Digitakt together via usb cable, and send audio (and midi) back and forth, digitally.

• Welcome to the gilded age!

• I’m watching a video someone posted above and I hear them say it’s not velocity sensitive? What?!! I never cared for the original but I guess that one was also not velocity sensitive. For something that has a feature that cannot me mentioned that is crazy. Can you plug a MIDI keyboard into the USB? And does it respond to velocity there? That wouldn’t be so bad as poking those tiny keys won’t work for long anyway.