Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I blame Linear Lineman: Here In A Place Beyond Desire Or Fear

edited May 2022 in Creations

Accusing me of sounding melodic! With my reputation? How very dare he? ;)

So: this.

(Although tbh I don’t know if it proves or disproves @LinearLineman’s heinous accusation… :))

Er… Model D on bass, Various Decent Samples, lead noises from Shockwave, and actually programmed some actual sequences in several instances of midiSTEPs, no auto generation involved. Blimey!

Comments

• Sounds fairly melodic to me! runs away and hides

• Absolutely melodic :) Some of lead sounds are very loud though!

• Well, Svetloska, I think I have branded you now as a melody maker. Anything that has a pitch is now melodic in the ears of your listeners. Sad. 🥳😉😘🙏

• McDMcD
    edited May 2022

Melodies are just molecules for a world builder… once released in the space they become a tiny component of the whole.

Try to keep your focus on the whole.

@linearlineman is always finding lines in the maelstrom.

Trees not forest. He means well. He just loves trees.

• edited May 2022

Thanks all for your listens, and comments.

@bygjohn : very droll! :)

@JudasZimmerman : loud? Yes, yes it is…

@McD : ah, yes, but if a tree falls in a forest - did anybody turn it into a field recording, bung it through PaulXStretch and SpaceFields and a metric f*ckton of reverbs and call it a three hour Dark Ambient album? And if not, why not?

@jolico : thanks!

And last but not least, thanks of course to @LinearLineman without whom this piece would not have been possible. ;)

Now, I clearly need to start working on something with no discernible pitches in it at all…

(wanders off, muttering about ‘melody’ under her breath.)

• I like it. David Lynch would approve.

• McDMcD
    edited May 2022

@Svetlovska said:
    @McD : ah, yes, but if a tree falls in a forest - did anybody turn it into a field recording, bung it through PaulXStretch and SpaceFields and a metric f*ckton of reverbs and call it a three hour Dark Ambient album? And if not, why not?

I would like to see some stats on these trees falling over in forrests. Getting the sounds recorded shouldn't be too hard because there are industries that take out trees by the square mile. But just falling over one day... that's probably a result of insect forestry.

People: Get to work on this sound file using the recipe above. You too can say "fuck melody". And get a free cookie for the effort.

https://www.epidemicsound.com/track/JCkNzNySrV/?us=adwords&_usx=11282646959&utm_source=google&utm_medium=paidsearch&utm_campaign=11282646959&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpcOTBhCZARIsAEAYLuU_OanrRQyMtg9jVxh16mM4sfihNUilzUPuiH9LZhSxIUBjjOhx9OEaAsskEALw_wcB

Listening to that file... it has great material for slicing for drum tracks: Very crisp impulses and a massive boom.

This one sounds "wet":

• Ha! Challenge accepted. I’ll see what I can do… :)

• @Svetlovska said:
    Ha! Challenge accepted. I’ll see what I can do… :)

You can forget the "3 hour" result. 3 minutes would be fine to get into the space.

• I’m gonna say nothing about melody or not cause I like this direction a lot 🙌

• McDMcD
    edited May 2022

I took your recipe to heart and investigated what PaulXStretch and Spacefields can do.

Once I had this "space desert" sound I chopped the soundfile with Koala and played some loops into Loopy Pro for a rock pounding effect pushed through an Eventides Micropitch delay.

Then as I always seem to do I played some orchestral tones (Roli Noise) over the whole. This shows I can't function without melodies and put my stamp on it. Old dogs...

Extra Reverbs from Thafnar, Polyivoks (for extra filtering), EOS 2, Pan Station.

• I blame @LinearLineman for a lot of things //

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    I blame @LinearLineman for a lot of things //

Get to the back of the line where you’ll be beaten soundly.

• edited May 2022

@McD: so, here’s my go. The only sound source used was the tree falling sound you provided, which I screen capped. Frankly I’m disappointed you didn’t want the whole three hours, ;) (if only because it’d let me prove that this started out as your tree fall sample) - but here’s the Top 40 Radio mix instead, (from the moment about two and a half hours into the PaulXStretch when the tree actually begins to fall), as requested:

I included just a little clip of the initial , er clip, if you see what I mean, right at the end, just to show my working out.

From the YouTube description:

@McD of the AudioBus Forum issued a challenge of sorts, to make something musical out of the sound of a falling tree.

This is the result: an extract from a much (much!) longer piece where the amazing PaulXStretch app pulled out 13 seconds or so of original audio ( listen to it here: https://www.epidemicsound.com/track/QU2mbkaT7G/ ) into something like three hours(!) of sound!

I dropped it three octaves and slowed it by fifty percent in AudioStretch, used AudioShare to extract the audio from the video, then took it in PaulXStretch in standalone mode, and screen capped it again, taking that wave into AUM and feeding it through SpaceFields, Shimmerverb, and FAC Alteza, screen capping for a third time as I manually messed with settings in the various apps as the wav played. Screen capping is a) a quick and dirty way to get a mix without faffing around with DAWs etc, and b) allows me to capture fx trails with the AUM transport stopped.

I edited it for length in iMovie and, yes, this is indeed the sound of the precise moment the tree begins to fall…”

No melodies - in fact, no instruments whatsoever - harmed in the making of this - at all! :)

• @McD said:
    I took your recipe to heart and investigated what PaulXStretch and Spacefields can do.

Once I had this "space desert" sound I chopped the soundfile with Koala and played some loops into Loopy Pro for a rock pounding effect pushed through an Eventides Micropitch delay.

Then as I always seem to do I played some orchestral tones (Roli Noise) over the whole. This shows I can't function without melodies and put my stamp on it. Old dogs...

Extra Reverbs from Thafnar, Polyivoks (for extra filtering), EOS 2, Pan Station.

Nice work! I like it :) You - melodist, you!

• xorxor
    edited May 2022

Thanks @Svetlovska and @McD, nice pieces and a great idea for a diversion. Mine didn't turn out quite as concise and a lot less tonal. Nothing but Bitwig, PaulXStretch and one poor felled tree (and some rudimentary iMovie).

• Definitely sounds melodic to my ears. Thoroughly enjoyed from beginning to end.

• @xor said:
    Thanks @Svetlovska and @McD, nice pieces and a great idea for a diversion. Mine didn't turn out quite as concise and a lot less tonal. Nothing but Bitwig, PaulXStretch and one poor felled tree (and some rudimentary iMovie).

Nice "world builder" style track. I like the low frequency "Balrog" (Durin's Bane in the Mines of Moria) booms throughout. Gandalf would shit himself (trivia that Tolkien left out of the books).

My daughter sent me an Audobon "Bird Chipper" as a present today. I think I'll sample it since getting really close to the live birds is not likely.

• @McD said
    My daughter sent me an Audobon "Bird Chipper" as a present today. I think I'll sample it since getting really close to the live birds is not likely.

If a "Bird Chipper" is anything like a wood chipper, Gandalf won't be the only one shitting himself. :D

• edited May 2022

@xor : ominous! I like it :) Also: lovely footage.

• edited May 2022

That’s good @xor. Some would call it art. I would. The video has a Hiroshige feel to it.

• Thanks everyone. I’m happy that you enjoyed. I’m amazed by the sounds that PaulXStretch can coax out of noise. The “Barlog,” though, is the only bit that isn’t stretched. Just wood chops with reverb and a filter. The video is “just” a free seven second video stretched, looped and filtered. After playing around with LumaFusion on the iPad I was surprised how basic iMovie on the Mac seemed. Now I see that LumaFusion does work on a Mac. That should keep me busy while I wait for Gadrambot.

• @Svetlovska, I enjoy the layers in this track from the bright bursts to dark rumbles and also the insights in this post and others as to how you go about (Love)crafting them. Thank you!