Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Obsolete apps, what to do with them?

So I was organizing apps on my Ipad, and I found some old stuff, obsolete apps, that still work, but I don´t use them, because there is something better, too limited, too complex, just weird, etc. Just for example I have these dusty apps still installed:

I am wondering what to do with them, just delete them, or keep it. It will free up some space but not anything impressive. I am not sure what happens when I delete them, will they disappear from the app store over time? Best thing would be they stop working at some point, then I have no choice. And less is always more with these things.

It is definitely a first world problem, but, what is your strategy when it comes to old apps you don´t have any use for?

Comments

• I delete anything I’m not using, obsolete or not.

• If you still want them in case you need them for something, make a new “Seldom Used” folder.

• Of the apps on your list I've only got SunVox (Can't get enough of it), PolyChord (Fun to play) and AudioCopy (Got a bunch of sound packs in it) installed for various reasons.

I've been on an app cleaning spree to help me focus a bit better.

Some apps get removed from the AppStore and can no longer be 'restored' and sadly there's no way to check in advance if an app can be re-installed or not. If you 'off-load' a removed app it can no longer be re-installed...

So I'd say if you don't need or use them, delete them...
    (I seldom 'miss' deleted apps and in most cases there is a better app to replace the functionality available).

Cheers!

• edited May 2022

@Samu said:

So I'd say if you don't need or use them, delete them...
    (I seldom 'miss' deleted apps and in most cases there is a better app to replace the functionality available).

Cheers!

Yes, I guess that is a good approach, the same (or better) functionality can always be found elsewhere, as a rule of thumb.

And the connectivity of these older apps is less flexible. I don't want to create a loop or sound set, and record it in something else, chop it, save it, load it in an other app. The more native inside one sole app is possible, the better.

• My name is Jeff and I’m a pack rat…
    I also have so many of those apps installed.
    My “it’s out of my hands” solution is to keep them until the newest iOS update renders them unusable.
    By the way, if that is the original edition of Beatwave, it is so much better than the major overhaul the app went under a few years ago.
    Definitely a keeper.

• @raabje If it helps one of my 'criteria' on which apps to keep is its 'export & connectivity' options.

If the app can import & export using standard iOS functions (ie. ShareSheet, Files.app support or 'General Pasteboard/AudioCopy') I usually keep them around.

If an app has IAA support it's ok as long as they 'behave', meaning they connect OK to AUM and other hosts that support IAA after launching the app first. (This is a basic IAA trouble-shooting procedure under iOS).

If an app has no way to render or export the content it creates it has to be really, really special to stay on my iPad or iPhone.

Currently I have ~250 apps in total (all categories including system apps) on my 64GB iPad Air 2...

Another criteria are to avoid apps that 'do the same' and focus on keeping those that really 'click' are 'fun to use' and 'easy on the eyes'.

Once you've gone thru all your apps, launched them at least once and checked them if the still 'feel ok' it will be a lot easier to actually use the apps you've already got since you 'know' what each of them does so no more 'guessing' :sunglasses:

As for getting new apps I check if there's anything existing the new app can replace...
    (This is quite easy once you know what apps you have and what they do).

Cheers!

• edited May 2022

@Samu said:
    Some apps get removed from the AppStore and can no longer be 'restored' and sadly there's no way to check in advance if an app can be re-installed or not. If you 'off-load' a removed app it can no longer be re-installed...

hey Samu. Is it one rule for each app or there are some exceptions or diffrent rules for free/paid apps? Someone once wrote on the forum that although "Rebirth" was removed from AppStore, he could still retore it from the history of his purchase.

• @dakti said:

hey Samu,
    Is it one rule for each app or there are some exceptions or diffrent rules for free/paid apps? Someone once wrote on the forum that although Rebirth was removed from AppStore, he could still retore it from the history of his purchase.

No, there are exceptions but it's impossible to know in advance which apps are the 'exceptions'.
    From what I've heard the PPG apps can NOT be re-downloaded, I've not dared to remove any of them yet.

ReBirth is still in my purchased list but I've since long replaced it with Pure Acid...

• Sunvox is not obsolete at all. It's gotten lots of updates.

• @Samu said:

@dakti said:

hey Samu,
    Is it one rule for each app or there are some exceptions or diffrent rules for free/paid apps? Someone once wrote on the forum that although Rebirth was removed from AppStore, he could still retore it from the history of his purchase.

No, there are exceptions but it's impossible to know in advance which apps are the 'exceptions'.
    From what I've heard the PPG apps can NOT be re-downloaded, I've not dared to remove any of them yet.

ReBirth is still in my purchased list but I've since long replaced it with Pure Acid...

Thanks. In this case we have to have a second iPad just to test if we can download the "removed" app before updating the main iPad :)

I would like to have "Rebirth" on the iPad. Among others for this app I sold an Amige 1200 and bought PC, but unfortunately I missed the opportunity to purchase it for iOS. "Pure Acid" is great, but It's a pity that it doesn't have a second bassline like "Rebirth", I miss it a bit.

• @dakti said:
    "Pure Acid" is great, but It's a pity that it doesn't have a second bassline like "Rebirth", I miss it a bit.

Pure Acid is AUV3 so you can just load another instance in for example AUM :sunglasses:

• edited May 2022

@auxmux said:
    Sunvox is not obsolete at all. It's gotten lots of updates.

ah my bad, for me it is obsolete, I own it since Ipad 1, that is 10 years? And I have never used it. I don´t know, it looks like a mathematical problem I have to solve, it gives me instant headache.

But others say it is is a magical app, so I still have to give it a chance, if I have the time, before I ditch it for ever :-)

Same for Reactable and PatternMusic, just to weird to understand.

• edited May 2022

@JeffChasteen said:
    By the way, if that is the original edition of Beatwave, it is so much better than the major overhaul the app went under a few years ago.
    Definitely a keeper.

I did a quick check, It is Beatwave, doesn´t show a version number or other info. I haven´t touched it for years, and as it seems, I didn´t buy any in app purchase when it was still possible, and I didn´t upgrade to the pro version. It only has the starter sample pack so this app is pretty useless on my device.

These older apps are part of the app progression, they did evolve to the apps that are now current. No need to live in the past.

• edited May 2022

@Samu said:
    ... From what I've heard the PPG apps can NOT be re-downloaded, I've not dared to remove any of them yet.

That‘s correct regarding the app store.
    But if it’s in your purchase history, iMazing will grab it (from whatever source) and return a copy for external file storage. (at least it did half a year ago)
    The process may be a bit confusing at first because you can‘t target single apps.

It’s part of a backup strategy, iMazing first scans your current iPad and builds a list of what‘s installed, then (using your apple id) it adds uninstalled items from purchase history to this list... a rather quick process, btw.

Once this list is completed, you can select items for download - and that‘s what I did with the PPGs, which are now regular files on the MacMini and may be restored by iMazing to any iDevice, as long as the apple id matches.
    The stunning fact is that all this is possible with the demo version in demo mode.
    Quite some functionality for a freebie. :o

ps: if the process of grabbing such off-store items fails, just try again a bit later.

• edited May 2022

One can’t even use them as the proverbial door stop or paperweight!

• When I was using my old Air 2 with 128 gigs I would offload a lot of times to free up space and sometimes when I’d try reinstalling an app and from time to time it would be no longer available to download from my purchase history. I bought a IPad Pro in 2020 with 1 tb of space so I don’t have to worry about losing apps for a while. I would only delete or offload them if I really needed space if I were you.

• edited May 2022

I would NOT delete them just because apple doesnt provide a good option for backups anymore, and there is no guarantee that after deletion apps will be still available (even from your user library, despite being paid for) and/or still be working (e.g. newest update on app can break it for your current os version or vice versa)

@Telefunky said:
    iMazing

Interesting info, though i never have enough free space on computer to let it make full backup. Too bad you cant do app-per-app transfers like in older days.

• edited May 2022

p.s.
    Some of stuff i like pretty much, on those pics :smiley:

p.s.s.

Short life of apps is greatest sin of ios music making scene =/

Yes, I guess that is a good approach, the same (or better) functionality can always be found elsewhere, as a rule of thumb.

Never agreed much with this (usually it's the other way around: thre is always something in certain app that is never "replaced" by others). Then again, i have a habit of using apps for 10 years.

@raabje said:
    ah my bad, for me it is obsolete, I own it since Ipad 1, that is 10 years? And I have never used it. I don´t know, it looks like a mathematical problem I have to solve, it gives me instant headache.

But others say it is is a magical app, so I still have to give it a chance, if I have the time, before I ditch it for ever :-)

In worst case, SunVox has officially free PC version :smile:

• @Qmishery said:

@Telefunky said:
    iMazing

Interesting info, though i never have enough free space on computer to let it make full backup. Too bad you cant do app-per-app transfers like in older days.

You can do app per app transfer, just not initially - iMazing needs it‘s roadmap list.
    Once that is created you can select single items of interest.
    (tbh I don‘t remember if it transferred my installed apps on the initial run or just created the list)
    Btw that‘s only an app backup, not a full one with data content etc.

• I guess I’m not the best to chime in here because I only delete apps if I genuinely don’t like them or they simply don’t work/are abandoned. I have lots of space on my iPad so I don’t really have to worry about the extra storage to keep an app I only use once every 6 months.

So I’d say, if you don’t need the space and you like the apps, keep them around. If you need the space, play with them all for a bit and see which ones you might like to keep around.

Just a heads up, SunVox recently got a huge update and isn’t obsolete at all, might be work diving into. It’s a great app.

• edited May 2022

I think I have used the wrong words in my post, I was wondering what to do with stuff that you still have, and still functions, but never use. Because you use already better apps. More on a philosophical level, not practical. I have 128GB storage and deleting a few apps doesn't create substantial disk space. I have aprox 50 GB free space at the moment.

If I delete an app, and it is gone after this, actually that solves the whole problem.... The thin line is deleting a but too much that is irreversible.

From the pictures on top, I think I can shrink to 50%. And I feel some pain for Bias, I bought a lot of expansions, that was a little investment. But general consensus is Bias is junk when you can use Nembrini or THU rigs.

• If you're interested in recovering space, why not just "offload" them, which removes the app but keeps your data (presets, recordings, etc.)? If you decide to open an app, it just re-downloads from the App Store and in-general you're back in business.

iOS Settings > General > [device] storage will bring up a list of apps and the storage they use. This can take a long time to populate. Once populated, you can find the app and tap on it to see how much of app and user data storage there is. A few apps aren't worth offloading because the app itself is small but the user data is large, but that's the exception.

One thing: don't accidentally enable the general "offload rarely used apps to save space". You don't want Apple making those decisions for you.

• If you are worried about losing them, keep them installed.

Even when apps are no longer available for new purchase, but you have already bought and can install from your Purchased Apps list, you can lose access to any IAP content you may have paid for. This includes Full Unlock IAPs for free-to-try apps, which could be an unpleasant surprise for most people.

• @raabje said:
    I think I have used the wrong words in my post, I was wondering what to do with stuff that you still have, and still functions, but never use. Because you use already better apps. More on a philosophical level, not practical. I have 128GB storage and deleting a few apps doesn't create substantial disk space. I have aprox 50 GB free space at the moment.

If I delete an app, and it is gone after this, actually that solves the whole problem.... The thin line is deleting a but too much that is irreversible.

From the pictures on top, I think I can shrink to 50%. And I feel some pain for Bias, I bought a lot of expansions, that was a little investment. But general consensus is Bias is junk when you can use Nembrini or THU rigs.

If it’s the case that certain apps have been replaced by better options, and you’re no longer using the old ones, why not get rid of them? It's just digital clutter. Get all Marie Kondo about it ;)

• edited May 2022

@el_bo said:
    Get all Marie Kondo about it ;)

Ha :-), I am a big fan of her, helped me a lot. Possessions are mostly ordinary stuff, there is no need to get emotionally attached to this. And worship the little bit of stuff that really makes you happy, which might be an eastern or japanese cultural aspect?

But things went another direction, I have bought Drambo, I couldn´t resist anymore after all these update hallelujah stories here on the forum. In the scale of this event, my obsolete apps are even more obsolete now. Pathetic little synthesizers like DXi, Argon...

And, just to make sure, I am mostly interested in the approach of others, I have sorted it out for myself. I have this folder where stuff is stored, and when I need some space it has to go. I like my (solid state?) disks to have some air to breath, so this will be sooner than later.

• @raabje said:

@el_bo said:
    Get all Marie Kondo about it ;)

Ha :-), I am a big fan of her, helped me a lot. Possessions are mostly ordinary stuff, there is no need to get emotionally attached to this. And worship the little bit of stuff that really makes you happy, which might be an eastern or japanese cultural aspect?

But things went another direction, I have bought Drambo, I couldn´t resist anymore after all these update hallelujah stories here on the forum. In the scale of this event, my obsolete apps are even more obsolete now. Pathetic little synthesizers like DXi, Argon...

And, just to make sure, I am mostly interested in the approach of others, I have sorted it out for myself. I have this folder where stuff is stored, and when I need some space it has to go. I like my (solid state?) disks to have some air to breath, so this will be sooner than later.

Definitely curious about the various aspects of minimalism. Not so much the 'one man and his toothbrush' extremes, but certainly into the idea of living a more purposeful, curated life. Kondo will have to wait, though, as depression and anxiety are at odds with joy (Judging belongings on the joy they bring could easily end up as 'One man, without even a toothbrush ;) ).

Digital clutter is a different beast, I reckon. It's so easily hidden from sight. But I think there is still the subconscious awareness of the weight of all those unused/unlearnt apps, plugins etc. All those unread Kindle books and unread bookmarked links etc. And yet still there's that itch for the one app that will make the difference.

It's definitely hard to avoid getting caught-up in this whole Drambo thing. But I can imagine, as you seem to have discovered, how it could render a lot of other apps surplus to requirements. It certainly seems to have taken some of the anxiety out of the predicament for you. And who knows...Perhaps these latest Apple rules about updates will bring some of these apps out of retirement, or receive much needed version-two-ification ;)

• Im curious, btw, what do you now replace DXi with? We never had "that many" FM synths here compared to others. TF7 Synth died and disappeared before i got all IAPs (and i was shocked there were not enough threads about that, haha), Phasemaker was a bit different (and Bram Bos' approach to UI might be not a cup of team for some), and i remember there were others but they were too advanced or expensive or something in my eyes, so i still returned to DXi as "most classic and compact" solution.

As for Argon, its like other "early" IceGear synths, usually were kept for their specific "sound colour", heh.

• @Qmishery said:
    Im curious, btw, what do you now replace DXi with? We never had "that many" FM synths here compared to others. TF7 Synth died and disappeared before i got all IAPs (and i was shocked there were not enough threads about that, haha), Phasemaker was a bit different (and Bram Bos' approach to UI might be not a cup of team for some), and i remember there were others but they were too advanced or expensive or something in my eyes, so i still returned to DXi as "most classic and compact" solution.

As for Argon, its like other "early" IceGear synths, usually were kept for their specific "sound colour", heh.

BLEASS Omega is a quite good substitute for DXi and for FM sounds in general KQ Dixie is my go-to.

• I can’t work with clutter so I get rid of anything I’m not using.

• I put those kind of old apps like Synthbook, Funkbox etc. on an old iPad and use them as sound sources.

Seeing all those Yamaha apps makes me sad they didn’t continue to do iOS.