Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New app fron sonicLAB: Starwaves

Comments

• Casual Vasiliev sounds like my bag for shure 👍

• @Pynchon said:

@yaosichen said:

@enkaytee said:

@yaosichen said:
    It doesn’t make No sound on my iPad m1 11

Have you pressed the 'off' button at the bottom left of the screen? This turns to 'on' when the sound plays.

Thank you ,I did and the app works on my iPad mini, no luck with iPad m1 after many time reinstall reboot etc made me a little sad

I'm on an iPad M1 with 8GBs of RAM, for me it works perfectly.

Pretty great app. More than Borderlands Granular, this is a simplified version of SoundScaper by Igor Vasiliev. Not as fancy, but with SoundScaper is possible to create even more complex interactions in a 3D space.

But regardless of this, it's cool to have a casual SoundScaper that you can program with a few knobs.

For me, this doesn’t touch Borderlands as far as personal enjoyment goes, but I do really like the app. I’m kind of biased as Borderlands is maybe my all time favorite, but both are great. I agree it’s more like Soundscaper, which is another favorite. They all 3 have their place, imo.

• @HotStrange said:

@Pynchon said:

@yaosichen said:

@enkaytee said:

@yaosichen said:

Have you pressed the 'off' button at the bottom left of the screen? This turns to 'on' when the sound plays.

Thank you ,I did and the app works on my iPad mini, no luck with iPad m1 after many time reinstall reboot etc made me a little sad

Pretty great app. More than Borderlands Granular, this is a simplified version of SoundScaper by Igor Vasiliev. Not as fancy, but with SoundScaper is possible to create even more complex interactions in a 3D space.

But regardless of this, it's cool to have a casual SoundScaper that you can program with a few knobs.

For me, this doesn’t touch Borderlands as far as personal enjoyment goes, but I do really like the app. I’m kind of biased as Borderlands is maybe my all time favorite, but both are great. I agree it’s more like Soundscaper, which is another favorite. They all 3 have their place, imo.

Borderlands is such a joy to use. I wish it had a manual, but you can’t always get what you want.

• @Pynchon said:

@skiphunt said:
    Despite my not being a fan of how this dev has supported iPad layout on his other apps... and despite my not appreciating how he handled the Hainbach collab/fiasco... Starwaves looked like something I'd love to play around with and I bought it.

So far... it's REALLY fun. I think it might be too cryptic for regular song crafter sorts of users, but for experimentation with sound and pure videogame-like interface fun... I'm diggin' it so far. :)

However... although the files app integration is straight forward on the iPad... I can't find the StarWaves direction on macOS.

I can't find where it's storying recordings on the macOS M1.

According to the manual, it's supposed to be located within user/library/applicationsupport/ etc. But there is no such directory there.

In the app, when you open presets... there's a directory path listed too... but there's no such directory on my machine.

Does anyone know exactly where StarWaves is storing recordings on the macOS desktop?

It's a bit tricky to show the files of iOS apps on Mac.

First, you need to make the hidden files visible on Finder. The simplest way of making this is to use the shortcut Shift+Command+dot (.)

Then in Users/(your username)/Library/Containers you will find all the data directories for the iOS apps.

I recommend to create an Alias to the folder that you will want to access frequently, putting this in your Documents folder.

Yes, but on the macOS this is a macOS app. It shows up as a macOS app and not merely an iOS app that happens to run on macOS.

So, the sandboxing shouldn’t be an issue. I think the developer simply didn’t bother with a way to easily access the files.

It’s not a dealbreaker for me, but it’s odd given that the rest of the app is designed fairly well.

I also agree that Borderlands and Soundscaper are excellent and similar. Although, I really like the 3D interface. It’s just really fun 🤩

For $10 to get this much tinkering game-like fun that runs on iPad and presumably native on macOS as well… it’s worth it to me. Can I do fairly close to the same and even more with Borderlands and Soundscaper? Yes.

If someone digs interesting interfaces like Mazetools and Dhalang MG… they’ll likely dig this one too.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@HotStrange said:

@Pynchon said:

@yaosichen said:

@enkaytee said:

@yaosichen said:

Borderlands is such a joy to use. I wish it had a manual, but you can’t always get what you want.

It does have a fairly helpful tips/guide though! At least it was helpful for me.

• I can’t tell if this is interesting or annoying 😁

It works well enough, but will hopefully see some polishing on both all platforms; some rational way of positioning in 3D would be good for a start - most things these days use the arrows for axes UI convention so that you can sensibly move things in three dimensions on a 2D screen.

Maybe some sort of selection lock as you can all too easily grab a platform when resetting to move an emitter.

A clear indication of what you have selected would be handy too, maybe some differentiation between the two emitters.

The rotation is weirdly handled, maybe I’m not figuring it out right but it seems to animate differently than you tweak for each axis… and again, indicating the axes with rings around the emitter would make tweaking far more usable.

It’d be great if there was a way of channeling the audio out rather than it just going to the default output, especially on desktop as routing it through other software would open up the FX possibilities beyond the relatively limited setup in the app itself.

It’s not actually that complex at all to be honest, just tricky to handle 3D on a touch screen, or any screen for that matter, I should know after thirty years of trying 😅

I should probably find a way to get this critique directly to the dev…

• they made a collage of many presets.

• I hope they’re watching their crash logs too, almost constant when I’m adding my own samples on the iPad version…

• Yeah I really like this, but it does push my 2017 pro to the limit, just usable but am getting pretty regular crashing.
    And yes you could get very similar results from a couple of Spacecraft instances, but the scenes and bouncing particles/beam give enough of an added dimension to make this one interesting and different enough by itself. :)

• On my 2020 iPad pro, it works great. But on my 2014 Ipad2 it does not launch. so I don't think you should purchase this at all for an old machine.

• On sample import in sample folder it says this folder does not exist /users
    You would have thought that one would have been made prior
    If I click the make folder a text line prompt appears but when I click done, nothing happens, strange?
    Plus why make an input box so small, tiny font sizes, throughout the programme. I am sitting in bed after a total knee replacement, Ouch, on heavy meds, too strong for normal composition I figure something like this would be right up my alley. I am now wearing thick lense specs and struggle to read the text boxes.
    Please designers be aware that many musicians have sight problems and make fully inclusive apps.

• Hmmm… I’m not having issues yet on a 10.5 Pro (2017 I think) and it runs fine on my iPad mini 5.

My import files are smallish though. And I quit out of all other apps with ONLY StarWaves running.

Latest iOS

• @skiphunt said:
    Hmmm… I’m not having issues yet on a 10.5 Pro (2017 I think) and it runs fine on my iPad mini 5.

My import files are smallish though. And I quit out of all other apps with ONLY StarWaves running.

Latest iOS

Yes, that is the way to go avoid apps running in the background.
    Despite a few odd crashes this thing is super fun to experiment with

• I have checked their website and it mentions the recommendation for a minimum iOS device. I checked the AppStore and should look close to the App description text to find it. The only directly visible information on the AppStore for apps is the minimum OS requirement.

I guess this goes to Apple. For example on PC games, we have clear description what is needed to run the game on the cover of the title, because there are so many PC configurations. There are some many iPad models now and keep coming every year. So they project a minimum OS number that the app needs ( pointless in this case ) but not the hardware, hoping that everything works everywhere. I find this not ethical.

The developer tries to express the minimum hardware requirement but Apple puts this in the background. So selling an app to a client whose hardware does not meet the minimum requirement is unethical. All these iPAD's have a fraction of memory in comparison to the desktop and people keep running / forgetting many apps in the background.

I don't know. I like this app on the iPAD , touching the screen to navigate in 3D. It is a fully experimental app, not a necessity for anyone. Like art, it delivers an experience but you can also live without it for your musical productions.

So I purchased the full bundle because it runs on my iPAD pro, having fun with it. But maybe this is not really an app which can be well hosted on iOS which limits it very much.

• After spending some quality time with this, I see this as the Piano Motifs of sampling.

Import various of your own samples. Move a few sliders randomly. Please play.

And you will get a texture with multiple layers and infinite variations based on these sounds, something that goes far beyond look mum, other granular sampler. Like Piano Motifs in the MIDI part, this thing saves you hours of complex editing in a DAW to create moving and organic sounds in the background of a track.

Something super plain and simple, no manuals needed, great for the iOS community. :D

Well played, Sinan Bokesoy.

• If I may make suggestion, and I hope that Sinan Bokesoy is listening, though I might send him a pm.
    If it were possibble to switch/swap plaform co-ordinates. Maybe a button that could swap Platform 1,s position with Platford 4. Or randomise Plaform swapping. That way whole plaforms could switch their data with each other.
    I can’t wait until Leo or Doug dive deep with Starwaves.

• Not having much sucess connecting Midi.
    Tried to connect SL Mixface, Got it to see midi port, used the appropriate CC and nothing.
    Struggling at home coc I have my knee joint replace. So cant grab controller etc

• I use it with my Komplete S61. all 8 rotary knobs configured. Check their tutorials , there is one for midi connection as well.

• @Pynchon said:
    After spending some quality time with this, I see this as the Piano Motifs of sampling.

And you will get a texture with multiple layers and infinite variations based on these sounds, something that goes far beyond look mum, other granular sampler. Like Piano Motifs in the MIDI part, this thing saves you hours of complex editing in a DAW to create moving and organic sounds in the background of a track.

Something super plain and simple, no manuals needed, great for the iOS community. :D

How do you import samples on iOS?

• @gusgranite said:

@Pynchon said:
    After spending some quality time with this, I see this as the Piano Motifs of sampling.

Havent got app but I think you copy a file (ios files app ) to the samples file in starwaves file ( ios files app )

You then load via samples. In starwave.

• Each platform panel ( P1 P2 P3 P4 ) has a Load Sample button. There you can select the sample with a file browser.

• @sigma79 said:

@gusgranite said:

@Pynchon said:

Havent got app but I think you copy a file (ios files app ) to the samples file in starwaves file ( ios files app )

I can’t get it to work. I even deleted all the samples out of the Samples directory but then the app crashes on start up :smile:

It sees my imported folder in my Samples directory, it lets me select a wav file, but does update the preset with my sample. Weird. I must be doing something wrong.

• I copied a folder of my samples into the existing samples folder and that worked; apart from when it crashed loading them…

• @gusgranite said:

@sigma79 said:

@gusgranite said:

@Pynchon said:

I can’t get it to work. I even deleted all the samples out of the Samples directory but then the app crashes on start up :smile:

It sees my imported folder in my Samples directory, it lets me select a wav file, but does update the preset with my sample. Weird. I must be doing something wrong.

Havent got as I say. I think you copy your file, to the starwave file/folder ( via files app ) Then go to the samples in starwave app. Then just open till it loads to a satelite thing.

• I do export my wav samples on Live, did not use any tool on the iPad yet. It works on both OSX and iOS StarWaves. I can share some if you want to try. Here is one example. On Live I choose "convert mono" and normalize as usual when exporting.

• Could anyone post a link to the manual? Tried this, not working - https://www.sonicplanet.com/Starwaves/Starwaves_manual_ENG.pdf

• Thnx Mike! Pretty sure I'll do a vid on this soon, cool app!

• @Gavinski said:

Thnx Mike! Pretty sure I'll do a vid on this soon, cool app!

You’re welcome! It sure is cool, amazing stuff 😍

• @Stuntman_mike said:

@Gavinski said:

Thnx Mike! Pretty sure I'll do a vid on this soon, cool app!

You’re welcome! It sure is cool, amazing stuff 😍

You have saved me a headache, I was also looking for this manual. Thanks!