Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Multicassa in Drambo or other modular playground?

edited May 2022 in App Tips and Tricks

I got hold of one of these odd wee beasties lately and I’ve been trying to replicate the way the sequencer works in software…

https://www.leploop.org/m/multicassa-lep-loop/

It’s basically four clock dividers that are then mixed in pairs, each pair then somehow balanced so that you get interesting rhythms…

I’ve tried figuring out a way to mix clock dividers in drambo, but they put out gates, and I’ve thought about using a square wave lfo but I’d need to make a pulse imitate a gate somehow I guess…

Any clues anyone?

Comments

• edited May 2022

Huh! I give this box the first price for the most awful sounding box in a while 😅

You really want to re-build it in poor Drambo?

If you can tell me what you need I'm happy to help.

• I think I’ve kinda started solving it; a square wave oscillator with a narrow pulse width, deers into a pulse divider, then that into four others, with each pair of those mixed with a standard mixer. Those signals then trigger an envelope…

It kinda works but the rhythms aren’t as funky as the hardware - I think it might be that the divider on the hardware isn’t precise maybe? I’ll have another go later and see if i can upload a patch… I guess the advantage of making it in software works is that the trigger setup can be applied to any sound.

It is a funny wee thing, maybe not the best sounding box, but I quite like it, and the rolling pattern generation is really hypnotic and mellow to play with - I wish it had all three triggers as an output though…

• Can you draw a diagram with the rhythms you have in mind?
    I don't have the box in front of me so I can't toy around with it.

• Might be tomorrow but I’ll try and record off it soon, actually I might have one lurking on my phone 😁

• edited May 2022

https://youtube.com/shorts/CiRP_9TJ7T8?feature=share

I think there’s another oscillator just doing it’s thing in the background, was the other day so I’ve slept since 😁

Edit: I’ll deffo record something that’s clearer tomorrow

• https://patchstorage.com/cassabassa/

Attempt, it does work but I think I need to take a more organic / analogue approach…

• @Krupa said:

I’ve tried figuring out a way to mix clock dividers in drambo, but they put out gates, and I’ve thought about using a square wave lfo but I’d need to make a pulse imitate a gate somehow I guess…

In modular, those are the same thing, aren't they?

I know nothing about Drambo, but recreating this should be a lot easier in MiRack than in a midi environment. To make it less regular you could modulate the various parameters.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@Krupa said:

In modular, those are the same thing, aren't they?

I know nothing about Drambo, but recreating this should be a lot easier in MiRack than in a midi environment. To make it less regular you could modulate the various parameters.

Yeah, I did figure out that I can use a fireball as a gate in drambo, I couldn’t seem to do it the other way round though… I’ll likely give it a go in mirack as well 👍👍

• edited May 2022

@Krupa said:
    https://patchstorage.com/cassabassa/

Attempt, it does work but I think I need to take a more organic / analogue approach…

Looking at the block diagram, I'd say you'll need two more essential components after each Amp Env to get that wild organic sound:

Adding a Graphic Shaper after each of these blocks will bring you even further into Wavetable Distortion territory but the above should get you going in terms of sound.

Strictly speaking you don't even need oscillators because the pulses work on their own when fed into the band pass filters with high resonance but the oscillators certainly give you more choice.

Agreed with @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr, a gate signal is a CV signal, Drambo doesn't care where it comes from except that it can be polyphonic (which isn't possible in miRack...)
    (BTW @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr, Drambo is a modular synth in the first place that happens to be able to work with CV/Gate and MIDI at the same time).

• Nice one, I’ll definitely be adding filters and more at some point, some modulation too. later on last night I tried again with just a resonator module as the destination for the mixed and that worked a bit better; the sounds made were clearer in the first place so it was easier to identify the different rhythms. I’m wondering if there’s something more missing during the mix of the triggers, maybe a threshold or the pots in the hardware are non linear maybe, open the box time I think 😁

• @Krupa said:
    Nice one, I’ll definitely be adding filters and more at some point, some modulation too. later on last night I tried again with just a resonator module as the destination for the mixed and that worked a bit better; the sounds made were clearer in the first place so it was easier to identify the different rhythms. I’m wondering if there’s something more missing during the mix of the triggers, maybe a threshold or the pots in the hardware are non linear maybe, open the box time I think 😁

My guess is that they've only used peaking filters with self-oscillating resonance capability because resonators like in Drambo are harder to build in hardware.
    I'd definitely play with all the settings, there's so much to tweak with these few modules already!

• Yeah, riding that resonant west in the hardware is where the fun is at, it feels like the interactions of the sounds make the rhythms evolve.

• edited May 2022

Damn, you have a knack for seeking out the interesting gadgets… just checked the multicassa, love that organic rhythm generation. And that led me to look at their Leploop: what a gorgeous thing!

With chaos built in by design:

“ Over time, as the analog sequencer cycles through its pattern, the signal will degrade and the sound will change. This is because the capacitor can only store the signal for a limited amount of time.”

And then there’s this endorsement, quoted on the website:

“An unexpected review written by Chris Carter, ( Throbbing Gristle, Chris & Cosey ), he performed, recorded and upload on soundcloud short sound example.

I’ve used a lot of synths over the years but this one is something different… it’s a strange instrument. It’s small, much smaller than it appears in photos: it is part synth, part drum machine, part multi-track sequencer. I’m still figuring it all out but initial impressions are that it’s very unpredictable and slightly unstable… but in a good way.

Colour me interested…

• @Svetlovska 😬😁

Sorry, I damn myself, I actually spotted this on Facebook market first off, followed the research rabbit and found it really cheap on reverb from a relatively local seller; ended up buying his rebel tech witch at the same time 😂

LEP stuff looks ace, I kinda mostly got it a honest to god research, I can imagine that the circuit is simple enough for me to reverse engineer it in tube form as part of the arts work, I’ll see, but thyratrons are definitely in the list of ‘things to investigate’ in the next couple of months…neon lamps too, really really weird things can be done with those!

• edited May 2022

Well, let me know if you ever branch into boutique eurorack module design… beta tester here! :) I just got a quote for the Leploop from the friendly and responsive Italian makers: “Leploop v3 €720 shipping to UK €20”. Trouble is, I don’t know what Brexit might load on top of that too…

• Maybe once I’ve learned and properly understood the meaning and implementation of impedance my nonsense won’t be a danger to all that proper stuff, in the meantime I’m keeping it well behind old mixers that I don’t much worry about burning out 😅

• edited May 2022

@Svetlovska said:

I just got a quote for the Leploop from the friendly and responsive Italian makers: “Leploop v3 €720 shipping to UK €20”. Trouble is, I don’t know what Brexit might load on top of that too…

That's crazy money. You can almost get a Plumbutter for that much. Check it out if you like weird unpredictable rhythms.

• @Svetlovska said:
    Damn, you have a knack for seeking out the interesting gadgets… just checked the multicassa, love that organic rhythm generation. And that led me to look at their Leploop: what a gorgeous thing!

Colour me interested…

I got inspired to try and emulate this one just now, actually I’ve not done a bad job with this patch, needs a lot of dialling in before it’s as subtle as the leploop but seems to work quite well… !

I’ve got two buttons here that each activate the buffer / sequencer to record either an lfo S&R, or a CV sequencer, then that gets fed back buffer via the mixer. The analog filter acts as the degradation method, with the slider controlling how extreme that degradation is…

I guess there’s lots of options to explore in terms of signal degradation as well, some way of doing it more on a step basis would be cool, but I’m not sure how well I can do that with the buffer objects…