Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Request new Mozaic Scripts *HERE*

Comments

• heshes
    edited March 2022

@GeeBee said:
    . . . I would have never been able to figure it out on my own.

You were definitely on the right track, there was some way to get it working the way you were headed. The main change I would recommend from initial effort is to make sure to put all the code in the @OnMidiCC event. That event effectively filters out all the 0xB0 commands. So, to me, it really just confuses things to put code in @OnMidiInput that does it own separate filtering for 0xB0 commands. Just put it all in one event, helps you keep things straight, and you never need to test for 0xB0 explicitly, since it's implicit in how the Mozaic system works (i.e., all 0xB0 commands, and only 0xB0 commands, will trigger @OnMidiCC event).

• @hes said:

@GeeBee said:
    . . . I would have never been able to figure it out on my own.

You were definitely on the right track, there was some way to get it working the way you were headed. The main change I would recommend from initial effort is to make sure to put all the code in the @OnMidiCC event. That event effectively filters out all the 0xB0 commands. So, to me, it really just confuses things to put code in @OnMidiInput that does it own separate filtering for 0xB0 commands. Just put it all in one event, helps you keep things straight, and you never need to test for 0xB0 explicitly, since it's implicit in how the Mozaic system works (i.e., all 0xB0 commands, and only 0xB0 commands, will trigger @OnMidiCC event).

Great advise, this is just my fourth attempt at coding in Mozaic and it's fun learning from you guys. Thanks again to the lot.

• @hes said:

@GeeBee said:

@OnMidiInput 
                                                    // no code here
    @END    

@OnMidiCC
      if (MIDIByte2 >=4) and (MIDIByte2<=7) 
          if MIDIByte3 = 127 then
               newstate = 1                 // we’re  turning on a pad
          Else
               newstate = 0                // we’re turning off a pad
          Endif

pad = MidiByte2 - 4              // convert blueboard midi # to mosaic pad #
      LatchPad pad, newstate      // turn the pad on or off, as appropriate

else SendMIDIThru

endif

If newstate = 1                      // if turning on a pad, send the appropriate cc message
        SendMidiCC 0, pad, MIDIByte3
     Endif

I'm not sure how your system works, or what those SendMidiCC commands are even used for, but it seems like you would want to modify things so that the 'SendMidiCC' line can't get executed if the message isn't a MidiByte2 of 4 thru 7. Seems like as it is you'd get undesired repeated execution of the 'SendMidiCC' line if you use the expression pedal after last press of a button moves it to 'On' state.

Two different ways to fix that:

1. Add 'newstate = 0' line immediately after @OnMidiCC,
      -- or --
    2. Move the 'if newstate=1' structure up to be immediately before the 'else' line, so it gets executed only if MidiByte2 is 4 thru 7.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the system entirely and you need to have that last if structure separate to get desired behavior. I can't see why, though.

I hadn't seen this suggestion before. I am going to try it out during the week end. But in any case the system works as intended. Basically I have just one expression pedal connected to the Blueboard, but when I am playing an instrument......say for the sake of argument , a SWAM Trumpet - if I press button A , I can send the pedal info to increase or decrease the volume, once the volume is at the desired level, I can press the button B and send the pedal info to modulate the Growl of the trumpet, and , further if I switch to a trumpet which has a "mute" I can press the C button and move back and forth the mute "a la Louis Armstrong".........and so on an so forth. Its like having four different expression pedals which I can handle with my foot while playing a wind controller or a Midi Guitar.

• heshes
    edited March 2022

@GeeBee said:

@hes said:

@GeeBee said:

@OnMidiInput 
                                                    // no code here
    @END    

@OnMidiCC
          if MIDIByte3 = 127 then
          Else
          Endif

else SendMIDIThru

endif

If newstate = 1                      // if turning on a pad, send the appropriate cc message
     Endif

I'm not sure how your system works, or what those SendMidiCC commands are even used for, but it seems like you would want to modify things so that the 'SendMidiCC' line can't get executed if the message isn't a MidiByte2 of 4 thru 7. Seems like as it is you'd get undesired repeated execution of the 'SendMidiCC' line if you use the expression pedal after last press of a button moves it to 'On' state.

-- or --
    2. Move the 'if newstate=1' structure up to be immediately before the 'else' line, so it gets executed only if MidiByte2 is 4 thru 7.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the system entirely and you need to have that last if structure separate to get desired behavior. I can't see why, though.

. . . if I press button A , I can send the pedal info to increase or decrease the volume, once the volume is at the desired level, I can press the button B and send the pedal info to modulate the Growl of the trumpet, and , further if I switch to a trumpet which has a "mute" I can press the C button and move back and forth the mute "a la Louis Armstrong".........and so on an so forth.

If I understand correctly, then the spurious SendMidiCC command won't hurt anything, since it's just resetting the target to what it already is (i.e., last pressed button). Would still be good idea to fix it, though.

Also, if I understand things, then the Blueboard buttons are not actually independent. That is, you want to have only one that is active at a time. Is that right? Your current code doesn't reset the other three to off when you press a button, so if you want to switch to a button that's already on you need to click it twice, once to unlatch, then again to latch and get the MidiCC command sent. If so, that's something you might want to change also. If only one should be active at a time, you'd want to unlatch the three that are inactive in Mozaic.

• Had a look at the manual and the switches are momentary, no latching there. The ccs sent by the switches are a:20, b:21, c:22, d:23. The ccs sent by the pedals are 12 and 13.

• @hes said:

@GeeBee said:

@hes said:

@GeeBee said:

@OnMidiInput 
                                                    // no code here
    @END    

@OnMidiCC
          if MIDIByte3 = 127 then
          Else
          Endif

else SendMIDIThru

endif

Endif

-- or --

. . . if I press button A , I can send the pedal info to increase or decrease the volume, once the volume is at the desired level, I can press the button B and send the pedal info to modulate the Growl of the trumpet, and , further if I switch to a trumpet which has a "mute" I can press the C button and move back and forth the mute "a la Louis Armstrong".........and so on an so forth.

If I understand correctly, then the spurious SendMidiCC command won't hurt anything, since it's just resetting the target to what it already is (i.e., last pressed button). Would still be good idea to fix it, though.

Also, if I understand things, then the Blueboard buttons are not actually independent. That is, you want to have only one that is active at a time. Is that right? Your current code doesn't reset the other three to off when you press a button, so if you want to switch to a button that's already on you need to click it twice, once to unlatch, then again to latch and get the MidiCC command sent. If so, that's something you might want to change also. If only one should be active at a time, you'd want to unlatch the three that are inactive in Mozaic.

Thanks for taking so much care to understand how it works. You are absolutely spot on. Currently when I press a Blueboard Pad it remains "on" and illuminated until I press it again to turn it off and then jump to the another one. It would certainly be great to have it turn off automatically when I press another one . But my coding knowledge is far from being able to find a solution. That is why I designed it in the current rudimentary way....... ( Actually originally I had the idea of having 5 different Pedal MidiCC sent, one when no pad is pressed and the 4 others when pads A,B,C or D are pressed......)

• @Alfred said:
    Had a look at the manual and the switches are momentary, no latching there. The ccs sent by the switches are a:20, b:21, c:22, d:23. The ccs sent by the pedals are 12 and 13.

Actually it all depends on how you program the Blueboard. It has 128 banks , each with 4 switches, and you can assign 128 CC numbers to each of the switches , further each bank can be sent either to ALL channels or to 16 alternative channels. Additionally both pedal inputs can be assigned also 128 different CC numbers.
    The banks can be changed by making a long press on button A ( Up ) or button B (down ).
    It is very versatile particularly when you are playing an instrument where your two hands are busy.
    So in theory with the appropiate coding of a Mozaic plugin , with one pedal you could send information to a tonload of Control Commands with different numbers and in different channels......... but 4 or 5 is more than enough for my needs so far at least, and it is not too complicated to remember what each of the 4 or 5 Pedal CC messages is supposed to modulate. In any case thanks for the interest and contribution to the discussion. CHeers

• Ah ok you are using the blueboard app :)
    I was using the direct bluetooth connection into aum.

• @Alfred said:
    Ah ok you are using the blueboard app :)

I was never able to connect it using the direct method into AUM. It just does not show up. I have to go through the Blueboard App. It might be that I have an old iOS which does not support it. In any case through the app it works

• @GeeBee said:

@Alfred said:

I was never able to connect it using the direct method into AUM. It just does not show up. I have to go through the Blueboard App. It might be that I have an old iOS which does not support it. In any case through the app it works

You probably didn't set your blueboard to the right mode. In its default mode, it is not visible to the OS. You need to hold down the second or third pad when you turn on the Blueboard for it to be visible. It will stay in that mode till you change it. In one of those modes the blueboard transmits CCs and the other notes.

• @espiegel123 said:

@GeeBee said:

@Alfred said:

You probably didn't set your blueboard to the right mode. In its default mode, it is not visible to the OS. You need to hold down the second or third pad when you turn on the Blueboard for it to be visible. It will stay in that mode till you change it. In one of those modes the blueboard transmits CCs and the other notes.

Thanks , I turned it on pressing the C button , and it does show up. It connects for a second or two , but it doesn't hold . I don't know , it might be something to do with the iOs or perhaps there is a new firmware for the board ( I still have to check that but the wireless firmware app for the iPad does not seem to work either ).

• @GeeBee said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GeeBee said:

@Alfred said:

Thanks , I turned it on pressing the C button , and it does show up. It connects for a second or two , but it doesn't hold . I don't know , it might be something to do with the iOs or perhaps there is a new firmware for the board ( I still have to check that but the wireless firmware app for the iPad does not seem to work either ).

My blueboard has no trouble staying connected unless the batteries wear down. Btw, once you have booted in mode C (or B) you don't have to hold the pad down every time you turn it on unless you want to change the mode.

If it isn't staying connected, make sure it has fresh batteries -- and maybe reboot your iPad or iPhone.

If yours is an old Blueboard and you never installed the new firmware, there is an iOS app that will update the firmware -- though i never had a problem with disconnections before I updated the firmware (the firmware update is a few years old).

• @espiegel123 said:

@GeeBee said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GeeBee said:

@Alfred said:

My blueboard has no trouble staying connected unless the batteries wear down. Btw, once you have booted in mode C (or B) you don't have to hold the pad down every time you turn it on unless you want to change the mode.

If it isn't staying connected, make sure it has fresh batteries -- and maybe reboot your iPad or iPhone.

If yours is an old Blueboard and you never installed the new firmware, there is an iOS app that will update the firmware -- though i never had a problem with disconnections before I updated the firmware (the firmware update is a few years old).

Thanks for taking the trouble to find a solution . Batteries are brand new. Bluetooth Firmware software does not get connected either. Rebooted iPad with no joy, I have exactly the same behaviour with the iPhone. I will try one of these days to update the Blueboard firmware with the WIndows app, once I get to turning on a spare PC I have somwhere .

• @GeeBee said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GeeBee said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GeeBee said:

@Alfred said:

Thanks for taking the trouble to find a solution . Batteries are brand new. Bluetooth Firmware software does not get connected either. Rebooted iPad with no joy, I have exactly the same behaviour with the iPhone. I will try one of these days to update the Blueboard firmware with the WIndows app, once I get to turning on a spare PC I have somwhere .

Did you follow the instructions for the app explicitly? If I remember correctly, there was a specific sequence I had to go through, but it worked smoothly then, whereas the Windows app failed. There was a pdf document I downloaded that provided those steps.

There's a really helpful thread here somewhere on updating the BlueBoard firmware ... found it ... https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/31257/how-to-update-blueboard-firmware-on-windows

I think sometimes BLE Midi connections can be unreliable if people have also attempted pairing through iOS Settings > Bluetooth. If a pairing profile shows there, then telling iOS to "forget" that connection can sometimes help.

• @GeeBee said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GeeBee said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GeeBee said:

@Alfred said:

Are you saying that the iOS firmware updating app can't connect?

Have you done a hard reset of the iPad?

• @wim said:

@GeeBee said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GeeBee said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GeeBee said:

@Alfred said:

Did you follow the instructions for the app explicitly? If I remember correctly, there was a specific sequence I had to go through, but it worked smoothly then, whereas the Windows app failed. There was a pdf document I downloaded that provided those steps.

There's a really helpful thread here somewhere on updating the BlueBoard firmware ... found it ... https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/31257/how-to-update-blueboard-firmware-on-windows

I think sometimes BLE Midi connections can be unreliable if people have also attempted pairing through iOS Settings >

Bluetooth. If a pairing profile shows there, then telling iOS to "forget" that connection can sometimes help.

Thanks guys I will eventually keep on trying the different solutions. For the time being , what I have is working wonderfully and I really do not want to mess it, I have a couple of gigs in the next two weeks and I can't risk fooling around too much with the iPad and Blueboard. If I manage to make it work directly I will let you know. This group is priceless !!

• @espiegel123 said:

@GeeBee said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GeeBee said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GeeBee said:

@Alfred said:

Yes it's the firmware app that does not work, that is , it does not connect ( and I followed the instructions and even invented some ) If by hard reset you mean turning it off completely and then back on again , yes. I will not touch anything else on the iPad , last time I fooled around with different reset options I had to reisntall the whole system .........not nice. Thanks in any case guys. I will eventually keep on trying the different solutions. For the time being , what I have is working wonderfully and I really do not want to mess it, I have a couple of gigs in the next two weeks and I can't risk fooling around too much with the iPad and Blueboard. If I manage to make it work directly I will let you know. This group is priceless !!

• @GeeBee said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GeeBee said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GeeBee said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GeeBee said:

@Alfred said:

Yes it's the firmware app that does not work, that is , it does not connect ( and I followed the instructions and even invented some ) If by hard reset you mean turning it off completely and then back on again , yes. I will not touch anything else on the iPad , last time I fooled around with different reset options I had to reisntall the whole system .........not nice. Thanks in any case guys. I will eventually keep on trying the different solutions. For the time being , what I have is working wonderfully and I really do not want to mess it, I have a couple of gigs in the next two weeks and I can't risk fooling around too much with the iPad and Blueboard. If I manage to make it work directly I will let you know. This group is priceless !!

About hard reset:

https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=hard_and_soft_reset&amp;s[]=hard&amp;s[]=reset

It is more thorough power cycling. It isn't destructive.

• @wim said:

@Poppadocrock said:
    Is there a Note Length script? Note Length to alter the length of incoming MIDI notes. Maybe even apply a random length based on user set parameters. So I could pick two ranges, Let’s say for example 1/8 to 1/2 bar, and it randomly changes each incoming note length to a length the size of or in between my selected lengths.

Note Length Mugger v1.0 is now available on patchstorage.com.

I can’t say I’ve tested it as extensively a I’d like, in particular when unexpected values are dialed in (for instance, division greater than difference between lengths, etc.). There are a lot of possible combinations, and I just don’t have the time to test them all. But, what I’ve tested seems solid, and I’m not seeing stuck notes, the worst enemy of scripts like this.

NOTE LENGTH MUGGER v1.0

This plugin can alter the length of MIDI notes passed through it in many ways. Non-note MIDI is passed through unaltered.

Set a range of note lengths using the first two knobs and the multipliers below them. These are the minimum and maximum note lengths.

DIV: is the granularity of the change in lengths between them.

The fourth knob sets the mode:
    FIXED: Length is always equal to the first length.
    STEP: Lengths increase by Div. increments then reset.
    UP/DOWN: Lengths go up and down by Div. increments.
    ALTERNATE: Note lengths alternate between the smaller and larger length knobs
    RANDOM: Note lengths change by random Div. between the two lengths.

PROB: Probability of note length being changed vs. as-played.

SHIFT toggles the help screen.

THANK YOU!!!

I used this to change midi note length to play Drum Computer from an e-drum kit, where the default note lengh is too short to trigger the synth.

It works perfectly in this respect.

Thank you for recommending this patch. I wanna make some witty comment but way too tired now, just so happy it’s working.

• Thanks @Kewe_Esse - it's always nice to hear back when a script is useful.
    I had forgotten how many options were in that script.

• Hi all, apologies if this has been answered already.
    I have just discovered two m4l devices by Jacob Sachs-Mishlanie called Cartographer and Spike. They’re free devices and it’s fair to say they have completely revolutionised the way I make music. Rather than explain what they do , which would be quite tricky, I’ll direct you to his site, here : https://jsmishalanie.com/max

Now, what would be incredible, is to find that there is a Mozaic script that can do what Spike does, but in the iOS environment. In short, it creates a flurry of notes, within given parameters. Watch Jake’s vids to better understand.

Anyone know of anything like this?
    Thanks!

• @Kashi said:
    Now, what would be incredible, is to find that there is a Mozaic script that can do what Spike does, but in the iOS environment. In short, it creates a flurry of notes, within given parameters. Watch Jake’s vids to better understand.

Anyone know of anything like this?
    Thanks!

I'm not familiar with Spike but a script called Clusters might be similar. I've just been using it and it has quite a few parameters to tweak but there may be a way to get something like Spike going. In any event it can do unusual variations and note streams.

https://patchstorage.com/clusters/

• wimwim
    edited May 2022

I haven't watched the videos, but "flurry of notes within given parameters" makes me think of the app Cality. That one might be worth checking out.

[edit] - after looking at the description and a bit of the video, Cality isn't a fit.

• Thanks @wim - yes I had thought of Cality too (which I have and really like), but it's not quite what Spike does. Thanks for your suggestion though :)

• Thanks @Stochastically - I'll investigate. The name "Clusters" is promising!

I'm not familiar with Spike but a script called Clusters might be similar. I've just been using it and it has quite a few parameters to tweak but there may be a way to get something like Spike going. In any event it can do unusual variations and note streams.

• McDMcD
    edited May 2022

This interval interface for a MIDI controller just cries out for a Moziac implementation:

I have a basic prototype implemented using "Layout 2" and need to add scales and implement the 4 knobs. But many versions of the sequencer capabilities could be developed and how to map the 9 buttons to Mozaic options is also subject to interpretations that could be developed by many
    clever minds.

• @McD said:
    This interval interface for a MIDI controller just cries out for a Moziac implementation:

I have a basic prototype implemented using "Layout 2" and need to add scales and implement the 4 knobs. But many versions of the sequencer capabilities could be developed and how to map the 9 buttons to Mozaic options is also subject to interpretations that could be developed by many
    clever minds.

I know I've seen something like that before, maybe it was in the original Mozaic thread. It wasn't a Mozaic script, but it was a piece of software, and I think it used the chromatic scale. Some kind of "relative stepping keyboard". Wish I could remember the name of it.

• Samchilian

• @Alfred said:
    Samchilian

Thanks, I guess that may have been the original. Good to know! I'll have to look into that.

Maybe the video I saw was of some unreleased software. I think it was. It would be nice to know more about how the concept has been done in the past, in order to create a better interface.

Something that combines the relative thing with an interface like ChordMaps2 would be interesting for composing. Something that allows you to be playful while doing things that would normally require a high level of fluency. And preferably, something that allows you to jump to a specific note without activating it.

I don't know how much demand there would be for this type of thing, but it would be fun. Especially when combined with an MPE controller type of interface. Maybe I'll just wait for the @McD version and see if I feel inspired to expand upon it.

• McDMcD
    edited May 2022

Before tackling the sequencing functions, it occurred to me that pads could be played in combinations to make chords and the intervals make for interesting combinations. You can also hold a pad and tap up or down in scales or larger intervals.

Then it occurred to me to add some pedal notes on the lower set of 8 (Root, 5th, 4th and 6th notes) to anchor the arps of notes.

CAUTION - TURN THIS ONE DOWN. IT COMES IN HOT. This is all upper 8 pads being held for chords.