Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Any developers out there that can help with app submission? SUCCESS!

edited May 2022 in App Development

Edit: Resubmitting exactly the same thing turned out to work in pretty much record time for any of my apps... The process makes no sense.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this isn't the place to do this but I'm a bit lost and am appealing for help and I know a few developers post around here - its also an insight into the hell that is the app submission process for others!

On Saturday we submitted what we thought was a final build of Flux Pro to App Store connect and it was all accepted by Monday without issue. However we found a bug which we wanted to fix before release so resubmitted Tuesday evening. Within about an hour this second submission had been rejected (I have never seen app review work so fast). Their reasoning was because the screenshots were the wrong aspect ratio. Anyone who has used this process know that the screenshots have to be a certain size to be uploaded so the screenshots as a whole were fine. It seems that they were complaining about the aspect ratio of the screenshot that is within the screenshot. As far as I understand it, it is common for AUv3 screenshots to not be the same aspect ratio as the actual screen (e.g. our latest release Flux Mini 2). I was having an argument with someone at apple and they were saying that the screenshots were "long and thin" and not representative of the app. Eventually I gave up waiting for their next response (its been 12 hours now) and cancelled the review. Weirdly it then let me resubmit without changing anything.

Has this issue been a problem for any other devs? Is it likely that this new submission will work with a new reviewer? Will I even get a new reviewer? I've never had this problem before and I suspect its because I got someone who doesn't know about music apps let alone AUv3. Should I just take the knee and provide new screenshots which would probably have the same issue as it would look like I've done the same thing as the UI doesn't show fullscreen anyway. Example of the "offending" screenshot is at the bottom (purple one) - its no different from Flux Mini 2 which is fine! Below that is a screenshot of what it looks like loaded as an app which in my opinion is remarkably similar in that it looks "long and thin".

App submission trivia: I once had an issue where apple didn't accept Tape Cassette 2 because it "doesn't do enough". Again, probably someone who doesn't know what a music app even is.

Any advice/commiseration anyone can give would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks,
David

Comments

• I thought there were specific size formats which needed to be followed for these images. That is definitely a bizarre comment coming out of the review process. Maybe chalk it up to some new employee who has no idea what they're doing?

• @NeuM said:
    I thought there were specific size formats which needed to be followed for these images. That is definitely a bizarre comment coming out of the review process. Maybe chalk it up to some new employee who has no idea what they're doing?

Yeah, you can't actually upload an image if it's not the exact size. I really hope this to be the case. Only time will tell, its now saying "In Review".

• @CaelumAudio said:

@NeuM said:
    I thought there were specific size formats which needed to be followed for these images. That is definitely a bizarre comment coming out of the review process. Maybe chalk it up to some new employee who has no idea what they're doing?

Yeah, you can't actually upload an image if it's not the exact size. I really hope this to be the case. Only time will tell, its now saying "In Review".

Perhaps your image was 1 pixel off. ;)

• Argh! Another rejection worry. I've actually been wondering if this were going to happen, so I've started adding screenshots of the container app for my plugins. It's totally useless for anyone trying to see what the AU does, but I thought it might give a little protection from this.

I haven't had the experience you are describing of pulling a submission and then resubmitting, so I don't know that specific thing. My experience with appeals has been that it sat with the original review people until I escalated up the chain to the appeals team.

• edited May 2022

As far as I’m concerned @CaelumAudio you've been generous by offering versions of your apps for free that you can post whatever you want. Lol.

• Those look pretty much the same as other iPhone screenshots, aspect-wise.
    But for the typical iPad screenshots, they could be described as “long and thin”, I guess.

Maybe they want 2 sets, one for each aspect ratio for universal apps?
    (probably not helpful, but I thought I would chime in. I am enthusiastic about your apps.)

• edited May 2022

Edit: Resubmitting exactly the same thing turned out to work in pretty much record time for any of my apps... The process makes no sense.

@NeuM said:

@CaelumAudio said:

@NeuM said:

Perhaps your image was 1 pixel off. ;)

Aha, this is probably just the type of thing they look for! :D

@NeonSilicon said:
    Argh! Another rejection worry. I've actually been wondering if this were going to happen, so I've started adding screenshots of the container app for my plugins. It's totally useless for anyone trying to see what the AU does, but I thought it might give a little protection from this.

I haven't had the experience you are describing of pulling a submission and then resubmitting, so I don't know that specific thing. My experience with appeals has been that it sat with the original review people until I escalated up the chain to the appeals team.

I had been wondering the same for a while but was feeling a bit happy go lucky "nothing bad has happened yet so why should it now?!"

So far it's been in review for far longer so it may have worked. I checked the timestamps on the emails of status changing and yesterday it was rejected after just 17 minutes in review whereas now we are at over an hour.

@Poppadocrock said:
    As far as I’m concerned @CaelumAudio you've been generous by offering versions of your apps for free that you can post whatever you want. Lol.

Cheers! Can you please get a job at apple and start a music app review team? :D

@CracklePot said:
    Those look pretty much the same as other iPhone screenshots, aspect-wise.
    But for the typical iPad screenshots, they could be described as “long and thin”, I guess.

Maybe they want 2 sets, one for each aspect ratio for universal apps?
    (probably not helpful, but I thought I would chime in. I am enthusiastic about your apps.)

I initially thought the same as you! I had to check if I had accidentally deleted the "full-screen" screenshot between submissions but I didn't! These are the iPad screenshots:

• Success!
    🥳
    Looking forward to the release!

• Aha. Congrats. Sometimes things happen for completely ridiculous reasons. Glad you got it through.