Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Let’s see your studio setup (photos please!)

Comments

• @NeuM
    I’ve recorded plenty just using just the iPad in isolation and that’s great, but I do like to record improvisations as well as construct tracks piecemeal. This allows me to do so with the greatest freedom I can manage.

•  iPad Pro 12`9/M1/1Tb + Apogee Duet 3

• my portable studio, currently in Stockholm.

• edited May 2022

@Sam23 said:
     iPad Pro 12`9/M1/1Tb + Apogee Duet 3

That's a 12.9" iPad Pro? Why does that GarageBand layout look so different from the one I'm using on my iPad Pro? For example, the top bar symbols and buttons in your photo take up so much space. Something is definitely different there. Looks like the smaller iPad Pro.

• edited May 2022

My untested setup. Who bothers with a complete system. Without being plugged in and knowing what you need.

Ipad mini. Drums. Glitch words etc.

Ipad air

Synths. Aums stems, for a few synths that need more parameters. Think drambo has 16.

Feeling acomplished/neat.

• edited May 2022

@NeuM said:
    Oh, man. That’s a lot of equipment in one spot. Personally, I don’t think I’d be able to handle being surrounded by all that.

I have a friend who has been collecting synths and audio equipment for 40 years and has several rooms in a house literally jam packed (and a lot of it actually connected and still working) with synths and recording hardware. It’s mind boggling and impressive.

But I’m a minimalist. One iPad Pro, one iMac, no other keyboards or hardware except headphones and I am set.

I am trying to be a minimalist too. I went, in my younger days, full in, because there was a huge second hand market with interesting synth gear, and software solutions were not on par yet. I ditched all my synth stuff, less is more. And I am not really interested anymore in synthesizers, the magic has gone (I stopped with clubbing, when my kids were born. I was interested in synths because of clubbing and vice versa, nothing more cool than hearing this stuff on full volume in a club).

I still have too much guitar gear. I have a few amps and pedals in my house, and a 30 watt tube amp and a nice Greenback cabinet in storage. This stuff is overlapping each other, so I could do with less. I did read the Marie Kondo book so I know how it works and what I should do, but it takes a bit more time to let it go. The shop is your stockroom, not your house.

But I do understand, when you really can play piano or keys, you need a few performance instruments, like a guitar player has a few guitars. If you just turn some knobs, you don't need all these keyboards IMHO.

• @raabje said:

@NeuM said:
    Oh, man. That’s a lot of equipment in one spot. Personally, I don’t think I’d be able to handle being surrounded by all that.

I have a friend who has been collecting synths and audio equipment for 40 years and has several rooms in a house literally jam packed (and a lot of it actually connected and still working) with synths and recording hardware. It’s mind boggling and impressive.

But I’m a minimalist. One iPad Pro, one iMac, no other keyboards or hardware except headphones and I am set.

I am trying to be a minimalist too. I went, in my younger days, full in, because there was a huge second hand market with interesting synth gear, and software solutions were not on par yet. I ditched all my synth stuff, less is more. And I am not really interested anymore in synthesizers, the magic has gone (I stopped with clubbing, when my kids were born. I was interested in synths because of clubbing and vice versa, nothing more cool than hearing this stuff on full volume in a club).

I still have too much guitar gear. I have a few amps and pedals in my house, and a 30 watt tube amp and a nice Greenback cabinet in storage. This stuff is overlapping each other, so I could do with less. I did read the Marie Kondo book so I know how it works and what I should do, but it takes a bit more time to let it go. The shop is your stockroom, not your house.

But I do understand, when you really can play piano or keys, you need a few performance instruments, like a guitar player has a few guitars. If you just turn some knobs, you don't need all these keyboards IMHO.

Good observations and comments.

I have a guitar, but I don't play it. I try instead to perform all of my guitar with emulations and modeled instruments to get the cleanest possible signal and then refine with effects and in the mix. My method certainly isn't for everyone, but I'm getting the exact sound I want doing this.

• it IS the 12‘9 😉

@NeuM said:

@Sam23 said:

That's a 12.9" iPad Pro? Why does that GarageBand layout look so different from the one I'm using on my iPad Pro? For example, the top bar symbols and buttons in your photo take up so much space. Something is definitely different there. Looks like the smaller iPad Pro.

• @Sam23 said:
    it IS the 12‘9 😉

@NeuM said:

@Sam23 said:

• edited May 2022

It seems like I shuffle things around about every 6 months. This is my latest setup with the gear I want to focus on for the time being:

• @echoopera How is it using the Push tipped up like that?

• Uplifting? 😉

• @echoopera i know you're all over the board, but is drambo you main playground?

• edited May 2022

@Tarekith 🤪 @mistercharlie it’s pretty nice. I can adjust it to flat if i want to.
    @AlmostAnonymous pretty much everything starts in Drambo and evolves from there.

• @echoopera said:
    @Tarekith 🤪 @mistercharlie it’s pretty nice. I can adjust it to flat if i want to.
    @AlmostAnonymous pretty much everything starts in Drambo and evolves from there.

Glorious-looking. I would love to know the signal flow. Actually, I would maybe pay to know the signal flow!

• edited May 2022

@ExAsperis99 said:

@echoopera said:

Glorious-looking. I would love to know the signal flow. Actually, I would maybe pay to know the signal flow!

Audio Wise, everything feeds in to the SP404, for capturing, real time mangling and other serendipitous opportunities.
    AUDIO
    OT > DN > ST > SP > Audio Interface with Drambo Hosting (I do it like this because sometimes I just want to jam with the SP and Drambo so the SP made sense as a final instrument in the audio chain).

MIDI
    OT (mio2) | DN | ST | SP | Audio Interface > USB Hub > Drambo Hosting

The MacBook and Push 2 are on their own island, and I feed audio from the Mac to the Audio Interface hosted by Drambo when I use both.

• @Sam23 said:

@Sam23 said:
    it IS the 12‘9 😉

@NeuM said:

@Sam23 said:

Ah. I think I know now. It's because your system fonts are much larger than I'm used to seeing. That affects the layout of GarageBand.

• @echoopera said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@echoopera said:

Audio Wise, everything feeds in to the SP404, for capturing, real time mangling and other serendipitous opportunities.
    AUDIO
    OT > DN > ST > SP > Audio Interface with Drambo Hosting (I do it like this because sometimes I just want to jam with the SP and Drambo so the SP made sense as a final instrument in the audio chain).

MIDI
    OT (mio2) | DN | ST | SP | Audio Interface > USB Hub > Drambo Hosting

The MacBook and Push 2 are on their own island, and I feed audio from the Mac to the Audio Interface hosted by Drambo when I use both.

I would never have predicted that. How is everything synching?

• edited May 2022

Midi over USB...with the SP un-synced and playing free :)

• @carshu43 said:

Nice trash cans,haha!

• edited May 2022

Same setup but at 1024 sample rate. Doubt I can record stems. Only recorded master out.

Dual mononoke. Thermo. Fundamental in Aum with ec4 controller. Drums and samples in Drambo. On same ipad ( background audio ) to a Drambo host on other ipad.

Other ipad. Aum ipad to loopy pro but the drums/samples from drambo. To other ipad Drambo host ( background audio )

Or aum and drambo drums on ipad. To other ipad drambo which is sequenced synths and imported loopy loops and aum stems.

But not mapping until Drambo update. Not sure if faderfox pc12 and ec4 combo. Will be better for synths and effects. Instead of a drum kit on pc12/more for live tweaking etc. So a controller thats always the same. A drum kit. Maybe sb drum though ( with drambo update ) If only pc12 were encoder like ec4.

Think it would be best for a controller for synths and a controller for effects. Depending on how many synth parameters I map and how many effects I use. Even with Drambo. Maybe just use screen for drums. Then overwrite locks etc, with an ec4 mapping but use other controllers for synths and effects. Its just with the pc12 and the overlay you can buy. Would it be best for effects or synths. Probably effects but it would be loads of effects parameters.

Think I bought too much stuff anyway. People prob make better music than me. With just a phone.

• edited May 2022

Other general mappings are bt keyboard to loopy pro and drambo synth host ipad. So theres no filtering needed when launchpad is also routed. You then get the key mode of the launchpad, to the drum ipad ( if needed/maybe samples ) Custom modes to drum ipad like drum pads. Then drambo patterns of both ipads mapped to launchpad for a psudeo rewind ( timeline ) Then its just deciding on whether to map more synths or effects to pc12. The nanokontrol should be able to be like a dj mixer for dj player pro on an ipad with audio sent via usb. Then the akai controller be bt cue points of another dj player pro for the turntable and line input, with a phone. There would still be an a spare ipad with controllers via usb but I think Iv made better noodles with just a screen.

• edited May 2022

Think I may have to map synths/effects. As it cool to tweak a synth + effect. I can then move volca drum to ipads but keyboard will be far away from screens ( hence more need for mapping synth/effects ) Why is a volca drum easier to program then any app? Its not pro sound. Like if you make rock drums on ipad. Ipad is better but ipad apps take too long to make drums and then they sound 2d. Why is a volca drum better. Anologue with digital effects? Maybe its because the volca drum sounds like more than drums. A drum track is more than a drum track etc. Think I will sample volca drum. Just to start a drum track.

• edited May 2022

or this, when we are off shooting

• Calling out to Godzilla.

An emotional song. With a mafia scenario.

• Here's my recent hybrid setup (more than 3 devices makes my head spin).

Audio: iPad audio (headphone jack) > audio interface (connected to laptop) > audio interface output > Force's inputs.
    Force can sample the iPad or laptop quickly without too much fuss.

• @geesbert said:

or this, when we are off shooting

Too many cables.