Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New app fron sonicLAB: Starwaves

Comments

• It's the kind of app which should probably be released as a demo with iap upgrade to unlock saving or something as it might get more sales that way.

• @enkaytee said:

@rs2000 said:

@enkaytee said:

@HotStrange said:

@enkaytee said:
    Fascinating but pretty complex. God knows if I'm going to be able to create anything of my own in this but I'm going to have fun trying...a bit flaky round the edges - I'm getting crashes when changing presets and the sequencer doesn't always trigger properly but it's a great way to waste a Saturday afternoon...👍

One thing that may be an improvement on the other soniclab apps is preset handling (though it took me a while to get my head round it). As long as you remember the preset save interface is more desktop oriented and there's an input box for the preset name at the bottom you're in business. The downside is that the ipad version is sandboxed so there's no local access to the files outside of the app. You have to back up files and folders via something like imazing on a Mac - if you delete the app from your ipad all the data is also removed - and importing your own samples looks like being a ball ache that also requires a PC connection...

Wait am I misreading this? Can you not load your own sample files into the app?

You can, but as far as I can tell not directly from local files on the ipad. It appears that the sandboxing means that the only way to get samples into the internal folder structure is via the ancient iTunes share process where you have to connect the ipad to a PC and access the folders from a desktop app like imazing...more info here:

Should the app really support iTunes file sharing, all you need is iFunbox on desktop.
    https://www.i-funbox.com/en/index.html

Yes - an app like iFunbox or imazing will work as they use the iTunes file sharing protocols to access the ios file system directly. On MacOS Catalina or later, you should be able to use Finder but I can't confirm this with Starwaves as I'm away from my Mac for a few weeks.

Ah that’s unfortunate. I don’t have laptop, I’m iPad only so I guess I’ll pass on this one for now.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Managed to get a refund. Had a few crashes and think the sample import side was poorly advertised.

Good to know. This looks right up my alley... but, I didn't like the way this developer handled the Hainbach fiasco (as other have said), but it really was looking like something I'd love to play in.

The sandboxing that requires iTunes, etc. is a dealbreaker. And, I know you wouldn't have gone the refund route if this had any hope of being useful down the road.

• edited May 2022

Meh

Nothing I can’t do with some existential granular apps and reverbs

But don’t listen to me I’ve become jaded

• @audiblevideo said:
    But don’t listen to me I’ve become jaded

Deluded or jaded. Best to get to reality asap so you can can on with your life. Sadly I was a late bloomer. But I got here in the end. Welcome to the fold.

• Buy it, very interesting, make me remembered Boderlands. And, will Starwaves support Backgroud Audio in the future?

• edited May 2022

Updated to allow access to local Starwaves folders from files app - sample import now possible on ipad!

• @enkaytee said:
    Updated to allow access to local Starwaves folders from files app - sample import now possible on ipad!

Keep the requests coming! The developer is reading the thread! 😀👍

• @enkaytee said:

Excellent news!

• Bought. Excellent work. Now I only have to decide which platform to use since I always ended up buying both for pc and IPad😂😂😂

• The current price is a discounted intro offer - don't know what it will be going up to or when...

• I bought midi/osc support too, but here has some problem, multi midi cc in will just response one of them or, response them all but very chaos...

• This thing is crashing on me way too many times and I am on iPad Pro 2018.. Change state/call - crash, press play/paus crash...
    I don't like the developer either.. He is all negative vibes... Anyways... I will keep the app since I like the way it 'sounds' and hope he fixes his app.

• Fundamental2 seemed interesting to me, but after this mindblowing app I think I just have to show some love to the developer and buy the whole bundle. what a great weekend...

• @enkaytee said:

Question. Can you record directly in or only upload samples from the files folder? Either way this is enough to convince me to buy it. Thermo and Fundamental are both some of the best iOS has to offer.

• @HotStrange said:

@enkaytee said:

Question. Can you record directly in or only upload samples from the files folder? Either way this is enough to convince me to buy it. Thermo and Fundamental are both some of the best iOS has to offer.

Only upload and the samples must be mono.

• @enkaytee said:

@HotStrange said:

@enkaytee said:

Went ahead and bought it. Haven’t uploaded any samples yet but the app itself is nuts. Pretty fun so far but I can’t figure out how to access my recordings from the app. Any idea?

• @HotStrange said:

@enkaytee said:

@HotStrange said:

@enkaytee said:

Went ahead and bought it. Haven’t uploaded any samples yet but the app itself is nuts. Pretty fun so far but I can’t figure out how to access my recordings from the app. Any idea?

Go to MyIpad -> StarWaves -> AudioBounces.

• edited May 2022

• @cuscolima said:

@HotStrange said:

@enkaytee said:

@HotStrange said:

@enkaytee said:

Go to MyIpad -> StarWaves -> AudioBounces.

Thanks!

• Eh, I appreciate a guy who is able to and is doing something he’s passionate about; even if he doesn’t seem like a stand-up person, the quality is there. But I’m all set on oscillators and stochastic mods. Made a few really good tracks with Fundamental modulation as the base. The filter one is the best he’s released. There are simply much funner ways to make really cool and far out noises aka just pass me a hardware synth.

• edited May 2022

Despite my not being a fan of how this dev has supported iPad layout on his other apps... and despite my not appreciating how he handled the Hainbach collab/fiasco... Starwaves looked like something I'd love to play around with and I bought it.

So far... it's REALLY fun. I think it might be too cryptic for regular song crafter sorts of users, but for experimentation with sound and pure videogame-like interface fun... I'm diggin' it so far. :)

However... although the files app integration is straight forward on the iPad... I can't find the StarWaves direction on macOS.

I can't find where it's storying recordings on the macOS M1.

According to the manual, it's supposed to be located within user/library/applicationsupport/ etc. But there is no such directory there.

In the app, when you open presets... there's a directory path listed too... but there's no such directory on my machine.

Does anyone know exactly where StarWaves is storing recordings on the macOS desktop?

EDIT: Ok, I finally found it. It's buried deep. I can't believe it's this difficult to find an actual recording on macOS with this app. Seems like a significant oversight to me.

My recording was located here: MacintoshHD/Users/username/Library/Containers/StarWaves/Data/Library/Application Support/com.sonicPlanet.StarWaves/AudioBounces

I couldn't find any of this via system search. I had to use a 3rd party search app called Funter that searches for hidden files.

Seriously?!!!

• I had the same question myself :) and this tutorial has saved me.

It looks like the OSX app is sandboxed ( whatever this means ) and Apple puts the files in a mandatory specific place. Once I found them as the tutorial shows, the rest was a piece of cake.

The channel adds videos frequently so you should check definitely.

• edited May 2022

@skiphunt said:
    Despite my not being a fan of how this dev has supported iPad layout on his other apps... and despite my not appreciating how he handled the Hainbach collab/fiasco... Starwaves looked like something I'd love to play around with and I bought it.

So far... it's REALLY fun. I think it might be too cryptic for regular song crafter sorts of users, but for experimentation with sound and pure videogame-like interface fun... I'm diggin' it so far. :)

However... although the files app integration is straight forward on the iPad... I can't find the StarWaves direction on macOS.

According to the manual, it's supposed to be located within user/library/applicationsupport/ etc. But there is no such directory there.

In the app, when you open presets... there's a directory path listed too... but there's no such directory on my machine.

Does anyone know exactly where StarWaves is storing recordings on the macOS desktop?

It's a bit tricky to show the files of iOS apps on Mac.

First, you need to make the hidden files visible on Finder. The simplest way of making this is to use the shortcut Shift+Command+dot (.)

Then in Users/(your username)/Library/Containers you will find all the data directories for the iOS apps.

I recommend to create an Alias to the folder that you will want to access frequently, putting this in your Documents folder.

• It doesn’t make No sound on my iPad m1 11

• @yaosichen said:
    It doesn’t make No sound on my iPad m1 11

Have you pressed the 'off' button at the bottom left of the screen? This turns to 'on' when the sound plays.

• @enkaytee said:

@yaosichen said:

Have you pressed the 'off' button at the bottom left of the screen? This turns to 'on' when the sound plays.

Thank you ,I did and the app works on my iPad mini, no luck with iPad m1 after many time reinstall reboot etc made me a little sad

• @skiphunt said:

EDIT: Ok, I finally found it. It's buried deep. I can't believe it's this difficult to find an actual recording on macOS with this app. Seems like a significant oversight to me.

My recording was located here: MacintoshHD/Users/username/Library/Containers/StarWaves/Data/Library/Application Support/com.sonicPlanet.StarWaves/AudioBounces

I couldn't find any of this via system search. I had to use a 3rd party search app called Funter that searches for hidden files.

Seriously?!!!

Good find @skiphunt Thanks!

I bought the Midi/OSC in-app purchase on my iPad. But I can not restore this purchase on my Macbook Pro M1, is that normal behaviour?

• @yaosichen said:

@enkaytee said:

@yaosichen said:

Thank you ,I did and the app works on my iPad mini, no luck with iPad m1 after many time reinstall reboot etc made me a little sad

I'm on an iPad M1 with 8GBs of RAM, for me it works perfectly.

Pretty great app. More than Borderlands Granular, this is a simplified version of SoundScaper by Igor Vasiliev. Not as fancy, but with SoundScaper is possible to create even more complex interactions in a 3D space.

But regardless of this, it's cool to have a casual SoundScaper that you can program with a few knobs.