Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sensel Morph end-of-the-line overlay sale

End of production. There is a sale on overlays. I bought the Buchla overlay, and got the video editor free. I have the others.

Comments

• I am the only one who ever bought one of these? I really like mine.

• I missed getting one before they went it off production, I just got an email from the waiting list mailer about them finally giving up on production… looking at it positively, it kinda helps me reduce my options as I’m currently trying to figure it what to replace my dead MIDI controller with 😅

• edited May 2022

If you are looking for something more conventional, I am pretty interested in the M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini.

• I need to use mine more. I'm kind of conflicted, good for them from a business perspective but it was something really innovative and someone should push the boundary of midi controllers like they did.

• I love mine! Great piece of hardware that should have moved a million open minds. Alas, there are not a million open minds. 🙃

• @auxmux said:
    I need to use mine more. I'm kind of conflicted, good for them from a business perspective but it was something really innovative and someone should push the boundary of midi controllers like they did.

I’m super disappointed, but I understand their pivot. These sort of sensors are going to be huge in all kinds of applications. Too bad they couldn’t keep the music spin off.

• I don’t use my enough, thinking of putting it up on reverb.

• Use mine all the time. Man that’s the perfect companion for the ipad, despite the lack of an ios config app.

• it looks like all the overlays are now sold out...,dang it

• Love the Morph, I use two of them and even made a few custom overlays. It was sad to get this news, but I’ve kind of given up on further developments from Sensel already and will still be getting plenty of use out of these devices for years to come anyway. As long as the editor software is still working I’m going to keep making more custom overlays too.

• Deeply disappointed that I missed out on the Buchla overlay, can’t believe just a couple of hours later and they’re already all sold out.

If anyone has an extra or unloved Buchla overlay that they’re willing to part with, please hit me up in a DM, cheers!

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    If you are looking for something more conventional, I am pretty interested in the M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini.

Cheers, I’ll check those out, I’m veering between qunexus and keystep pro, with a side order of linnstrument for posterity so cheaper options that turn my head are probably a good thing 😁

• Anyone make an overlay like a linnstrument? It always struck me that they missed an opportunity there.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Anyone make an overlay like a linnstrument? It always struck me that they missed an opportunity there.

I think there might be one on their forum that someone made for the creator’s toolkit thing…

• @Krupa said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Anyone make an overlay like a linnstrument? It always struck me that they missed an opportunity there.

I think there might be one on their forum that someone made for the creator’s toolkit thing…

Will check it out. Thx

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Krupa said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Will check it out. Thx

There is for sure. I use it as my preferred layout.

I am kicking myself for not having picked up the designers overlay before they sold out

• @espiegel123 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Krupa said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Will check it out. Thx

There is for sure. I use it as my preferred layout.

I am kicking myself for not having picked up the designers overlay before they sold out

If it's any comfort, I found the designer overlay to be a lot less useful than I had expected it to be. It was kind of fun designing layouts, but unless you come up with ways to get some tactility to them, they're really not much more useful than custom control surfaces directly on the iPad with Loopy, TouchOSC, Midi Designer Pro, etc..

You can print out your custom designs on paper, but they sit below the semi-opaque overlay, so aren't that great to look at. You have to hook up to a PC or Mac every time you change custom layouts. There are really no good ways of producing tactile surfaces that would help to not need to look at the overlay anyway.

While the designer overlay scratched a nerd itch, I never found anything particularly practical to do with it. The only one I would have found satisfying that I didn't have is the Thunder overlay. But even then, at $10 plus shipping, I'm not sure I would have gone for it.

• @Krupa said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

Cheers, I’ll check those out, I’m veering between qunexus and keystep pro, with a side order of linnstrument for posterity so cheaper options that turn my head are probably a good thing 😁

Be aware the qunexus can be hard to play. I like mine, i took it on a lot of flights. I never felt I could be very nimble with it. I love my boppad, though. Keith is a visionary, but I think he has pivoted to industrial applications a bit.

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@Krupa said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

Be aware the qunexus can be hard to play. I like mine, i took it on a lot of flights. I never felt I could be very nimble with it. I love my boppad, though. Keith is a visionary, but I think he has pivoted to industrial applications a bit.

Interesting, good to know, I’m only drawn to it after seeing people talk warmly about it, and the CV outputs it sports… I keeping leaning towards the linnstrument as it’s similar to guitar layout and seems like almost the only truly viable mpe device

• This was on my list but at least it helps me save spending more money :)
    I really think the future is DIY controllers as diy tech becomes more advanced. It's too small and quick moving a market for mass produced esoteric hardware to last.

• Sensel sent me a morph with all overlays after i did my vid on Fundamental. I loved the concept of it but had nothing but issues with lack of responsiveness on the Buchla overlay. Hence i never ended up making a vid on it. Maybe I got a dodgy unit. Was such a pity as I absolutely love the concept of the Buchla overlay. It also really annoyed me that there was no app for iOS. Hooking up to laptop to change overlay settings etc was a real killjoy for me. This combined with bad experiences with Roli Seaboard being intermittently responsive really put me off the whole mpe controller experience. Can someone just please make a Bluetooth mpe controller that just works, stays in production for more than a few years, and doesn't cost a fortune?

• @Gavinski said:
    Sensel sent me a morph with all overlays after i did my vid on Fundamental. I loved the concept of it but had nothing but issues with lack of responsiveness on the Buchla overlay. Hence i never ended up making a vid on it. Maybe I got a dodgy unit. Was such a pity as I absolutely love the concept of the Buchla overlay. It also really annoyed me that there was no app for iOS. Hooking up to laptop to change overlay settings etc was a real killjoy for me. This combined with bad experiences with Roli Seaboard being intermittently responsive really put me off the whole mpe controller experience. Can someone just please make a Bluetooth mpe controller that just works, stays in production for more than a few years, and doesn't cost a fortune?

the situation you describe has definitely stopped me from diving in; I’ve had my eye on several over the last couple of years, but niggles and doubts with each have put me off every time I’ve gone to actually buy them.

• @Krupa said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@Krupa said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

Interesting, good to know, I’m only drawn to it after seeing people talk warmly about it, and the CV outputs it sports… I keeping leaning towards the linnstrument as it’s similar to guitar layout and seems like almost the only truly viable mpe device

Plus, you get to pick it up at Roger’s house.

• @Gavinski said:
    It also really annoyed me that there was no app for iOS.

I can't blame manufacturers for the hassles of creating an iOS app specifically for a controller which will need constant updating etc. Apple should make it easier for Web apps which is ideal for most of these types of things, and doesn't need as much maintenance since they are cross platform.

But I think it might be as petty as Apple being worried about losing ground to Web apps they can't monetize and control in the appstore unfortunately...

• Just showin’ off:

• @gothamoddisee said:
    Deeply disappointed that I missed out on the Buchla overlay, can’t believe just a couple of hours later and they’re already all sold out.

If anyone has an extra or unloved Buchla overlay that they’re willing to part with, please hit me up in a DM, cheers!

fwiw, just noticed thomann claims to have the thunder overlay in stock for $60: https://www.thomannmusic.com/sensel_buchla_thunder_overlay.htm

• Thx, mate!